Attack of the Clones is a great Star Wars movie!

Reaction score
... why didn't Nute Gunray make Padme wear a bikini? (or a burlap sack?)
I know you’re just kidding (as usual), but the Neimodians always gave the impression that they were eunuchs and any sign of s e x would have them screaming and running away like little girls…

When I first saw them in the TPM trailers, they instantly gave off a deliciously creepy Emperor’s courtiers (of ROTJ) meets Skeksis vibe. Unfortunately, once they spoke in the film, they immediately were relegated to the ineffectual villain role that no one was afraid of. They weren’t even slimey, shady and decadent in effect :sigh: And the “Shoot her— or something” was so clueless that AOTC proved to be so lacking in bite. All the AOTC “villains" resembled rejects from The Island of Misfit Toys. AOTC is the perfect argument as to why SW should have less aliens... :double sigh:…

(And I can’t brush off it’s AOTC that depicts the Jedi and Amidala as heartless— couldn’t be bothered to free Shmi from slavery for a little boy’s peace of mind. It would be the least Queen Amidala and her entire planet could have done for the kid that saved them all. Shmi simply had be be bought to be freed— and from a broke Watto [by far the best “character” of The Prequel], BTW. It’s not like Watto’s a powerful gangster holding on to Shmi and refusing to free/sell her out of spite. Both the Jedi and Amidala are giant a*sholes. And that Obi-Wan snootily dismissing Anakin’s bad dreams of his mum with “Dreams pass in time…” What a giant b*tch LOL)

Last edited:
Reaction score

(And I can’t brush off it’s AOTC that depicts the Jedi and Amidala as heartless— couldn’t be bothered to free Shmi from slavery for a little boy’s peace of mind. It would be the least Queen Amidala and her entire planet could have done for the kid that saved them all. Shmi simply had be be bought to be freed— and from a broke Watto [by far the best “character” of The Prequel], BTW. It’s not like Watto’s a powerful gangster holding on to Shmi and refusing to free/sell her out of spite. Both the Jedi and Amidala are giant a*sholes. And that Obi-Wan snootily dismissing Anakin’s bad dreams of his mum with “Dreams pass in time…” What a giant b*tch LOL)
I'd never even thought about this before!

Last edited:
Reaction score
^^^ Add to that Amidala— who’s on the run from assassins (why is she even on the run???? Just keep her securely locked up at The Jedi Temple until it’s time for her to vote…), and slumming it in the farmlands of Tatooine, keeps changing into Barbie-style prom dresses and elaborate hairstyles like she’s on holiday. She’s literally more vapid than Paris Hilton in A Simple Life. What a wretched being… How can Anakin fall for her?!?!? I was so glad when she finally bit the dust. Good riddance.

By concept, AOTC possesses that brand of potential that’s ripe for the best of SW-mythology: Doomed, star-crossed lovers coming together— with one who would become the ultimate Sith of the most ruthless Empire, while the other would be the champion of that Empire’s opposing Rebellion. And all this in the time of The Clone Wars' inception, secretly instigated by The Sith, at the dawn of the golden age of the Republic…

That right there is the stuff of great legends that would rival classical mythology (that theme “Across The Stars” is sweepingly epic that deserved so much better…). But this movie… this Saturday-morning, campy, cartoon with all the finesse of a Barbie DVD, and the telenovela-dialogue-- is what George ended up with LOOOL …:sigh:...

More power to anyone that digs this hot mess!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I know you’re just kidding (as usual), but the Neimodians always gave the impression that they were eunuchs and any sign of s e x would have them screaming and running away like little girls…

When I first saw them in the TPM trailers, they instantly gave off a deliciously creepy Emperor’s courtiers (of ROTJ) meets Skeksis vibe. Unfortunately, once they spoke in the film, they immediately were relegated to the ineffectual villain role that no one was afraid of. They weren’t even slimey, shady and decadent in effect :sigh: And the “Shoot her— or something” was so clueless that AOTC proved to be so lacking in bite. All the AOTC “villains" resembled rejects from The Island of Misfit Toys. AOTC is the perfect argument as to why SW should have less aliens... :double sigh:…

I’ve actually thought about that before. Why not help Anakin get his mother back. It’s not like Pademe didn’t have the money. But, you know they couldn’t. Because we wouldn’t get Darth Vader.

Reaction score
Not to mention that you're missing the biggest point, that all Younglings are "taken" from their parents by the Jedi. Why would this instance be any different?

Reaction score
^^^ That may be. But the difference between Anakin and the rest of the kiddies is that he did just saved an entire planet, along with being a strong contender for The Chosen One. Fine if the Jedi are that cold and heartless to insist on the continued suffering of a child by abandoning his enslaved mother to God knows what fate, but what’s Amidala’s reason for not helping?

I think it was RedLetterMedia that pointed out the hilarity, the absolute absurdity of AOTC: Nute/Dooku hiring Jango to off Amidala— only for him to subcontract Zam, who in turn sends a droid… who drops off some bugs in an attempt to finally take out Amidala LOOL It’s so ridiculous that I love love love it… And just how do these bugs know exactly whom to poison…??? They were smart enough to avoid Artoo’s sensors… They must have been intelligent alien bugs just “doing their job” before Anakin sliced them up. Poor things.

Reaction score
Wasn't the failure of the Jedi Order (their arrogance, dogmatic views, mixed teachings on emotions etc) a big part of story? I always thought it was. I'm not (and never was) surprised at the many terrible ways the Jedi acted...that was kind of the whole point. It was the Jedi that created Vader and allowed the Sith to return (as so eloquently told to us in The Last *****how) and it was their inward thinking and arrogance that did it.

Taking kids from their families and failing Anakin in almost every way possible was par for the course.

Reaction score
^^^ That may be. But the difference between Anakin and the rest of the kiddies is that he did just saved an entire planet, along with being a strong contender for The Chosen One. Fine if the Jedi are that cold and heartless to insist on the continued suffering of a child by abandoning his enslaved mother to God knows what fate, but what’s Amidala’s reason for not helping?

I think it was RedLetterMedia that pointed out the hilarity, the absolute absurdity of AOTC: Nute/Dooku hiring Jango to off Amidala— only for him to subcontract Zam, who in turn sends a droid… who drops off some bugs in an attempt to finally take out Amidala LOOL It’s so ridiculous that I love love love it… And just how do these bugs know exactly whom to poison…??? They were smart enough to avoid Artoo’s sensors… They must have been intelligent alien bugs just “doing their job” before Anakin sliced them up. Poor things.
re: the two "working class" bugs: I imagine a Jersey accent, working for an NYC labor union: "Yo Sully! Is 'dis the girl we was supposed to whack? ..or whut?" *[always silent, Sully merely shrugs]*

Reaction score
Wasn't the failure of the Jedi Order (their arrogance, dogmatic views, mixed teachings on emotions etc) a big part of story? I always thought it was. I'm not (and never was) surprised at the many terrible ways the Jedi acted...that was kind of the whole point. It was the Jedi that created Vader and allowed the Sith to return (as so eloquently told to us in The Last *****how) and it was their inward thinking and arrogance that did it.

Taking kids from their families and failing Anakin in almost every way possible was par for the course.
according to qui-gon (and the script of the movie): the Jedi failed because they stopped listening to the "Will of the Force" (qui-gon's words not mine); their "loyalty is to democracy" (obi-wan's words not mine).

--> it was all about "Separation of Church and State".

they stopped following their own god. the ONLY followed the Politicians. (until they found themselves following a Sith Lord).

this stuff is actually IN the movie. (not just in the supplemental EU stuff, like the story of Snoke, and the backstory of TFA).

Last edited:
Reaction score

The way you feel about the entirety of TLJ is how I feel about George’s execution of The Prequel…

But unlike this (absolutely pointless) Sequel— which lacks any growth, inventiveness, passion and potential— or just basic direction, it’s so frustrating how the great concepts and enormous potential of The Prequel are completely squandered by such sloppy execution. I get that the Jedi Order are meant to be seen as arrogant, detached and losing their compassion, their humanity and their humility, but it’s not there on the screen: The audience is told many things— but we’re not shown much, if at all. Whereas, Dave’s The Clone Wars series, actually gets that right and we are shown what is important: Heart. In George’s hands, the Jedi are just snooty, b*tchy, lazy, and just plain mean girls— even to a little boy who may just be their Chosen One: Why does Mace seem to loath Anakin so much, even going as far as telling him that he doesn’t trusts him…??? There are too many important questions left unanswered in this trilogy, when it needn’t be, had George put in the effort. And by effort, I do mean collaborate with strong writers and directors than himself. (Once again, that Amidala/Anakin on Coruscant at the eve of the fall of The Republic scene… I weep at what The Prequel could have been…) I guess that little thing called pride being one’s downfall-- that theme George attempted to tell with The Prequel, is something he didn’t notice about himself...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Listen everyone. I’ve heard ALL of the negative arguments about the prequels before. But, I don’t want to read any more complaining.

Instead, let’s focus on what they got right.

I enjoy that’s Lucas spent a lot of time with the prequels in giving us something different, that we haven’t seen before. So soon do people forget all of the positives. Dave Filoni would have never had such a great Star Wars cartoon without the characters, and world that George creates in the prequels.

I love that we get to see the Jedi in all of their glory with more lightsaber fights than we got in the original films. I love how bad *** Ray Park was as Darth Maul bringing his Martial arts expertise to make Darth Maul a bad *** Sith Lord. I loved Christopher Lee as Count Dooku. It was awesome to see Palpatine use his force Lightening again, and use his lightsaber for the first time. I love all of the original action sequences and worlds Lucas created. The new vehicles, ships, and characters.

Lucas made it a point to not copy any of his previous films, and offer us something new, exciting, and different. I seem to remember A LOT of fans cheering, and clapping after each prequel when it debut.

What I’m not going to do is spend my time focusing on the negative. If I want to do that, I’ll join the sequel discussion.

Reaction score
if you wanted to talk about the sequels , THEN you'd join the sequel discussion.
if you wanted to talk about AOTC , you would talk about AOTC.
and if you want to control & dictate people's opinions, you would join the nazi party and denounce free speech altogether.

you can't have it both ways.

you are either asking for an honest discussion of AOTC (which we have given) .. or you're asking for a "Hell Yeah!" consensus, to fit your OWN view.
(which, apparently, is already established. so why even bother, to ask US what WE think? -- in that case, our opinions are irrelevant.
since you ONLY want to hear from people who share YOUR opinion -- why did you EVEN ask!?) :wtf:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don’t want to read any more complaining.
You may need to go back to your echo chamber Joe. :D

BTW, this is a discussion forum. You're going to come across opinions that will differ from yours. It's no biggie, they're just opinions on silly movies.

Reaction score
if you wanted to talk about the sequels , THEN you'd join the sequel discussion.
if you wanted to talk about AOTC , you would talk about AOTC.
and if you want to control & dictate people's opinions, you would join the nazi party and denounce free speech altogether.

you can't have it both ways.

you are either asking for an honest discussion of AOTC (which we have given) .. or you're asking for a "Hell Yeah!" consensus, to fit your OWN view.
(which, apparently, is already established. so why even bother, to ask US what WE think? -- in that case, our opinions are irrelevant.
since you ONLY want to hear from people who share YOUR opinion -- why did you EVEN ask!?) :wtf:
okay, so clearly your easily offended, and now you’re comparing me to Nazi’s. Do all prequel haters have your sweet disposition? Or just people that likely to complain endlessly?

A guy starts a thread about a film he thinks is great in a series, and instead of adding anything positive to the conversation
All I read is compliant after complaint from you and the other negative Nancy in this thread. It’s all been said before, I’m glad you haven’t gotten over the failures of a movie that came out almost 17 years ago. I get it. You don’t like the film. Why not discuss what you liked about it? That would be a novel idea. Or do you just want to regurgitate flaws about the movie that were written by other negative fans? If you come up with something original, please share. But, no more bandwagon, free of original thought diatribe. Okay? Sound fair?

Reaction score
You may need to go back to your echo chamber Joe. :D

BTW, this is a discussion forum. You're going to come across opinions that will differ from yours. It's no biggie, they're just opinions on silly movies.
In my universe, AOTC is FAR superior to any Disney Star Wars movie that lacks soul. And, all of your negative opinions toward the film will not change my mind. Vice Admiral Cell Block Poopy Pants!

Reaction score
In my universe, AOTC is FAR superior to any Disney Star Wars movie that lacks soul. And, all of your negative opinions toward the film will not change my mind. Vice Admiral Cell Block Poopy Pants!
I'm not trying to change your mind.

Reaction score
I don’t want to read any more complaining.
seriously? you've been here for five minutes.
you sound like you're talking down to five year olds. (and you expect people to take you seriously).
you're either a kindergarten teacher, or a nazi-by-nature. (good luck with that).

negative "people"? negative "fans"? -- LOL!

is that how you address differing opinions from your own..? by attacking the PERSON? with generalizations based on stereotype?
((its always just a negative "Nancy" ? with "poopy pants" ? therefore, easily ignored?))
how convenient for you. and McCarthy. both.

okay, so clearly your easily offended, and now you’re comparing me to Nazi’s. Do all prequel haters have your sweet disposition? Or just people that likely to complain endlessly?

A guy starts a thread about a film he thinks is great in a series, and instead of adding anything positive to the conversation
All I read is compliant after complaint from you and the other negative Nancy in this thread. It’s all been said before, I’m glad you haven’t gotten over the failures of a movie that came out almost 17 years ago. I get it. You don’t like the film. Why not discuss what you liked about it? That would be a novel idea. Or do you just want to regurgitate flaws about the movie that were written by other negative fans? If you come up with something original, please share. But, no more bandwagon, free of original thought diatribe. Okay? Sound fair?

you obviously didn't click this link when I posted it earlier.
https://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1135886&page=7
me said:
in the end, I appreciate the PT's for what GL TRIED to do -- and this makes me a sort of "PT Apologist" on these boards...
^^you're looking for post#67 -- you'll find lots of "original thought" and praise for AOTC (from a self-declared "PT Apologist")
but DO take the good WITH the bad -- and don't shoot the messenger when you read something you don't like.

ie : there's no such thing as a positive "PERSON" -- nor a negative "PERSON" -- those are generalizations based on stereotype.
((your own angry rant reveals you are NOT a "positive person" by ANY means!!!))

there are only just positive/negative OPINIONS -- and "people" like you , who willfully choose to ignore them.

hrrmmmmph!!

good day, sir!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Honestly, it was only a matter of time. This kind of BS is everywhere now.

I guess the title should have been, "AOTC is the best, so if you dislike it don't enter or have an opposite opinion". lol

Reaction score
I agree with the original post. I loved all the prequels and enjoy AOTC. I grew up with the OT and was so excited hearing Lucas talk about giving us the back story of Vader and the empire. The PT isn't perfect but neither is the OT but for me both are far better than the majority of movies out there. And yeah, in my theater, when Yoda showed up to confront Dooku the crowd cheered and couldn't believe we were seeing Yoda with a lightsaber! It delivered a lot to the mythos and I agree that's it vastly underrated.

Reaction score
I agree with the original post. I loved all the prequels and enjoy AOTC. I grew up with the OT and was so excited hearing Lucas talk about giving us the back story of Vader and the empire. The PT isn't perfect but neither is the OT but for me both are far better than the majority of movies out there. And yeah, in my theater, when Yoda showed up to confront Dooku the crowd cheered and couldn't believe we were seeing Yoda with a lightsaber! It delivered a lot to the mythos and I agree that's it vastly underrated.
Thank you! Finally some positivity!

Reaction score
[safe zone]

he forgot to use safe zone tags.

[/safe zone]
okay, that’s funny. Listen. I let you and Cell block voice your concerns and complaints for 5 pages. If you want to continue to complain. Go ahead. Maybe it’s like therapy to get it out.

Reaction score
seriously? you've been here for five minutes.
you sound like you're talking down to five year olds. (and you expect people to take you seriously).
you're either a kindergarten teacher, or a nazi-by-nature. (good luck with that).

negative "people"? negative "fans"? -- LOL!

is that how you address differing opinions from your own..? by attacking the PERSON? with generalizations based on stereotype?
((its always just a negative "Nancy" ? with "poopy pants" ? therefore, easily ignored?))
how convenient for you. and McCarthy. both.

you obviously didn't click this link when I posted it earlier.
https://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1135886&page=7

^^you're looking for post#67 -- you'll find lots of "original thought" and praise for AOTC (from a self-declared "PT Apologist")
but DO take the good WITH the bad -- and don't shoot the messenger when you read something you don't like.

ie : there's no such thing as a positive "PERSON" -- nor a negative "PERSON" -- those are generalizations based on stereotype.
((your own angry rant reveals you are NOT a "positive person" by ANY means!!!))

there are only just positive/negative OPINIONS -- and "people" like you , who willfully choose to ignore them.

hrrmmmmph!!

good day, sir!
No way??? One line that was positive. Get out!!!

And Good day Sir to you too. Hrmmmmph! Hrmmmmmmph! Indeed.

Seriously though. If you don’t realize I’m being Tounge in cheek after you call me a Nazi, then your too easily offended.

Reaction score
I couldn't read through all the back and forth, but I'll chime in anyway.

AOTC has issues for one major reason... chemistry. Anakin and Padme had none. He was 9 and she was 14 when they met and linking them 10 years later needed to be done with more finesse than what happened. 9 year olds don't have stalker fantasies about girls. Make him 11/12 years old and yeah, ok.

Anakin just came off as creepy, stilted, arrogant, and unstable. This is fine for Vader, but why does she like him? George clearly should have sought help with the relationship. If you haven't seen Daredevil you won't understand, but Wison Fisk and Vanessa have a dynamic that makes some sense. He's every bit walled off, creepy, arrogant, and stoic but they have something in common.

I can't call AOTC great, but I like the stuff on Coruscant, I like Obi Wan's trip to Kamino, I like that Geonosis Battle and all the jedi! I even like the fact that Christopher Lee is Count Dooku, a former revered Jedi and master to Obi Wan's master that takes on a surprisingly nimble Yoda. It would have been a shame to have Yoda be the all powerful head of the jedi council and never have him get a chance to show skills. It may have been a bit overdone, but I rank that moment highly because it's Yoda.

Never having seen Yoda battle would have felt like never seeing Leia, Luke, Han, Chewie, 3PO, and R2 back together again in the ST. Oh, right... unforgivable.

Reaction score

AOTC has issues for one major reason... chemistry. Anakin and Padme had none. He was 9 and she was 14 when they met and linking them 10 years later needed to be done with more finesse than what happened. 9 year olds don't have stalker fantasies about girls. Make him 11/12 years old and yeah, ok.

Anakin just came off as creepy, stilted, arrogant, and unstable. This is fine for Vader, but why does she like him? George clearly should have sought help with the relationship. If you haven't seen Daredevil you won't understand, but Wison Fisk and Vanessa have a dynamic that makes some sense. He's every bit walled off, creepy, arrogant, and stoic but they have something in common.

I can't call AOTC great, but I like the stuff on Coruscant, I like Obi Wan's trip to Kamino, I like that Geonosis Battle and all the jedi! I even like the fact that Christopher Lee is Count Dooku, a former revered Jedi and master to Obi Wan's master that takes on a surprisingly nimble Yoda. It would have been a shame to have Yoda be the all powerful head of the jedi council and never have him get a chance to show skills. It may have been a bit overdone, but I rank that moment highly because it's Yoda.

Never having seen Yoda battle would have felt like never seeing Leia, Luke, Han, Chewie, 3PO, and R2 back together again in the ST. Oh, right... unforgivable.
You get it. I agree, Lucas’s decision to make Anakin a little boy in the first film took away from his development thematically. And, it would have made more sense in regards to his relationship with Pademe.

Reaction score

AOTC has issues for one major reason... chemistry.
There's a much bigger issue involved than that.

AOTC and the prequels in general are the product of a situation where one man had far too much control and there is nobody there to question that control or test the validity of his ideas. And those ideas, good, bad and bloody awful get put on the screen because they haven't been challenged or edited.

When everyone around you licks your arse, you eventually end up believing that your arse is worth licking.

The prequels are the cinematic equivalent of this, essentially...

I can't call AOTC great,
Neither can I, because it's not. Objectively speaking it's not even a good film. It had good parts - all Star Wars does - but, over all, it's terrible.

Yoda's fight was laughable, even down to his mini lightsaber. He should never have been in combat that way.

A much better way to show Yoda fighting was for him to use his environment as his weapons. His ability to manipulate the world around him makes for a very dangerous opponent and it also makes him look powerful.

OTOH, giving him a mini lightsaber and having him leap around like some computer game character looks stupid.

Reaction score

AOTC and the prequels in general are the product of a situation where one man had far too much control and there is nobody there to question that control or test the validity of his ideas. And those ideas, good, bad and bloody awful get put on the screen because they haven't been challenged or edited.

When everyone around you licks your arse, you eventually end up believing that your arse is worth licking.

The prequels are the cinematic equivalent of this, essentially...

Neither can I, because it's not. Objectively speaking it's not even a good film. It had good parts - all Star Wars does - but, over all, it's terrible.

Yoda's fight was laughable, even down to his mini lightsaber. He should never have been in combat that way.

A much better way to show Yoda fighting was for him to use his environment as his weapons. His ability to manipulate the world around him makes for a very dangerous opponent and it also makes him look powerful.

OTOH, giving him a mini lightsaber and having him leap around like some computer game character looks stupid.
Do you like ANYTHING?

Reaction score
Of all the SW live-action movies out, only 5 of them are canon to me (and you couldn’t feed me enough drugs to venture into EU). And still, I can find a handful of “positivity” in every single one of them (except for maybe Solo… it’s so forgettably blend it’s right up there alongside 80s mall muzak). And of my top 3, I can still find and admit their shortcomings. They’re all flawed and all contain some cheese matter.

I’ve never understood this creepy need for Michael Jackson loon-territory “positivity only!” by adult men wasting our time away chitchatting/bickering/feuding over fantasy/scifi blockbusters…. They’re just movies-- we're not talking about your family. And admitting and LOLing at their shortcomings doesn’t diminish oneself as fans/admirers of these films— nor cancel out being an intelligent, adult individual (at least for most...).

So apologies if this discussion has angered the OP. I’ll leave him to this AOTC circle jerk now.

Reaction score

You won't find many to deny this. I even said George needed some help and all he got was Yes men. It's unfortunate but when one kid owns all the toys it's his choice ultimately. You can either play along or go home.

I remember watching the Yoda Dooku fight in the theatre. I was a shade under 30 at the time, and after the movie the thing that was talked about the most was the Yoda fight. The prequels were defined in many ways by the lightsabers. Obi Wan and Qui Gon on Naboo and vs Maul. Hundreds of Jedi on Geonosis. Yoda vs Dooku. Yoda vs Palpatine. Culminating in Obi Wan vs Anakin.

Did you hate Yoda vs Palpatine too? I would argue these types of scenes were why many went to the theatre.

Reaction score
I fell asleep during Attack of the Clones. My GF nudged me a couple times, but I'd been doing long hours. Still, on initial viewing I was largely underwhelmed. The usual suspects; dialogue, delivery, the involuntary eye roll reflex. I "broke up" with Star Wars after that. The micro series I would notice my friend's kids watching it and just think "meh whatever".

Well Revenge of the Sith came out and I was reinvigorated about things again. I got Battlefront and the last release of the microsoft Xbox console that came with Halo to take away to work. I started looking into things a little more and taking things in. The movie Attack of the Clones had so much more to offer. The amount of lore and detail to the universe the prequels provide is so underrated, people just really take them for granted. With the multimedia onslaught that came after, I guess I bought fully into it. With The Clone Wars cartoon and The Force Unleashed game, it was so immersive. Star Wars was a great escape for me at that time in my life and I revisited Episode II with a different pair of eyes. For a long time now Attack of the Clones has been my most watched Star Wars film. It just has so much detail you can't possibly take it in in one or two viewings. I literally see something new every time I watch it even now 16 years on. I love it!

What scene do I like most? Apart from the asteroid chase which is mind blowing to watch even now, Yoda's Cavalry has it. THAT is the Clones attacking and it's absolutely glorious!,

Last edited:
Reaction score
You won't find many to deny this. I even said George needed some help and all he got was Yes men. It's unfortunate but when one kid owns all the toys it's his choice ultimately. You can either play along or go home.
Yeh, it's unfortunate. But there it is nonetheless. There's footage around of Lucas talking to a bunch of people and they all look in awe of him and scared to give their opinion. Mad stuff altogether. Just makes you understand how much of a collaborative process the making of the original Star Wars was.

I remember watching the Yoda Dooku fight in the theatre. I was a shade under 30 at the time, and after the movie the thing that was talked about the most was the Yoda fight. The prequels were defined in many ways by the lightsabers. Obi Wan and Qui Gon on Naboo and vs Maul. Hundreds of Jedi on Geonosis. Yoda vs Dooku. Yoda vs Palpatine. Culminating in Obi Wan vs Anakin.

Did you hate Yoda vs Palpatine too? I would argue these types of scenes were why many went to the theatre.
I only have time for the duel in 'The Phantom Menace' and even that was just dancing really. It never once felt like people were actually fighting, like the duels in 'The Empire Strikes Back' or 'Return of the Jedi'. There's way too much bopping around, trying to look cool, instead of just having a life or death scrap. It's ridiculous looking, but I understand that Lucas was trying to aim for that Errol Flynn type of sword fight choreography. It still doesn't save it from looking too artificial though.

Reaction score
My understanding was that the sword fights of the prequels (especially The Phantom Menace and ROTS duels) were meant to portray Jedi at the height of their power as opposed to the old man vs. cripple and cripple vs. under experienced kid of the OT fights. So the fluid and almost dance like style was indicative of the pre-cognitive nature of the Force abilities.

Anakin vs. Obi was 2 people that fought around one another for over 10 years - they knew each others style perfectly. Their fight WAS basically a dance routine where one was looking for the slightest misstep to take advantage of.

Reaction score
I don’t know, while I don’t think it’s the worst Star Wars, I will say it’s definitely one of them.

I have a lot of issues with the film. The love story is particularly what gets mentioned and rationally so. I’m fairly certain Lucas must have had the worst love life imaginable. Anakin comes off creepy and stalker-like. He literally confesses to murdering children...and somehow her response is “To be angry is to be human!” What!? I think there’s a difference between anger…and murdering children! Padme must be reaaaaal desperate if she just rolled with that.

I always hated Yoda with a lightsaber. I really feel like it brought him down to a pedestrian level. Yoda is above physicality, portraying him (at that age) as physical opposition undermines the wisdom of his force mantras. Seeing him ignite his saber just comes across shallow, then having him suddenly have this spurt of cartoonish bodily energy, jumping off walls and flipping and kicking around, just (for me) really deteriorates the established character. In my mind’s eye, I always imagined a force battle. Giving a character that powerful a lightsaber is like strapping a machine gun to a nuclear warhead. It’s tacky and misses the point…

I still also feel that Palpatine’s rise to power is highly convoluted and even somewhat absurd. The whole Sifo-Dias thing makes no sense and is completely left open-ended. Don’t give me answers to plot devices created for the films…in novels. I’m a firm believer in that if you establish it on film then you tie it up ON film.

The speeder chase is so utterly over-the-top it’s laughable. “If you’ll excuse me,” and Anakin just jumps down 50 stories and is fine?! Jedi aren’t Superman! Then something about the whole assassination plot is unintentionally hysterical to me to begin with. So Nute Gunray (I believe it was) hires Jango to assassinate Padme. Jango outsources to another bounty hunter, Zam Wesell. Zam outsources to a droid. The droid outsources to a toxic space centipede. Um…if it was so easy to just roll up to Padme’s window, why this terribly plot convenient plan?