AT-AT - Hoth Version

Reaction score
We've been hearing in the rumor mill for some time that the AT-AT is one of the candidates that is going to potentially get the "BMF" Treatment - this rumor has been persistent enough that it's time to start a thread on the topic.

Sources have reported to me that they've seen a foam-core mock-up some time back, as well as now having seen the CAD model for the large scale vehicle.

The "head" is said to accomodate two figures seated and three standing, and that there is a lighted Vader Hologram in the cockpit to issue orders to the assaulting troops.

The scale is much larger, and the feature set sounds to be as rich as the BMF. Let's hope this all pans out - the source has been dead-on in the past, so I'm inclined to believe that this could happen. Lets hope that the sales of the BMF were good enough to merit another "big" OT toy - we've now seen the AT-TE follow-on in the form of the similarly large Turbo Tank, so that's a good sign already!

With a new Snowspeeder Luke coming in the second ESB wave, the timing could be very good for the updated AT-AT for him to slice open!

Discuss the possibilities here!

More as it is reported!

'78

Reaction score
Re: AT-AT - New Tool / Larger Size (Rumor)

This is almost too good to be true!

For the interior I'd like to see some features similar to the AT-TE-gun racks, seats for the troops, etc. I'd say all that's a given though.

Reaction score

I won't make the same mistake that I did with the Falcon buying it on the day it came out. I'll wait for some good clearance deals.

It does sound cool though.

Reaction score

Just remember the fact that we all bought the BMF on opening day is part of the argument that makes something like this possible - so if we want to see more beyond the BMF, or hopefully the BAT-AT - we need to keep buying at full retail...

Reaction score

Grak said:
I won't make the same mistake that I did with the Falcon buying it on the day it came out. I'll wait for some good clearance deals.
It's that kind of attitude that will make sure that we don't get any more super-sized vehicles... =/

I'd love this, but it would be EXPENSIVE. Probably as expensive, if not MORE, than the Falcon...

Reaction score

I'll buy two on release day if it convinces Hasbro to keep making these.

Reaction score

If this is true, I just might get it. I've stopped purchasing vehicles on grounds of limited space and money. In fact, I've sold nearly all of my vehicles over the last year.

HOWEVER. The AT-AT has long been one my single most favorite parts of the entire SW universe. An AT-AT on the scale of the BMF in terms of size, detail, and features might be a must-buy for me. I'll probably have to start saving!

Reaction score

Well if this rumor of being able to fit 5 figure just in the head/cockpit and lighted holo Vader are true I'm already halfway to buying one! Now if they do awesome upgrades like they did with the Falcon and pay attention to detail, and add some other cool stuff like gun racks and storage for speeders and whatnot I'll be in 100%!

Reaction score

I have 5 of the current scale AT-At. I don't even want to think about replacing all of those. lol.

Wouldn't be my first choice for a big-scale OT vehicle, (*cough* sail barge *cough*) but I will definitely pick up a couple.

Reaction score

I too have limited my vehicle purchases lately, due to space and money, but I will be buying this guy the first time I see him. The AT-AT has always had a very special place in my heart, because I got one for christmas when I was 7. Hopefully this comes with a couple of drivers, instead of 1 driver, and Veers.

Reaction score

Jedipostmaster said:
I too have limited my vehicle purchases lately, due to space and money, but I will be buying this guy the first time I see him. The AT-AT has always had a very special place in my heart, because I got one for christmas when I was 7. Hopefully this comes with a couple of drivers, instead of 1 driver, and Veers.

I am in the same boat...I quit buying vehicles a long time ago because of money and space.

But I bought the BMF on launch day.

I would buy this in a heartbeat as well.

Reaction score

I would gladly get this in a heartbeat.

Reaction score

I would love to purchase one of these! Imagine if the holding bay could also hold the hoth speeder bikes!

Reaction score

I purchased my BMF on the first day, and do not regret enjoying it from day one at full price. However, I do not currently have an AT-AT, do not NEED an even BIGGER AT-AT, but may consider purchasing one if and when I see it at a reasonable price.

Criticizing other people on these boards, for when they choose to make a major toy purchase ("date-of-issue" vs clearance buyers) is a pointless circular argument like MOC vs OPENERS. We "vote" with our pocketbooks, but if, when, and where we "vote" is a personal decision that is no one else's business. Either way, HASBRO gets money, and can decide if it is profitable to make certain kinds of items or not, simple as that.

Reaction score

I don't have the room and it'll definitely cost me some [censored] but I may have to get this.

Reaction score

Count me in with those that are eagerly waiting for this to hopefully come true!!

Reaction score

If this is true, I'll buy it as soon as I see it.

Reaction score

I'll buy it but not at full price. I'll wait for it to go on clearence. Can't wait!

Reaction score

as cool as the bmf is i still have passed on it because its too big i have no room.
this on the other hand i would have to get. its big up instead of out not as space consuming for me.

but i personally really couldnt care less about electronics
lights and sounds and stuff. i would much rather knock money off the price.

Reaction score

Sure hope this is true. It seems like an obvious choice to me, assuming the BMF did well enough.

I'd be all over it like a rash anyways and be quick to buy one right away. I might even buy a second one down the road, once the price has dropped, if I could afford it.

Reaction score

Thanks for filling us in on this, '78!

Hopefully it won't have too many firing missiles/barrels etc. Movie accuracy is what I'm after when it comes to sculpt, so the fewer firing features the better as they almost always detract from the appearance of vehicles.

It certainly won't be perfectly scaled to the figures, but the news about the cockpit sounds like the scale may be pretty darn passable. Can't wait to see some pics.

John

Reaction score

The BMF presented something for both ends. The hard-core, money-is-no-object collectors snatched this up for MSRP on opening day, while the value-minded, middle-class folks such as myself were able to get this in the $75-99 range and some people who are my collecting soulmates (though I don't know these folks) are grabbing this for $50 and less. I anticipate the BMFAT-AT going the same way, because most BMFs in my land seemed to go for $125 and up.

Reaction score

Wouldn't think twice about getting this...on the first day too. I could see this selling better than the BMF so I wouldn't take any chances.

Keeping the fingers crossed!~

Reaction score

Let me clarify: I was very much into the Falcon when it came out. I actually got it early using the DPCI trick. All I was trying to say is that it is a bit disheartening that people were able to find them for 35 bucks just 6 months after the release. These are less iconic than the Falcon but I'm sure some people might buy more than one. It will be interesting to see how these sell. I remember previous releases shelf warming sometimes...

Reaction score

Sounds great, and I'd love to replace the AT-AT I currently have. It's a vintage one that I found in my Aunt's attic, minus all the guns and kinda run down looking. The only issue is a walker big enough to fit five people in the head would be unbelievably expensive, and I'd just rather spend the money on other things. Like car payments. And if it's too big I don't know where I would put it in my tiny apartment. Unless it was big enough to double as a coffee table or something, that'd be cool I guess.

Reaction score

Grak said:
Let me clarify: I was very much into the Falcon when it came out. I actually got it early using the DPCI trick. All I was trying to say is that it is a bit disheartening that people were able to find them for 35 bucks just 6 months after the release. These are less iconic than the Falcon but I'm sure some people might buy more than one. It will be interesting to see how these sell. I remember previous releases shelf warming sometimes...
The $35 Falcons were very few and far between. It's almost like being upset that you bought a Falcon and 6 months later a few Star Wars fans won the lottery and each bought a BMF with the winnings.
-theropod

Reaction score

RogueWompRat said:
Sounds great, and I'd love to replace the AT-AT I currently have. It's a vintage one that I found in my Aunt's attic, minus all the guns and kinda run down looking. The only issue is a walker big enough to fit five people in the head would be unbelievably expensive, and I'd just rather spend the money on other things. Like car payments. And if it's too big I don't know where I would put it in my tiny apartment. Unless it was big enough to double as a coffee table or something, that'd be cool I guess.
I have two Vintage AT-AT Walkers. I bought them on Ebay in '04 incomplete. There cool and all, but they are the vintage kind that don't have much detail as the 1997 version, and the TRU version.

Reaction score

if this is really happening i am getting one. i will have to wait to see how much it is going to be first. i do plan on waiting for it to at least go on sale but still getting one regardless. with all the figures, smaller vehicles, comic packs, evolutions sets, battle packs, and exclusive sets that i have payed full price for, i think i earned another big vehicle at a discounted price.

Reaction score

Oooh i cant wait for it to come out.
than go on sale
than i will buy one or two.

give me a snowspeeder also.

Reaction score

An iconic vehicle like the Millenium Falcon, Jabba's Sail Barge, or Slave 1 is a toy most kids and collectors will be content owning only one of. Now the Turbo Tank, AT-AT, or AT-ST make great army builders, and any collector could would purchase multiples of them. I hope the Turbo Tank outsells the BMF.

Reaction score

theropod said:
The $35 Falcons were very few and far between. It's almost like being upset that you bought a Falcon and 6 months later a few Star Wars fans won the lottery and each bought a BMF with the winnings.
-theropod
That's exactly what it feels like!
I'm not saying it isn't worth $140 but I'm not one to drop that kind of cash on the vehicles especially these days, if I spot one at $90 I will definitely buy one that to me is worth it and affordable. It just gets frustrating that everyone around you can find these at under $60 bucks and my local stores are still reg price is all!

Reaction score

I didn't buy the BMF for a variety of reasons BUT I would NO DOUBT buy the B.M.F AT-AT. I sometimes think all this stuff possibly coming forom Hasbro is too good to be true.

Reaction score

-theropod

[/QUOTE]
That's exactly what it feels like!
I'm not saying it isn't worth $140 but I'm not one to drop that kind of cash on the vehicles especially these days, if I spot one at $90 I will definitely buy one that to me is worth it and affordable. It just gets frustrating that everyone around you can find these at under $60 bucks and my local stores are still reg price is all!

[/QUOTE]

At least you can still find the BMF and AT-TE where you're at. I couldn't afford them when they came out and when i heard they were going on sale and I could actually afford them here aren't any to be found anywhere at all!

Reaction score

The AT-AT (vintage) was my favourite Star Wars toy as a child and i do own a mint complete boxed version..that i purchased in 2002 for nostalgic reasons, but a new version has been long overdue IMHO.

Its time to retire the vintage molds and continue cranking out better versions of the more iconic OT vehicles, and i can't think of a better candidate for the BMF style treatment.

Also the AT-ST, Slave 1 and Snowspeeder really need to be revisited, and i hope that they are on Hasbro's drawing board.

GNT

Reaction score

After all the larger vehicles we've bought/soon to see anything is possible in the modern toyline. I'd buy one if made but it's not on my list of vehicles I'd like to see an upgrade of though.

Reaction score

Well…seems we’re resulting vehicles these days with new and improved looks and scales. I’m down with that, but I’ve always been rather pleased with the old AT-AT. I’d much rather an updated AT-ST. You could manage to get that thing 100% screen accurate. It’s not so massive that it’s utterly impossible. Heck…I’d buy two. Give us a new AT-ST driver to go along with it. Due to finances these days, I’d be much more sparing with an AT-AT.