AT-AT Driver - BD49

Reaction score
I like this guy, better than the one before.

I have only ever seen one, while on a road trip, that I bought.

I think mine has two right legs from teh knee down, anyone else?

Reaction score
Picked up the TIE fighter from Target for $10! Then my local Wal-Mart had the new ESB wave in the clearance section for 5! I picked up the AT-AT Drive, R2-X2 and Zuckuss.

Reaction score
You know, I only saw this guy once, and I bought him. That wave came and went really fast in my neck of the woods.

Reaction score
I got two today and when i was comparing it to the Saga release guess what i noticed? The Saga release had no red stripe on the back of the helmet either!

I think it's an improvement especially when you have them side by side.

Reaction score
i agree that when you put these guys side by side the newbie comes out ahead.

but hey, i've been a sucker for removable helmets since i was a kid. i agree that when seen from the back the neck is visible, but it doesn't bother me too much.

Reaction score
How long has this wave been out? I STILL haven't seen this guy, Luke snowspeeder pilot, or the concept snowtrooper. Kind of frustrating.

Reaction score
I've only found a couple of figures from this way (Luke and Bespin guard - and had to travel to a Wal*Mart that was further away to do so). Most of them I still haven't seen on the pegs. Distribution is downright awful.

Hasbro complains about collectors not buying figures...it's pretty hard to do that when you can't find them anywhere.

Reaction score
JohnSilence said:
I got two today and when i was comparing it to the Saga release guess what i noticed? The Saga release had no red stripe on the back of the helmet either!

I think it's an improvement especially when you have them side by side.

I agree, although I really dug TSC AT-AT Driver. It was my first AT-AT driver (as we all know the infamous debacle with the original AT-AT driver's wave)

I have one, and have seen this figure a couple of times in the wild, but not recently. Feel bad for those who have yet to see this figure/wave.

Reaction score
ok so people have said that the AT-AT driver's in veers's walker did not have the red stripe on the back of the helmet, but after viewing ESB tonight on a whim i have to say i don't think this is the case. it seems like a continuity error, but the first time we see the drivers, they have no red stripes. every other shot though, including those in veers's walker, seem to feature red stripes.

Reaction score
monkeyboy said:
ok so people have said that the AT-AT driver's in veers's walker did not have the red stripe on the back of the helmet, but after viewing ESB tonight on a whim i have to say i don't think this is the case. it seems like a continuity error, but the first time we see the drivers, they have no red stripes. every other shot though, including those in veers's walker, seem to feature red stripes.
I agree.

Reaction score
I got this guy today, and he's alright. I think the SAGA one had a slightly better sculpt, though. It just looks crisper somehow. I actually like the removable helmet, though.

I really don't think this was a figure that needed this update. I'm just glad we're getting a new Veers, whose previous rendition was far weaker than the old AT-AT driver.

Still, I'm glad to have this one in my collection.

Reaction score
I used to think the '06 figure was perfect, but after getting this new one the mediocre helmet sculpt on the '06 figure is pretty apparent.

Reaction score
not sure if it has been discussed but it now appears as if the at-at driver with helmet off will be the more rare figure, looks like helmet on going forward.

Reaction score
Darth_Brett said:
I used to think the '06 figure was perfect, but after getting this new one the mediocre helmet sculpt on the '06 figure is pretty apparent.
Let's be clear here - the helmet dimensions on the '06 figure mightn't be entirely accurate, but they're certainly not mediocre.

As was just mentioned, it has a nice sharp sculpt, the new one has a removable helmet that suffers from warp-o-rama.. how ever slight the case may or may not be. It sits too high on his shoulders, & you can see the neck at the back. The body proportions on the new one are also lanky & segmented - blech.

TSC AT-AT Driver FTW!

Reaction score
sigh....im hunting for this figure still, i could use a handful for my at-st and the upcoming at-at...no love to be had

Reaction score
Okay, let me reiterate, the '06 figure's helmet sculpt wasn't mediocre, but it was grossly inaccurate and quite squashed looking (not to mention the face is angled downwards just like the POTF2 figure, when it should be upwards). I will say the '06 figure's paint scheme and deco were much more accurate and far superior to the new '09 figure, though. The main difference is that the new '09 figure's actual Stormtrooper face is much more accurate. I know you like the '06 figure better VDG and I am not saying it's a bad figure at all. I hated the new figure when it was first unveiled at CC last summer, but it has since grown on me and now I am one of it's biggest proponents!

Here's a real quick comparison and evolution of the AT-AT Driver figures. Actual photo; Vintage '81; POTF2 '97; TSC '06; and TLC '09.

Reaction score
The limbs are lanky and the helmet LOOKS too big. It doesn't matter if it's movie accurate in sizing if the paint is bad. Technically if Temura's head is underneath, that's inaccurate.

Reaction score
Darth_Brett said:
I know you like the '06 figure better VDG and I am not saying it's a bad figure at all. I hated the new figure when it was first unveiled at CC last summer, but it has since grown on me and now I am one of it's biggest proponents!
No worries buddy, it's all good - hey, we're debating!

There are inaccuracies with the TSC figure's helmet, sure. It is a little too wide as you say, but I just can't turn with the new one. It looks wonky to me from head to toe. The helmet has that 'just been crushed in a vice' look, & the eyes are too far apart. There's two more things..

Reaction score
Whenever I finally can get one (even if I gotta wait until the one packed with the new AT-AT--unless Hasbro just packs the 2006 one with it), I still plan to repaint the 'clone' head since it doesn't strongly resemble most other realistic clone sculpts anyway, just in skin tons. The hair & sideburns are distinct enough (yeah, I know CW's shown many clones with wildly different hair from the standard Tem/Bodie look) that with a new coat of paint on the face at least (and neck, of course), it'd look like a different guy. Kinda like Hasbro tried to do with Sgt Edain! "Oh, crap, we were supposed to make the black guard. Um, paint this white guy's head different. That'll do."

Reaction score
Thanks for the comparison pic Darth Brett!

I don't think the paint is too bad... i mean a few red dots not quite in the right place or a tiny little part missing black paint. not a big deal

I don't see any resemblance to a Clone head either. he's pretty tan though. Hasbro likes Hoth Imperials tanned for some reason.

Reaction score
They may have very well edited the shots so that it appears that red stripe drivers are with General Veers later on but here's this shot.

Reaction score
The thing that really ticks me off about the new AT-AT driver is the clone head lurking under the helmet.

Reaction score
Top_O_Nerae said:
The thing that really ticks me off about the new AT-AT driver is the clone head lurking under the helmet.
I agree! If you're going to make an OT figure, make it TRULY from the OT, not a retconned figure.

Reaction score
I consider myself pretty much an Original Trilogy purist (don't even care for the vast majority of special edition "fixes"), but the clone head doesn't really bother me all that much. None of my troopers will ever be displayed with their helmets off, and removable helmet troops look more natural than troops that just have a helmet head on a ball joint. Case in point: the Rebel scout trooper from the Endor battle pack looks better with his helmet on than the VTSC Scout. The helmet is a bit bigger and looks more natural.

Though I will say I really liked the Joe Johnston Spacetrooper.

Reaction score
Personally whatever is under the helmet it the last thing to worry about, they never removed them on screen so apply that fact to your figure. plus this can be solved by replacing it with a random head from some other line, or just glue the helmet on. You could always do what I'm planning on and that's swapping the legs over to the TSC version and calling it a very nice figure. Now if I can only find a few of these guys, I am curious now witch one they plan to pack in with the new AT-AT.

Reaction score
I like having the clone heads. In a way, ANY head underneath becomes a clone once you buy more than one.
But if it bothered me, I'd just leave the helmet on. I like removable helmets. Gives more display options, more play value for kids, and it usually makes the helmets a more accurate size. The AT-AT Driver prop helmets are huge. They, along with TIE Pilots, almost look like bobble heads.

Reaction score
I have a sneaking suspicion that once I open mine, the clone head will be tossed in a baggie, so the helmet will sit lower and more realisically.

Reaction score
VintijDroidGutzz said:
No worries buddy, it's all good - hey, we're debating!
Definitely. I love talking about stuff like this with fellow scummers like you in these forums!

Nate_M said:
I consider myself pretty much an Original Trilogy purist (don't even care for the vast majority of special edition "fixes"), but the clone head doesn't really bother me all that much. None of my troopers will ever be displayed with their helmets off, and removable helmet troops look more natural than troops that just have a helmet head on a ball joint. Case in point: the Rebel scout trooper from the Endor battle pack looks better with his helmet on than the VTSC Scout. The helmet is a bit bigger and looks more natural.
Took the words right out of my mouth, Nate. Usually the removable helmet figures have a helmet that looks more realistically sized and appears to be slightly cumbersome on the figures neck/head post just like they are in real life.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the comparison photos Darth_Brett! The new version is my favorite as well. The only problem I've found is that, due to the seemingly "hand-painted" removeable helmet, it is extremely difficult to find a well-painted one. And considering how hard these have been to find in the stores, it's a pretty big problem. As a figure though, it is well articulated and much closer to the movie aesthetic than any drivers we've seen thus far. Definately worth a buy for those that can find one.

Reaction score
Re: AT-AT Driver - ESB Wave

Droidworld said:
I would thank you for your image, but do not appreciate being called a crying whiner by someone who can waltz down to the corner Walmart and pick up any of the latest figures whenever he chooses.

And, even in your photo, the neck is still visible, unlike in the movie.

Corner Wal-Mart?? HA!

Wal-Mart's are the reason corner stores are few and far between.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Yeah, the new helmet is definitely more accurate. For my dio, the 2 I bought of the '06 versions are sufficient. I don't feel like replacing them from here, because they're basically locked in:

Reaction score
saw my fifth helmet on today, he is for sure the easier one to get. I don't think they make the helmet off anymore.

Reaction score
As a guy who doesn't like thinking that every Imperial soldier is a clone, I like that this guy is taller than the earlier AT-AT driver. They look good posed together. The height difference makes it plain they're different individuals rather than duplicates of each other, and, to me, the differences in the helmets are negligible.

Reaction score
Finally saw this in person in a store. Pass.

As much as I hate the Jango head (and that's a lot), I dig that they gave him OT-style sideburns.