Astromech Droid Focus Collectors

Reaction score
*sigh* I hate starting the day with bad news.:'( From JTA:

Q. Have the fates of R5-X2 (Build A Droid) and/or R8-B7 (Build A Droid) changed at all? Why would you release R5-G19 without getting the latter out to collectors who have been waiting for them since early 2013?
A: Hasbro sadly has NO PLANS to get out either droid. I really pleaded for the release of R5-X2 since we have never had a basic figure of that figure in any format.... EVER. Hasbro said that they wanted to get out an Original Trilogy astromech droid out for collectors, and R5-G19 was next on the list. I was also left with the impression that they're "done" with Build A Droid for the time being. But that could have been my own misinterpretation.

Reaction score
*sigh* I hate starting the day with bad news.:'( From JTA:

Q. Have the fates of R5-X2 (Build A Droid) and/or R8-B7 (Build A Droid) changed at all? Why would you release R5-G19 without getting the latter out to collectors who have been waiting for them since early 2013?
A: Hasbro sadly has NO PLANS to get out either droid. I really pleaded for the release of R5-X2 since we have never had a basic figure of that figure in any format.... EVER. Hasbro said that they wanted to get out an Original Trilogy astromech droid out for collectors, and R5-G19 was next on the list. I was also left with the impression that they're "done" with Build A Droid for the time being. But that could have been my own misinterpretation.
I don't think those are bad news... bad news is when having dozens of astromech droids on screen, you choose an obscure droid that's not even in the final cut of the movie!!!

Reaction score
Really upset to hear that news. R5-X2 is a really cool looking droid. Wish we had more droids. I am starting to catch up with my droid collection so now I need more new ones to fuel my addiction. I have been tempted on some of the older ones, from the EE packs and what not, but the cost is a bit prohibitive plus I really dislike that old middle foot that never really looks right.

Reaction score
Really upset? No, I'm freaking pissed off!!!!! R5-X2 is the final Droid from TPM that's need to complete my Collection, and I was hoping to finish it off before Armageddon... :rolleyes:
Why is it like pulling teeth with these people!? What's so freaking important or special about getting an OT Droid out to people, when it isn't even one that we were after?

Sure nice little surprises like this Droid are cool, but not when it's meant to take our minds off what we're really after.

Reaction score
More sad/bad news:

SirSteve's Guide also asked Hasbro about astromechs during NYCC 2014:

Q. Back in The Black Series’ first wave was R2-D2. Will we be seeing that sculpt repainted as other astromech droids?

A. Possibly. Yeah, absolutely. There’s always the possibility... but no plans right now.

Reaction score
Howdy, all! I've been collecting Astromechs for a while now and have a decent-sized collection. I was wondering if I could tap into the collective wisdom of this (really cool) thread for some advice. I like to get one of each guy and avoid too many doubles. (There are exceptions, but that's the short version.) My R2-D2 is from the Disney Droid Factory. I was thinking that there's probably a superior version out there, better sculpt, better paint, better play features. For your money, if I was to swap him out and upgrade him, what's the best 3.75 inch modern R2-D2 I can get? Preferably one that doesn't go for megabucks. My first instinct was from the Black Series, but I'm not keen on his legs.

-JimS

Reaction score
Howdy, all! I've been collecting Astromechs for a while now and have a decent-sized collection. I was wondering if I could tap into the collective wisdom of this (really cool) thread for some advice. I like to get one of each guy and avoid too many doubles. (There are exceptions, but that's the short version.) My R2-D2 is from the Disney Droid Factory. I was thinking that there's probably a superior version out there, better sculpt, better paint, better play features. For your money, if I was to swap him out and upgrade him, what's the best 3.75 inch modern R2-D2 I can get? Preferably one that doesn't go for megabucks. My first instinct was from the Black Series, but I'm not keen on his legs.

-JimS
Hi Jim! Did you make any research about the two R2D2s I recommended you through my Facebook page? I'm counting on a pic of your collection when you get your R5-G19 ;)

Cheers!

- Rick

Reaction score
Hi Jim! Did you make any research about the two R2D2s I recommended you through my Facebook page? I'm counting on a pic of your collection when you get your R5-G19 ;)
Yup! The 2009 version looks pretty sweet, though I'm open to other suggestions.

Don't worry, I'll take some nice photos once the collection doesn't have anyone inbound.

Another question... thoughts on Chopper? The Clone Wars guys are already different enough that they slightly annoy me, I'm worried that the Rebels toys will be an even bigger departure.

-JimS

Reaction score
Yup! The 2009 version looks pretty sweet, though I'm open to other suggestions.

Don't worry, I'll take some nice photos once the collection doesn't have anyone inbound.

Another question... thoughts on Chopper? The Clone Wars guys are already different enough that they slightly annoy me, I'm worried that the Rebels toys will be an even bigger departure.

-JimS
Well, you have Chopper and R2-D2 in the SW Rebels line... but don't worry: Chopper is just one of a kind (I hope so) ;)

Reaction score
The best Artoo, in my opinion, is the G9 version from the 'resurgence' battle pack. Second best is the version from the Target exclusive Geonosis 2-pack. The eye is clear, but that can be easily fixed. Third favorite is probably the b.a.d. version, either from the Queen's starship battle pack, or the Disney one. However, we still have yet to get a 100% perfect R2-D2.

Reaction score
Sorry, I have lots of questions for the experts. I've got an R2-A3... is it worth picking up a CB-3D as well? The auction listings seem to go for the $8-$15 range, though right now there are no auctions up and the Buy It Nows are crazy. I generally try to have every dome unique, and keep every body (torso + legs) unique. I realize that CB-3D technically qualifies on both counts, but it's an awfully subtle difference and R2-A3 seems like the nicer figure. Opinions?

Reaction score
I often feel like I am the only one who kind of likes the "glowing" eye effect on my astros... Its a personal preferences I suppose. I do want to add a vote to the B.A.D. R2-D2 from the Queen's Starship battle pack but another one of my favorites is the SAGA-010 R2-D2 (Link).

I thought the Clone Wars figures look ok with the others as well. The animated style was captured but I feel they integrated into my astro collection just fine and worked much better for droids than anything else. As for Chopper, I am holding out on seeing it in person before passing judgment.

Reaction score
I often feel like I am the only one who kind of likes the "glowing" eye effect on my astros... Its a personal preferences I suppose. I do want to add a vote to the B.A.D. R2-D2 from the Queen's Starship battle pack but another one of my favorites is the SAGA-010 R2-D2 (Link).
I think the problem most people had with the light pipe Astros is that the wrong thing is lit up! The only one that was made right was the red R2 that came with the Episode 1 Royal Starship.
I also prefer the Build A Droid sculpt, as the regulars here can attest (send me your extra parts!!!). I love the interchangeability of the parts, but then, most people disliked the sculpt because of the extra holes in the torso. More playability/customizability, but not accurate enough to satisfy the masses...

Ooohh, lookit me with the big words....

Reaction score
^^^^^^
Exactly this!!

If they had made the correct part light up on all of 'em, I would have been totally fine with it. I was always surprised that they didn't start correcting this after that first queen's starship droid. That now outdated sculpt is the only astromech figure ever released that lit up in the right spot.

Reaction score
Sadly, my favorite R2 hasn't been made yet. But hopefully, one day before the line ends. They'll finally decide to make that version!

Reaction score
Sadly, my favorite R2 hasn't been made yet. But hopefully, one day before the line ends. They'll finally decide to make that version!
Just out of curiosity, what are you looking for in the perfect...r2? Screen accuracy? Perfect paint apps? Accessories? Action features?

This question is open to anyone, I'm genuinely curious to see what people want!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what are you looking for in the perfect...r2? Screen accuracy? Perfect paint apps? Accessories? Action features?
For me, for Artoo, I suppose I want it all. Nice sculpt, screen accurate paint apps, and at least a few action features. Preferably something popping out of the dome, and one or two opening chest panels.

-JimS

Reaction score
Aw, you got my hopes up, only to shoot them down, EH!:p Thought maybe Tung or Viperskingdom was selling some from Asia, but looks like it's just some random Floridian who picked up the set while on vacation and decided to sell it for whatever reason.

Reaction score
Aw, you got my hopes up, only to shoot them down, EH!:p Thought maybe Tung or Viperskingdom was selling some from Asia, but looks like it's just some random Floridian who picked up the set while on vacation and decided to sell it for whatever reason.
Patience, Palps, patience! Now that the first one has appeared, many more will follow... it's just a matter of time :)

Reaction score
Yes I would get it.

Sorry, I have lots of questions for the experts. I've got an R2-A3... is it worth picking up a CB-3D as well? The auction listings seem to go for the $8-$15 range, though right now there are no auctions up and the Buy It Nows are crazy. I generally try to have every dome unique, and keep every body (torso + legs) unique. I realize that CB-3D technically qualifies on both counts, but it's an awfully subtle difference and R2-A3 seems like the nicer figure. Opinions?

Reaction score
I took medic's comment to mean for the B.A.D. R2-MK to have a single release as opposed to needing to buy Mickey and that star-fighter. I'd be hopeful for even just Mickey and his droid. Having that version only in the star fighter set is a bit annoying.

Reaction score
phew... is that the real quality?
Product photos look much better than the one on ebay.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/3166662213834259/

Sorry, I'm getting more and more reluctant when it comes to asian sellers...
They are two different items, Tom. Look at the size of the chain and you'll see that the Chinese one is quite smaller and it's made of rubber (the other looks like a sturdier plastic). You have to watch everything with a hundred eyes these days on eBay... :ninja:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey Guys...I put this in the classifieds area but no leads...Looking for some R5-D4 BAD's if anyone has any extras. Please lemme know. I really appreciate it guys!