Astromech Droid Focus Collectors

pod

Reaction score
It's the line up of the 5 droids parked outside the Droid Depot in GE. The nice thing about the R4 is that is blue, if you can't really tell in the photo.

Reaction score
More pics over at Endor Express! Love the weathering on these two

toys_202011_0137.jpg

toys_202011_0139.jpg

Reaction score
Wow! Just saw R2-S8 is going to be up for auction! Bummer that the owner decided to part with it. One of the cooler fan-made designs, and it even appeared in Solo!
34582280-8856527-image-a-65_1603132897650.jpg

Also a couple very interesting auctions for unused (or maybe just unseen?) astromech props from The Rise of Skywalker!

First is just an R2 dome that I assume was made for an X-wing or Y-wing droid socket:

412584_2.jpg

And surprisingly, what looks to be a mostly faithful recreation of R5-A2! Based on the color-changing LEDs on the upper torso, I assume this was made by the same guy who built R2-BHD. Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.
412598_0.jpg

A couple more interesting items:

Doug Chiang concepts of proto-astromechs from the prequel era:

411637_0.jpg

Hand drawn R4-G9 concept designs (I remember voting on this art work on starwars.com back in the day!)
411887_0.jpg

Reaction score
Man, it's getting to be torture seeing all the loose pics! I've been trying to be patient and show some restraint, but may have to cave and accept the 100% markup on ebay soon...

Reaction score
Noticed that too. Artoo was CG in at least one of those shots. I need to go back and look if the CG model also had those little posts. Purely speculation, but perhaps they had already filmed shots of Artoo (or another astromech using that same body w/ an alternate dome) for a scene in a future season, where it had the drink tray from Jabba's palace attached. Guessing that maybe those were meant to hold the drink tray in place, and somebody forgot to remove them for that specific scene.

update: Went back and watched that scene again (so damn good!) and there are actually two shots where Artoo is fully CG, and in both those shots he doesn't have the little posts on his shoulders. So not only is there a continuity error happening between shots, but guessing those posts served a practical purpose for the crew in a different episode, and were never meant to be left attached. Oops!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does the interrogator Droid count as an Astromech, seeing as its made from modified R2 Domes?

It's not though. lol Is that written in one of those visual dictionary books or something? The prop itself isn't made from R2-unit domes.

Edit: Oops, I assume you're talking about that custom figure Strobeeone made. Never mind! Heh.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The droid has panel lines & details that suspiciously match the layout of an R2 dome, so presumably one was used & disguised with extra gubbins

Bt1yn.jpg

Reaction score
I stand corrected! I just assumed it wasn't because that seemed like a factoid I would have learned at some point in the past 40 years. 😅 Amazing that there's still tidbits of info to glean about those films after all this time. Off to Google I go to research this more!

Reaction score
If anybody's still looking for the B.A.D. version of R2-MK, this overseas seller has one left. I just splurged on one, even though I already own one of them. I prefer the non-chrome dome of this version over the original chrome version (which used the G9 mold), and always wanted an extra for customs. Cost me a little over $30 total, but considering how rare this figure has become, felt it was worth it.

Reaction score
JJ did stick legs on plastic compost bins & passed them of as "New" Astromech variants.

Reaction score
Hello, astro-friends! Hope you're all doing well. Here's some new (to me, anyways) behind the scenes footage from A New Hope, showing the guy inside the R1 droid, and also some testing of the astromechs that roll in front of Luke's speeder. Love this kinda stuff!

As an aside, am I the last person in the fandom to realize that R2-A5 and R5-A2 have the same four letters/numbers in their name, just arranged differently? Guessing that was intentional, and I just never picked up on it until now, lol.

Reaction score
The real question is why they decapitated R2-A5? Is this a horror film? Was it R5-A2 that did it, determined to be the only droid with those numbers and letters in its name? Notice how he just follows along behind his gruesome mutilation like nothing is wrong and everything is as it should be. I'll never look at that R5 unit the same way again.

Reaction score
I acquired two new astromechs for my collection. I don't normally post that here but its a fun story so I decided to share.

A perfect storm of events occurred that saw my wife and I without our three kids for a weekend. Her sister took our boys and her parents took our daughter and we decided we deserved a weekend get-away. One of her co-workers said the Columbus zoo was awesome and we decided to spend the weekend in Columbus.

As I was looking into the trip I checked out the toy store scene online and found a cool looking vintage toy store, Big Fun Columbus. We went and waited in line about 20 minutes to get in (store capacity was 8 - 10 people). Once inside it was awesome and I found two droids I had been looking for. R4-A22 and R3-T2.

While waiting to have someone get the droids from the case I overheard someone in line in front of me. Earlier that week Twenty One Pilots had filmed their new music video there. That was part of the reason they were so packed as well. It was a cool experience and I do enjoy that band. My wife and I watched the video in the car after leaving and it was just a cool experience.

Here is the the video:

Josh has his drums set up right in front of the Star Wars display case and those droids I got were in there during filming, you cannot see them as most of the toys were covered during filming. They were also selling those blue dragons from the video, at $5 apiece.

Reaction score
I acquired two new astromechs for my collection. I don't normally post that here but its a fun story so I decided to share.

A perfect storm of events occurred that saw my wife and I without our three kids for a weekend. Her sister took our boys and her parents took our daughter and we decided we deserved a weekend get-away. One of her co-workers said the Columbus zoo was awesome and we decided to spend the weekend in Columbus.

As I was looking into the trip I checked out the toy store scene online and found a cool looking vintage toy store, Big Fun Columbus. We went and waited in line about 20 minutes to get in (store capacity was 8 - 10 people). Once inside it was awesome and I found two droids I had been looking for. R4-A22 and R3-T2.

While waiting to have someone get the droids from the case I overheard someone in line in front of me. Earlier that week Twenty One Pilots had filmed their new music video there. That was part of the reason they were so packed as well. It was a cool experience and I do enjoy that band. My wife and I watched the video in the car after leaving and it was just a cool experience.

Here is the the video:

Josh has his drums set up right in front of the Star Wars display case and those droids I got were in there during filming, you cannot see them as most of the toys were covered during filming. They were also selling those blue dragons from the video, at $5 apiece.
I like how the cashier is reading a book instead of going through their phone

Reaction score
Can confirm that the newest R2-RN8W droid is at Disney World. I bought a couple. Very unique card and well painted. The only store I saw it in is Keystone Clothiers in Hollywood Studios. I did not check every store at every park, but did not see it in the usual places in Epcot or Magic Kingdom, Also was not at Tatooine Traders over by Star Tours which was surprising.

Reaction score
Shifted my astromech collection, and no longer collect the novelty droids unless they have an 'in-universe' aesthetic. This one, along with the candy corn and translucent neon green droids, don't work for me. Really hoping we get an astromech pack from the Mandalorian soon. Would love to see not only both 'taxi' mechs, but the black and white R5, the gondola droid, and even that bizarre harvester droid w/ the prequel style R5 dome.

Reaction score
Really hoping we get an astromech pack from the Mandalorian soon. Would love to see not only both 'taxi' mechs, but the black and white R5, the gondola droid, and even that bizarre harvester droid w/ the prequel style R5 dome.

Yes, please! Those are the exact droids on my list, too.

If there's too much new tooling in that, then how about a Clone Wars Season 7 set, with Ahsoka's little droid squad, or some of the background droids from Bad Batch? The trailers have teased two or three new astros getting some screen time. It would just be great to get some new on screen droids.