Astromech Droid Focus Collectors

Reaction score
Still here! :D

Just got the TROS Visual Dictionary and was delighted to find quite a few astromech and astro-adjacent droid pictures in there. I barely spotted any in the film, but there were props made. I hope we get to see them reused in other SW media in future, and additional views in future source books. :)

Reaction score
Let's talk about some TROS droids (spoiler warnings apply, naturally)...

The Visual Dictionary is out now and with it came some pictures of droids I have yet to spot in the film and one or two I did spot and was happy to get a better look at.

Here's TQ3-R1, an I2-CG variant that is parked behind Finn during one of his conversations in Babu Frik's workshop on Kijimi. I think these droids are ugly as sin, but I like that they exist as ghetto versions of the more well known astromechs, like they have been produced as a kind of poor man's R2 unit by some other company.

I didn't know Snap Wexley's droid had a name, and couldn't recall seeing its trunk before, so it's nice to get a better look at R6-D8.

This strange-looking droid called OC-JK14 is described as an older treadwell-style astromech. I have yet to spot it rolling around in the Resistance base jungle and cave scenes. Anyone else spot it? It looks like it spots a head based on a modified R5 model, with a flat tracked base. It reminds me of the lit-up perimeter droid rolling around the Lars homestead in ANH.

L4E-R5 is a cool-looking orange R5 droid seen in a cross section illustration of a nuY-Wing. Is it in the movie itself somewhere?

If the tracked LT units of Solo and Rogue One were a lower grade alternative to traditional astromechs, then the 0-LT in the TROS Vis. Dic. seems to be an even lower grade version of an LT unit. Check out this super rough background bot. Anyone spot him in the movie? the book doesn't suggest where to look, but I am wondering whether he might be on Passana rather than the Resistance base?

Reaction score
I'm still here Palpitate! I just know nobody wants to hear the same old man rambling complaints about no good products out lately. I did realize not too long ago that I had enough droids to fill a sandcrawler and...

Reaction score
You're not alone, Jake! I must admit that I've been very busy lately, coping with my new life as a bachelor (again). But I'm here, we are all here if you need us! ☺

pod

Reaction score
Okay, I feel dumb now. After my previous post, I just google'd "Galaxy's Edge Coke droids" and got plenty of pics, lol. Aplogies if these were already mentioned in the thread. Possible I may have missed a post or two in the past few months. Nice weathering on these two! Hope they show up in a 4-pack.;)

There's at least 2 of coke droid/cart with the red R5 dome. Exact same paint scheme on both. The domes rotate, eyes light up, and they make cool sounds as well! I hope they make toys of these.

Reaction score
Hey! Glad to see y'all are still around!😁

Sadly, still not much news on the astromech front. I do, however, have some confirmed appearances of R2-SHP in TROS for you. After seeing it for the sixth time last night (and still liking it, despite its rather significant issues! lol), I was able to make a mental note of when that droid is visible. It first can be seen in the brief shot when Connix is helping Leia walk to her bed. It's there in the background, albeit out of focus. The second time it can be found is immediately after the Final Order destroys Kajimi (sp?), when it cuts back to Poe at the Resistance base, startled at the news of the planet's destruction. R2-SHP appears in a few of those shots, as they discuss the realization that the FO fleet has planet-killing weapons.

Unfortunately, I still couldn't spot the other two droids from the 4-pack. My guess is their scenes either got cut, or they're buried in the background of that 'preparing for battle' montage that happens in the final act.

Reaction score

I am surprised none of you picked up on this one... Love this frankendroid with legs and 4 arms :) From The Mandalorian.

Reaction score
I'm super late to this party, but I was at Disney Springs last year and did the BAD and had a TON of fun. I've been hooked ever since. A few questions:

1) Do you keep any carded, loose, or both?

2) How do you display your astromechs?

3) How do you organize them? By movie? By designation?

Thanks!

Reaction score
A welcome discussion to distract from the craziness of the situation... Yes please!

1) I keep all my astros loose with currently 5 exceptions: R2-KT, R5-M4, R2-D60, R4-D23, and R5-D2. No particular reason just how things have played out in my display. Once my displays are updated I plan to open up R5-D2 to display with other Disney droids.

2) My display is in a state of flux. Mainly because my collection has gotten too big to fit in my original display pieces. I have two wall-mounted shot glass cases that used to hold the majority of my collection. I had some other displays holding astros as well. I have an original trilogy hero collection underneath my big Lego X-wing that includes R2-D2. I also have a display of astros from R1 through R0, one of each to show the "evolution" of the droids. I am now moving into shelve space that previously held field guides and displaying them on hexagonal risers (these). Its a nice piece of furniture. It is a museum quality metal case with sliding glass door used for specimen presentation. I got a couple when an older building on campus was being torn down. They were not saving anything so I took some. I have a skull collection and collection of plaster animal tracks in others (I am a biologist).

3) I am constantly re-tweaking my display. As I mentioned I have some displayed by type. In one of my shot glass cases I have various droids arranged by color creating a rainbow (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet) across the case. The other I have groupings based upon service (Jedi, Rebels, Imperial, etc.). Once I get more of those risers I plan to set up displays based by movie and I want to create a grouping of "canon" Disney droids (R5-D2, R4-M4, R2-MK, etc.)

I look forward to hearing from others!

Reaction score
I'm an opener, but I do still have much of my recent additions still in the box or on the card. Mostly because I don't have any room to display as I don't have a dedicated Star Wars room....yet. My collection is displayed, well, in a series of plastic totes and boxes until we can improve our living space, which probably won't be for some time. But like the classic pack rat, If someone asks about a certain piece, I know exactly which box it's in! It never hurts to remind the people here to post pics of their collections and limelight their displays.....

Reaction score
I also use the Hobby Lobby shot glass displays. Mine are organized by droid type...Not necessarily their designation, but their outward appearance of what type. This is a terrible picture, but here’s what one of them looked like right before I had to put them into storage, before moving two years ago. I have four of them total.

Attachments

Reaction score
*crickets*
Heh. Yeah, sorry to say, but this once lively section of the forums has pretty much fizzled out. I now only pop in to take a look around once every couple months. It's mostly the fault of Hasbro no longer making astromech droids, and the Disney parks not refreshing the Droid Factory parts for what feels like several years now. Some collectors have lost interest and sold off their droid collections, and others such as myself, just ran out of things to discuss. Most of us still like astromech droids, but with little to no new product being released these days, this corner of the hobby has pretty much flatlined.

You're best bet is to just start reading this thread from page 1 to see what transpired over the years, and maybe learn about figures you weren't aware existed, or find and join Astroworks' Facebook group, which I believe is called 'The Astromech Collection'. I think the discussion is much more current over there. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Hope everybody is doing well out there. Stay safe, everyone!

Reaction score
That’s essentially what I did when I began collecting them. Additionally, I also bought some extra droids to customize. That can keep you busy within the 3.75 hobby, generally.

Reaction score
I still check this thread daily. As a 3.75" collector I have been starved of new astromechs to buy officially, and ordinarly I simply customise to help fill the holes, but have been so busy I haven't had much time recently. Hope to do more, soon and will post them, particularly if I end up trapped at home.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just don't have a skilled enough hand to paint fine detailed lines, so my customs are mostly limited to BAD's. Without new parts, or the availability to acquire them reasonably, I'm thus limited to what Hasbro releases. Which is near non existent. So many I would definitely get still.

Without new product there's almost nothing to discuss...

Reaction score
So a couple months back I picked up a Dr. Aphra SDCC set from eBay. I wanted the droids mainly. Anyone else have this? Curious your thoughts and if you have had troubles standing Beetee?

Mine seems as if the legs are too short or the torso was elongated throwing the middle foot off. I just cannot get him to balance nicely and look good.

Reaction score
There is a way to turn the head so the leg is fully extended and go past it a few clicks, if you turn it back the other way it will even out as the leg retracts. It may take a few tries to get the head pointing in the direction you want but it is do-able...

Reaction score
There is a way to turn the head so the leg is fully extended and go past it a few clicks, if you turn it back the other way it will even out as the leg retracts. It may take a few tries to get the head pointing in the direction you want but it is do-able...
I think you're referring to the 6" figure. ;-) The SDCC set with Beetee was 3.75", and used the B.A.D. mold. I'm not familiar with any issues with standing the figure though.
Could you provide some pics of the problem for us?

Reaction score
After looking through the box here is the line up of 3.75 astromech droids as well as a good few protocol droids

Attachments