Astromech Droid Focus Collectors

Reaction score
Astrodroids in the 1st episode of The Mandalorian: https://bit.ly/2ph38yi 😉
Only one episode in, and already more astromechs than all of The Last Jedi (I don't really count BB units as proper astromechs, lol). Would love to get a better look at that black and white R5 unit. I wish that red TPM R5 would get blown up or something. And not in the show, in real life, heh. :ROFLMAO: Tired of seeing it pop up in all modern Star Wars media.

Reaction score
Good stuff. Can't wait to see what other new droids the rest of the season brings us. :) I hope the folks who design the Disney Parks 3.75" packs are paying close attention. As chance would have it, from that set of four above we already have at least two available now in their BAD parts bins. :D I'd love it of they gave us the little tractor droids, too.

Reaction score
Only one episode in, and already more astromechs than all of The Last Jedi (I don't really count BB units as proper astromechs, lol). Would love to get a better look at that black and white R5 unit. I wish that red TPM R5 would get blown up or something. And not in the show, in real life, heh. :ROFLMAO: Tired of seeing it pop up in all modern Star Wars media.
I must say that it's not TPM's R5-X2 but TFA's and RO's R5-X3... just another (silly) wink to the audience

Reaction score
I must say that it's not TPM's R5-X2 but TFA's and RO's R5-X3... just another (silly) wink to the audience
Yeah, I know it's not the exact droid from TPM (with its oddly pointy head), just referring to the color pattern. I may be mistaken, but I think the RO/TFA (and now Mandalorian) R5 is a fan-built droid which was meant to resemble R5-X2 from TPM. Regardless, much in the same way I never want to see another astromech toy from Japan done up in the Imperial R2-Q5 colors, I never wanna see R5-X2/X3 ever again!! Tell your friend Lee to ban that droid from all future Star Wars film sets.:LOL:

Reaction score
Honestly it would have been cooler if they were all new deco. Those are essentially, IMO, pretty much same as past Droids. And we don't need more reason for them to reissued the same deco, we need a reason for them to release all new ones.

The one in the bottom right doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Reaction score
Fandom and Collectibles Survey (with reward)!

Hi there!

We’re making a study about hobbies and fandom habits, and we would like to talk to you if you are living in the U.S.
We are looking to schedule a call to deep dive into your preferences, are you interested in participating?

If so, please take the following survey to access the selection process. Fandom and Collectibles - Selection Survey (https://forms.gle/w35BedsfsL4rzZSf6)

If you end up being selected, we’ll invite you for a 1h call which will be rewarded with an amazon gift card!

Hope to talk to you soon!

Nacar Team.

Spam and/or phishing attempt? Nice try. Reported.

Reaction score
And at $75 a piece it ain't cheap. I have to say that the vehicle is really cool, with its lighting and ability to stow the carriage, but I know I cannot justify buying it four times just for the droids.

Reaction score
Too bad those are not available on their own. I really like the black/blue and black/orange ones. Someone pointed out how they look like Black Series packaging which is apt and funny.

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so bad if they were different droid models & base colours. Also having the heads facing away is annoying, as you can't see if the eye dots are painted correctly.

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so bad if they were different droid models & base colours. Also having the heads facing away is annoying, as you can't see if the eye dots are painted correctly.
NERD ALERT!!! hahahahahaha

no seriously, that thing's been going off ever since I got here around 2006......

Reaction score
I remember when the Royal Starship was in Toys r Us and people kept nicking the red Astromech by slashing the window and pulling the Droid free of the cardboard. My local store started removing the figure trays from the boxes adding a note to collect at the till.

Reaction score
I have two questions for the esteemed astromech collecting community.

1. I hope to make a custom droid (as soon as I can procure it). I am working from the BAD mold and wonder how to take the feet on the legs apart for painting purposes. That I believe will be the big sticking point for my first attempt at a droid custom.

2. A few months back (maybe a year; time moves so quickly...) I recommended a little website that made 3D printed droids to another user. I cannot track this website down now. They produced various background material is both 3 3/4" and 6" scales. Cantina stools, canisters, etc. They also had stove droids, mouse droids, and that astro with "tank" treads. I was hoping to find it and order some of this background droids for my collection as well. Any one know what site this was by chance?

Reaction score
I have two questions for the esteemed astromech collecting community.

1. I hope to make a custom droid (as soon as I can procure it). I am working from the BAD mold and wonder how to take the feet on the legs apart for painting purposes. That I believe will be the big sticking point for my first attempt at a droid custom.

2. A few months back (maybe a year; time moves so quickly...) I recommended a little website that made 3D printed droids to another user. I cannot track this website down now. They produced various background material is both 3 3/4" and 6" scales. Cantina stools, canisters, etc. They also had stove droids, mouse droids, and that astro with "tank" treads. I was hoping to find it and order some of this background droids for my collection as well. Any one know what site this was by chance?
That would be Eric at Hole in the Ground Productions. I do his decals. :)

Reaction score
It was the Hole in the Ground site, thank you! I had never seen the Asis Film models but that site is pretty cool looking as well! Thank you both for the input!

Reaction score
So many authentic custom Droids & creatures that Hasbro should be doing.

There's only so many near identical Kylos, Reys, Finns & Poes the market can take, especially when there's barely any change in costume from film to film.

Reaction score
Yeah, as a collector I was always motivated by the aliens, droids, creatures: fun and interesting background fodder, the kind of stuff we rarely see nowadays, but that is partly due to the relentless release pace of the films. With that slowing down I am hoping Hasbro will circle back and get to some of that stuff that they missed on a first pass through a given film, plus we have the Mando show, which is all about that sort of texture. The best years for collecting during the PT years for guys with tastes like me were the inbetweeners, at least the way I remember them.

For the moment, however, it seems like I have to rely on Disney, third party entities and my own limited time for custom projects to get the background droids I crave.

Reaction score
Man, so sad this past year that our little thread has all but stalled out. Hasbro is fully to blame, of course. Disney parks are the only thing keeping our hobby alive, but when you can only rely on four to five new astromechs per year (and some are ridiculously themed), it's no surprise that this part of the forum is barely breathing. Hoping things liven up now that we have multiple Diz+ series coming, and we will have multi-year gaps between films. Would love if Hasbro got back to producing multiple background characters, including astromechs. It's crazy to me that the Vintage Collection has been around since 2004, but we still only have two astromechs in that line. It would be so easy for Hasbro to give us BAD versions of 'mechs like R2-Q2, R2-X2, R4-P17, R4-G9, R5-M2, etc., on vintage cards. Honestly baffled it hasn't happened after all these years.

Anyways,.......I'm seeing TROS tomorrow night, and I will update this thread with whatever astromechs I spot. We know there's at least three (other than Artoo), fingers crossed there's more. Also hope Artoo isn't shoved to the sidelines yet again.

Reaction score
I watched the special feature after the Mandalorian last night and it looks like Artoo will actually be doing something! You know apart from being "asleep" (Episode 7) and a cameo (episode 8).

Reaction score
Oh and one more thing. I got my R4 base and am hoping to start work on my first custom droid. Can anyone give me advise on cracking the feet?

"1. I hope to make a custom droid (as soon as I can procure it). I am working from the BAD mold and wonder how to take the feet on the legs apart for painting purposes. That I believe will be the big sticking point for my first attempt at a droid custom."

Reaction score
I never found a way to crack the feet apart without damaging them. If you're just repainting them, some micro brushes can get the paint down in them to an acceptable level..

Reaction score
I never found a way to crack the feet apart without damaging them. If you're just repainting them, some micro brushes can get the paint down in them to an acceptable level..
Well guys, I just got back from Rise of Skywalker. The good news: I thought it was a mostly solid film, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. The bad news: Hardly any astromechs.☹

First of all, the only ground-based astromech I spotted was the fan-built, blue R2 unit R2-SHP. It was hanging out in the Resistance's jungle camp, but it was in the background and thus out of focus. No astromechs in Babu Frick's workshop. Only other astromechs I spotted were in the back of various X-wings and Y-wings. You could barely make out Zorii's teal R5 unit in her Y-wing, and Snap Wexley was using the same yellow R6 unit from TFA. I didn't spot the blue R6 or R5-D4-esque 'mech from the Disney 4-pack. It's possible they were there somewhere and I missed them, but no astromech other than R2-D2 had noticeable screen time.

That said, I can happily report that R2-D2 has more to do in this final film than he did in the previous two movies. He didn't get to do as much as I would have wanted, but at least he didn't spend most the movie under a dusty tarp.

Reaction score
Yeah, I struggled to spot any new astromechs on my first viewing. You did better than I, Palps! Will keep my eyes peeled on viewing two, later this week. Enjoyed the film, though, and astromech adjacent droid D-O was super sweet, I thought. :)

I reckon we'll have to keep this thread alive with customs or something, fellas, seeing as the licensees aren't doing much these days.

Reaction score
Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to everyone!!! 😊
And a Happy New Year to each of you! Fingers crossed that 2020 brings us some great new astromechs! Speaking of....was watching a random Galaxy's Edge video about what you can and can't wear in GE when it comes to cosplay, and spotted two new astromechs that I haven't seen revealed online before. A green R2 and a red R5 (seemingly modeled after the Yavin version of R5-K6). Both seem to be manning the Coke and Sprite carts, somewhere in the park. Hopefully some better pics of these two turn up eventually. Also, saw a video where R2-D2 was roaming the park with a cast member playing the role of a Resistance technician. Hopefully this is a sign that Disney is about to start letting droids roam the streets again. Makes sense to have a cast member with them to act as a bodyguard of sorts, to keep unruly children from trying to climb on them. Incorporating free-roaming droids into GE will definitely help ratchet up the immersion of being in the SW universe.

Reaction score
Okay, I feel dumb now. After my previous post, I just google'd "Galaxy's Edge Coke droids" and got plenty of pics, lol. Aplogies if these were already mentioned in the thread. Possible I may have missed a post or two in the past few months. Nice weathering on these two! Hope they show up in a 4-pack.;)

Reaction score
Seems our little corner of the forum has quietly passed away.😔 Hope everyone is well. I don't think I will be checking this thread as often as I used to anymore. Hope everybody has a good 2020 and we all get some much needed astromech goodness in our lives soon! Take care, everybody.