Astromech Droid Focus Collectors

Reaction score
A few have hit ebay with inflated prices. Sit tight, y'all. These will likely be available online soon.

Interesting that they seem to have stopped using photos of the actual droids on the back of the box. It only shows the figures now.

Reaction score
Gonna post this here as well. Not toy related, but some might be interested!

Adidas is coming out with some pretty sweet R2-themed sneakers. I'm a bit of a sneaker head, and for those that aren't, Adidas' BOOST material is arguably the best you can get as far as cushioning and comfort goes. These are the their 'Night Jogger' style, done up in R2-D2 colors. The Night Joggers normally have reflective 3M hits on them, so these are likely to have them as well. They cost over a hundred bucks, but are well worth it, IMO. Gonna try and snag a couple pairs when they release in early December!

Reaction score
Just got the new 3-pack today, and now that I see them in-hand, they're even nicer than the photos we've seen so far. First of all, the blue plastic used for both blue 'mechs has a very nice pearlescent hue to it. Never noticed this in previous pics online. The downside to that is the plastic has that kind of 'swirl' look in random areas, but it's not too noticeable in normal lighting. The legs also feel to be made from a much more sturdy plastic. They're not as bendy as previous BAD legs. There was still a bit of warp-age due to how they were forced into the tray, but a minute under the hairdryer on low heat fixed that up. I'm also warming up to the R5 unit, surprisingly. The blue and red paint is much more muted than the colors previously used for the various R5-D4-esque clones. The patterns on the back are also just unique enough to warrant leaving it as-is (was considering customizing it before). Overall, a very nice set. R2-SHP might be my favorite new R2 unit! Please note that the dirt/weathering isn't as obvious looking to the naked eye. My phone's camera flash is making it look brighter than it actually is.

A few cons and random observations:

-The blue droids share the exact same dirt/weathering pattern, unfortunately.

-The two black chest panels on the blue droids are filled in nicely, but the red chest panels on the R5 suffer from the same issue as some previous Disney BADs, where they're not filled in properly.

-The stand on D-O is removable. Unfortunately, the strut connecting his wheel body to his neck is made of a very rubbery plastic, and is prone to warping.

Reaction score
Thanks for the better pic and info. Seems i will pass on this, not really digging that style of paint deco. Nor the repeat of scheme on both, and essentially redo of R5.

The sheer lack of imagination on this set is rather demoralizing IMO. Make me think they're not even bothering themselves to make these concepts interesting.

Reaction score
Well, I think that fault is mostly on JJ and the droid dept itself. Disney can only make figures of the designs they're provided (when it comes to the film-based sets). I agree they're not super original or interesting, visually. Plus, R2-SHP is once again a fan-built droid (though I don't mind in this case, since it's not based on a pre-existing saga droid). I do wish the blue R6 droid had been replaced with the turquoise R5, and I wish the R5-D4 clone had been painted in a color scheme we haven't really seen on an R5 before (like a solid orange body + dome, with white or blue panels). I big part why I'm more forgiving of this set is that blue is my favorite color, and I've been wanting a solid blue R2 dome forever now.

I'm still hopeful that we'll get more unique looking astromechs in the future, what with the Mandalorian, Ben Kenobi, and other future Disney+ shows.

Reaction score
True, which is the problem IMO. I mean seriously, can they not dream up their own Droid designs other than a cone hooked to a wheel? GL might have gone too far with all various R2 units made. And in reality it was essentially the same patterns in just different colors. Aside from a few like R5-K6. But we can't even seem get any Astromechs besides R2. While it's nice to reach out to Astro Building Community and give them the honor of their Droids being in films. It's very limiting apparently.

I guess the positive side is that I spend much less Money now more than I ever have, so maybe I should be thanking them. Doesn't make it any less saddening/frustrating.

Reaction score
True, which is the problem IMO. I mean seriously, can they not dream up their own Droid designs other than a cone hooked to a wheel? GL might have gone too far with all various R2 units made. And in reality it was essentially the same patterns in just different colors. Aside from a few like R5-K6. But we can't even seem get any Astromechs besides R2. While it's nice to reach out to Astro Building Community and give them the honor of their Droids being in films. It's very limiting apparently.

I guess the positive side is that I spend much less Money now more than I ever have, so maybe I should be thanking them. Doesn't make it any less saddening/frustrating.
^^I hate saying it, but it's been the norm for awhile now... Hasbro has missed out on a lot of sales.

I'm definitely buying these droids. I would rather have had anything but the R5-D4 'clone' in this set, but it is what it is. There are plenty of colors out there... why this same basic pattern again? They have dozens at Galaxy's Edge just for decoration that would have been fun to see done up as a build-a-droid in 3.75"

Reaction score
I would be willing to bet that when Disney finally gets around to refreshing the astromech parts at the BAD stations, they will feature some of the droids we've seen in and around GE. Some really cool colorways are on display in the actual Droid Depot. Plenty of inspiration for new parts in there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That would be cool. I'd also love them to find a way to include some more of the cool astromechs from The Clone Wars (D-Squad I am looking at you, among others) and Rebels, most of which would be simple paint jobs. There are even a few from the OT and PT that haven't been done. I mentioned this in another thread, but will repeat the call here too: I'd love some fresh parst to be mixed in as well. Maybe retire the non Disney canon R7s, R8s and R9s (don't hate me) and fold in some of the close to traditional-looking astromech variants from Resistance or the Lothal astromechs from Rebels. The Mandalorian appears to have at least one new dome type, while we're at it.

Outside of the parts bins, for future singles, two-packs and four-packs, I'd love to see Chopper in his various repainted disguises. And even if protocols are being rested, perhaps they'd squeeze out an AP-5 before they're done? Bring on R3-A3 and some of the more avant garde astro-adjacent droids from Resistance, too. My point being, there's still plenty of scope for cool new droids lifted directly from on screen canon. Between those and droids based on Galaxy's Edge dressing, there are many great looking droids to choose from. Hasbro has given up their claim to this scale for the most part, and certainly to droid figures, it would seem, so in Disney I must hope. And that hope is that we'll see new 3.75" droids rolling out for many years to come.

Reaction score
The beginning of the end of my collection.
About to list all of my 3 3/4 Droids. Most loose, some packaged , at least one of every modern Droid made. Not breaking them up, so someone is going to inherit the entire bundle.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using a hacked pirate satellite in a decaying orbit

Reaction score
Good luck, though it's sad to see you getting out of the hobby. I think there's one or two people who have posted in this thread over the past year, who have mentioned they're just starting to collect astromechs. Might be worth your time to go back through the thread and see if you can find those users, and PM them about your collection. Most of us seasoned astromech collectors already have at least one of each droid, as well as duplicates of many others, so your best bet is to track down the guys or gals who are just starting out.

Reaction score
The beginning of the end of my collection.
About to list all of my 3 3/4 Droids. Most loose, some packaged , at least one of every modern Droid made. Not breaking them up, so someone is going to inherit the entire bundle.
Hope all is well with you.

I can't say that I haven't thought about getting rid of large parts of my collection, but it's a tough thing to do. I have most of the droids, but I'm still looking for most of them loose as I never meant to resell what I bought, but taking them out of the package at this point seems like a poor decision.

Reaction score
It is always sad to see someone leave this hobby but you know what I get it. I have been drastically downsizing my Marvel Legends collection. I already trimmed down my Star Wars to a few key elements (which includes all things astromech). Any way, I hope all is well and good luck to you JediXXL!

Reaction score
Hope all is well with you.

I can't say that I haven't thought about getting rid of large parts of my collection, but it's a tough thing to do.
So true! I grapple with that though weekly, and keep telling myself to stop buying. Yet the next day I'm scouring the net to see what's available next. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Wow that is quite the collection. Very, very nice. Good luck!

Reaction score
Wow that is quite the collection. Very, very nice. Good luck!
Would you say I have a plethora?

What should I be looking to get for everything?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using a hacked pirate satellite in a decaying orbit

Reaction score
So true! I grapple with that though weekly, and keep telling myself to stop buying. Yet the next day I'm scouring the net to see what's available next. :rolleyes:
I have an addiction. I was Sooo close to out and then BARGE!

Reaction score
Yeah, me too. Not to mention the Skiff and some other trailing Jabba themed items. It's those rushes that I guess we have to live on while all the repacks flood the line. I'm somewhat curious what the line will look like this time next year with no Movie tie ins.

Reaction score
Hopefully chock-full of Mandalorian goodness, not to mention digging back into all of the untouched fun from the recent films and animation series. There are so many great aliens and droids that Hasbro hasn't had time to hit due to the relentless pace of the new films coming out. I always found the between film years the best for toys in the old days, when Hasbro's designers paused, went back and picked up the coolest stuff that hadn't made it into the main character-heavy movie release waves with the benefit of having actually seen the films themselves.

Reaction score
Hopefully chock-full of Mandalorian goodness, not to mention digging back into all of the untouched fun from the recent films and animation series. There are so many great aliens and droids that Hasbro hasn't had time to hit due to the relentless pace of the new films coming out. I always found the between film years the best for toys in the old days, when Hasbro's designers paused, went back and picked up the coolest stuff that hadn't made it into the main character-heavy movie release waves with the benefit of having actually seen the films themselves.
We need those oddball characters. My favorite original characters were Hammerhead and Greedo. They were Vader's henchmen in my 6 year old imagination since I only had one stormtrooper. There are plenty of aliens and droids that need to be done. I honestly don't care which of the various TV shows or movies they come from. If it's a new alien or droid it's an automatic buy.

Reaction score
What should I be looking to get for everything?

I see you already posted the lot in the Classifieds thread. I would also post the lot on ebay, if you haven't already. Not only would you get more eyes looking at it, but it would improve your odds of selling it. Hate to say it, but the chances of a fellow 'Scummer buying it are probably pretty slim, primarily due to the fact that most astromech collectors probably already have a majority of what you're selling. And since you're not wanting to break up the items (which I completely understand), it will be difficult to find an existing astromech collector looking to drop a big chunk of change on what would be mostly duplicates for him or her. That's why I suggested previously that you go back through this thread to find those two (maybe three?) members who mentioned they're just starting out with astromech collecting, and had acquired only a few so far. You can PM them and possibly work out a deal. But yeah, listing the lot on ebay is going to greatly increase your chances of selling. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
We need those oddball characters. My favorite original characters were Hammerhead and Greedo. They were Vader's henchmen in my 6 year old imagination since I only had one stormtrooper. There are plenty of aliens and droids that need to be done. I honestly don't care which of the various TV shows or movies they come from. If it's a new alien or droid it's an automatic buy.
Exactly! The alien weirdo toys were always my favourites as a kid and what intrigued me about Star Wars before I had seen the film. Even as an adult collector, I didn't have any interest in collecting the figures until they released hammerhead, at which point I was instantly all in on every alien or cool droid, and have been ever since. Twenty years later, I have several thousand figures, but almost none are the main human characters, because they just aren't all that interesting as figures. It's all the colourful fun stuff, and it's what I feel has been thin on the ground these last few years. I sure hope we'll see some of that in the next 24 months.

And in 3.75" scale, please Hasbro! As beautiful as the Black Series figures are, they are pointless to me if they are a completely different size the rest of the collection.

Reaction score
Exactly! The alien weirdo toys were always my favourites as a kid and what intrigued me about Star Wars before I had seen the film. Even as an adult collector, I didn't have any interest in collecting the figures until they released hammerhead, at which point I was instantly all in on every alien or cool droid, and have been ever since. Twenty years later, I have several thousand figures, but almost none are the main human characters, because they just aren't all that interesting as figures. It's all the colourful fun stuff, and it's what I feel has been thin on the ground these last few years. I sure hope we'll see some of that in the next 24 months.

And in 3.75" scale, please Hasbro! As beautiful as the Black Series figures are, they are pointless to me if they are a completely different size the rest of the collection.
I have 12 12" figures on display opened. They are 6 Cantina Band Members and 6 Bounty Hunters from ESB. I have 4 Sideshow 12" figures. All the Alien Jedi they produced (Ki, Kit, Aayla, Plo). I have nearly every droid you can buy in 3.75" scale. I bought the main characters too, but not in any scale other than 3.75". I can't avoid the weirdos. I have to force myself not to buy non-Star Wars weirdos and robots...

Reaction score
Much in common we have it would seem! Though I don't actively collect them, I have just a few 12"ers as well, and like you, they're all aliens! :D

I'm hopeful Disney also uses the time between movies to keep bringing us 3.75" droid sets, mining the back catalogue of previous entertainment for missed astromechs as well as any that sow up in the new series. I loved the CW 4-pack that they released a couple of years ago.

Reaction score
I see you already posted the lot in the Classifieds thread. I would also post the lot on ebay, if you haven't already. Not only would you get more eyes looking at it, but it would improve your odds of selling it. Hate to say it, but the chances of a fellow 'Scummer buying it are probably pretty slim, primarily due to the fact that most astromech collectors probably already have a majority of what you're selling. And since you're not wanting to break up the items (which I completely understand), it will be difficult to find an existing astromech collector looking to drop a big chunk of change on what would be mostly duplicates for him or her. That's why I suggested previously that you go back through this thread to find those two (maybe three?) members who mentioned they're just starting out with astromech collecting, and had acquired only a few so far. You can PM them and possibly work out a deal. But yeah, listing the lot on ebay is going to greatly increase your chances of selling. Good luck!
I would trade the entire lot for the Tamashii Nations Perfect Model Chogokin C-3PO
I'm NOT an eBay seller, but thanks for the advice...

Reaction score
Wow! That would be a steal! Too bad I don't have an extra Chogokin 3PO laying around.;) Glad to hear you're not getting out of collecting entirely then! I too have considered selling or trading off all my remaining 3.75" figures (except for the Barge passengers to populate my Sail Barge), but I would have a really, really hard time letting go of my astromechs. When I think of all the time and effort I put into tracking most of them down, to sell them would just feel wrong somehow. But that's just me, heh. Hope you find a buyer, cuz you have a great collection there!

Reaction score
Translucent orange with an all silver head? Yikes. No thank you. First 'holiday' droid I'm passing on. How disappointing. Was really hoping for a variation of the previous two R2 units, with a base body done in green, dome in red, and silver or white paneling.

Reaction score
He's a Christmas tree bauble, I am guessing. It's not my favourite design but works as an in-universe 'more money than taste' dilettante's personal valet droid, or something. I'll take him. :)

Reaction score
It's a photobashed concept, as I understand it. It is not an existing holiday droid. Nice-looking droid, though. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Which one is that? I don’t remember it from any of the Disney ones ... am I just going crazy?!?!? lol

Yeah, sorry, just another one of my Photoshop'd concepts, lol. Just switched the red and green on R2-H16, which is what I hope they do eventually. Wouldn't even mind if they used an R4 or R5 dome instead, as long as they stuck with the green/red/white color schemes. I would love if they started doing pastel droids around Easter time too. Somewhere, a million pages back in this thread, I posted pics from the back of a Star Wars themed Easter egg decoration kit, and it had cartoon depictions of several R2 units in various pastel color combos. I immediately wanted them all in figure form, heh.

Reaction score
The new Mandalorian teaser gives us a better look at the new astromech dome type, which I mentioned a while back. Looks to be a perfect fusion of an R2 and R5 dome. I like it! Hopefully we see this guy in a new Droid Factory set soon!

Reactions: pod
Reaction score
Sad to see you go, Jed, but so long as you're happy. :)

For my part, I really hope we see that cute new R2/R5 hybrid from the Mando in 3.75" form, soon! :D This nerd is still all in. ;)