Astromech Droid Focus Collectors

Reaction score
Welcome to the boards! I don't own any of the Sega 'mechs, so I can't say for certain, but I found this pic of one next to a customized Bandai kit. Going by this image alone, I'd say the Sega 'mechs are likely very close to the ArtFX astromechs. Maybe a tad bigger, but probably not by much.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Would I buy that Droid Vehicle combo in 3.75" scale? YES, yes I would!
Seconded! They often have merch' like that don't they? I know when we were there this summer my son wanted a Monorail set. Its was over $100 so we skipped it... I almost picked up a die-cast of the Star Tours shuttle. This would be a cool piece in 3.75" to add some flavor to my droid collection.

Granted would that go against the branding and experience they are pushing in Galaxy's Edge? I know the Star Wars name is not included on anything and there are no 3.75" droid bins as that doesn't exist because you are there...

Reaction score
Names are on the cans.
Yellow series 1
G8 r3
R4 a22
R4 p44

Blue
R4 i9
R5 m2
R2 q5

Red
R5 x3
R4 x2
R2 shp
I’m guessing they will have another R4 unit in the retail lineup soon. Starwarscollector.com says these ones are exclusive to D23. R4-M9 most likely.

Reaction score
Welcome to the boards! I don't own any of the Sega 'mechs, so I can't say for certain, but I found this pic of one next to a customized Bandai kit. Going by this image alone, I'd say the Sega 'mechs are likely very close to the ArtFX astromechs. Maybe a tad bigger, but probably not by much.
Thanks, much appreciated- that’s a great find - hadn’t come across that picture before! Looks like they’ll be pretty close...

Reaction score
Anyone know why R2-BHD is going to auction? Mostly just curious.
Talked to Brad Oakley, the builder, and he just told me that "They became a nightmare, damage and risk all the time. Time to get into safe hands and not keep in the shed. I've slept better since they went. But looking to make the 3rd droid still, so won't be quit for long". Not just R2-BHD, but R2-X2 and the R5 and R4 domes went to auction, too: https://ukm.propstoreauction.com/m/search/?page=1&view=grid&key=brad oakley&sale=undefined&catm=any&order=timeleft&live=no&timed=no&regular=no&buynow=no&makeoffer=no&xclosed=no&featured=no

Reaction score
Tucson, wretched hive of scum and villany
Talked to Brad Oakley, the builder, and he just told me that "They became a nightmare, damage and risk all the time. Time to get into safe hands and not keep in the shed. I've slept better since they went. But looking to make the 3rd droid still, so won't be quit for long". Not just R2-BHD, but R2-X2 and the R5 and R4 domes went to auction, too: https://ukm.propstoreauction.com/m/search/?page=1&view=grid&key=brad oakley&sale=undefined&catm=any&order=timeleft&live=no&timed=no&regular=no&buynow=no&makeoffer=no&xclosed=no&featured=no
Nice to know he's not out of the game! R2-BHD is one of my favorite builds from the club. Too bad I don't have a 60-80K extra laying around.

Reaction score
Crazy that he would sell that droid! Especially now that it's officially a screen-used prop. lol

Anyways, finally got around to weathering my Bandai M2 custom. Might try R4-E1 next, or maybe R2-B1.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So still having some trouble nailing down R5-B0019 but I will likely resort to eBay soon. Some friends went down for the Halloween stuff and forgot to grab one for me before leaving. Oh well.

Onto newer things, any news on the Holiday droid yet? Will it just pop up like B0019 did?

Reaction score
So still having some trouble nailing down R5-B0019 but I will likely resort to eBay soon. Some friends went down for the Halloween stuff and forgot to grab one for me before leaving. Oh well.

Onto newer things, any news on the Holiday droid yet? Will it just pop up like B0019 did?
Im in GE right now and passed on a him. The cards are not too great currently.

Reaction score
The absence of a 3.75" D23 droid and the lack of news about any forthcoming four packs, two packs or a holiday droid have me wondering whether Disney may be pausing with their wonderful 3.75" astro droid releases. I don't mean to be Chicken Little, but it would make sense, seeing as the focus has shifted to Galaxy's Edge merch and we're seeing astromech exclusives in other scales. I hope that's not the case. I love and will miss all of the fabulous Disney droid releases for 3.75", especially as Hasbro has become so conservative with their products in recent years.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you. Starting to worry about the future of 3.75" astromechs. If they stop making regular 4-packs, and stop refreshing the BAD stations, it will be very dark days indeed. I don't want to imagine a scenario where we can only count on two new droids a year (Halloween and Xmas). Since Disney is the one putting the silly embargo on new product reveals until TFF, I'm crossing my fingers a new pack from TROS will be revealed next month.

Reaction score
On a more chipper note, I finally secured Sideshow's R5-D4. Weathering isn't as nice as the pics on the box, but it's decent. Couple of QC issues I had to fix, but since I got a good deal, and since Arfive is getting harder to come by, I'm not complaining.

Reaction score
I am worried about the future of astro-collecting as well. I really like tracking down these Disney droids. The movie packs are nice, screen-linked droids while the holiday ones are just fun. I'd be really bummed to see them go but as stated above it seems like that time is creeping up. It was a pain sometimes to track these droids down (R3-B0017 eludes me and I just cannot swallow a $50 or more price tag for 1 droid) but generally I have managed (often with help from right here).

I think another sad trend is the decreasing appearances of these droids. It seems like they are becoming more and more absent in the backgrounds to help fill out the world on-screen. Maybe its just me but the droids just don't seem to have much attention anymore. One big grip I have with the new ones is the tiny amount of time R2-D2 has on-screen and even when there just seems to be a set-piece. This astromech was a plucky central character in 6 of the films why is he so diminished now?

If we are entering into a dark-time for astro-collecting what are folks plans to cope? Enjoy the break, work on displaying them, work on tracking down missed opportunities from the past? Just curious. I hope to work on some displaying, I have a cool idea and I hope to enlist the skills of my retired father-in-law. He just retired from his job curating in an art museum. I enjoy working with him. I may also try to track down some missing astromechs, such as B0017 among others.

Reaction score
I think another sad trend is the decreasing appearances of these droids. It seems like they are becoming more and more absent in the backgrounds to help fill out the world on-screen. Maybe its just me but the droids just don't seem to have much attention anymore.
I've definitely noticed it, and perhaps that's a small part of the problem. Rogue One and TFA did have a handful (TLJ only had ONE single astromech, other than Artoo:|), but they were mostly fan-built droids based on preexisting 'mechs from past films. There was a real lack of newness to be had. I'm hopeful that future films and TV series will rectify that issue. We already know we're getting two unique astromechs in Rise of Skywalker so far (the mostly blue R2 unit, which is a fan-built droid, but an original design, and the turquoise/teal R5 unit, which was revealed via an upcoming Lego minifig), and The Mandalorian is introducing a new type of astromech dome, so there's still a glimmer of hope.

One big grip[e] I have with the new ones is the tiny amount of time R2-D2 has on-screen and even when there just seems to be a set-piece. This astromech was a plucky central character in 6 of the films why is he so diminished now?
This is also my biggest beef with the new movies (which I mostly enjoy). I have nothing to back up this theory, but I've speculated that BB-8 wasn't created just to replace Artoo for the hell of it, but because JJ wanted a droid companion that could move faster than Artoo, so it could keep up with our heroes when they're running around from one place to the next. There are times in the PT when Artoo is clearly CG and is moving way faster than Artoo ever did in the OT. Those scenes always rubbed me the wrong way, since it didn't look natural to have R2-D2 moving so quickly. So, if I were to guess, JJ didn't want to speed up Artoo either, and thus he came up with a new type of droid that could go faster. The byproduct of that is poor Artoo got relegated to a side-character, only to be dusted off (quite literally in TFA) when they wanted to give him a cameo which didn't require him to be moving around much. His moment in TLJ was pretty great, but it was just that: A single moment. Even though Artoo is nowhere to be seen in the current trailers for TROS, I've seen some promotional images of him with BB-8 and D-O being used on kids' clothing and lunchboxes, so I'm hoping JJ finally gives R2-D2 his due in the final film.

Reaction score
EmperorPalps thanks for the fix on my misspelling of gripe. I ran through too quickly on my proofread.

As for your speed theory. I had never thought about that and will need to pay more attention on my viewings of the prequels. One off-putting thing from the prequels was all of Atroo's new "powers." Its odd that he had been more advanced in the past then downgraded in the future. I didn't even consider the speed of his moments but did not like his ability to suddenly fly.

With Threepio getting some attention and turning Sith apparently... I hope Artoo will be there to tag along.

Reaction score
New BAD astromech 3-pack revealed for TROS. The blue, fan-built R2 unit, a similarly colored droid with an R6 head, and an R5 unit with R5-D4 colors (but different patterns). Comes with D-O. These are likely droids from the droid factory scene that takes place in TROS.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's a nice set, but I hope they don't charge as much as they do for a normal four pack, since D-O is so small. Also do kinda wish they had given us a fourth astromech in this set. Where's the teal R5 unit, featured in the Lego Y-wing set?

Reaction score
I have very mixed feelings on this set. Really kind of tired of the mostly white with red lined R5. The two blue ones are nice but the same from the "neck" down. Finally D-O is a tiny statue. It generally feels a bit boring and will likely have the same price point... Granted new reveals have a level of excitement to them in these dark times...

Show me the holiday droid!

Think this will be the first on-screen R6 unit? Would love to get some R7 and R8 droids!

Reaction score
I have very mixed feelings on this set. Really kind of tired of the mostly white with red lined R5. The two blue ones are nice but the same from the "neck" down. Finally D-O is a tiny statue. It generally feels a bit boring and will likely have the same price point... Granted new reveals have a level of excitement to them in these dark times...

Show me the holiday droid!

Think this will be the first on-screen R6 unit? Would love to get some R7 and R8 droids!
I’m pretty sure there are a couple R6’s in TFA. At least heads in droid sockets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I hear ya. There needs to be a moratorium on any R5 units that even remotely resemble R5-D4. That color design is so played out now. Sadly, I think another R5-D4 clone appears in The Mandalorian, so I bet we haven't seen the last of that design in the Droid Factory line. Blue is my favorite color, so loving the blue R2, but wish we had gotten a different colored droid in lieu of the R6.

I’m pretty sure there are a couple R6’s in TFA. At least heads in droid sockets?
Yup. The R6 droids do appear in TFA.

pod

Reaction score
Kinda lame. The R5-d4 one is clearly the case of the production team just putting some removable colored tape on the same hobbyist droid that's been in like every Disney film. I suppose it's better than the inevitable r5-x2 that's been in every movie, but hopefully there's some cooler looking ones in the actual movie.

Reaction score
I'm afraid they are: the set is $29.99 :(
BOOOOO!!! Hope this isn't a sneaky way to test if consumers will buy 3-packs for the same price as 4-packs, going forward. Hope this is just a one-time scenario.

Kinda lame. The R5-d4 one is clearly the case of the production team just putting some removable colored tape on the same hobbyist droid that's been in like every Disney film. I suppose it's better than the inevitable r5-x2 that's been in every movie, but hopefully there's some cooler looking ones in the actual movie.
Hadn't even considered that. You're probably right. *sigh* Well, I will be doing some customizing to mine, once I have it. I have no desire for more R5-D4-esque droids in my 3.75" collection. I'll likely modify the R6 as well by adding some additional black panels to his body, just to further distinguish him from R2-SHP.

Last edited:
Reaction score
They should have included 3 different regular Droids and included a swappable extra dome for the blue body packaged above the D-O lamp.

Regarding the R5 unit, it doesn't look that close to R5-D4, its more of a R4-A22/R5-X2 prequel style design.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I like the idea of more difference in the set, but I prefer getting full and complete droids, so the way they've done it suits me. I'd be complaining about having to buy a second set to put a body under my extra dome. Yes, there's less value in DO than a full new droid, but at least he's 100% new. And I think Disney's banking on the popular appeal of DO to sell lots of units for them.

Now, I just hope that as we move past the trilogy films and into a period of fewer motion picture releases Disney's droid product designers look at the tv shows for future inspiration for sets like these. There's so much colorful new droid fun to be found in The Clone Wars, Rebels, Resistance, and now it looks like in The Mandalorian as well. It's rich territory to mine for fun new sets that would surely be more appealing than some they have released in the past.

Reaction score
I like this idea! Too late though but this would have increased the value of the set.
Preface - While I don't think my idea that follows would be good for regular retail, how about a truly Droid Factory set that is maybe one astromech - complete, with parts all around it for a truly swappable build a droid set.

This would only be for Parks, where you can buy compatible build a droids. $15 for a droid and 2 extra domes, 2 extra sets of legs. To be honest, Hasbro could do this too, but that ship has sailed.

Reaction score
Droid parts packs would be awesome. I could imagine little packs that came with diverse parts from different sorts of astro droids: enough to build three or four complete droids in different combinations, perhaps grouped around a common colour theme. Essentially it's what we are getting with the current multi-packs, but the proposed idea would see more part variety and an emphasis on the swapability of components in the presentation.

Eg: The yellow astromech set -

1 x R2 dome, yellow with silver trim
1 x R3 dome, transparent with yellow trim
1 x R4 dome, yellow with white trim

1 x trunk, white with yellow trim
1 x trunk, yellow with silver trim and some open panels
1 x trunk, yellow with white trim and a replaced, mismatched red panel

1 x pair of yellow legs with silver trim and deployed boosters
1 x pair of white legs with yellow trim
1 x pair of yellow legs with white trim

1 x improvised 3rd appendage
1 x white 3rd leg
1 x yellow third leg

3 or 4 plug in extra arms and deployed special tools that can be plugged into domes or trunks

Or something like that.

Bonus if the droids you can build are actually based on some in the shows that have not yet received toys.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cool idea. Too bad we'll likely never get anything that awesome. Anyways, first visual proof that R2-D2 is at least in the new movie, heh. Really hoping JJ heard the complaints of Artoo getting put on the sidelines, and rectifies it.

Reaction score
Nobody has the new Rise of Skywalker set? I'm assuming it's not out yet then?