Astromech Droid Focus Collectors

Reaction score
Looks good but I don't know too much about these figures. Do their heads turn and do they have the centre leg?
Yes, it does! :)

The only 2 things that keep me from buying it, is that the dome and the "arms" are inaccurate: dome should be half a sphere, but it's a little more rounded (looks like a light bulb to me); and the utility arms are ridiculously thinly shaped... Apart from that, they are wonderful pieces! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score

The only 2 things that keep me from buying it, is that the dome and the "arms" are inaccurate: dome should be half a sphere, but it's a little more rounded.
That's what I thought as well, that it's slightly more than semi-circular. Not by much but noticable to droid aficionados.

Reaction score

The only 2 things that keep me from buying it, is that the dome and the "arms" are inaccurate: dome should be half a sphere, but it's a little more rounded (looks like a light bulb to me); and the utility arms are ridiculously thinly shaped.

Yeah, those two things jumped out at me as well when I first saw this ARTfx mold. The utility arms were the biggest head-scratcher, since it seems like such an easy thing to get right! So many photos of actual astromech props are out there, that it's strange how Koto took such artistic liberties. So, at first I thought I was going to pass on these as well, but when they announced the $30 price, the astromech freak inside me just couldn't resist.:twisted: I won't be buying all the color variants, but if they do some OT droids, I will definitely buy them.

Reaction score
I was just going through my Astrodroid pix and was reminded of a variation of this figure I own:

Left-Standard Version
Right-Missing 2 yellow paint apps and the additional paint app on the lower left side of the torso.

Just so U error/variation hunters know.

Spencer?:>}

Last edited:
Reaction score
2 new droids first a legacy BAD droid i painted the panelling ,legs and dome
R3-B2

another TCW astromech
R5-L2

Reaction score
Was this a confirmed variation spotted on more than one of these guys, or is yours just a one-off factory error? I don't normally care about variations, but if I could get a different looking astromech out of it....
Hiya Palpy,
I am not sure about it being a variation as I have not seen mention of it elsewhere.
So I guess it's just a one-off error.
Spencer?:>}

Reaction score
hey guys- do you have any suggestions on how to dismantle a regular hasbro droid? is there a easy way without breaking it? its the r4-p17... the one where you twist the head and the 3rd leg comes down.

Reaction score
I've tried it once. I boil-n-popped one of the legs off, then stuck a pair of needle-nose pliers into the leg hole and pulled the handles apart until it popped in half. It takes a lot of strength cuz you have to split the sonic-welding, so pull with all your might! Once it pops apart, the parts will fly everywhere, so have the body nestled down in a blanket or something, so you don't lose track of any parts.

While it did come apart rather cleanly, it didn't go back together quite as nicely. You'll have some visible seems since the sonic-welding was broken.

Reaction score
I've tried it once. I boil-n-popped one of the legs off, then stuck a pair of needle-nose pliers into the leg hole and pulled the handles apart until it popped in half. It takes a lot of strength cuz you have to split the sonic-welding, so pull with all your might! Once it pops apart, the parts will fly everywhere, so have the body nestled down in a blanket or something, so you don't lose track of any parts.

While it did come apart rather cleanly, it didn't go back together quite as nicely. You'll have some visible seems since the sonic-welding was broken.
Kids: don't try this at home without the supervision of a grown-up ;)

Reaction score

thanks for the info!

Reaction score
Got my 12" Vintage R5-D4 from Gentle Giant in the mail today!!!

Reaction score
Finally got my hands on CB-3D today, also got in my loose R5-D8 as well. Bunch of remote droids coming in soon.

Reaction score
Finally got my hands on CB-3D today, also got in my loose R5-D8 as well. Bunch of remote droids coming in soon.
Did you get the remote droids recently? Where? How much? Tell me, please, 'cause I need them all (except R5-X2 and R5-D4)!!! :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
Picked them up in a lot recently at a local toyshow here, including R4-P17 which I had not seen before. Will get pics shortly.

Reaction score
My favorite is the clear r2-d2 remote droid!

Picked them up in a lot recently at a local toyshow here, including R4-P17 which I had not seen before. Will get pics shortly.

Reaction score
Picture as promised, should have my clear R2 this week to finish up this little run.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Pretty sure the R4-P17, R5-D4 and R5-X2 are Japanese, R2-D2 I'm not sure and R2-Q5 was part of Legacy collection I believe. R2-D2 I picked up from someone here quite a while ago for a few bucks (5-10?) and the other 4 I picked up last weekend at a local toyshow for 50$ for the 4.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wonderful bunch!!! Are they ALL japanese exclusives? At least R4-P17 is... :)

Now that nobody's listening... how much did you pay for them? ;)
Pretty sure the R4-P17, R5-D4 and R5-X2 are Japanese, R2-D2 I'm not sure and R2-Q5 was part of Legacy collection I believe. R2-D2 I picked up from someone here quite a while ago for a few bucks (5-10?) and the other 4 I picked up last weekend at a local toyshow for 50$ for the 4.
Picture as promised, should have my clear R2 this week to finish up this little run.

I havent read back for a few pages but, there is a Clear R2-D2 Celebration Japan excl. (I think). Here's a pic I found online...

Reaction score
Well now for your further edification here is a breakdown of the Tomy/Hasbro RC Astrodroids:The following droids were 1st Japanese exclusives then released through Star Wars Shop for $19.99 each, both releases came in the original Japanese packaging:

R2-D2 (1st Release)-2005

R2-D2 (2nd release)-2006

R2-Q5 (2006)

R4-P17 (2006)

The following were 1st Japanese exclusives in 2006 then rereleased in 2009 (with a new Copyright Date of 2009) exclusive to Target in Legacy Collection packaging for $16.99 each:

R2-D2 (3rd release)-2009

R2-Q5 (3rd release)-2009

R5-D4 (Japanese)-2006

R5-D4 (Target)-2009

R5-X2 (Japanese)-2006

R5-X2 (Target)-2009

Finally there was
"Weathered" R2-D2 in 2007 for the 30th Anniversary of A New Hope:

And R2-D2 [translucent]
A Celebration Japan (2008) exclusive later released on Star Wars Shop in the same packaging:

So there you have it seven individual droids, many packaging variations.

Share & Njoi,
Spencer D. Welch II?:>}

Last edited:
Reaction score
Got an extra R5-D8 from the TRU BOGO the other day, and since he has plain silver panels on top of his head, I figured it was a good opportunity to make a generic, white R5 dome. Gently removed the red stripe with an x-acto knife and a tiny bit of Goof-Off, and voilà!

Reaction score
Could this be a sign of the end of speculation about this little droid? :)

[h=1]Star Wars Legacy R5-K6 Astromech Droid Scramble on Yavin MINT Complete Loose[/h]

Item condition:New
Ended:Sep 09, 201223:54:54 PDT
Winning bid:US $36.00 [ 9 bids ]
Shipping:$3.00 USPS First Class Package
Item location:Arizona, United States
Seller:waffleman72 ( 1433
)
|

Reaction score
Oh, I see. I wasn't aware of how high it normally sold for. $36 still seems like a lot to me though! Hasbro just needs to release the figure again in some way. If not a straight rerelease, then maybe a new b.a.d. version or something. The patterns on the dome are technically incorrect, so they would have a good excuse to redo it and be more faithful to the prop!

Hasbro obviously didn't see this image when making their version. Not only is the toy missing the white horizontal stripes running through the middle, but the pattern around the silver piston-like things is incorrect too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well as I was perusing other Astrodroid based threads I came up with some more Kustomz using some upcoming Astromech products:
1st off the dome from Yoda's Jedi Starfighter:

You can use:
Torsos
R2-L3
R3-A2
R5-A2

Legs
R2-L3
R3-A2
R5-A2

M.F.s
All white