Ask the MR SBU Part 2

Reaction score
Jedi_Mansur said:
Thanks for the info, particularly the EE Helmet.

Can you give us ANY more detail on what we can expect from the EE line this year? Lightsaber? Blaster? Helmet? Which quarter?

Thanks!
Yes Brian what is the 2006 plan for the EE line?...been waiting since Thanksgiving!, any hints would be great.

Reaction score
MRSWBryan said:
We analyze each prop and determine the best processes and materials to make each product. We take into consideration many different parameters to determine the best way to represent the actual prop.

We know that each lightsaber was made by machining different materials, or using components from other things. Then, since there are multiples of each prop, they cast resin pieces to make the duplicates to reduce the labor to make each one. So even though the hero version on screen made be made of resin, like Qui-Gon, the original piece in which the resin pieces were cast, was machined.

As for the LE Storm Trooper helmet, due to the well known history of the helmet, we felt that it was important to make it exactly as seen on screen, defects and all!

So, we review each prop and then determine the construction and materials. Therefore, each prop we make will differ from each other.
This is the single best reason for different models and versions. Thank you for making them and continuing to keep our prop community alive.

Reaction score
Mati said:
Hi Bryan!

Are there any plans to release :

1. Obi-Wan TPM Lightsaber LE
2. Anakin AOTC Battle Damged Lightsaber with blue crystal
3. Ankin AOTC FX saber LED
4. Qui-Gon FX

5. ROTJ Vader CE/LE/SE/EE

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input! We shall take all of these suggestions as develop our future product plans.

As for the EE's for this year, we are working on a variety of items, but we are not ready to announce any at this time, since they are still in development.

For 2007, even though we have not finalized the plan, as you know it is the 30th anniverary of ANH. We are working with Lucasfilm to market around this special event!

Reaction score
MRSWBryan said:
Thanks for all of the input! We shall take all of these suggestions as develop our future product plans.

As for the EE's for this year, we are working on a variety of items, but we are not ready to announce any at this time, since they are still in development.

For 2007, even though we have not finalized the plan, as you know it is the 30th anniverary of ANH. We are working with Lucasfilm to market around this special event!
Sweet
I can't wait to hear some news on that

Reaction score
MRSWBryan said:
Thanks for the update! Can't wait to hear what the EE plans will be!

Reaction score
MRSWBryan said:
Good!

More....costumes?

30 year anniversary....Hmm....
OK...

Han Solo Costume with CE Blaster? (Come on!)
Bowcaster
Stormtrooper Grappling Hook
Studio Scale Tantive IV
Studio Scale T-16 Skyhopper
Studio Scale Landspeeder
Studio Scale X-Wing with Death Star base
Gaffi Stick
Pondo Bobba's severed arm
Luke's Floppy Hat and Poncho! (HA!)
Jawa Blaster
Sandtrooper Grenade Launcher Rifle
Sandtrooper Helmet
Tie Pilot Helmet
Rebel Trooper Helmet
Mouse Droid FX! (Come on, you KNOW this would be fun!)
Welding Shield/(Saber Training) Helmet
Chess Table (FX?)
Luke ANH FX
Obi-Wan ANH CE
Sand People Mask
C-3PO Mask Head (With Lights)

Reaction score
MRSWBryan said:
Items?!? Man, at the pricing of the EEs I don't know if I can handle a bunch of EE items hitting in the same year....

Reaction score
Jedi_Mike said:
MRSWBryan said:
Items?!? Man, at the pricing of the EEs I don't know if I can handle a bunch of EE items hitting in the same year....
Don't worry! The EE's that we are working on are not all for 2006. Some of these take a couple years in research and development!

Reaction score
Hmmm....I wonder how forthcoming you'll be over at MR about these EEs under development. We know that there are Helmets in the works but are there more plans for further Lightsabers and maybe a Blaster or two?

Reaction score
Jedi_Mike said:
Hmmm....I wonder how forthcoming you'll be over at MR about these EEs under development. We know that there are Helmets in the works but are there more plans for further Lightsabers and maybe a Blaster or two?
Me too!

Reaction score
Are we going to see a Scout Trooper blaster pistol anytime soon? I noticed that this item made the top 3 list of most prop collectors just about a month ago. A CE edition would be cool, for around... say $50? It would only have a single zoom scope. The LE should have a working, illuminated, blinking-lights multiple zoom scope, and removeable cartridge!
Maybe around $100? That would sell really well, IMO. Maybe a version that fires BB's? Lol

Reaction score
MRSWBryan said:
There are many different "stories" surrounding the Hero and Stunt versions of the Storm Trooper Helmets. After much research, we are going on the premise that the Hero and the Stunts were actually made from the same basic mold.

The Heroes were the first ones made, which had extra detail that you do not see on SOME of the stunts. It is our understanding that as they made the stunts, they reduced some of the detail because of the difficutly to remove them from the molds. This is evident in the indented cheek areas. On the Hero versions, these are deeper and has an undercut.

Also, the painting was not as detailed on the stunts as on the Heroes. A good example may be the stripes in the mouth, (some of them, they did not paint the far outside ones, and some only 3 to the left and 4 to the right!)

Also, as noted before the bubble lenses versus the flat plate lense.

We have in our possession what is believed to be one of the first pieces formed in the molds, before some of the detail was removed. Therefore, we will paint it like a Hero version, as well . . .

However, once again, as we proceed through development, this information can be a moving target! We try our best to get the best reference material available!
Hi Bryan, interesting information but I though I'd put you right on a couple of mistakes.....

The STUNTS were made first (around Feb 1976), The Hero's were not done till a few weeks later.

The vast majority of the Stunts (possibly all) were made from a khaki coloured HDPE which was painted white. This cheap material (essentially polythene) was used extensively by Ainsworth and was on hand for the first helmets before the white ABS was specifically brought in for the project. Note that I think your point about difficulty in pulling the cap/back off the mould is probably correct as is the fact that there was ONE mould for Stunt and Hero.

Timing-wise it looks like the Hero's were made just before or just after the TIE helmets, which obviously share the same face (albeit different colour ABS) and bubble lenses.

I'm surprised you say the Hero faces have more detail than the Stunts as thats the opposite of what Ive found handling a number of original helmets. The stunts are notibly more sharper although this is partly the way the HDPE cuts back on itself in certain places like the tears (which are almost "pinched" on the HDPE Stunts) and under the eyes.

Also the stripes on the original ANH Stormtrooper helmets (certianly all the Stunts Ive come across) didnt have decals but had were painted using some kind of silk screen mask. However the ESB and RotJ DID use decals.

If you're looking for reference material may I suggest a certain "Star Wars Helmets.com"

Cheers

Jez

Reaction score
Hi, Bryan. I'm very happy that you are managing the Star Wars line, and I'm excited that you will get things on the right track in short order. I envision a whole new chapter for MR, and the sky's the limit!!! So good luck and best wishes to you!!!

Now, I have a question about the stormtrooper helmet. It is well-known that talented garage modelers and hobbyists have contributed to the development of your products. For example, it is well-known that Frank Cerney and Morton (what's his last name?) worked on the Millenium Falcon engineering master, which is widely considered to be the ultimate iteration of that piece (and the first studio scale model I intend to acquire). Also, moffeaton from the RPF has painted a number of MR prototypes, such as the AT-AT and Boba Fett helmet, albeit to mixed reviews. He talks about his work for MR all the time on the forums and elsewhere.

Well, before he left MR to pursue other opportunities, Steve D. told me that MR retained Gerardo Follano to fabricate a trooper helmet as a "talking piece" to secure the license. He also told me that the helmet was scanned. Because it is widely-known that many other noted artisans from the hobby collaborate with MR, I'm assuming that this information is not considered proprietary in any way. If I am mistaken, please excuse me, as I've heard the story from other sources as well.

In any case, I was wondering if you could elaborate on this. Many people, myself included, greatly admire Gerardo and consider him to me not just a talented artisan with a passion for the trooper costume, but also a genuinely decent guy.

Will Gerard be involved in other aspects of the production? I hope so, as his involvement would add a substantial level of credibility to your good efforts.

In any case, the trooper helmet will be another must have for me. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with next.

John

P.S. Here's a fun anecdote for everyone. The idea for .45 scaled replicas came from a conversation I had with Steve a couple of years ago. He was soliciting ideas, and I recalled collecting highly detailed 1:3 scale guns as a kid. I told him I'd love to see a line of "desktop" sabers and blasters. I'm happy he liked the idea, as the scaled props are fun to acquire, and well-made to boot. JP

Reaction score
Re: Ask the MR SBU Part 2 - FX Sabers

With the Obi-Wan FX saber showing up at Toyfair 2006 some of the questions are being raised about different Obi Wan FX sabers based on the TPM or AOTC movie sabers as a future item (2007 maybe).

A Obi Wan TPM FX saber would be neat with the blue blade and the throwback feel and the influence of the Qui Gon Jinn saber.

An Obi Wan AOTC FX saber would be great additon also (or overkill in other's opinions).

Grahame

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
jhyphen said:
Well, before he left MR to pursue other opportunities, Steve D. told me that....
Back the truck up....Steve D isn't with MR anymore?? How did I miss this? I remember all the stuff that went down before Xmas, but I thought he was coming back?

Reaction score
Bingo_Bongo said:
MRSWBryan said:
There are many different "stories" surrounding the Hero and Stunt versions of the Storm Trooper Helmets. After much research, we are going on the premise that the Hero and the Stunts were actually made from the same basic mold.

The Heroes were the first ones made, which had extra detail that you do not see on SOME of the stunts. It is our understanding that as they made the stunts, they reduced some of the detail because of the difficutly to remove them from the molds. This is evident in the indented cheek areas. On the Hero versions, these are deeper and has an undercut.

Also, the painting was not as detailed on the stunts as on the Heroes. A good example may be the stripes in the mouth, (some of them, they did not paint the far outside ones, and some only 3 to the left and 4 to the right!)

Also, as noted before the bubble lenses versus the flat plate lense.

We have in our possession what is believed to be one of the first pieces formed in the molds, before some of the detail was removed. Therefore, we will paint it like a Hero version, as well . . .

However, once again, as we proceed through development, this information can be a moving target! We try our best to get the best reference material available!
Hi Bryan, interesting information but I though I'd put you right on a couple of mistakes.....

The STUNTS were made first (around Feb 1976), The Hero's were not done till a few weeks later.

The vast majority of the Stunts (possibly all) were made from a khaki coloured HDPE which was painted white. This cheap material (essentially polythene) was used extensively by Ainsworth and was on hand for the first helmets before the white ABS was specifically brought in for the project. Note that I think your point about difficulty in pulling the cap/back off the mould is probably correct as is the fact that there was ONE mould for Stunt and Hero.

Timing-wise it looks like the Hero's were made just before or just after the TIE helmets, which obviously share the same face (albeit different colour ABS) and bubble lenses.

I'm surprised you say the Hero faces have more detail than the Stunts as thats the opposite of what Ive found handling a number of original helmets. The stunts are notibly more sharper although this is partly the way the HDPE cuts back on itself in certain places like the tears (which are almost "pinched" on the HDPE Stunts) and under the eyes.

Also the stripes on the original ANH Stormtrooper helmets (certianly all the Stunts Ive come across) didnt have decals but had were painted using some kind of silk screen mask. However the ESB and RotJ DID use decals.

If you're looking for reference material may I suggest a certain "Star Wars Helmets.com"

Cheers

Jez
Hi Jez!

Thanks for your information. As you probably know, in our research we have obtained a lot of conflicting information and a lot of assumptions! I have read starwarshelmets.com and know what was posted there, thanks!

Our assumptions are based on my conversations with several people who know a lot of history in regards to the classic props. As I stated, we have one of the original khaki polyethylene pieces and you can see really deep depressions on the cheek area, which are gone from other pieces. A lot of detail that people see in the different helmets, if you look closely, they are for the most part, just differences in the painting. I think that they started to get lazy towards the end! For example the black stripes on the ear pieces, the black stripes in the frown, etc.

Anyway, we understand that this research is an ever evolving (and changing) process! We are doing our best to produce the most accurate helmet!

Once again, thanks for your input. It really helps us decipher all the information that we receive!

Reaction score
Chimera said:
jhyphen said:
Well, before he left MR to pursue other opportunities, Steve D. told me that....
Back the truck up....Steve D isn't with MR anymore?? How did I miss this? I remember all the stuff that went down before Xmas, but I thought he was coming back?
I figured he left after the 'incident' last fall....things were changing anyway...but that is when things really took a nosedive!
He's not the only to ...'leave'.
Oh well!

G

MRSWBryan said:
darth_fetty said:
Hello Bryan,
So are you saying the Stormtrooper helmet EE is the EE for this year? I was surprised to hear it is a helmet and not a lightsaber or gun.
btw, I like the idea of the blinking lights on the Fett helmet.
Did I say that????
Ugh!!!
I guess you didn't. But you will tell us as soon as you find out what the next EE is, right?

Reaction score
OK, here is the information that many of you have been waiting for. There were approximately 150 Special Ops helmets made with the painted stripes before it was changed to the transfer decal.

Also, ALL of the Clone Trooper helmets are transfer decals, since these were made after the Special Ops helmets. . .

Thanks for you patience in getting this answer!

Reaction score
Are we going to see a Scout Trooper blaster pistol anytime soon? I noticed that this item made the top 3 list of most prop collectors just about a month ago. A CE edition would be cool, for around... say $50? It would only have a single zoom scope. The LE should have a working, illuminated, blinking-lights multiple zoom scope, and removeable cartridge! Maybe around $100? That would sell really well, IMO. Maybe a version that fires BB's? Lol

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. At this time the Scout Blaster is not on the product plan.

Also, since we are collectible licensee, we are limited at the price points we can offer products. We cannot conflict with Hasbro!

Reaction score
Is there any plans for a Vader ROTJ SE (hopefully with JEJ and as a secondary request David Prowse.)

Reaction score
MRSWBryan said:
OK, here is the information that many of you have been waiting for. There were approximately 150 Special Ops helmets made with the painted stripes before it was changed to the transfer decal.

Also, ALL of the Clone Trooper helmets are transfer decals, since these were made after the Special Ops helmets. . .

Thanks, Bryan.

Reaction score
MRSWBryan said:
Hi Jez!

Thanks for your information. As you probably know, in our research we have obtained a lot of conflicting information and a lot of assumptions! I have read starwarshelmets.com and know what was posted there, thanks!

Our assumptions are based on my conversations with several people who know a lot of history in regards to the classic props. As I stated, we have one of the original khaki polyethylene pieces and you can see really deep depressions on the cheek area, which are gone from other pieces. A lot of detail that people see in the different helmets, if you look closely, they are for the most part, just differences in the painting. I think that they started to get lazy towards the end! For example the black stripes on the ear pieces, the black stripes in the frown, etc.

Anyway, we understand that this research is an ever evolving (and changing) process! We are doing our best to produce the most accurate helmet!

Once again, thanks for your input. It really helps us decipher all the information that we receive!
Thanks for the response Bryan, although I'm a bit confused, but you're right it IS a minefield!

Looking at what you've said (based on you having a khaki polyethylene/HDPE, i.e. Stunt), you're correct that they are sharper and have extra detail (such as the oval's in the cheek trapezoids) thats not there in the ABS Hero helmets. If anything thats something that backs up the fact that the Hero's came after the Stunts as it looks like the face was cleaned up a bit between helmet styles. I also reconciled this information on my site at the time with Andrew Ainsworth and John Mollo (and seem to remember one of Mollo's Diaries mentioning a date on the hero's long after the Stunts)

I'm sure you know that the LFL archives have a Hero stormtrooper and I believe a TIE so you should be able to see the differences with what you've already got quite easily.

Cheers

Jez

Reaction score
MRSWBryan said:

Hey ... how does this apply to the Shock Trooper helmet? It's the only one I have actually and I'm not that concerned as I think the one I have is FANTASIC ... just being curious

Reaction score
Hello Bryan,

is I (We)´ve askead yesterday for the Vader Reveal Helmet, could you suggest that to the production plan.
I would have ordered the Vader ROTS helmet for my Vader mannequin but as the "rumor" about the reveal Helmet appeared soon after the beginning ROTS orders, I stopped to order that and I am waiting for a conformation since.
After many photos of your ROTS helmet, i´ve seen, I have to say that I dont´like the gray look when it´s spotted (although i know it´s only flaslight), but the main thing that I dont like is the design of the helmet under the dome. I really love the design of the ´45 scale helmet (made by Riddell) which is shown at ROTJ. It´s much more detailed and it has the most important screen accurate neck piece and the breathing device. As there is a ´45 scale reveal helmet available for reference, wouldn´t it be easy to make it full size???
That would fit perfectly on my Vader manequin ( just have to modify the head
! )
So, pleeaaasssseeeee do us all a favour and put that on the production plan as soon as possible !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and other , for me very important, suggestion, that definetly would order even if it´s above 899$:

1. SS Star Destroyer (most important)
2. SS Death Star
3. SS Tie Interceptor, or Tie Fighter
4. Helmet Rebel Pilot
5. Helmet Tie Fighter Pilot
6. Helmet Clonerooper AOTC (If you haven´t already made them)
7. LE lightsaber Mace Windu TPM or another council saber

Please, I don´t want to wait until these are on the production plan beyond 2012.
They are important replicas everyone (I hope) wants to have in their collection before we have a grey hairs

Best wishes from germany

By the way, what type of Boba Fett helmet did we see on the ToyFair pictures, CE or LE prototype?

Reaction score
Jedi_Hendrik said:
Hello Bryan,

is I (We)´ve askead yesterday for the Vader Reveal Helmet, could you suggest that to the production plan.
I would have ordered the Vader ROTS helmet for my Vader mannequin but as the "rumor" about the reveal Helmet appeared soon after the beginning ROTS orders, I stopped to order that and I am waiting for a conformation since.
This is why you should never make a Vader reveal...without it you can get more sales of the Vader ROTS

Reaction score
MRSWBryan said:

That's interesting to know. Now I'm curious whether the one I won on eBay (shipped last Friday) will be a painted one or decaled one. It is plaque #93, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was one of the first 150 helmets. I'm sure hoping it was though.

Reaction score
MRSWBryan said:
Thanks for the suggestion. At this time the Scout Blaster is not on the product plan.

Also, since we are collectible licensee, we are limited at the price points we can offer products. We cannot conflict with Hasbro!

When did Hasbro over anything in the $50 that was newer and worthwhile. The Gunship almost counts but $5 more for every repaint..c'mon

The mini sabers for $30ish shouldn't compete the Electronic sabers that are $20 or so.

just my $.02

Reaction score
Bryan, in reference to the new helmets on the horizon, the Stormtrooper LE and the Boba Fett LE are we looking at the same or near the same pricepoint as the Clone helmets or will the pricing for these vary dependant on design? I only asked because the Fiberglass Stormtrooper one so far labeled "EE" should range about the same price as its Fiberglass Clone brother shouldn't it? Thanks.

Reaction score
Gytheran said:
Kenwood said:
I'd really love to see MR make a full-size "Han Solo in Carbonite"
To go next to my SS Falcon.

/drool
I think these will be about $3500 to 4K. Even $5K with the electronic panels (drooling)

If so that will be a super limited edition (like 250).
I don't see a lot of people paying that much for Han. Some don't want to pay $2K for an Illusive concept piece.

Reaction score
Jedi_Mike said:
the Fiberglass Stormtrooper one so far labeled "EE" should range about the same price as its Fiberglass Clone brother shouldn't it? Thanks.
Along this same logic, the LE helmet should cost LESS than the Fiberglass Clone Helmets if it is made of plastic, shouldn't it?

Reaction score
Hedjii72 said:
Along this same logic, the LE helmet should cost LESS than the Fiberglass Clone Helmets if it is made of plastic, shouldn't it?
You would think! But again, that sort of thing seems to only happen in other realities.

Reaction score
I'm hoping for our sake and theirs they price conservatively. This is one replica that's been made by fans and other artisans for a LONG time. When you think about it, this helmet is pretty late in the game. As such, there are many other good looking trooper helmets and kits to be had for reasonable prices.