As It Turns Out, It's Not an Ice Cream Maker...

Reaction score
MY LIFE IS A LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well but seriously, in universe I guess you can call it a safe, but the name Ice Cream Maker Guy still fits as in REALITY it clearly is an actual ice cream maker.

Reaction score
Eh, I prefer the action figure's explanation of it being a computer hard disc containing vital information for the rebels. As many comments in that link have pointed out, a portable safe is not the best thing to keep your valuables.

And I kinda hate that they named this new safe thing after a real-world viral video which had zero connection to SW. What, they're gonna include real-world meme references in SW now? Next, we'll get a Stormtrooper in Ep9 rushing into battle while shouting his name Li-Roi Djan'kingzz.

Reaction score
Eh, I prefer the action figure's explanation of it being a computer hard disc containing vital information for the rebels. As many comments in that link have pointed out, a portable safe is not the best thing to keep your valuables.

And I kinda hate that they named this new safe thing after a real-world viral video which had zero connection to SW. What, they're gonna include real-world meme references in SW now? Next, we'll get a Stormtrooper in Ep9 rushing into battle while shouting his name Li-Roi Djan'kingzz.

"God damn it Li-Roi"

"Least I got Porg!" - Li-Roi Djan'kingzz

Reaction score
I wouldn't use Gizmodo as a fact check. Irvin Kershner told me personally it was an Ice cream maker. That ends it.

Reaction score
It does beg the question of why an Ice cream maker though, was it because of all the filming in Norway made him think of "cold" things? lol
I mean it was the late 70's early 80's so all sorts of cool looking new fangled items must have been far more interesting in appearance compared to the previous decade. Or was it as simple as someone had it laying around in the back of their car and though "oh, I'll just use this instead of going to Ikea".

Reaction score
Scenes we look at now over and over again were never meant to be examined to the great extent they are. I think it was just this simple, give the guy something to carry as he runs away in the corridor crowd scene, A little inside joke added for fun at best. People have taken the smallest of nothings in the OT films and made them into events that in actuality were meant for nothing more than simple background fodder... 🤖

Reaction score
Scenes we look at now over and over again were never meant to be examined to the great extent they are. I think it was just this simple, give the guy something to carry as he runs away in the corridor crowd scene, A little inside joke added for fun at best. People have taken the smallest of nothings in the OT films and made them into events that in actuality were meant for nothing more than simple background fodder... 🤖

Yeah, when the original trilogy was made, home video was in its infancy. There was probably never the thought in the filmmakers' minds that each frame would be analyzed and scrutinized. They just wanted to create an interesting and lived-in universe.

Reaction score
I always understood it as the prop was made from an ice cream maker not that the item in universe was an ice cream maker. That would be kind of dumb. Also, we can see that the ESB prop is open on top and empty while the Mando one is not. Why wood Willrow be escaping with an empty safe? They retconed the thing, but didn't do a very good job of it IMHO.

Reaction score
I always understood it as the prop was made from an ice cream maker not that the item in universe was an ice cream maker.

Yes, it wasn't meant to be an ice cream maker in universe. The prop appears to be repurposed from an ice cream maker.

Reaction score
I mean i guess it could be retconned due to the nature of teh scene, it's a time when people are fleeing Bespin due to the Empire's occupation, so one could assume that Willrow was simply leaving with his valuables in said container/"safe". Problem is like mention his is hollow unlike the Cantomo.

In universe who knows what he was carrying, at best maybe a Family heirloom or a simple piece of equipment needed to power his ship.

Reaction score
We all know they did not have Ice cream in a galaxy far far away...but they did have a cold substance made from 2 cups heavy Bantha cream,1 cup blue whole milk, ⅔ cup of Sweet Sweet Tatooine sugar, 1 teaspoon of fine dune sea salt and 6 large Dewback egg yolks. Add your favorite Space flavoring and you have a special space treat. With the Most famous cold treat space vendor in any Galaxy being the one on Bespin called " Bespin's 32 Flavors of carbonite cold treats"...... 🤖

Last edited:
Reaction score
I like what they did with it! I think it’s a neat homage.

Reaction score
Yes indeed! In fact, remember that scene in ESB when Yoda says “anger, fear, aggression—more easily they flow; if you open that camtono, you will learn that wars do not make one great…”?

Reaction score
That sweet tooth was no joke. I guess they didn't have time to go their in Jedi but I read somewhere it was a super sweet large Candy cane type item that eventually caused a bowel obstruction in Yoda. That was the real cause of his death.. Yoda's actual last words were " Sweet it was... yeah". " Mind what you eat, Kill you it can!" Although what they did in the movie was probably the better way to go... 🤖

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does anyone recall them returning to Bespin/Cloud City in one of the novels? This would be one published 1996 or earlier. I have a memory of it but not sure it's correct.

Reaction score
Yes! I’m pretty sure they meet up in Before the Storm, the first of the Black Fleet Crisis books. I would have to double check. But I seem to remember something like that. I have the book somewhere in storage and will try to find it!