Articulated Icons

Reaction score
Pardon me if there is already a thread for these, but I couldn't find one to save my life. Anyway, just wondering if anyone collects the Articulated Icons figures that TheFwoosh sells? They are running a 50% off sale right now for in stock items, so I ordered one of their Ninja figures (basic grey). Super excited to get it, as I have been a Ninja junkie pretty much forever. Just wondering how the figures are? I mean, they look great, but any issues I should watch out for?

Reaction score
They're decent in articulation and quality, though the wrists and other joints can be a little loose. They have good accessories and offer some nice options for the head and hands. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with them. They run right at 6" so they tend to be a little small if you wanted to scale them with Marvel Legends. However, I think they scale decently with GI Joes. Storm Shadow in particular comes to about 6.25". So, SS is still a little tall, but that's not a bad thing IMO if you want to use the AI figures as henchmen.

I have picked up a few here and there when they go on sale. I wish I knew about them earlier when they first started to sell them. I would like to get a black suited and white suited deluxe ninja, but they seem to be sold out. And they haven't ever reissued them since I started paying attention to them. I have a grey, a couple of brown, and a Ronin Samurai. I was able to order a couple of crimson ones, recently, since they went down to $20. I feel they're a sufficient alternative to the straight red ninja which is also sold out and hasn't ever been re-issued. It's good to check on the site from time to time as they seem to have sales throughout the year. I definitely don't think they are worth $40, but $20 seems like a fair price.

I still prefer to use Articulated Icons Ninjas as my stand in henchman for Storm Shadow as opposed to the recent Marvel Legends Hand Ninja which has been out in stores these days. The Hand Ninja is a decent figure, but is on the tall side for a Marvel Legends at about 6.5" and he really towers over everyone else. One other drawback is that the Hand Ninja's hood is not removable which is a super bummer.

Also, I prefer the cleaner look of the AI figures over the GI Joe Red Ninja. But, I do like the GI Joe Red Ninja too, just not as backup for SS.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just got my first one and was mystified that I couldn't find a thread.

I also got gray but dyed him black since that's what I really wanted. I painted the heads so I wouldn't have to redo the eyes.

It's a very cool figure, the only downsides are no butterfly joints, hands pop off easy and the long sword is ridiculously long (almost as tall as the figure itself) but totally worth $20.

I ended up ordering a second gray one to keep stock.

I wouldn't mind picking up a white one someday to make an Assassin's Creed ninja. The temple guardian samurai looks great too, but not at $40

Reaction score
Nope, super easy! I dissassembled the whole thing and just mixed in a little water, brought it to a light boil and let it soak for about 35 mins. I grabbed the arms and legs and worked the joints every ten minutes to get good coverage on the hidden parts. I gave it a good rinse after to get any excess dye off. Apparently you need to get Rit Dye More for synthetics instead of the regular RIT but they have it pretty much everywhere except Target.

Surprisingly, the hard plastic of the figure took the dye way better than the soft rubbery material of the hoods. I had to just paint them like I did the heads.

Reaction score
Looks cool in black. I can't figure out why Articulated Icons doesn't do another run of black, white, and red ninjas. I think they are leaving money on the table as there are probably people that came late to the game that would like to buy them.

Reaction score
Yeah, while it's cool that they offer a lot of different colors, black, white, and red are the iconic Ninja colors. You'd think they would always want to have them in stock. :unsure: They do have the "Crimson Fury" version in stock and 50% off right now, but it is $10 more for some reason. It's the same figure, with the same accessories, and is red with a black wash.

Anyway, mine will be here Saturday and I am really looking forward to it. I may actually consider dyeing mine as well. We'll see how I like the gray in hand.

Reaction score
So is anyone else bothered by how long the one sword is? It's practically the height of the figure!

As you can see in the pic, I've ditched the longer sword on both my ninjas. I've got a replacement katana and wakizashi coming from Marauder, we'll see how those look...

Reaction score
Just got mine today and I love it! Really cool figure. I see what you guys mean about the hands, the wrists on mine are a little bit loose. I haven't swapped out any of the hands yet. I agree about the katana being a little too long. Typically Ninja don't use them though, they have their own version, the shorter, straight bladed Ninja-To:

1614406212679.png

Anyway, I still dig the figure:

20210226_235648_resized (2).jpg

Reaction score
Ooh, you've hit a nerve with me! Ninjato most likely didn't exist and are a modern fabrication. From Wikipedia: Historically, there is no physical evidence for the existence of this "katana-like short sword legendarily used by ninja" before the 20th century,[9] though it is believed that the designs demonstrated by alleged replicas are based on the design of wakizashi or chokutō swords...

Plus, without the curve it would cut like crap!

I don't even think the swords you get with these are katana... they are actually closer to the pre-katana sword style called tachi, the main difference being length and curvature. Though this is all pretty esoteric and can get confusing since many tachi were later refashioned into katana.

Here's the Marauder katana I ordered... they have a proper wakizashi, too! I just hope they fit in the little scabbed loops you get with the ninja.

Marauder Katana

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, I meant "fictional movie Ninja" use them. TBH, everything I have ever read or seen seems to indicate that the Ninja we see in movies are pretty much made up. Not that Ninja weren't real, they just weren't like in the movies.

I really dig those ones that Marauder has! Thanks for posting the link. just ordered one of each!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, I figured we were kind of talking a case of historic vs. popular. And I mean, I'll probably end up grabbing the ninjato from the ML Hand ninja and seeing how I feel about it in these guys hands...

Reaction score
Well, I meant "fictional movie Ninja" use them. TBH, everything I have ever read or seen seems to indicate that the Ninja we see in movies are pretty much made up. Not that Ninja weren't real, they just weren't like in the movies.

I really dig those ones that Marauder has! Thanks for posting the link. just ordered one of each!
You mean Joe fron the movie American Ninja isn't accurate?!! 😂

Reaction score
I kinda want a white ninja but I'm not sure I'm really into these figures at full price and it probably won't last long enough to go on sale...
I'm kind of in the same boat. $40 is a bit steep for 1 figure. I'm going to roll the dice and see if they go on sale. If I miss out, so be it.

Reaction score
I justified it by telling myself I'm getting my tax refund and stimulus soon so I might as well treat myself... I suck at anything requiring willpower!

Reaction score
I got mine yesterday! I like them a lot better than the stock ones. It's a tough fit getting the scabbards in that little double loop holder thing, though.

I kinda wish I had ordered more!

Reaction score
I found a Seijun samurai at a local toy shop for only $30 today! The only catch is it had apparently been opened and was missing a bunch of accessories... I'm gonna keep him though, there's enough there to give him a decent classic look and it's not like you can even buy this figure anymore.

Reaction score
Great find! I didn't know these were sold outside of their web site. If I were to get one of the Samurai, that would probably be the one I picked.

Got my Marauder order today and I really like these swords a lot better than the AI ones! A lot more detail and a lot better scale. It's a shame the scabbards don't fit all that well (and the swords don't work with the AI scabbards) but I did find a way to kind of make them work, by putting them on upside down. Since there is a hole at both ends, it sort works, though the swords don't slide all the way in.

20210319_180335_resized (2).jpg

20210319_180743_resized (2).jpg

20210319_181125_resized (2).jpg

20210319_181145_resized (2).jpg

Haven't ordered from Marauder in a long while, I forgot that they always throw in a free gift! Got one of these:

20210319_180340_resized (2).jpg