Art Collectibles Limelighting thread

Reaction score
wow.. lot of great stuff here...

i have a question for you guys..

i have never buy star wars art at this time... but right now 2 art interrested me alot.. walker invasion and used the force...

my questions is.. what is the best way quality price to have it... buy it giclee on canvas ( bigger but lot of money) or giclee on paper and after that framed it??

i really don't kow wich version buy it and after that having regrets...

thanks for your help and sorry for my english
For the two pieces you mentioned, I think you will be happier with the canvas versions. The price for those paper editions are too high compared to the image size. Just as well, if the paper sized editions need custom framing you will easily add $100 plus for framing.

For the canvas editions go with the gallery wrap option if you want to save money with framing. Also, to save, Acme usually has a sale twice a year. The next one should be coming up near the holidays at year's end.

But it really comes down to how much you want to spend. It's the image that counts. Acme takes returns on non-framed items. You might just want to order and see the difference for yourself. The paper versions are high quality. The canvas versions are superb.

Reaction score
Lots of people will tell you canvas is the best way to go but that all really depends on your budget. Paper allows you to easily store the art if you want to switch it out with another peice to change the look of yur room from time to time. Also quality of canvas vs paper is in the eye of the beholder, some of the canvases have a very glossy finish on them. Best bet is try to look at each yourself at a show if you can get to one, or ask the artist themself. I've done that a few times and the artist reccommended the parper over the canvas.

Reaction score
Gotta go with xopolos, I went canvas and I won't go back. I find it difficult to buy pieces I can get in a canvas version. I ended up getting a few paper pieces and I always end up letting them go.

Reaction score
wow.. lot of great stuff here...

i have a question for you guys..

i have never buy star wars art at this time... but right now 2 art interrested me alot.. walker invasion and used the force...

my questions is.. what is the best way quality price to have it... buy it giclee on canvas ( bigger but lot of money) or giclee on paper and after that framed it??

i really don't kow wich version buy it and after that having regrets...

thanks for your help and sorry for my english
One word. Canvas.
Many like the beek man like canvas. I have not gone that route, but it may work for you.

Only you really know.

Reaction score
Remember, you get what you pay for, paper can bend and get warped but once you frame canvas you don't have that issue and the colors are bolder on canvas

Reaction score
I've gone with canvas in the past. Not because of any aesthetic reason but purely because it's more expensive and therefor of better quality (That's how my mind works). I'd imagine that Canvas would be more durable over time.

Reaction score
Very nice framing Herb! I like how the frame ties in w/the blaster and the mats tie w/Boba's colors. It's a sweet print too!

Reaction score
Yes, that looks great Herb. One of the better looking frame jobs with spot on color choices.

Reaction score
That ****ing rules Ben. In my mind, I always pictured the Han above Chewie...but that is just me. :)

Still need to move on these two pieces, but I've got other collectible priorities at the moment.

Reaction score
Thanks Brandon!
I put the Han at eye level and Chewie up near the ceiling because I like the Han more. I feel Wahl did a slightly better job getting the feeling of a blizzard in his follow up effort. And I like the addition of the Probe. And Ford's likeness is just amazing.

Reaction score
I love the Han and Chewy but it looks like you ran out of wall space.... It looks like they are competing for room. I've ran out of room for art on my walls :(

Reaction score
The next house we buy will be partially based on it having a room large enough for all of our Star Wars art. lol. Hopefully we will find a place with a massive space...

Reaction score
I love the Han and Chewy but it looks like you ran out of wall space.... It looks like they are competing for room. I've ran out of room for art on my walls :(
You're right. It is cramped. I have an idea which will make a little more space for the pair. Thanks. :)
To be continued...

Reaction score
Those that use americanframe.com, I'm trying to decide what acrylic to use. I already have several other pieces framed using just regular glass. If I use non-glare, will it look like the oddball when placed next to the other ones with glass? Also I'm worried about the non-glare being somewhat cloudy to see the image, does that happen? I plan on using a double mat if that matters at all.

Reaction score
Those that use americanframe.com, I'm trying to decide what acrylic to use. I already have several other pieces framed using just regular glass. If I use non-glare, will it look like the oddball when placed next to the other ones with glass? Also I'm worried about the non-glare being somewhat cloudy to see the image, does that happen? I plan on using a double mat if that matters at all.
The pic below is using non-glare acrylic as is all my other art and I can't tell a difference. I think you will be satisfied and be saving some $$ as well.

Reaction score
So, looking at the two pics...Ben, how did you free up the space? Moved the bottom shelf.

BTW - looks much better now.

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

So, looking at the two pics...Ben, how did you free up the space? Moved the bottom shelf.

BTW - looks much better now.
Glad you asked Brandon...this was a bit of a (bottom up) job. My MR AT-AT was near the floor, sitting on four MR presentation boxes.

I got rid of the presentation boxes so the AT-AT is now on the floor (which doesn't look too bad due to its huge size). Then the Wampa/TaunTaun shelf could come down 5". That's all the room I needed to "free up" the two canvas prints.

Thanks again ddoughboy for pointing out this display shortcoming...I knew it wasn't quite right but I needed a subtle kick in the pants to fix things up. :)

Reaction score
anytime :) Just looking out for a fellow scummer! It does look a million times better and it has a "clean" look to it as well

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I've been making my own frames for all of the prints and posters I have and this is the first one I made. The print I bought about 20 years ago on a class trip to Washington DC. An artist who did caricatures had it for sale so I snagged it for 10 bucks. The frame is about 22x18(I can't remember exactly). I have so many things to frame that I decided to make my own to save $$ plus it is a lot of fun. I used pieces of poplar and simple molding and trim pieces and used a satin black paint. I also cut my own mattes(first time as well) and I am pleased with the results. I bought UV plexiglass but I may look for a new piece which is more suitable for framing as it has a somewhat cloudy appearance when viewed from an angle. For a first attempt tho I am happyB)

Last edited:
Reaction score
nice job man.
ive been reading up slowly on how to do my own framing from a book i got on amazon.
hoping to start getting a few of my pieces done by myself soon, as there arent really
a lot of good framing options where i live that arent horribly over-priced.

Reaction score
nice job man.
ive been reading up slowly on how to do my own framing from a book i got on amazon.
hoping to start getting a few of my pieces done by myself soon, as there arent really
a lot of good framing options where i live that arent horribly over-priced.
That's good to hear! I'd like to get into this as well. The various framers I use are good but SOOO expensive. I think there has to be a way to get what I want and save the cost.

Reaction score
Reaction score
I must have unsubscribed to this thread. Thanks for helping Quietstorm out with the info.

Reaction score
Just realized that IKEA isn't offering my frames anymore. Pretty disappointing since I used them already for several prints/autographs and wanted to keep it consistent.

Reaction score
Picked her up from the framer's today! Awesome work from Randy!