Art Collectibles Limelighting thread

Reaction score
...Rothko's originals are mammoths...
The famous ones that go for millions are, yes. But not all. Sorry this is off topic and has nothing to do with Star Wars but perhaps some here who are interested in art will find this story interesting.
When Mr Rothkowitz, the name he originally went by, was a young struggling artist, he needed a place to stay. My grandfather's family took him in. Rothko couldn't always come up with cash for rent, so sometimes paid my grandfather's family in artwork. My grandfather kept these pieces and a few of them were passed down to me. I actually own three very early original charcoal Rothkos. About a year ago I had a research associate from the National Gallery of Art come to my house with a professional photographer to take shots of these charcoals for inclusion in an upcoming Mark Rothko catalogue raisonné. Here are some pics I took of them myself. As you see, a far cry from the monstrous, abstract, color blocks he became known for later in his career.

They have been given the titles: Harlem Street from Morningside Heights, Old Elevated Arch, 125th Street, and Central Park Scene
I've since taken the drawings out of the ancient frames (which were probably speeding up the yellowing of the artwork) and put them in archival paper folders. I don't think these will fetch big bucks when I eventually sell but they are an interesting piece of art history.

Reaction score
The famous ones that go for millions are, yes. But not all. Sorry this is off topic and has nothing to do with Star Wars but perhaps some here who are interested in art will find this story interesting.
When Mr Rothkowitz, the name he originally went by, was a young struggling artist, he needed a place to stay. My grandfather's family took him in. Rothko couldn't always come up with cash for rent, so sometimes paid my grandfather's family in artwork. My grandfather kept these pieces and a few of them were passed down to me. I actually own three very early original charcoal Rothkos. About a year ago I had a research associate from the National Gallery of Art come to my house with a professional photographer to take shots of these charcoals for inclusion in an upcoming Mark Rothko catalogue raisonné. Here are some pics I took of them myself. As you see, a far cry from the monstrous, abstract, color blocks he became known for later in his career.

They have been given the titles: Harlem Street from Morningside Heights, Old Elevated Arch, 125th Street, and Central Park Scene
I've since taken the drawings out of the ancient frames (which were probably speeding up the yellowing of the artwork) and put them in archival paper folders. I don't think these will fetch big bucks when I eventually sell but they are an interesting piece of art history.
what a lovely thing to have passed down to you!

Reaction score
That's awesome catch! I have a couple questions for you if you don't mind as I'm looking to have my Vanderstelt C3 and C5 prints framed soon:

1) Did you frame it yourself or have it done at a shop?

2) Did you let it flatten before you framed it or was it rolled up?

3) How large is the mat on each side?

4) Are there two mats or just one?

Reaction score
That's awesome catch! I have a couple questions for you if you don't mind as I'm looking to have my Vanderstelt C3 and C5 prints framed soon:

1) Did you frame it yourself or have it done at a shop? It was a shop

2) Did you let it flatten before you framed it or was it rolled up? It is a complete new print from Jerry,because i get a damaged one,so it was rolled up,and two weeks later it was framed.

3) How large is the mat on each side? Near 6cm (the complete frame is 71cm x 91cm)

4) Are there two mats or just one?It is one black mat,with a white edge
Thanks Zodach!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looking good catch! I never tire of that CV print. Well, I guess I never tire of Jerry's work in general.

Reaction score
I have several Vanderstelt's, this one was the first to get framed and I absolutely love it!

Reaction score
It's a remarque that he did, but it was not by request. His AP's do not usually have remarques on them, they're just signed and numbered. This was one he had as a one-off that he put up for auction on eBay last year. On occasion he will offer these types of prints, but they are pretty rare as far as I know.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow! Those are fantastic sketches (and amazing provenance). I think that they will do quite well at auction.

Reaction score
This is our Star Wars Office. =D I apologize if the pictures are ginormous. The cabinet's are completely filled yet (properly) And we are saving room over our TV/Monitors for new Christian Waggoner pieces.

And another angle (And yes, I know the Boba is a knock off, but we received it from a friend)

WARNING! Due to this artwork extravaganza, sitting on this sofa may cause severe neck trauma.
:grin:

Reaction score
My first attempt at trying my hand at cutting mats. Came out ok, but not great. May have to buy more mats and try again.

Reaction score
doesn't look that bad, I do my matting myself. It takes a lot of screwing up until it starts looking really good, just keep at it!

Reaction score
Question on how ligt affects paper prints. Does UV light make the paper prints fade like it does with other art? SHould I be getting UV protected glass?

Reaction score
What if its sometimes sunlight? I have a sliding glass door in my man cave but it has blinds that are shut 99% of the time.

Reaction score
Absolutely go with UV. That 1% of the time will cause your print to fade in years to come. Besides, adding UV to the cost is usually pretty minor when compared to the overall cost of framing.

Reaction score
Problem is I like to fram myself. The UV glass is expensive. I usually opt not to pay to frame because I swap my art out on a regular basis, the framing places wrap up the frame back so I cant really swap out the art.

Reaction score
Do the UV like I said.

I personally don't because all of my art is in my man cave in the basement. :)

Reaction score
I almost exclusively do "canvas" gallery wrapped pieces in my collection, but for the few paper prints I frame - I ALWAYS go UV protected acrylic in front. I am in a basement as well, but peace of mind ya know?

Reaction score
Christopher Lee prints with red, blue and green mattes

Last edited:
Reaction score
wow.. lot of great stuff here...

i have a question for you guys..

i have never buy star wars art at this time... but right now 2 art interrested me alot.. walker invasion and used the force...

my questions is.. what is the best way quality price to have it... buy it giclee on canvas ( bigger but lot of money) or giclee on paper and after that framed it??

i really don't kow wich version buy it and after that having regrets...

thanks for your help and sorry for my english