Ark of the Covenant Project

Philip_Wise

Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
Are you doing both the box, cherubs, and lid at the same time??

Also can you give us an idea of price??
Yes, at the same time. I'll let you guys know the cost when it's done as it is subject to how much work he has to do as well.

Reaction score
Someone asked me to post how I had my cherubs plated.
I used the company that did C3PO and the Indy golden idol, VMC.
We tried the standard chroming then spraying the lacquer on but it wasn't very consistent so after they were chromed they dipped them in gold lacquer.which gave a better colour and coverage. They added a bit of red to add richness.
All I'll say if you are either spray chroming or vacuum metalizing make sure the surface is perfect with no grease and polished with a very fine wet and dry. The chroming will only be as good as the surface it's applied to. We spent many hours sanding the primed cherubs and idols before the plating. With the spray chroming they will spray the surface with a gloss paint to apply the silver to. I've seen it using Black and white. Black makes it easier to see the chroming happen as the activator is applied.
We had many seconds on the vacuum metalizing process and lots had to be redone. I'd say only 1 in 10 were ever perfect. Hence the costs involved in making them.

Good luck!

oh and one more thing. 2pak primer is definitely the way to go as it bonds with the resin surface sealing the casts.

Reaction score
I have a pair of sskunky's finished cherubs. Do you guys think a Cosmichrome'd ark will match in color and finish so as not to be noticeable matched to his cherubs? If not what are my options?

BTW, Mark. Thank you for all your hard work on the fantastic cherubs. We have them displayed in our dining room, and they never fail to get compliments from guests. I'm always impressed that at every dinner party there's always one person who immediately recognizes what the cherubs are. It seems everyone loves Raiders.

Reaction score
I have a pair of sskunky's finished cherubs. Do you guys think a Cosmichrome'd ark will match in color and finish so as not to be noticeable matched to his cherubs? If not what are my options?

BTW, Mark. Thank you for all your hard work on the fantastic cherubs. We have them displayed in our dining room, and they never fail to get compliments from guests. I'm always impressed that at every dinner party there's always one person who immediately recognizes what the cherubs are. It seems everyone loves Raiders.

I am gonna guess no. That was my concern when I had planned to get Sskunky's finished Cherubs as I just loved the Gold finish on those and the Idol.

I am guessing you could easily sell those finished ones and get a primered pair for the Ark.

Reaction score
I have been updating the notification thread at RPF as well. Still don't know why they closed our old one.

Anyway I know a lot on members there have been checking it out here as well.

Reaction score
I have been following this since it started - bravo, Phil and the gang! Looking forward to the kit!

Philip_Wise

Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
Designing and building the shipping crate turned out to be quite a project as well. My shop neighbor Richard, on whose lathe we turned the leg master, built it for me to save time and we assembled it today.

With the insane storm headed to the northeast, and this heading to Pennsylvania, I'm going to wait a couple days before shipping it.

Reaction score
Box looks bullet-proof! So glad you decided on chrome process over paint. Before return delivery, make sure they send photos proving that all deep crevices are coated sufficiently with the yellow/amber-tinted clear coat, especially angel faces, between angel legs, angel dress folds, angel wings undersides, crevices between all lid leaves, lid leaves underside, corner leg turnings, and side reliefs. Cannot wait to see it finished!

Last edited:

Philip_Wise

Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
Report from Coat of Chrome is the crate arrived safe and sound, not even a mark on it. He's opening it today.

A bit of info on shipping this. The crate was 48 x 32 x 38 tall and we estimated it was 175#.

I have a freight account with Fedex and the cost for Fort Worth to PA was $659, which was ridiculous.

I went to uship.com and got a set of quotes. I picked the 4th cheapest and it was $200, with $5000 in insurance (same as Fedex services).

It was actually much easier to ship with them than Fedex, and couldn't have worked better.

Reaction score
Report from Coat of Chrome is the crate arrived safe and sound, not even a mark on it. He's opening it today.

A bit of info on shipping this. The crate was 48 x 32 x 38 tall and we estimated it was 175#.

I have a freight account with Fedex and the cost for Fort Worth to PA was $659, which was ridiculous.

I went to uship.com and got a set of quotes. I picked the 4th cheapest and it was $200, with $5000 in insurance (same as Fedex services).

It was actually much easier to ship with them than Fedex, and couldn't have worked better.

Their website says they are in Cleveland, Ohio. Did they move or do I have the wrong place??

Cosmichrome

Last edited:

Philip_Wise

Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
Philip, did they give you any idea when you would see progress photos?
Have only seen a couple prep photos showing an example of where the top rail cracked during shipping. Which showed me the way we glued the joints of the individual rail pieces together needed to be revised.

When we trimmed the parts that go together, we made them touch each other and then glued the joint and added bondo to smooth it out. It looks like in several cases that joint didn't end up being very strong, probably where not enough glue was used. So I asked Don to cut a space out where there were cracks and fill it back with Apoxie sculpting putty. Then file and sand to finish. I do have a worry that joints that didn't open up on the way to him may open up on the way back and have to be repaired as best we can here.

He also advised that the leg to box joint had to be caulked to prevent the metal application process from back washing from behind the leg and ruining the finish. I had worried about that joint but he says he could do a good job caulking it.

One other thing he noted is that though I had a lot of primer on the box, he was sanding through it in places and would have to primer and sand it out completely a couple times, which I know from my time with it takes a lot of time.

Reaction score
Gold Leaf Deux

Has anyone cosiderered gold leaf?
A 24k gold leaf finish on a reproduction such as this would make it historically (but not screen) accurate.

The other drawbacks are the cost (typically $30 to $50 per square foot) and the time required to apply the leafing. A rough estimate of the Ark's exposed surface area (excluding all interior surfaces and the cherubs) would be 38 square feet. The cost to cover this area would be $1,140 to $1,900 while the time to complete the task is dependent on one's skill and patience. Assuming a typical learning curve, I would estimate 40 to 50 hours to apply and polish the material with a soft cloth. One advantage that can not be underestimated is the ease with which the finish can be restored should any of the Ark's surfaces or trim elements be damaged and require repair.

I would love to see anyone's past efforts using this finish on a movie Ark replica or similarly detailed large item.

Reaction score
Have only seen a couple prep photos showing an example of where the top rail cracked during shipping. Which showed me the way we glued the joints of the individual rail pieces together needed to be revised.

When we trimmed the parts that go together, we made them touch each other and then glued the joint and added bondo to smooth it out. It looks like in several cases that joint didn't end up being very strong, probably where not enough glue was used. So I asked Don to cut a space out where there were cracks and fill it back with Apoxie sculpting putty. Then file and sand to finish. I do have a worry that joints that didn't open up on the way to him may open up on the way back and have to be repaired as best we can here.
Philip, we regularly use 3D printed components in mock-ups that help clients to visualize custom architectural features. Concerning the top rail's separation, we print small (1/8"h x 1/8"w x 3/16"d) tenon & mortise furniture joints to align and strengthen the connections between similar latticework molding parts.

Philip_Wise

Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
Philip, we regularly use 3D printed components in mock-ups that help clients to visualize custom architectural features. Concerning the top rail's separation, we print small (1/8"h x 1/8"w x 3/16"d) tenon & mortise furniture joints to align and strengthen the connections between similar latticework molding parts.
I use them all the time in furniture. Looking back, not pinning the joint was an oversight. Because it's really tricky to get all the parts to start and end where they need to on the lid, a loose tenon is probably more practical since we aren't planning to redo the prints or molds. It will be addressed in my build plans for sure. Thanks.

Reaction score
Wow and holy good goodness. I did not know you had done the poles as well.

Incredible work Phillip. Just incredible.

Can't think of bigger words but wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
o-o
Beyond my expectations Phil. Simply stunning.

The first time I've seen my cherubs on an Ark where they should be too.

What a triumph.

Reaction score
I posted a link to this page at RPF. Some happy people over there as well.

Reaction score
Thanks for posting images of the event! And concerning the Ark itself, Spectacular......Absolutely Spectacular!

Reaction score
I saw this in person last weekend and it's simply stunning. Congratulations to all the artists who brought this project to the finish line, it's more beautiful then you can imagine.

Philip was beaming at the unveil, it was very awesome to be there.

Reaction score
I just want to thank Phillip and his crew again for building something a lot of people thought could not be done.

Incredible work and as Skunky said it's nice to finally see his incredible Cherubs on top of an incredible Ark.

Last edited:

Philip_Wise

Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
So I assume it's safe to say you are happy with the finished results from these guys Phillip?

I assume so as it looks incredible.
I'll be posting about the whole process, from prep to shipping, etc. I am satisfied, but it's not perfect either. There are things I learned from this build that will help with future builds.

Reaction score
Still wow. Gone back a few times and looked it over. Just wow!!.