Are there any figures that you have a new appreciation for as an adult?

Reaction score
Are there any figures that you didn’t care for/want as a kid, but appreciate as an adult?

I never really cared for the Bespin Guards when I was little. I thought they were really boring. I even had a chance to buy them carded in college and passed. Since then, they have slowly grown on me. Now they are two of my favorites from the ESB line.

Reaction score
I gotta say Ewoks to this one. I didn't get the little murder bears as action figures when I was a kid, but I've gotten every one I can since. I like the diversity they have and I've grown to really embrace the weird in Star Wars.

Reaction score
Any of the POTF figures. I passed on these as a kid, and even as a young adult. The Playworld near me taped 4 carded figures to a threepio case. And tried selling them for $5. Nobody wanted them. I almost bit because a few had Luke Stormtrooper, Death Star Gunners and Amanamans. Always wanted a luke stormie but was buying NES games at that point...

Reaction score
I grew up with TMNT and Ghostbusters. My older cousins gave us their hand-me-down toys, and it that box there was a black figure with a chest plate which as a kid I always thought was a scuba diver. I remember thinking when I was 8 or 9 that it was quite an ugly figure as it was much smaller and less colorful than the Ninja Turtle toys I was used to. Much later did I come to learn to appreciate the entire vintage line.

I had heard of Star Wars during my childhood, but I had not seen Star Wars was until I was in middle school, my first time watching Star Wars trilogy was when the Special Edition films were released in the late 90s. I was lucky in that I didn't see it on home video but got to experience it for the first time on the big screen and only had to wait 2 years for the prequel trilogy. Anyway, my collection started shortly after in 1997.

For a specific figure, has to be the Ugnaught. Never knew or appreciated the character/race until The Mandalorian.

Reaction score
To be 100% honest, I'd say any Leia figure. In the time many of us grew up, there was a lot of male dominance and machismo in the societal air which didn't allow much in the way of boys liking the "girl toys". I think my folks only bought us a white cape Leia because my sister was also into the SW craze (as most kids in my generation were). So as a kid, for me it was all about being Luke or Han, or adversely, Vader, Fett, or Troopers.

As I grew up and out of the male chauvinism of the 70's and 80's (and also through puberty), girl stuff turned out to be pretty rad. LOL. Now I've got a better appreciation for how (and why) so many of those MOC Leia figs are still around and/or the mint loose ones that weren't really played with much, and why they survived.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I only had Leia in Boushh thanks to the male chauvinism and bigoted nature of my father - I now have nearly every female SW figure ever released, lol.

I think the figure that stands out the most is the Imperial Dignitary though - not something I would have picked up as a kid, but I adore it as an adult. I frankly wish they made more, so I'm hoping the Retro line makes another at some point!

Reaction score
This may seem like a strange answer, but for me it’s actually carded stuff!

I’ve ALWAYS been a total no-exceptions opener. For years, the only figure I kept on card was R2-KT, because the card is such a part of the story. I would open even the most expensive figures. And still do, regardless of what I get!

But although I myself open, I’ve really come to appreciate other people’s carded and boxed collections. I have a lot of fun studying everyone’s stuff! I now consider it an absolutely essential part of the hobby and the community!

Reaction score
As is common in this hobby, I was getting out of Star Wars when the POTF figures came out. The only one I got was the mail away Anakin.
Once out of curiosity I (very self consciously) went into the toy section and briefly glanced at the Star Wars section and saw Amamaman for the first time. I thought to myself “That’s not a Star Wars figure!” It was so big I didn’t think it fit with the series. Too bad I didn’t look at all of the figures or check out the card back because I would have totally wanted Luke in Stormtrooper Disguise and Imperial Gunner!
My Mom really liked Star Wars figures too and tried to convince me to get them all and even offered to get them for me so I wouldn’t have to be embarrassed about going into the toy section at my age which was 13 at the time. I so regret not taking her up on her thoughtful offer...
Anyway I now have full appreciation for Amanaman!

Reaction score
Cantina creatures, sand people and Jawa. Oddly enough I never had them as a kid. Wasn't interested in them. Now I love 'em.

Reaction score
Yes. As a teenager I just sorta unquestioningly accepted the common media attitude of "hourglass is best" but now I have an appreciation for pear.

Or did you mean ACTION figures? My mistake.

I really liked all the figures as a kid. I was into collecting the ESB and ANH stuff if/when I could even find it, particularly Leia and any Hoth stuff. But since then I appreciate the sculpting in the ROTJ and POTF stuff. I got ONE ESB carded figure as a kid and was fascinate by the carback. But I only care about ROTJ cards now because of nostalgia.

My older brother wanted robots more than aliens and didn't seem to care about troop builders or Leia costume variants, so, I guess I've always been more into the aliens, Leia, and rank & file troops as a result of their early scarcity in my house.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Going back to a conversation I had at a toy show 10 years ago... I had a new appreciation of female figures. More so now as the dioramas tend to be more of a boys club. Civilians (Themed or regular) anything that adds to a diorama especially if its something like Jabba's big goons that we likely won't get again.

Reaction score
For me it is the entire POTF line. I remember crystal clear the first time I saw them at retail.
I went into a JCPenny toy section (remember when they had an amazing toy section?) and saw these new weird 'POTF' figures on strange cards that didn't coincide with any SW movie. I was a tad OCD as a kid, so I didn't think they actually belonged with the SW, ESB, and ROTJ figs since there was no such thing as a POTF movie.
Furthermore, I didn't recognize or remember ever seeing Amanaman in a movie, foolishly thought EV-9D9 was simply a repainted 8D8, thought A-Wing Pilot was nothing more than a repainted B-Wing Pilot, and wondered why the heck it was only just now that a Luke Stormtrooper was being released, even though it looked so cool. I was puzzled by the Imperial Dignitary too and proceeded to put it back on the pegs, also thinking that the toys would just continue to be released year after year after year. It was all or nothing for me, so just buying the Luke or Gunner wouldn't have sufficed. If I had only known! I was also in that tween stage where Ratt tapes were becoming much more appealing than toys too, haha.
Thankfully I was eventually able track them all down (even Yak Face), sometimes getting a great deal, sometimes not.

Reaction score
Actually after a lot of thought, I will give the surprising answer being Boba Fett.

I get hes the most popular however, back then, he had a small role and wasnt exactly the easiest figure to find. We didn't get him in a mailer either. We only got toys at Christmas so a popular choice figure wouldn't stay on the shelves long enough for my mother to afford and find one. To be honest, I dont even remember asking for one, nor did I have the attraction to him.

The other reason is , I didn't get to watch ESB or ROTJ until 1985 when it was broadcast on TV. By then i was 13 and my toy playing days were pretty much at an end

So, I guess we can say, it was the perfect storm for Boba to slip through the cracks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bossk - I had this figure as a kid and hated it. I thought he was way too ugly and it seemed that Kenner didn't even try to match the paint on his arms and feet to the color of his head. To make matters worse, Bossk was my only figure and my brother's sole figure at the time was Boba Fett. Between the two, Fett seemed like the much more fun toy and I was incredibly jealous. It didn't help that my brother was super protective of his toys and wouldn't let me near them most of the time.

I traded off my Bossk for a Gamorrean Guard in 1983 and didn't look back until 1997, when I returned home from a deployment to Bosnia. After the experience of living in a war torn country for several months, nostalgia became the primary driving force of my collecting habits and I found that my opinion of Bossk had changed for the better. Now, the vintage version of Bossk is my favorite toy of the character and my collection doesn't feel complete without the Trandoshan.

Boba Fett - related to my hatred of Bossk as a kid, I was so jealous of my brother's Boba Fett figure that I convinced myself that I hated Boba Fett and never really got over that until that first POTF2 Boba Fett figure appeared in stores. Now that my brother and I are both adults, there's room enough for both of us to be Boba Fett fans and The Mandalorian TV show has really given us a lot to talk about.

TIE Fighter Pilot - never hated him, just indifferent until I started recollecting the figures as an adult. I guess we simply put him in our TIE Fighter and forgot about him. Kind of an out of sight, out of mind thing. When my interests started turning back to Star Wars, in 1994, I "discovered" him in our collection after years of being hidden out of sight. Something just clicked with the figure right about that time and I've been obsessed with the TIE Pilots ever since.

Reaction score
I never cared much for the Anakin Skywalker figure, i just bought him because he was the only figure left in a store here in town long after the other shops had stopped selling Star Wars toys. When i saw that Lucasfilm replaced the Sebastian Shaw force ghost with the new Anakin force ghost i gained a new respect for the vintage figure as the only representation of the "real" Anakin Skywalker.

Reaction score
I never cared much for the Anakin Skywalker figure, i just bought him because he was the only figure left in a store here in town long after the other shops had stopped selling Star Wars toys. When i saw that Lucasfilm replaced the Sebastian Shaw force ghost with the new Anakin force ghost i gained a new respect for the vintage figure as the only representation of the "real" Anakin Skywalker.
You know come to think about it, there was a Hasbro 12" Anakin that came with the book in a masterpiece style box. That fig was awesome, and now indeed Special.

Reaction score
I'm going to go with Teebo. Not because of the character or the figure itself but because of what happened with mine.

I remember on Christmas of '84 opening a present and the box was a silver Hudson's box, which usually meant cloths. Being somewhat disappointed, I opened the box find to find it actually filled with Return of the Jedi figures!! Biker Scout, Cheif Chirpa, Gamorrean Guard, Royal Guards, Wicket, Jedi Luke and some others. I was five (almost 6) that Christmas, so my memory of it isn't precise but still one of my most cherished. I'm guessing Teebo was part of that lot.

Time goes on and after many, many battles I somehow misplaced Teebo. For some reason, I still had his headgear and bandolier but the figure was missing. Years and years go by and I just figured he was an unfortunate lost toy or maybe he ended up at a friend or cousin's house or something.

More and more years pass and I'm now in my mid-twenties and am visiting my parent's house when my dad walks in from the backyard. He had been doing some yard work and says, "Hey, I found something while pulling some weeds" and holds up a small, brown figure and hands it to me. Dumbfounded, I look and it's Teebo! Slightly a darker tan/brown from being in dirt for 20 years but, overall, in really good shape! I cleaned him up, found his gear, which I had held onto in a parts box all those years, and put him back in my collection. I was, and still am, amazed that he had been lost in the backyard for 20 years and then was found. Add in that my Dad, who sadly is no longer living, was never really into toys in general or Star Wars in particular, but still knew what he had found and that it would mean something to me and the story is really special for me to think about from time to time.

Reaction score
When i saw that Lucasfilm replaced the Sebastian Shaw force ghost with the new Anakin force ghost i gained a new respect for the vintage figure as the only representation of the "real" Anakin Skywalker.
This is why I can't be a grown-up about it and stop ripping on the prequel trilogy. Because the powers that be keep invading my movies with artifacts of the prequels. Say waht you will about the sequel trilogy, we haven't CGI'd the OT to include heavy handed sequel foreshadowing.

For me it is the entire POTF line. I remember crystal clear the first time I saw them at retail.
Me too... Only I immediately snapped up Han in Carbonite. I was scared if I got stormtrooper Luke the big kid next door would horn in it because he always made me be Han so he could be Luke when we played. The coin just killed me. Love that thing.

Later on my mom gave me the Luke as a reward for being good at the dentist or something. And I got a bundle of 6 or so POTF figs as a "here kid, be good during the reception and go play over there" present for eing a ringbearer in my favorite aunts wedding.

Han in Carbonite (any year/version) pretty much remains tied with a handful of others for my favorite figure, to this day.

I got Jabba's Dungeon with Amanin et al for Easter and I tried in vain to spot him in my pirated ROTJ tape. Pretty sure he's cropped out in the old home television format!

Reaction score
You know come to think about it, there was a Hasbro 12" Anakin that came with the book in a masterpiece style box. That fig was awesome, and now indeed Special.
I picked up one of those from Barnes & Noble (I think) back in the day. I don't really have a ton of room to display my 12"ers so I'll probably want to unload them at some point. I think I got Anakin and one other of those "masterpiece" box/book types laying around... and some regular release 12"ers from back in the day..

Reaction score
As is common in this hobby, I was getting out of Star Wars when the POTF figures came out. The only one I got was the mail away Anakin.
Once out of curiosity I (very self consciously) went into the toy section and briefly glanced at the Star Wars section and saw Amamaman for the first time. I thought to myself “That’s not a Star Wars figure!” It was so big I didn’t think it fit with the series. Too bad I didn’t look at all of the figures or check out the card back because I would have totally wanted Luke in Stormtrooper Disguise and Imperial Gunner!
My Mom really liked Star Wars figures too and tried to convince me to get them all and even offered to get them for me so I wouldn’t have to be embarrassed about going into the toy section at my age which was 13 at the time. I so regret not taking her up on her thoughtful offer...
Anyway I now have full appreciation for Amanaman!
I had the same experience. My mom always looked and helped me complete my collection. When we saw these cards , we both thought they were bootlegs or fakes since they weren’t on the raceback card. I remember seeing them again in 1990 at a toy store and thought again that they were fakes. When my mom dug out of the attic and sent me my old collection in 2010, my love returned from my vintage stuff. As I started researching what parts I was missing from my vehicles and what guns went with what figure ,I was amazed, those figures were real !!!!! Stated a mission right away get the last 17. I had Anakin, and paploo already. I love the POTF figures!

Reaction score
My parents had/have some serious flaws. But they WERE Star Wars fans themselves (being young adults when the movie came out) AND made bargain hunting a sport, so we had a TON of Star Wars stuff.

My big brother was not aging out of toys by the time of POTF, but he was not a completist like me. I was aging INTO action figures in the narrow window after ROTJ. So between the two of us we had almost everything in the ROTJ era Kenner mini catalogs.

Reaction score
- Boba Fett - I honestly have no memory of wanting that figure as a kid. A friend of mine gave me his childhood Boba Fett when we were in high school and I've loved that figure ever since.

- Cantina aliens - I never had any of them as a kid. Even when I was a collector, I was slow to add them to my collection. The vast different appearance from their on screen counterparts always bothered me. Now, they've grown on me. I even would love to get vintage toy accurate versions of them in the Black Series line.

Reaction score
Wow, I was almost certain someone would call me out using Boba Fett as my answer.

Looks like others were waiting for someone to go first :p

There are a few Bobas now.

Reaction score
I had the same experience. My mom always looked and helped me complete my collection. When we saw these cards , we both thought they were bootlegs or fakes since they weren’t on the raceback card. I remember seeing them again in 1990 at a toy store and thought again that they were fakes. When my mom dug out of the attic and sent me my old collection in 2010, my love returned from my vintage stuff. As I started researching what parts I was missing from my vehicles and what guns went with what figure ,I was amazed, those figures were real !!!!! Stated a mission right away get the last 17. I had Anakin, and paploo already. I love the POTF figures!
I’m an 80s baby and loved Star Wars as a kid. Since there were no ‘new’ figures until ‘97 my dad and I would hit up every tag sale, toy show, and second hand store to find the original figures. I loved the POTF ones - Anakin and the Imperial Dignitary are still in my top 10 vintage favs. Oddly never liked the original Han or R2 because the ESB versions looked cooler to kid me. I might be they only one who got an Amanaman before SW Han 😂

Reaction score
Do we think Boba is going to become more Collectible as a result of the new series?
I think the demand for him will be higher, and thus more expensive than he already is (if that's even fathomable!). He's already collectible, and probably always will be in high demand. I don't think that's going change. What will probably change is that you'll see an over-saturation in the new toy market, thanks to Mickey Mouse fans and bandwagon collectors. All of the old original toys are done and have finite numbers available, no more to be produced. Hasbro is making the Retro line, but those are really just knock-offs of the Kenner originals and probably more massed produced. Expect there to be tons of new Fett/Mando stuff coming around from all directions, but I'm not buying into much of it. Maybe will get a Retro Fett one day, but it's not a priority for me right now.

Reaction score
I myself never cared for the vinyl cape on the original jawa. I had gotten my mother to sew up another hood for that one to match the small army I had of them as a child. I only had the one with the cape.

Reaction score
Hasbro is making the Retro line, but those are really just knock-offs of the Kenner originals and probably more massed produced. Expect there to be tons of new Fett/Mando stuff coming around from all directions, but I'm not buying into much of it. Maybe will get a Retro Fett one day, but it's not a priority for me right now.
The vintage Boba Fett was mass produced from 1979 through 1985. The Retro Boba Fett was produced in 2020 and that's it. So, if we're just going off of strict production numbers, then Hasbro's Retro Fett is likely far more rare than Kenner's Boba Fett.

Of course, this doesn't take into account the fact that the vast majority of vintage Boba Fetts were torn off their cards and played with by kids, throughout the late-70s and early-80s. I doubt many kids bought Hasbro's Retro Fett and that figure was mostly snapped up by collectors who never plan to open him.

My prediction? As the vintage Fetts continue to age and finding a decent condition example becomes harder and harder, the value of that figure will begin to skyrocket. However, this will drag the value of Hasbro's Retro Fett up, as it will become the only affordable alternative (or placeholder figure) for many collectors. It will also be a great introductory figure for many new collectors.

Reaction score
The vintage Boba Fett was mass produced from 1979 through 1985. The Retro Boba Fett was produced in 2020 and that's it. So, if we're just going off of strict production numbers, then Hasbro's Retro Fett is likely far more rare than Kenner's Boba Fett.
Sorry, I wasn't limiting my comment to only the original sculpt of Fett. There are tons of 1995 and later toys out in the marketplace (including the Retro line). Those lines vastly outnumber the Kenner stuff from 1979-1985, and there are a still a ton of modern era collectors out there. I think for those modern lines there are wayyyyy too many speculators packing away MOC/MIB/MIP items thinking (falsely) they'll be worth big money down the road. Most of the modern stuff that's around is common MOC/MIB/MIP and the only reason a lot of it (with some exceptions) is expensive is because some back-door deals with retail store managers let some resellers grab up all the stock before it hit the sales floor. Most of it isn't rare (SDCC/Fan Club items/ and the like excepted) from a production standpoint. I've got enough 1995-2004 stuff to know that most of it isn't worth what I paid retail, unless selling in bulk. But even then it's hit or miss on breaking even.

Why is a vintage MOC ESB or ROTJ Fett worth a few grand now? It's precisely because not too many people were "saving" them with the intent of cashing in 40-some-odd years later. Most modern toy lines are now centered around us collectors, and not around kids playing with the toys. Kenner era stuff was definitely meant to be played with by kids, and I doubt Kenner was thinking beyond the cash register when producing the original lines.

Now Hasbro tho….

Reaction score
Somehow, I mostly cruised past star wars for gi Joe figures and vehicles. Still remember seeing ROTJ SW toys at Best, not liking that the arms and legs would not bend. Yet I played w my sisters old figures, Go figure..

Reaction score
One figure for me that has always stood out is Nien Nunb - the original was just a great sculpt, and the subsequent versions of the character have all been pretty lackluster. The Force Awakens release had a pretty great sculpt, but the paint was horrific. I ended up touching one of those up, but the original still is great.

The original Lando Skiff and Leia Boushh figures were also both VERY well executed. I don't think I appreciated the detail they have when I was 6 and recreating the Jabba's Palace scene with those in 1984, but looking now, they're impressive, and nearly 40 years old.

Sorry, I wasn't limiting my comment to only the original sculpt of Fett. There are tons of 1995 and later toys out in the marketplace (including the Retro line). Those lines vastly outnumber the Kenner stuff from 1979-1985, and there are a still a ton of modern era collectors out there. I think for those modern lines there are wayyyyy too many speculators packing away MOC/MIB/MIP items thinking (falsely) they'll be worth big money down the road. Most of the modern stuff that's around is common MOC/MIB/MIP and the only reason a lot of it (with some exceptions) is expensive is because some back-door deals with retail store managers let some resellers grab up all the stock before it hit the sales floor. Most of it isn't rare (SDCC/Fan Club items/ and the like excepted) from a production standpoint. I've got enough 1995-2004 stuff to know that most of it isn't worth what I paid retail, unless selling in bulk. But even then it's hit or miss on breaking even.

Why is a vintage MOC ESB or ROTJ Fett worth a few grand now? It's precisely because not too many people were "saving" them with the intent of cashing in 40-some-odd years later. Most modern toy lines are now centered around us collectors, and not around kids playing with the toys. Kenner era stuff was definitely meant to be played with by kids, and I doubt Kenner was thinking beyond the cash register when producing the original lines.

Now Hasbro tho….
This is an interesting thought, and why I decided to be primarily an opener. I just want to open, display, and enjoy the new figures. I want my kids to enjoy them.

With regards to Fett...the vintage will definitely continue to increase in value. The Retro collection one may, but the 2010 mail-away rocket firing retro will outpace it from the modern side. I also feel like Hasbro knows the Retro Collection one will sell, so they'll repack it on a Book of Boba retro cardback, and we may see a repaint in the Jedi Retro line too (okay, that's less likely).

Last edited: