Are the thicker POTF coins weighing in at 4g considered modern re-strikes?

Reaction score
POTF coin collecting is becoming difficult with all the various re-strikes our there. I know there are some thick ones that weigh 5g or more and some thin ones that weigh less than 4g, but what about the thicker coins that still weigh in around 4g? Are they vintage or also considered re-strikes?

Reaction score
re-strikes ?

Please inform the readers!!
Recently it was found out that POTF coins from the Osbourn mint were res-struck in the mid 90’s to test the dies for the POTF2 line. There are thicker ones that weigh in at over 5g and more recently some thinner ones weighing in at less than 4g also surfaced. The true vintage POTF coins all weigh over 4g and under 5g.

I recently went through all of my coins and weighed them to make sure they were all legit. I came across some that are thicker then the rest, but still have the correct weight. I was wondering if they are still vintage coins.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Adam,I can't figure out how to link the thread,but if you search potf coins in watch out section there's some interesting discussion about these! K

Reaction score
Kinda scary considering the values of some of the coins. I did start to collect these while I was building my last 17. I had almost half when I decided I wasn't into paying 300 for a yak coin and more for anikan. Glad I pulled out when I did.

Reaction score
I recently went through all of my coins and weighed them to make sure they were all legit. I came across some that are thicker then the rest, but still have the correct weight. I was wondering if they are still vintage coins.
Weight is not 100% conclusive; can you list the coins in question for me?

-M :)

Reaction score
Kinda scary considering the values of some of the coins. I did start to collect these while I was building my last 17. I had almost half when I decided I wasn't into paying 300 for a yak coin and more for anikan. Glad I pulled out when I did.
Yak Face and Anakin coins are not in question and the remaining 13 of the "Last 15" POTF debut-carded figures have cheap coins, so there's not that much to worry about if you're limiting your coin collection to POTF debut-carded figures/coins.

Reaction score
Weight is not 100% conclusive; can you list the coins in question for me?

My thicker coins are R2-D2, Wicket, Teebo, Luke Endor, Warok, and Chewbacca. I also have an At-At and Imp Gunner that are thicker on part of the coin and the rest is thin.

Most of my coins allegedly came from Ex. Kenner Employees.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My thicker coins are R2-D2, Wicket, Teebo, Luke Endor, Warok, and Chewbacca. I also have an At-At and Imp Gunner that are thicker on part of the coin and the rest is thin.

Most of my coins allegedly came from Ex. Kenner Employees.
Teebo & Imperial Gunner are the other mint, so there's no need to worry about those two. If the Warok has a SW logo on the back, it's fine also - all of the Warok re-strikes are the POTF alt-back - the same goes for Luke Endor, but make sure that the Luke also has the copyright markings on the front. Similarly, check to make sure that the Chewbacca has copyright markings on the front; if it does, check that the date is 1984; if it is, that's likely fine also. As an aside, check your Hoth Stormtrooper coin to ensure that the same details are present.

If the R2-D2 has a SW logo on the back, it's probably fine as well - I believe that all of the R2-D2 re-strikes are the POTF alt-back also, but I'm not 100% sure about that fact.

Wicket and the AT-AT have no double-checks. Since Wicket was released carded, and sent out in mail-aways, the odds are in your favour. The AT-AT is one with a good number of re-strikes likely in circulation. It would come down to when, where and from whom you bought it...also, whether you bought it with other coins or on its own. If you show me the Wicket and the AT-AT at Anaheim, I'll let you know what I think.

Reaction score
Wow, thanks Mark for all of the great information! Looks like my coins are probably in the clear. I still question the Wicket coin, which is strangely a lot thicker than the other coins. My AT-AT was purchased back in 2012 on EBay. I’ll probably just hang onto the Wicket and At-At coins, until I can be certain.

I’m in the process of acquiring a full set, so these will soon be duplicates. I don’t want to sell them as vintage unless I’m sure that’s what they actually are.

I appreciate the offer, but I’m regretfully not able to attend Anaheim. I will be at the next Celebration t

Last edited:
Reaction score
Teebo & Imperial Gunner are the other mint, so there's no need to worry about those two. If the Warok has a SW logo on the back, it's fine also - all of the Warok re-strikes are the POTF alt-back - the same goes for Luke Endor, but make sure that the Luke also has the copyright markings on the front. Similarly, check to make sure that the Chewbacca has copyright markings on the front; if it does, check that the date is 1984; if it is, that's likely fine also. As an aside, check your Hoth Stormtrooper coin to ensure that the same details are present.

If the R2-D2 has a SW logo on the back, it's probably fine as well - I believe that all of the R2-D2 re-strikes are the POTF alt-back also, but I'm not 100% sure about that fact.

Wicket and the AT-AT have no double-checks. Since Wicket was released carded, and sent out in mail-aways, the odds are in your favour. The AT-AT is one with a good number of re-strikes likely in circulation. It would come down to when, where and from whom you bought it...also, whether you bought it with other coins or on its own. If you show me the Wicket and the AT-AT at Anaheim, I'll let you know what I think.

Some day it would be awesome if you and James released an updated version of the out of print “Coining A Galaxy”. I’m pretty sure the demand is out there. Still one of my favorite SW books.