Apocalypse Riders

Reaction score
Hey, folks. I had an awesome idea for a line of action figures in 3.75" scale. They are...the Apocalypse Riders!

This project has been in my head for some time, now, and I'm glad to make a start on it as well as make a backstory for it. This would be a throwback to the late-1990s and early to mid-2000s, during a time when there were things like films by Tim Burton (The Nightmare Before Christmas, Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow, Mars Attacks!), and other films, TV shows, music and toys like Batman: The Animated Series, TMNT, Nirvana, Metallica, Aerosmith, Harry Potter, G.I. Joe, My Little Pony, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Beavis & Butthead, and of course, the return of Star Wars action figures as well as reboots of classic 80s cartoons like Masters of the Universe and Inspector Gadget.

For those of you who may be unfamiliar with the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse mythology, here's what it's all about:

The inspiration for this exciting and awesome series comes from the last book of the New Testament, Revelation;

I watched as the Lamb opened the first of the seven seals. Then I heard one of the four living creatures say in a voice like thunder, “Come and see!” I looked, and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest. ( Revelation 6:1-2); When the Lamb opened the second seal, I heard the second living creature say, “Come and see!” Then another horse came out, a fiery red one. Its rider was given power to take peace from the earth and to make men slay each other. To him was given a large sword. ( Revelation 6:3-4); When the Lamb opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say, “Come and see!” I looked, and there before me was a black horse! Its rider was holding a pair of scales in his hand. Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, “A quart of wheat for a day’s wages, and three quarts of barley for a day’s wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!” (Revelation 6:5-6); When the Lamb opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature say, “Come and see!” I looked and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine, and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth. (Revelation 6:7-8).

I thought this would serve as a basis for a kick-*** TV series of the same name with four protagonists fighting for freedom and justice as well as restore order to the real world and the world of the demons.

With that aside, here's the plot for the series; Four horseback riders each with their own mystical mounts keep balance between the mortal world of the living and the underworld ruled by Lord Hades. The riders' main base is the Purgatory Stables where they live and work.

Tarquin & Pestilence - a knight in shining armour and the leader of the team
Angus & Famine - a mighty Scots swordsman with brute strength equalled by his huge appetite
Joe & War - a rough 'n' tough cowboy with a fast draw who's also a bit of a fun-loving prankster but also an excellent marksman
Benjamin & Death - a gentleman highwayman with a sort of **** Turpin-panache

Each rider figure comes in a pack with his own mount as well as a range of accessories to battle against the undead demonic armies! The figures are fully-articulated and posable for action or to ride into battle!

The figures are to fit in with Star Wars and G.I. Joe in the same manner and design as the classic figures. The figures are articulated and come with soft goods, but the horses may be non-articulated.

This project may take some time, but I'm sure you guys will like it as much as I did planning and designing it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
And here is Joe, my favourite of the four because he was the very first character I designed.

The base figure was a G.I. Joe 25th Anniverary Duke figure I had as well as an Indiana Jones fedora I had from another figure. The holster came from a Chap Mei Western figure which I adapted. The six-shooter Joe carries was gonan be a BrickWarriors Six Shooter, but then I later setlled on the Brickarms Colt Navy revolver which fits in the holster nice and snugly. The horse (which I ordered with a Western saddle and bridle) are both from Schleich and I thought the Mustang Stallion was a perfect horse for Joe.

So please, let me know what you guys think of the figure. He's almost complete and his vest/waistcoat and bandana are both gonna be 'soft goods' much like the Kenner/Hasbro Star Wars Princess Leia Collection figures. And yes, he'll stay true to the original concepts I drew as would the other characters I would one day do...as long as I got the dough, and all the right parts, too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here we have is Joe's horse War. I do have the Schleich Western Saddle with me if you guys prefer it with that. Let me know what you think. For now, please take in the photographs of the Work in Progress.

Reaction score
Well, folks, to be honest, I wasn't much satisfied with my first custom of Joe as paint would rub off the joints (mostly the legs areas, of course), so maybe with some vintage G.I. Joe figures, I could do better in terms of painting, scuplting, sanding and what-not. Perhaps finding job-lots would be a good bet as that way I would have more to work with. What do you think?

Utinniii

Reaction score
I accumulate fodder as much as possible. Not only can I improve figures, but I can make even more. The unused pieces might be used later, or I can make backgrounders or figures less important to me.

Reaction score
I accumulate fodder as much as possible. Not only can I improve figures, but I can make even more. The unused pieces might be used later, or I can make backgrounders or figures less important to me.

I already have Crankcase's head which can be adapted into Angus the Highlander once I make the figure after acquiring the parts, of course.