Anyone tried epoxy resin?

Reaction score
Has anyone "preserved" their action figures in crystal clear epoxy resin? 4/6/8 sided shapes would make a great display (stackable too) and their weapons and a shiny metallic Starwars logo could be suspended inside.

It is obvious that you could no longer pose or play with them. AFA figs are kinda in that boat anyway.

So if you have done it or are an epoxy resin expert. Which resins would be least harmful, most UV resistant and longest lasting?

I read where medical grade resins last 100 years and one can apply a UV coat to the outside.

Any experience anyone? I cant seem to find anyone who has done this to vintage figs, not even on youtube.

Reaction score
Has anyone "preserved" their action figures in crystal clear epoxy resin? 4/6/8 sided shapes would make a great display (stackable too) and their weapons and a shiny metallic Starwars logo could be suspended inside.

It is obvious that you could no longer pose or play with them. AFA figs are kinda in that boat anyway.

So if you have done it or are an epoxy resin expert. Which resins would be least harmful, most UV resistant and longest lasting?

I read where medical grade resins last 100 years and one can apply a UV coat to the outside.

Any experience anyone? I cant seem to find anyone who has done this to vintage figs, not even on youtube.
I haven’t but I can’t see why it couldn’t be done. It won’t preserve your figure though. Just get a beater figure and try it.

Dax

Reaction score
While I see the merits in preservation, the problem is that this method would be considered destructive because the resin will bond to the figure making them inseparable. Most collectors would not find this acceptable to them.

Additionally because you have varying thicknesses of the resin you'll get diffraction of the light meaning that the figure probably won't display very well which is a problem.

Then you have to consider that when resins cure they produce heat which could damage a figure or might warp items like thin arms, capes or accessories which would make them unappealing to look at.

If you don't cast the resin well you could have air bubbles form which again would look terrible.

Even sealed there's no guarantee that the figure would not discolour as the plastic continues to deteriorate. It's not just exposure to oxygen that causes this. The additional heat from the resin might even accelerate the process.

Overall I think there's too many downsides and not enough upsides for this to be viable.

Reaction score
While I have never embedded anything like a star war figure I do know a great deal about resin production. I have been molding and casting garage kits for about 20 years so far.

You will need quite a few things. Very expensive.

You will have to get crystal clear resin which is usually twice the price of standard opaque resin. The price has doubled since the pandemic began. I used to get a 5 gallon kit for $280; the same kit is now $590. The crystal clear was $190 for a 1 gallon kit. I picked up a quart kit 2 weeks ago for $60.

The next thing you will NEED is a pressure tank and compressor. You place the receptacle with the casting inside the tank and pressurize it to at least 40 pounds of pressure.

You will need to pour it in stages to avoid it getting too hot. So long as you continue to pour each successive layer under pressure it would appear seamless. You will need to glue them down to something to keep them from floating about and migrating as we call it.

To gauge the proper amount of resin required you can substitute water to determine the volume..

Last edited:
Reaction score
This has to be a joke. No one in their right mind would want to do this. It kind of reminds me of a friend of mine in the 80’s whose parents laminated his high end baseball cards to protect them…..

Reaction score
Technically super difficult, including preventing air-bubbles, surface leveling, polishing, and will also yellow with age. Aside from that, just....why?

Reaction score
While I have never embedded anything like a star war figure I do know a great deal about resin production. I have been molding and casting garage kits for about 20 years so far.

You will need quite a few things. Very expensive.

You will have to get crystal clear resin which is usually twice the price of standard opaque resin. The price has doubled since the pandemic began. I used to get a 5 gallon kit for $280; the same kit is now $590. The crystal clear was $190 for a 1 gallon kit. I picked up a quart kit 2 weeks ago for $60.

The next thing you will NEED is a pressure tank and compressor. You place the receptacle with the casting inside the tank and pressurize it to at least 40 pounds of pressure.

You will need to pour it in stages to avoid it getting too hot. So long as you continue to pour each successive layer under pressure it would appear seamless. You will need to glue them down to something to keep them from floating about and migrating as we call it.

To gauge the proper amount of resin required you can substitute water to determine the volume..

I have all of these things plus an ultrasonic cleaner to vibrate out bubbles, pre-pour. I'm just going to do it. Why? Why not!

I have over 2 thousand vintage starwars figures that I don't even display...dying in boxes. Thought I'd give myself a reason to pull them out of storage. I'm thinking a good ol' stormtrooper will be the first. I have a resin cast dino bone that was done in the 50s. Still looks great but I have no idea what the resin is or if its still available. I bought some liquid glass (super clear 2.0). Just to make it interesting I also have a silicon mold of han in carb to encase the little guy in. lol I will probably throw it up on youtube in a month or so when done...just in case someone else wants to do it...good or bad.

Reaction score
Well if I had that many spares I wanted to throw under resin, I'd probably make a SW card/coffee table or something like that. Functional as well as displayable.