QUESTION Anyone recognize this COO on my 1977 C3PO?

Reaction score
Hey guys (and gals), I was just looking over my '77 3PO and noticed something odd about his COO leg markings. He seems to have an "O" between the 2 COO lines, and between the "bars" sculpted on his legs. It's not damage, as I looked under a high power loupe and it's a perfectly symmetrical raised feature in his leg, and it's chrome is still 100% intact. See the close up image below for your reference, and let me know if you can identify this COO variation.

General info about this C3PO: He's on the silverish side of gold (pale gold), has a small self-tapping screw (not a Lily Ledy flathead screw), and his COO is marked as below:

(C) G . M .F .G .I . 1977
(then the mystery "O")
KONG KONG

I searched here and a couple other places and could not find an exact match for this 2 line COO in any reference guide. Please help!

COO.jpg3po.jpg

Reaction score
Possibly just an air bubble that appeared during the process, then popped.
That's a possibility I hadn't thought of, but then again, isn't the plastic injection molding process supposed to eliminate air bubbles due to the high pressure used in the process?

Reaction score
That's a possibility I hadn't thought of, but then again, isn't the plastic injection molding process supposed to eliminate air bubbles due to the high pressure used in the process?
Most of the time, yes. Although I'm pretty sure there have been examples out there with an air bubble. I was referring more to the Vac-metal process, as it looks like the bubble formed during that process. If you look above the arrow you used to point to the circle, you can see what looks almost like a "run" in the finish. Another sign that it was a bubble that popped.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Most of the time, yes. Although I'm pretty sure there have been examples out there with an air bubble. I was referring more to the Vac-metal process, as it looks like the bubble formed during that process. If you look above the arrow you used to point to the circle, you can see what looks almost like a "run" in the finish. Another sign that it was a bubble that popped.
Excellent point. I was just watching some DIY vac-table videos, and it does definitely seem possible that bubble and "run" could be there. The vacuum pressure would definitely be strong enough to pop or crush a thin layer of plastic at the very surface of the leg. On second inspection, the part that looks like the run is a small nick in his coating (under the M in GMFGI), still the bubble theory is viable in my opinion and a likely cause.

Drat! On to the next way to make $1mil. LOL