Anyone into vintage turntables?

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm a big fan of vinyl and I'd like to start and make my own collection. I'm looking to get some Prince, Rolling Stones, Beatles, and Marvin Gaye at first, and then see with what I can expand my collection. A few recommendations wouldn't hurt, I'm into old music (as you can see from the aforementioned bands and artists). But the main topic here is about the turntable. I don't want a modern-looking one, I want one that will fit nicely into a 70's style living room as I plan to do some major changes in my home and make it feel like the era I love so much. Found some nice options here https://popular.reviews/turntable/, but I'd like your input if any of you have experience. What would you do in my shoes? Go for a no-name brand that sells the turntable at a cheaper price, or spend a few extra cash and get a Victrola or Electrohome? TIA guys, have a good day!

Reaction score
What's your budget?
Visit and sign up at Steve Hoffman music forums for all the info you need regarding vinyl and equipment. Cheap turntables will ruin your records and you will also learn that all vinyl pressings are not the same. You definitely want to stay away from the all in one units and Crosley.....

Reaction score
I have a 1958/59 Garrard 4HF for Sale. In complete working order. But its not within your budget constraints. I can post pics of it later if you want to take a look.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I'd have about $150-$200 max at my disposal.
Then you would have to find a good condition used table from the 70's or 80's. Those all in ones like a Crosley/Victorola currently being produced are worse than the toy ones from the 70's and destroy records.

On a new table you need to spend at least $300 (with $500 being my minimum) for a new table. Of course you then need amps, phono stages and speakers as well. It's a slippery slope.

Reaction score
the vintage sound you'r looking for comes from the cartridge not the platter. I have a few different turntables, my 'cheapest' rig is a modern numark USB table with a Grado Black cartridge and it sounds great. on special occasions I swap it out for a Grado Gold. I'm a huge fan of Grado cartridges. they've been making hand-wound cartidges in Brooklyn NY, using the same basic methods, since 1953. they have a warm rich "old school" sound that can't be beat. their entry-level Black series cartridge starts at about $80 -- this same cartridge would have cost about $500 in the 1970's (or more) -- these are the best cartridges you will ever find at this pricepoint, but more importantly, the old-school vintage 'sound' is more authentic than modern equipment. the Grado Black makes today's modern 'DJ' cartridges sound thin and wispy by comparison (I've got a half dozen different cartridges at different pricepoints, and FWIW, this one is still my favorite, even though it's the least expensive). the vintage sound is unmistakable. pair it with a tube-based amplifier and you'll never use anything else. this is one of the best 'bang-for-buck' purchases I ever made.
if I was dipping my toe in these waters (on a budget), I would get a Grado Black cartridge (no question); then find a cheap numark / audio technica / whatever, with a 4-pin mount (or even a used vintage table); and you would have a really great setup for right around $200. my advice: don't worry so much about the table itself -- 90% of what you're actually looking for, comes from the Cartridge LOL ;) cheers!

Last edited: