Anyone in the Seattle area?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I pretty much agree with Josh and Nick. A couple of years ago, I too believed in the "Scalper Menace" ( largely due to the presence of misguided profiteers at the TPM and AOTC Midnight Madnesses--I bet they still have those Nikto Jedis and Darth Mauls!), and even mistook poor Quagmire from here as one. It really is just fellow collectors beating you to the punch--if you're not able to get to the stores at opening when the shelves have been stocked overnight, your chances of finding stuff seriously decrease (at least during initial release). It's also about location. Since my wife and I moved back onto Capitol Hill from living in Lynnwood for a couple years, I've found barely anything worth noting during my lunch-time toy runs. Back when I lived a couple minutes from Alderwood Mall, I found so much more stuff just from hitting the stores at/close to opening--it was nice. Now, I've got the Northgate Target and TRU; neither are ideal for finding SW. It's just insane to brave "rush" hours (which is the farthest thing from a "rush" that I've ever experienced) and get to work on time(or my approximation of "on time") in order to hit more fertile grounds like Redmond or Lynnwood.

As for the actual "scalpers", I think it's mostly just the hot wheels guys(the infamous "Hot Weasels") out there nowadays. Some of them are harmless, some of them are offensively stupid and rude, but most of them are way more concerned with finding the latest "Treasure Hunt" than Tanus Spijek.

A couple Saturdays ago, I got up super-early, and was hell-bent on making it to the Redmond Target for opening. Visions of Bossk and Ozzel danced around in my head.
Anyway, I got there around 7:45 am, and sat in my car listening to the radio. As I sat there, three Hot Weasels showed up--two of them seemed to know each other, the other one awkwardly paced around the back of his car. But as the doors were about to be opened, the three of them merged with military-like precision into a bizarre marching formation, as if they had been trained to do this. They moved through the store at a brisk pace, eventually reaching the Hot Wheels aisle. I strolled to the SW, and though the shelves were full, it was nothing exciting--some HOF Lukes, Aayla Securas, Saga Jabbas. I looked around the end-caps for any good clearance, and made my way back into the SW aisle. As I was a few feet down browsing through the Marvel Legends figures, the Hot Weasels entered the aisle. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw one of them point to one of the Lukes, and say, "Yeah, this guy is a good one". The other guys grunted in agreement. Following that was this priceless exchange:

Hot Weasel #1(pointing to the Jabba): You seen that before?
Hot Weasels #2 and 3: (strange grunts)
Hot Weasel #1: Yeah, see, he comes with the bug. and you put the bug in his pipe, and he smokes the f---in' bug!
Hot Weasels #2 and 3, astonished:Huh??
Hot Weasel #1: Yeah, see that f---in' thing in his hand? It's a bug that the figure smokes.
Hot Weasel #2, in an authoritative tone: Well, yeah, if you remember in the original movie, he eats the bug, too.
Hot Weasel #1: Yeah, but he smokes the f---er ,too.
Hot Weasels #2 and 3: Silent agreement.

So see, there's really nothing to be afraid of as far as "scalpers" go.

Eddie

Reaction score
Ok - Here's the deal about card benders. They are not out to help the children collectors of the world to find the newest figs. There are actually much more selfish in nature. The theory goes if they find minty case fresh figures for themselves then by bending the cards of every figure they find from that time on increases the value of their mint figs. It is a sick way of creating false value for their finds. I worked in a toy store so I answer on authority and oh yeah I have known more collectors than girlfriends...sad I know.

Reaction score
Now I agree with you but I don't see the validity in using the POTF2 line. Agreed it is worthness in the scalper market now but instead lets take a look at the Saga line. If said card bender either bought or bent every Ephant Mon they found - local collectors would not hesitate to buy a perfectly mint one for higher costs at local Toy Shows or comic book shops because they do not know the future rarity of the figure.

Now don't get me wrong I despise those who make such a wonderful hobbie difficult and frustrating but I just thought there was a valid point in the theory.

Reaction score
Now I agree with you but I don't see the validity in using the POTF2 line. Agreed it is worthness in the scalper market now but instead lets take a look at the Saga line. If said card bender either bought or bent every Ephant Mon they found - local collectors would not hesitate to buy a perfectly mint one for higher costs at local Toy Shows or comic book shops because they do not know the future rarity of the figure.

Now don't get me wrong I despise those who make such a wonderful hobbie difficult and frustrating but I just thought there was a valid point in the theory.
<font size="2" face="arial">I used the POTF2 line because it is now gone from retail. It's something people bought a lot of and has had time to cool down. If we were to go ahead and use the Saga line, it would be the same thing.

Yes..there are 4 or 5 harder to find Saga figs (Ephant Mon, Bloody Luke, the repacked Vader and probably some other variations). But the rest of the figs can already all be had for less than their retail cost if you take a quick check at the Rebelscum classifieds or Ebay. In time, they'll continue to go DOWN in value (not up)....and be had for less.

The card bending guy may prevent a few "Gotta have it now" figures from finding a fresh one at retail....but in the grand scheme of things, he doesn't raise the value of his figures by bending them. In my opinion, he just ticks off a few local collectors, who will all eventually find their figures anyway.....same as they did with the POTF2 example.

As far as "bending every Ephant Mon" he sees goes, bending ANY HTF figure doesn't really matter. There are plenty of people that never saw one at retail that would love to get their hands on one for 4.99, even a bent one. I know if you showed me a store with SA Clones at retail value, I'd be there buying them all right now.....no matter WHAT the cards look like.

Card benders, scalpers, hoarders...and all the other boogeymen of the hobby are more scapegoats than anything else.....and I don't think they hurt the determined collectors out there in the least.

But again, this is all just my opinion.

Reaction score
YIKES!

My comment about a scalper was a little tounge-in-cheek but it was unusual to see at least 6 cases out on the floor and the only ones gone are the ones that everyone was scrambling for. BTW, this was the Ozzel/Dengar/Bossk wave so it did look a little suspicious. I'm just sorry for opening a can of worms on this one.

As for myself, I buy what I want and leave the rest alone. I always will only buy one hot figure even though there may be several on the shelves. I figured that half the fun is the hunt and why should I spoil other collectors fun. I post my finds here and feel good if someone finds something on my tip. I know that I've got a lot of stuff by the tips given here.

I guess what this boils down to is to "don't collect angry" (to paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog's Day). Collect what you love and think of others when you do. Then everyone has a good time.

And as for getting beat to figures, that's what this collecting thing is all about. Been getting beat to figures since 1978 and I'll continue getting beat as long as I collect this stuff. Oh well, I'll put my Kleenex away.

While were at it, has anyone found anything new in the stores today?

Reaction score
Oh yeah...

The Hot Weasels conversation was CLASSIC!

I laughed my booty off! Nice to see the braniacs actually found the store!

Reaction score
Ok - Here's the deal about card benders. They are not out to help the children collectors of the world to find the newest figs. There are actually much more selfish in nature. The theory goes if they find minty case fresh figures for themselves then by bending the cards of every figure they find from that time on increases the value of their mint figs. It is a sick way of creating false value for their finds. I worked in a toy store so I answer on authority and oh yeah I have known more collectors than girlfriends...sad I know.
<font size="2" face="arial">And here's why I don't think that theory holds no water.

Let's say the evil "cardbender" (Part of the same Axis of evil that the boogeyman and scalper also belong to) bends EVERY SINGLE Star Wars figure he sees in the city of Seattle for the entire run of a product line. For example: Let's say he somehow managed to bend every single POTF2 figure in our area for the length of the line (he'd be a real busy guy).

I can still go to Ebay, or right here in the Rebelscum classifieds today and buy every single figure from that collection (with the exception of a few freeze frames no one ever found) for pennies on the dollar. Entire complete collections for a couple of hundred bucks....not even half their previous retail value.

He didn't raise the "value" of his figures at all. He just annoyed a few MOC collectors that showed up to the store after he got done bending cards. Kids still bought the figures, Loose collectors still did, and eventually the store put them on clearance until they FINALLY sold all they could before returning the rest to a liquidator.

In the end, I don't fear the benders, scalpers, hoarders or prospectors of the world. Cause when I get to target at 7:59am, it's not them I see waiting outside. I see Chris, or some other Rebelscummer....and those are the guys that are there all the time. They're the collectors who not only get all the new stuff first, they help ME to find it too, and even trade or sell me the figures I missed.

In the end, the collector always wins.

Reaction score
Found a lone General Madine (no Han or Lando though) at the Redmond Target this morning.

Happy Hunting!

Reaction score
Gen Calrissian, Han, and Madine along with Ozzel, Bossk, and Dengar sighted in plentiful numbers at the Spanaway Wal*Mart.

Reaction score
Hey did you buy any chance see any Ewok Glider's at the Spanaway Walmart the morning?

And where the heck is our Target's second wave of Character Cups?

Reaction score
Originally posted by VigilantStudios.Net:
Gen Calrissian, Han, and Madine along with Ozzel, Bossk, and Dengar sighted in plentiful numbers at the Spanaway Wal*Mart.
<font size="2" face="arial">Hooyaa! Thanks VS. As soon as I saw your post I drove out there and scored me the General's wave and an Ozzel. I'm not too big on Bossk and Dengar so I left those. There's still about 3 of each still on the pegs.

Now if I can only find that little pesky Ewok and his Hang Glider...

Reaction score
Originally posted by Hukilu:
Hey did you buy any chance see any Ewok Glider's at the Spanaway Walmart the morning?

And where the heck is our Target's second wave of Character Cups?
<font size="2" face="arial">Nope. But, if I had I would have posted that it was there. I'm cutting back on my Star Wars collecting as I'm moving towards other toy lines with less competition. I'll still post what I find in the StaR Wars stuff though.

Dunno about the Star Wars cups. They way they seem to be warming the shelves, I'm not holding my breath in seeing them any time soon.

Dr. Z, I'm glad to be able to help you out. It's times like these that it makes me feel good to be a fan, helping others out. To be honest, I was half-tempted to bend all the cards before I left.

Reaction score
I found a lone Han Solo (Pizza Raid) today (8:15a)at the Woodinville Target. It was only there by itself. It either was a return or the put the cases out after 1:00p yesterday. But was not all lost, I found a Archangel from the X-Men Classics too.

Reaction score
Yesterday, Redmond Fred Myer had the entire Jabba's wave, including 2 Rappertunies, 2 Holo Lukes and 1 Jedi Luke. 1 each of the rest.

Redmond Target had lots of Hoth Luke, and several of the re-release figures.

Sorry I couldn't post last night, but the forums kept timing out on me.

Reaction score
...and I found the rest of the Endor wave at the Everett Target tonight. There was a Han, Boskk, Dengar and Ozzel left.

Reaction score
Tanus is 1 per case in the Dodonna wave - I've only seen him a handful of times. Don't fret though - he goes to two per case next month in a newer case assortment.

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm a vintage collector who has been out of the modern loop for a couple years.
I'm looking catch up on some figures I don't have.
I don't care about prequel figures or special ed. figures. I'd like to get some of the newer OT figs like Madine and Ephant Mon.

Anyways, what are the best places to go around here?
I work a block 1/2 from Bellevue TRU, so I go there on my lunch break sometimes. They seem to have a lot, but not a great selection.
Also what's the best day of the week to go? Anyone know when stores typically re-stock?

Thanks,
Andy

Reaction score
Saw a lone Ewok with Glider at the Tacoma KB this afternoon. Unfortunately, the upper right corner was bent. They also have a ton of screen scenes with ample War Rooms, both halves, and a few Jedi Councel sets.

Reaction score
Puyallup Wal*Mart got in two or three cases worth of the Madine and Bossk waves. Four pegs worth, all overflowing. Go get 'em if you haven't yet!

Reaction score
I've been looking for the Ewok and haven't found a thing in any Target/TRU/Fred Meyers yet.

I did find the Unleashed Luke, Emporer, etc this morning at the Bellevue TRU.

Reaction score
Unleashed Luke and Emperor along with the green Clone 3-pack, Jedi 3-pack and a host of other Clone Wars stuff for $7.99 at the Tacoma TRU.

Reaction score
Jabba wave was sighted at the South Hill Fred Meyers in Puyallup. There was 2 of everything including J'Quille (but no Tanus).

Reaction score
Yellow clone troopers, Clone/Durge speeder bikes, Unleashed Luke/Emporer and Ultra Ewok (5 of them) at the Lynnwood TRU.

The Ewok rang up at $4.99.

Happy Hunting!

Status
Not open for further replies.