Any good books to buy these days?

Reaction score
Im going shopping in August and Im making a stop at the Barnes and Noble store when I go out of town.

Are there any good decent fantasy books i should keep an eye out for? Any new under dog/lesser known science fiction stuff that are out now?

Books that I mostly stick with are these

Stephen King
Anne Rice
Star Wars
some Star Trek
old obscure 1980s horror from Bantam
Lovecraft
Wheel of Time
Boneslicer. a cheap copycat of The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings basically
Joe McKinney's zombie Undead books
Directive 51 Trilogy. conspiracy/world war iii type stuff

Reaction score
I really loved the breach series by Patrick Lee. Enjoyed the Dresden filed for a bit but they got repetitive. I also liked the wool omnibus.

An old favorite were the uplift books.

Haven’t read them but was told the storm light archive is good. And Valor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I've been ready some of Neal Asher's stuff. His Transformation Trilogy, (Dark Intelligence, War Factory and Infinity Engine), was very, very good read.

The books take place in Neal's "Polity" series of books, but I don't think you'd need to be familiar with the universe to enjoy these books.

Last edited:
Reaction score
when I go do a little bit of book shopping at Barnes and Noble I might even buy a videogame book novelization of Halo or Mass Effect for the heck of it even though I dont play any of the Halo or Mass Effect videogames.

Reaction score
yesterday I went to Barnes and Noble and i was just looking around in the fantasy aisle and Mistborn caught my eye. I dont know a whole lot about the Mistborn series but I went and bought Mistborn the first book but I could have bought the 3 book boxed set that was 28 bucks or whatever where it has all three of the main Mistborn books.

So in the book series, everyone does magic by doing metalurgy or whatever by screwing around changing copper and bronze into whatever? So its alchemy type magic messing around with metals basically?