Another kick in the teeth for us Euro collectors..

jediknight49

Grand Moff
Reaction score
I have just read this on the following site www.gentlegiantcollectors.com regarding sale of the limited art prints being made available by the Star Wars artists.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
However, here's the shoe dropping (and this affects ALL artwork at CE): LFL has informed the artists that they just change the prices of their C4 print charges from US dollars to UK pounds. Note that I said "change" and not "convert". This means that the AH! print at CE will likely be 75 pounds (which is basically $150 USD). I had this confirmed by Dave Dorman as well, who said his CE print will be 100 Pounds at LFL's request.

[/QUOTE]

Hope the SW Shop has plenty of room, because i feel that they will need it for all the unsold prints. I feel sorry for the artists, i love their work, and they are governed by "the maker" but this info is a kick in the you know what for us Euro collectors.

Well done LFL

SirTristram

Emperor
Reaction score
Well, that does indeed stink...as I was all set to purchase Dave's and Adam's prints! ...as well as JAKe's and some others....*sigh*...Well, I am glad I booked three West End shows for my brief stay...as least I can feel that I left with something!

BradP

Grand Admiral
Reaction score
Re: Another kick in the teeth for us Euro collecto

well I am glad I got my Trevas print from a friend.....

wonder what the prices for the figs will be?? I hope not 20 pounds each that is 40 bucks....

jediknight49

Grand Moff
Reaction score

Well, according to various replys to my post in other forums, the artists claim they are in complete control of the price, not LFL.
Yes the prints will be dearer than a straight $ to £ conversion, BUT they will not be £40 for a $40 print. It will more likely be a figure in between.

If this is the case, then i may be able to buy a print or two, but only the low end priced prints.

Glad i got my Russ Walks, Joe Corroney & Jeff Carlisle prints from a contact in LA. At least i will have something to show off on my wall

mattman81

Sub-Lieutenant
Reaction score

I'll see what prices are like at the show, but if they are too expensive, especially three figure sums, I wont buy them which would be a shame but I wont stand for being ripped-off.

Wuher

Line Captain
Reaction score

Russ is doing a different print for CE

That what he emailed me a few weeks before C4

Mark

jediknight49

Grand Moff
Reaction score

Russ said to me also that he was hoping to do another print for CE, but on his site, he showed the same print for both shows (before LFL asked him to remove the images).

I'll be after his print first, then the others will fall in line

Wuher

Line Captain
Reaction score

I'll be in the line too

MARK

jberb55

Lieutenant Commander
Reaction score
I feel for you Euro collectors if pricing does indeed reach rumored heights. The art section was THE highlight of my C4 trip.

artuk

Ensign
Reaction score
Just wanted to announce that The Animation Art Gallery is one of the proud sponsors of the Artist Alley at Celebration Europe.

There has been alot of speculation regarding pricing of art for the event. At this time no final prices for the artists work have been set. We are not expecting them to be a straight conversion but somewhere in between.

Pricing is something we are taking very seriously especially on our own exclusives.

Alex
Special Event Relations
The Animation Art Gallery

mattman81

Sub-Lieutenant
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up artuk, it's nice to kick-out the rumours once and for all and for people not to rely on what their neighbour's best friend's sister's dog has said.

May I ask if you're the ones that have been bringing in these LFL licensed artists for CE?? If so you've done a stella job because the artist guest list is amazing. Thanks very much

And there will be a small fanart exhibition in the fanclub lounge area if you'd like to pop along and see what us amateurs have been up to. Would be good to have a chat

SirTristram

Emperor
Reaction score
I feel it is still going to be more on the whole than at CIV....I just read that Forbidden Planet, for example will be selling one of the exclusive maquettes for 60 pounds....the exact same piece was sold at CIV for $80.
....with the conversion, this piece will cost around $115 to $120.
I don't hold out much hope that it will be any different for the Artists.

Oh, well....

DarthSnuggle

Captain
Reaction score
hey all... Lucasfilm merely suggested we make our US price our UK price, switching a dollar sign for the pounds symbol. It wasn't a command. As for the cost of Adam's print; we aren't sure yet how much its going to cost us to ship them over, and that will influence our pricing. PLEASE bear in mind; our printing is more expensive. Less artists are going to CE, so less artists went in on our "gang printing" so its costing each of us about twice as much as the first run. Our airfare? It's about 4 or 5 times MORE expensive for us to travel to London vs travelling to LA. The hotels are robbing us blind ( and I thought LA was bad). The tables are very expensive, AND I have to ship about 80 pounds of printed paper overseas via FedEx. We can't hope to charge the equivolent of what we were charging at Celebrations 4, because our costs are VASTLY different.

I'm not sure if its the Euro collectors beng kicked in the teeth here, or the artists. Trust me; my bills on this trip are HUGE, and we've little hope of breaking even. But we wanted to come, and be a part of the first European Star Wars Celebrations EVER. And we'll try and keep the prints as affordable as we can.

~Allison

SirTristram

Emperor
Reaction score
Well, I am an American, traveling over there and paying my own way and on top of that also attempting to purchase pieces with the outrageous currency exchange...I think people in my situation are in the worst position!

DarthSnuggle

Captain
Reaction score
SirTristram said:
Well, I am an American, traveling over there and paying my own way and on top of that also attempting to purchase pieces with the outrageous currency exchange...I think people in my situation are in the worst position!
okay... I'll give you that one. But i think you can apply to get the VAT refunded... I might be incorrect though. I can't recall where I heard that.

SirTristram

Emperor
Reaction score
DarthSnuggle said:
SirTristram said:
okay... I'll give you that one. But i think you can apply to get the VAT refunded... I might be incorrect though. I can't recall where I heard that.
LOL!

Yeah, the VAT can be refunded, but it is such a HASSLE! I hate it...I did it one time and received only about 12 pounds back.
After sitting in the basement of Harrods for 30 minutes waiting for it, it just didn't seem worth it anymore...
I don't know...The world is just expensive...

DarthSnuggle

Captain
Reaction score
SirTristram said:
DarthSnuggle said:
SirTristram said:
LOL!

Yeah, the VAT can be refunded, but it is such a HASSLE! I hate it...I did it one time and received only about 12 pounds back.
After sitting in the basement of Harrods for 30 minutes waiting for it, it just didn't seem worth it anymore...
I don't know...The world is just expensive...
AMEN! fortunately, alot of this is tax deductable for us; the cost of doing business. Otherwise, we'd be pretty broke by now....

artuk

Ensign
Reaction score
DarthSnuggle said:
hey all... Lucasfilm merely suggested we make our US price our UK price, switching a dollar sign for the pounds symbol. It wasn't a command. As for the cost of Adam's print; we aren't sure yet how much its going to cost us to ship them over, and that will influence our pricing. PLEASE bear in mind; our printing is more expensive. Less artists are going to CE, so less artists went in on our "gang printing" so its costing each of us about twice as much as the first run. Our airfare? It's about 4 or 5 times MORE expensive for us to travel to London vs travelling to LA. The hotels are robbing us blind ( and I thought LA was bad). The tables are very expensive, AND I have to ship about 80 pounds of printed paper overseas via FedEx. We can't hope to charge the equivolent of what we were charging at Celebrations 4, because our costs are VASTLY different.

I'm not sure if its the Euro collectors beng kicked in the teeth here, or the artists. Trust me; my bills on this trip are HUGE, and we've little hope of breaking even. But we wanted to come, and be a part of the first European Star Wars Celebrations EVER. And we'll try and keep the prints as affordable as we can.

~Allison
Thanks Alison for backing us up, As you rightly pointed out the costs of this event are absolutely huge and I know everyone is trying to keep there prices as low as possible.
Its just a shame everyone thinks were all in it for the money.

Alex
Special Event Relations

Jorbex

Emperor
Reaction score
It really is a shame, but the fact is that everything is quite a bit more expensive in the UK than in the US, so everyone who's going to Celebration Europe from the states should be prepared to spend a LOT more money, and that includes the prices for food, t-shirts, souvenirs, etc, etc, etc.

Jorbex

Emperor
Reaction score
DarthSnuggle said:
true enough... but i think the experience is going to be worth it!
Without a doubt, it will. After experiencing CIV, I'd love to be able to go to Europe, and it looks like the art show is going to be as good, if not better, than the one we had on this side of the Atlantic.

DarthSnuggle

Captain
Reaction score
artuk said:
Thanks Alison for backing us up, As you rightly pointed out the costs of this event are absolutely huge and I know everyone is trying to keep there prices as low as possible.

Alex
Special Event Relations
thats the funny thing; people think we are making our millions in this convention gig. The truth is, if we were in it for the money, I'd have Adam stay home and do sketches to put on ebay. At shows we ask $200 US; on ebay they are fetching $1200 US. So we certainly aren't doing it for the money. We do this for the fans, and because sometimes its fun for us too. I just wish people would stop thinking the worst of us, like we are money hungry and don't care about the fans, or the property. Adam and I LOVE Star Wars, being a part of this is so special to us... So much so that we are willing to lose money on the venture. Its not about the money!!!!

DarthSnuggle

Captain
Reaction score
artuk said:

Alex
Special Event Relations
thats the funny thing; people think we are making our millions in this convention gig. The truth is, if we were in it for the money, I'd have Adam stay home and do sketches to put on ebay. At shows we ask $200 US; on ebay they are fetching $1200 US. So we certainly aren't doing it for the money. We do this for the fans, and because sometimes its fun for us too. I just wish people would stop thinking the worst of us, like we are money hungry and don't care about the fans, or the property. Adam and I LOVE Star Wars, being a part of this is so special to us... So much so that we are willing to lose money on the venture. Its not about the money!!!!

mattman81

Sub-Lieutenant
Reaction score
Well on behalf of all the artists, I'd like to give you a HUGE thank you for making the trip to CE and an even bigger thanks for producing some CE exclusives for us. I've decided not to get any autographs or figures now and concentrate just on the prints and sketches.

I know only too well the pitfalls of being an artist, so I can really sympathize with the financial aspects of it all but I also know exactly what you mean about doing it for the love of it and for the fans. I do find the most rewarding part being able to engage the public about your work, and so once again thanks for making it to CE

And don't forget to visit the fanart exhibition too, lol.

jeditronzo

High Admiral
Reaction score
I had the chance to meet Allison and Adam at the Pittsburgh Comiccon back in April, and I must say that we had a twenty minute conversation that was awesome. The artists alleys are always my favorites at different conventions.

I must say that the funny thing about all the artists that I meet is that they have all been SW fans, which I thought was even cooler!

SirTristram

Emperor
Reaction score
It feels so strange to me that at this point...I feel as though the highlight of the entire celebration is the Artists Gallery and meeting them!

DarthSnuggle

Captain
Reaction score
SirTristram said:
It feels so strange to me that at this point...I feel as though the highlight of the entire celebration is the Artists Gallery and meeting them!
perhaps its because there are so many events at this point, and meeting actors or buying collectibles has become a little more common-place? Of course, thats not the case with the Celebrations exclusives! But perhaps meeting the artists has become the "rare" part of the event? I don't know... Adam and I do so many, its not hard to track us down...

JoeRhyno

Grand Admiral
Reaction score

I agree, and the "artist alley" seemed a little more personal, you could sit there and chat it up for a while, where as the actors signing was sometimes a bit rushed.

artuk

Ensign
Reaction score
mattman81 said:
Thanks for clearing that up artuk, it's nice to kick-out the rumours once and for all and for people not to rely on what their neighbour's best friend's sister's dog has said.

May I ask if you're the ones that have been bringing in these LFL licensed artists for CE?? If so you've done a stella job because the artist guest list is amazing. Thanks very much

And there will be a small fanart exhibition in the fanclub lounge area if you'd like to pop along and see what us amateurs have been up to. Would be good to have a chat

Thanks all of us at the gallery are really pleased with the line up and its really good to hear something positive for once. Russell and I will definately try to pop along and have a look thanks for the invite.

mattman81

Sub-Lieutenant
Reaction score
Thanks artuk, that would be much appreciated and no problems about being able to spread some positivity

Not sure if you'll know the answer to this, but can we pre-order any of the exclusive prints and if we pay on the day, can we do show via credit/debit cards??

Thanks for any help

Jorbex

Emperor
Reaction score
That would be neat, in CIV I spent more than an hour on line to pay for my prints

mattman81

Sub-Lieutenant
Reaction score
d-oh, I just realised part of my previous post made no sense. What I meant, in clearer English, is can we pay for prints using credit/debit cards during the show, whether paying the full amount or settling the bill if we can pre-order with a deposit.

DarthSnuggle

Captain
Reaction score
ok... it took a while to get the shipping estimate (plus fuel surcharge ~sheesh!), the printing costs and to figure in the cost of airfare, hotel, food, all at inflated "summer holiday in England" rates.... and the VAT , the licensing % and the table costs....

But I've got prices. You people will probably hate me.

Lucasfilm, unfortunately, had the right idea in suggesting we simply take our US dollar amount, and switch the dollar sign for the pounds one. I could have saved myself alot of time doing all that math; the results were identical.

Adam's print will be 75 pounds. My prints will be 30 pounds.

And? Before the complaints begin.... if I sell out my entire edition at 30 pounds? I will break even. If I want to bring home some money, I better get some sketching done!!!!!

Allison

gatodama

Admiral
Reaction score

i am in the same boat as Allison..symbol swapping..

My print will be 50 pounds and is 18" x 24"

SirTristram

Emperor
Reaction score

SirTristram said:
jediknight49 said:
Yeah.

Jeez....$150 for Adam's print....Well, I mihgt as well buy them from ebay.
I take that back....I just saw what Adam and Dave Dorman's prints are going for....Forget it. I need to pay off some credit cards instead!

DarthSnuggle

Captain
Reaction score

SirTristram said:
jediknight49 said:
Yeah.

Jeez....$150 for Adam's print....Well, I mihgt as well buy them from ebay.
you could try... but they are selling on ebay for between $380 and $400 right now. $150 is still a bargain and a re-sellers dream. In fact? I just received an email from a gallery that is willing to pay for 10 of them to re-sell at San Diego.

Adam's piece is oversized; it's 18 by 39 inches. The price to print, and ship them is also oversized. As is our airfare and hotel costs. And a big part of our pricing? VAT, baby. 17% VAT plus 13% licensing to Lucasfilm equals a THIRTY PERCENT LOSS.

So lets do airfare for Adam and his lovely mathmatician/assistant/girlfriend at $3500, shuttle service from airport to hotel at $250 (highway goddamned robbery.)and then back to the airport at the end of it all. Hotel is $220 a night ( its only $200 a night o stay at a 4 star hotel in Times Square in NYC, and this is only the fricken Docklands!!!) for 7 nights... that's $1540. Fed Ex wants (less thier "fuel surcharge") $350 to ship them over.

So before we even touch the cost of printing itself? We are at almost $6000 to just get there.

Now; we charge 75 pounds a print; multiply that by the edition of 250, and you get 18,750 pounds. thats $37,500 in US dollars. Sounds sweet, right? Now deduct that 30% we talked about in the begining. We are down to $26,250. You are thinking, "that still sounds pretty good". So deduct out the nearly $6000 in costs I outlined above, remembering that it doesn't cover food or the cost of taxis or train fare while there. So now we are down to $20,000, from almost $38,000. Oh, and you can deduct the cost of "lost business time" for being out of the studio, which is also "lost art sales". And all the long distance overseas phone calls I've had to make to straighten out all the hubbub of this darned event. And lastly? The cost of actually printing the damned things.

There's a reason we are charging 75 pounds, and it isn't greed. Feel free to not buy it from us, and buy it from Ebay instead.

All this math makes my head spin; where the HELL is my margarita.....