Annoying Ads

Reaction score
I can accept ads as nature of the beast at this point, as long as they don't load a second after the rest of the page and shift all the links right as you try to click on them.

Most of my complaints revolve around clicking the wrong thing.

Reaction score
My concern is that of online safety, more than how unsightly the ads might look. I clicked on one and it said they are Google ads, so hopefully they wont be hacked or otherwise manipulated. There was another Star Wars fan site that used similar banner ads, and they were hacked via the advertisements numerous times. Hopefully one of the owners can chime in to let us know that these are secure, as I don't want to see that happen here.

HeatherDurazzo

Administrator
Reaction score
My concern is that of online safety, more than how unsightly the ads might look. I clicked on one and it said they are Google ads, so hopefully they wont be hacked or otherwise manipulated. There was another Star Wars fan site that used similar banner ads, and they were hacked via the advertisements numerous times. Hopefully one of the owners can chime in to let us know that these are secure, as I don't want to see that happen here.
They are google ads, we have no concerns of them being hacked. These are from the same company that has run ads on the main site for years, and we work closely with them.

Reaction score
I do hope it doesn't get to a point of being obnoxious, I wouldn't mind a few advertisements for relevant Star Wars related material, movies shows and so on, maybe even related events. It really needs to be kept down to a minimum though, and kept front of house i'e the front page rather than the forum itself.

The crux of it is, absolutely no one here wants to see the massive international conglomerate's detritus scrawled all over the place, its a path that never ends and just gets worse over time. If its a ploy to eventually ramp it up then do the old ''pay for no adverts'' trick that many places end up doing, whilst raking the revenue in off of the backs of those members that create the content freely then yeah its not going to end well for anyone, people will just go elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't blame anyone for trying to get paid doing star wars collecting community hubs so it doesn't matter to me. I am not in the habit of accessing RS on my mobile device though so if I were it could be a little more obnoxious to me in that arena, but again, they gotta keep the lights on somehow and I get it. I'd put a billboard up in my front yard to get paid if it weren't against ordinance, but only for pizza and taco spots I deemed worthy of letting others know about.

Reaction score
Not really surprised. They are distractive and annoying...(along with the Similar Threads thing at the bottom of pages now with links to threads that are months and years old)

Reaction score
I keep getting one for something called “Scuffette Stellar Sequin.” It shows up regularly. I’ve never been more convinced that I’m living in a Kafka novel. I almost clicked on it, just to satisfy my morbid curiosity. But I’m pretty sure I’d rather my whole collection catch on fire first.

1636933604588.png

Reaction score
Indeed! Well, I guess that tells you something about my preferences and search history!

I also keep getting one called “Sport Pirate” with a picture of Al Gore. I refuse to click, but boy, what on God’s Green Earth? The bots aren’t quite as brilliant as some might lead us to believe…

Reaction score
The bots aren’t quite as brilliant as some might lead us to believe…
Every robot uprising story I ever saw…
“I get some dumb @zz couldn’t be bothered to write 1-3 extra line of code to avoid this, but why can’t we just unplug or de-power them?”

Reaction score
Anybody else randomly getting a fullscreen "McAfee Total Security" scan blah blah blah infected yadda yadda, ad when they come on the forum? Related to the ads?

Reaction score
The other day one of the ads was closed by the browser, saying that it was using too many resources - what is that all about? Advertisements shouldn't be using any of the computers resources. I can understand simple images / gifs, but not auto-play videos or anything else.

Below is the ad that popped up a few minutes ago, guess RS is not for kids anymore, lol

View media item 406024

HeatherDurazzo

Administrator
Reaction score
The other day one of the ads was closed by the browser, saying that it was using too many resources - what is that all about? Advertisements shouldn't be using any of the computers resources. I can understand simple images / gifs, but not auto-play videos or anything else.

Below is the ad that popped up a few minutes ago, guess RS is not for kids anymore, lol

View media item 406024
These are programmatic ads that should be tailored to the individual using the site. I can definitely talk to the ad company about additional measures we can take to filter out any questionable content.