An update on my stolen Proto Rocket Fett (returned)

Philip_Wise

Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
An update on my stolen rocket fett.

First, I'd like to sincerely give thanks to the massive amount of people, sites, forums, Facebook groups, etc, that helped get the word out.

In my early conversations with the police they advised doing this is the most important thing to do when something like this is stolen.

Because of the ongoing investigation of this, I can't say very much about it other than known facts.

I do have my fett back in my possession.

A very honest person did see the news on the theft and he contacted me, even though it was a great financial risk to him as he had purchased it, but did not have possession of it yet.

To my very great shock, he purchased it from a trusted friend of mine, somebody known to many others in our community.

He admitted the theft, and returned it to me.

It was not the only thing he took from me, and I'm not the only person he took things from.

An arrest warrant was issued for Carl Cunningham in California and he has appeared and posted bail. It's a very serious grand theft felony arrest.

The list of items taken by him he admits to includes a number of valuable unopened Master Replicas items from me, and at this point, it is unknown if there are more items he will admit to, or if he will admit to all of them. If you purchased something from Carl in the last two years, I'd appreciate your contacting me about it.

I'm posting this now because the number of people who know about this is growing with time and the investigation, and it's a problem not having the truth out there to everybody.

More info will come on this from me and others as time progresses.

philip@rebelscum.com

Reaction score
Awesome news! Glad to hear you got him back. Quite sad that it was a trusted friend that took it though.

Reaction score
I'm so glad to hear you got it back, even though the shock/pain of it being from a trusted friend, and other things having been stolen by him, is something else you have to deal with. Friendship or monetary/sentimental value, no one would want to choose which would hurt more to lose. But I think I can say that in anything in life, the unknown can be a difficult thing to deal with. I think getting it back but also knowing what happened will be a pain that is easier to deal with than never getting it back and never knowing who could be trusted (or in this case not trusted anymore).

Reaction score
People who steal from friends that trust them are the worst people on the planet. "Only a freind can get close enough to stab you in the back." I wonder how long it could've gone on if they didn't finally steal something you missed. Was it still in the case when you got it back?

JVM

Reaction score
It's great to hear that your Rocket Fett was returned to you, but I can't imagine the pain of knowing a friend and fellow collector was the one who's been stealing from you - whether it's something of this value, or if it had been some cheap toys, the financial loss involved can't match the sting of betrayal. I'm sorry you've been through this.

Reaction score
Glad to hear you not only got it back but the thief has been caught in the process. Sorry to hear it was a trusted friend. The worst thing about that is it can cast a pale over other close friends that you wouldn't think would do something like that.

Reaction score
im very happy to hear your fett is back where it belongs . I hope they throw the book at your ex friend . such a dirty scummy thing to do . people don't realize that wealth is not what really matters in life . I had a friend steal something from me when I was a kid . its a horrible feeling .

Reaction score
Glad you got fett back. Hope your 'friend' gets the help he obviously needs!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Glad you got your Fett back! Another longtime Rebelscum forum member (I don't want to name him unless he decides to post about it himself) had his Rosen Centre hotel room broken into over the weekend, and had at minimum $500 worth of items taken, likely more. He actually walked into his room while the thieves were in there, and the two guys forced their way out and ran. They haven't been caught yet, but it could easily be somebody who knew what he had in his room. I can't imagine it was just a random room breakin (they hacked the electronic door somehow). Things like this really tarnish our great collecting community. It's a shame that scum like this exist...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Glad to hear this was found and returned!
I heard the news from some friends on Sideshow Freaks as Carl Cunningham is a member on those forums as well. Sad that fellow collectors do this.

Reaction score
Philip, glad to hear that you got your SW collectible(s) back. Thanks also for calling out the scum-bag who stole your property. Public shaming like this is important - others need to be aware of this person so they won't deal with them in the future.

As far as I'm concerned, thieves are true scum of the earth. About 17 years ago, I had my home broken into & many of my possessions stolen (CD's, computer, etc.) & these were never recovered. Though no SW toys were stolen, they easily could have been.

I definitely think this country coddles criminals too much & if they steal something, in a lot of cases all they get is a slap on the wrist. In some (though not all) cases they need to be in prison for the rest of their lives. And, no - I'm NOT kidding.

These types of situations are one of the many reasons I don't display my SW toys @ my home. I don't even let girlfriends know that I have these collectibles. The less people know about these, the less chances there are that they will be stolen.

Also, I would strongly encourage everyone who hasn't done so already to get an alarm system for your home (whether or not you have SW or other collectibles). It's true that having an alarm system won't assure that you won't get broken into, but it is a deterrent.

Glad you got fett back. Hope your 'friend' gets the help he obviously needs!
Some hard time in prison will definitely "help" a thief see the error of their ways. Hell, throw these pieces of trash in jail forever so they won't be able to get back on the street and cause misery for another innocent person.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm extremely happy to hear that your figure was returned, and shocked at the same time that something like this would happen. Is there a list of items that were taken?

Reaction score
Im glad you got your item back, a rare figure not a lot of people see everyday so congrats. When I heard of it I said to myself that this guy will not see his figure for a very long time but with the help you got Im glad you got it back. Martin.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am glad to have your fat feet and give people a chance to get the latest information from different parts soon.

Reaction score
Nice "friend" anyway... But it's very nice hear about good ending :)
I got my Rocket Fett from my father and I would kill if someone took him and never sell him