An ambitious project...

Reaction score
So the resident 9 year old has convinced me to take on a really ambitious project. I really didn't want to post this until I was further into it, and I know I'll be lucky to finish this before he graduates... from college, but I want to share what I've done so far. I'll leave it to you to figure out what the project is...

Well, who's gonna buy him? All he does is stand around scratching his butt!

Let's play guess the figure!

Testing the size to make sure there's room. I was afraid it would be too big, but not sure now. Can't make it bigger, it's already gonna be huuuuge!!

Pile o' pit droids!!

Reaction score
keep up the good work!

Question what are you using for the treads? I'm building a sandcrawler myself & ran into some support issues once I started loading it up with figures.

Reaction score
All I have done so far is the first floor structure. I found a good way to temporarily hold it together with toothpick rods in the walls. When I'm satisfied with it, it can be glued together with no visible brackets! I'm going off of the cross sections illustration.

The body of the sandcrawler will be built mostly of 1/4" plywood and will sit on the bottom assembly as if in a cradle(inside the ledge starting with the little door above the front treads). I have a good idea of how I want to do the crane and the treadmill assemblies. The treads are probably the last part I'll do. They won't roll, but I have an idea about having the front ones turn as if steering. I'm going to need to get better at casting if I want to make the treads like I want to. I need to get more tools and supplies and with working 2 full time jobs some time would be good also. Thanks for the interest!

Reaction score
Wow. I couldn’t do it in fifty years!

I do think I’m seeing a Twiki from Buck Rogers in there!

Utinniii

Reaction score
Wow! this will be amazing when it is finished.

I love how deep it will be. You can really get a lot of figures in there.

I started a large scale Sandcrawler but it is more of a facade, much like the cardboard Kenner playset. Partly because of space but mostly because the sandcrawler is pretty boxy.
Nienyub made a 1:18 scale version of this. It is on his website.
How accurate are you going with this? I mapped out the storage room and where all the various droids were in relation to each other. So if you want to know where to put the IG 88 head, let me know.

I made a mold of an old rectangular phone button that was perfect for the overhead lights.

I agree that the treads will be the most difficult part. They will be tedious to make. Video Viper makes a good observation about weight. That was something I hadn't considered.

But the most important question is, are you adding the Jawenko?

Reaction score
I rewatched the Jawa sequences last night for more ideas. It seems that the lights were mounted on heavy beams across the ceiling, shouldn't be too hard to replicate with LEDs. They will be much brighter than the sandcrawler's dingy atmosphere, partly because they don't make dim LEDs, partly because I'm 50 and I NEED TO SEE WHAT I'M WORKING ON DAMMIT!! Ahem, excuse me.. anyhoo..

I saw the Foamcore Sandcrawler Frank (NiubNiub) made for the Celebration convention some time ago, it's kind of what made my son want me to make one. I was disappointed that he didn't have any instructions or info on it, I found out later that it didn't really survive the con and he didn't do anything else with the idea.

The project so far is using some leftover 2ftx2ft square 1/4" plywood. That's the basis for the interior width. I hope to make it 5 floors high. First floor ceiling is about 7". Second floor will probably be about 10" but will have a catwalk at 5". The third and fourth floors will be jawa size and the top floor will just be the cockpit/drivers area. Gonna be as big as a coffee table!! Haven't decided how much of the interior of the back section I will do. That depends on how much space I need for the power supply and wiring. Not going to make everything exactly as in the cross section, but as much as I can. Some things in that pic don't make sense, but it was artist's discretion when they were painting it. I have (most of) the whole thing planned out in my head, but I need a few more tools and more wood and other supplies. As I go, I will try to post dimensions and what supplies I use and from where and approximate price for others to copy. I mean, "to be inspired by...".:p

I plan to have the crane motorized to move fore and aft and to lower and raise. I don't think I'll be able to make the claw powered, it'll probably be hand operated, something like the scavenger droid that was a pack in with a figure some time ago.. I also am looking into having the giant front door be motorized to open and shut. So far, that looks like it'll be expensive, but I'm still researching. Working as an electronics engineer is awesome!!

More updates when I have time!

Reaction score
This is fantastic. I made a foamcore facade of one for my Purchase Of The Droids dio, but this looks like it's going to turn out to be awesome!

Last edited:
Reaction score
... Jawenko?
Gezhundheit!

Just kidding! As giant as this will be, I don't think I have room for this. I could maybe try to make one for the kiddo to play with, but he hasn't played Super Star Wars and wouldn't know what we're talking about! This is mostly a for him project!

The outer hull will be skinned in plastic sheet to replicate the panels. Haven't decided if I will try to scribe the panels or just cut them out and jigsaw them together. But that's like step 250 and I'm still on step 2 or 3...

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is an amazing project. My biggest obstacle would be the lights and wiring, and how to hide them without losing space. So far, it looks like you have a great layout!

Reaction score
Going to use a dremel router to freehand the channel for the LED wiring! Secured in place with hot glue. Lots of planning for this, just no money.... yet!:p

Reaction score
I think that I’m more interested in this than anything anybody else is working on. The bigger and grander and more decadent, the better! Keep posting when you can...

Reaction score
Doing the planning for the next floor layout. Trying to find something to make the conveyor belt assembly as seen in the first pic. The two options I'm looking at so far are in the bottom pic. They are Dart weights, the brassy looking parts, and Trackball bearing rods, the smoother cylinders. Not really feeling either, so I'm open to suggestions. The trackball rods look best but are solid metal and would weigh a TON...

20191106_144730.jpg

20191106_144842.jpg

ALSO: warming to the new look and interface for the forum but WHERE THE FORK DID MY EARLIER PICS GO? I can't find them in my gallery!!!

Utinniii

Reaction score
I like the brass ones with the grooves the best. (I may steal this idea).
If you want something light, use straws with textured paper to simulate the grooves. I often use plastic lollipop stems in my models. Some are solid and others are hollow so you have an option.
They can also be made with rolled up paper, lego or K'nex which are poles that can be attached Bionical like. I got some Plants VS Zombies figures in this company's sets.
Will they be functional or static?

Reaction score
Make sure you plan to use proper support as the weight of the structure plus the toys adds up.

Had to fix some warp issues with mine.

Reaction score
Slight update today. Figured out the lattice work for the beam style ceiling. Now I need a router bit for my Dremel to carve out the channels for the lights!

20191119_134511.jpg

The droid hold layout is about 16"x16". I will have the lights in the 2 vertical beams 4 per beam. There will be 3 illuminating the "airlock walkway" between the droid hold and the giant fold down door. The plan is to have the remaining 4 lights on this set lighting up the area behind the droid hold, that will have the extendable stairway inside...

20191119_135059.jpg

This is the area I just mentioned. I plan to have the extendable stairs in this little alcove. This is above the area between the front and rear treads. The hole saw marks the approximate location of the R2-D2 vacuum tube. I still haven't figured out that one. Probably just PVC tubing with some greeblies.
20191119_135103.jpg

This shows the front end of the droid hold and the "airlock walkway". I will have some kind of hinged flip up door on the droid hold and the lip to the right will be where the giant front door is hinged. In the cut away painting, there is a small personnel door at either side of the Sandcrawler in this area.

Reaction score
Yep! I knew the Jawas were a spacefaring race, but I thought the sandcrawler designs were only found on Tatooine as they were abandoned mining equipment. Guess there was mining on other planets... It was funny watching the big bad bounty hunter get his @$$ kicked by a sandcrawler full of Jawas!!

Reaction score
Yes!!! This is something I have thought about a lot. Any opportunity to combine droids and dios is good in my book. Anytime I watch ANH I always muse about knocking out the sandcrawler and for some reason I've always liked the ceiling. Glad to see you doing this. And in wood! Solid!

Reaction score
Some ceiling updates!! All you aspiring woodworkers out there, STEP ONE IS MAKE A DOWNDRAFT SANDING PLATFORM!!!!!
20191208_125255.jpg

This is the channel I routed to hide the wiring in the beam.
20191208_123043.jpg

Test fitting the beam framework.
20191208_125221.jpg

Test fitting with a row of lights installed. Good and bright! Gonna have to do a lot more routing to hide the wires. Really don't want to cut and solder every. damn. light....

Thanks for checking this out!

Last edited: