AMC's The Walking Dead

Reaction score
Re: AMC\'s The Walking Dead

Ian_C said:
As a self-professed zombie nut, I have been looking forward to this ever since I read about it on here. Never read the comic, and unfortunately we don't seem to get the show on our cable, but I downloaded it and watched.

Pros

For a TV show, they are not holding back on gore. No gore in a zombie show would kill it, so this is a major plus.

It actually has a plot with character development, which places it above many films in the zombie genre.

Cons

The cop is surrounded by a massive zombie horde and falls off his horse onto the road. He manages to watch his horse get overcome by zombies, and then crawls away with limited aggression by the zombies - at first. It just didn't seem believable, as both would be overcome together.

He has learned that his hometown has become a ghost town, with most of the population becoming the undead. Yet, he repeatedly gets out of his car and wanders in the open with only a single gun at his side. I'd be trying to stay concealed any time I wasn't in the car.

Getting the radio message inside the tank seemed a little cheesy to me.

Having him get hit in the head with a shovel made little sense to me. He was told straight out that as a single zombie, there was little threat, so why did the kid and his father not stand back a bit and call out to him? A verbal answer would be enough to assure them he was human, and they didn't need to tie him up to assure themselves he hadn't been bitten.

While secure in the house overnight, there seemed to be little worry about the house being surrounded by countless zombies. I just didn't get a sense of tension as a viewer in these scenes (ie. look at Will Smith's performance in I Am Legend at night in his house). Furthermore, they make a point of saying the light attracts them, but with the amount of light they have, no way those blankets covering the windows would block it all from being seen outside.

My biggest beef though is the lack of zombie attacks. For most zombie fans, the fun part is seeing the zombies attack and kill humans. The only true attack I remember seeing was the attack at the end, which didn't even get a bite scene, never mind a death. However, I understand that as characters are added in future episodes and the cast grows, we'll probably see some of the attacks at a later date, and I'm willing to wait and see.

Overall, the show scores very well in the most important major points, but certain little fine details were a bit aggravating. Not perfect, but a fun show to watch nonetheless, and I am looking forward to Part 2.

Ian
Hmm I think you have taken all the fun out it. I wouldn't waste too much time analyzing a Horror Zombie flick.

The only thing I wont want to see in the love triangle that is about to spring into action as soon as he gets back to his wife. I'm pretty sure she was doing his buddy before all this happened. There should be ZERO romance in this.

Reaction score

I didn't mean to do that. When I was watching it, I thoroughly enjoyed it for the most part. It looked like people were saying what they did/didn't like about it, so I was offering a critical look at what I saw.

The only thing I wanted to get across was that despite being awesome, there were some little things that did bug me.

Ian

Reaction score

Turbowars said:
I'm pretty sure she was doing his buddy before all this happened.
Huh. Maybe....I didn't intrepet it that way, but you may be onto something there. I figured they "hooked" up after the assumption he was dead sunk in.

Reaction score

DarthBeek said:
Turbowars said:
I'm pretty sure she was doing his buddy before all this happened.
Huh. Maybe....I didn't intrepet it that way, but you may be onto something there. I figured they "hooked" up after the assumption he was dead sunk in.
Well you never know, but remember they were having issues before the dead started to walk. The conversation in the patrol car gave me the idea. His partner seems like a dirty bag. He's a control freak.

As for the horse dying. Well it just so happens I'm a bleeding heart for animals. As much as I didn't want it to happen and I did see it coming, it was quick and not over done. I guess it was a quick death instead of a long drug out death by starvation on the farm.

Reaction score

Well I love the concept, but I get tired of people doing stupid [censored], and willing to be in trouble in these movies.

Deputy riding in a city on a horse where it is a very dangerous environment with all zombies all over the place he was sure to be in trouble, and become a victim. But, always there is away to save yourself at the point where there is no hope. Him getting into the tank almost being eating. Its very predictable. But, ain't all mini series are?

Reaction score

Star_Tours said:
Well I love the concept, but I get tired of people doing stupid [censored], and willing to be in trouble in these movies.

Deputy riding in a city on a horse where it is a very dangerous environment with all zombies all over the place he was sure to be in trouble, and become a victim. But, always there is away to save yourself at the point where there is no hope. Him getting into the tank almost being eating. Its very predictable. But, ain't all mini series are?
uh he rode into atlanta thinking his family was there as that would have been a logical place to go. big city, police/military protection etc. he found out that is not the case. why are people hung up on this point? the black dude told him that the last reports on the radio were to go to atlanta and also the cdc was there working on a solution. The tank scene was not in the comic if i remember correctly? the horse was eaten and he is aided from people on the rooftops as the zombies cant get them there.

Reaction score

boff123 said:
Star_Tours said:

uh he rode into atlanta thinking his family was there as that would have been a logical place to go. big city, police/military protection etc. he found out that is not the case. why are people hung up on this point? the black dude told him that the last reports on the radio were to go to atlanta and also the cdc was there working on a solution. The tank scene was not in the comic if i remember correctly? the horse was eaten and he is aided from people on the rooftops as the zombies cant get them there.
you are correct, the tank scene is not in the comics. Glen shows up and he gets him out. rick learned the hard way to avoid the cities.

Reaction score

boff123 said:
Star_Tours said:

Thanks for injecting some common sense Boff, ya beat me to it.

Reaction score

Just watched Days Gone Bye....again, and have to say that by far my favorite scenes in this episode were Rick sitting on the sidewalk steps of his home leading up to the intro with Morgan and Duane. The subtle music shift, Rick grasping with reality, waving to the approaching walker... Powerful stuff! And the other scene would definitely be the scene with Morgan in the second floor window with the rifle. Again, very emotional stuff. I hope they can maintain that level of drama and emotional attachment with the later eps and the introduction of more characters. I'm very excited about watching "Guts" tomorrow to get my answer!

Reaction score

I finally watched the first episode last night and really enjoyed it. I'm in for the rest of the season.

Reaction score

Episode 2 - Guts

Another fantastic gory hour of fun.....

Reaction score

not a bed second episode. I thought it was pretty funny when they cut the zombies up and wore them to disguise themselves from the oncoming hoard.

Reaction score

I watched the first episode on the AMC website. It was good, it stayed true to the comics for the most part. I would watch more, but unfortunately that's the only episode they're going to stream online, and I don't have cable, so that's it for me.

Guess I'll wait for the DVD.

Reaction score

RedHarlow said:
I would watch more, but unfortunately that's the only episode they're going to stream online, and I don't have cable, so that's it for me.

Guess I'll wait for the DVD.
There are other ways.

We don't get the show at all here in Canada. I just had to wait for it to be uploaded by someone, then I downloaded it. I have both episodes on my hard drive right now, and just finished watching this week's episode.

I'm enjoying it, but there's something I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe having seen SOOOOO many zombie films through the years, I'm not quite getting the 'wow' factor due to TV restraints. I can just see events unfolding before they happen, and with two weeks down and still no zombie attacks resulting in human lunch, I'm getting antsy for the gore factor to get turned up. The zombie they hacked up (nice job on that scene
)got more of a character development than most of the human survivors have so far.

Like I said, I really am enjoying it, but it's not quite meeting the expectation level I had built up for it so far. Bring on Week 3!

Ian

Reaction score

I don't have AMC either,but get the episodes from amazon.com . It's 3.00 per,but it works for me since I can't stay up that late because of work.

Reaction score

Another good episode. The third one looks even better.

Reaction score

Ian_C said:
We don't get the show at all here in Canada.
I get it. Channel 293 on Bell Express Vu.
I like it so far but they really need more character development. I could careless if any of them get eaten at this point.

I just finished reading the Zombie Survival Guide as well by Max Brooks and there are quite a few Hollywood fallacies as well, haha. The one zombie using a rock to smash the window, come on!

Reaction score

so pretty much everyone just wants to watch people get eaten by zombies?

KevinA said:
I just finished reading the Zombie Survival Guide as well by Max Brooks and there are quite a few Hollywood fallacies as well, haha. The one zombie using a rock to smash the window, come on!
see that's were the show fails with basic background. stuff like that was explained in the comics. they seem to have a very basic memory of things, why else would the dead wife try to use the doorknob in the first episode?

Reaction score

wolfdog51 said:
I don't have AMC either,but get the episodes from amazon.com . It's 3.00 per,but it works for me since I can't stay up that late because of work.
There are other ways that are free.

KevinA said:
Ian_C said:
We don't get the show at all here in Canada.
I get it. Channel 293 on Bell Express Vu.
Ahhh, satellite. I have digital cable, and none of the hundreds of channels available to me carry it.

medic62812 said:
so pretty much everyone just wants to watch people get eaten by zombies?
Why else do you watch a zombie show/film? You can get survival plots in plenty of non-zombie sources, and while a strong combination of plot and character development will hold viewers weekly, it's likely not the reason they tuned in/read the comic the first time. The zombie effects are top-notch (with Greg Nicotero in charge, how could they not be?), but again, without the bloody mayhem, a key ingredient in the genre is missing.

Obviously if it was just zombies eating people, there is limited substance to that. I'm just saying it's a key component that so far has been extremely limited. Not knowing the backstory in the comic, any one of those department store survivors outside of Dixon could have been sacrificed (I'm sure there is a setup there for him in a future episode).

KevinA said:
see that's were the show fails with basic background. stuff like that was explained in the comics. they seem to have a very basic memory of things, why else would the dead wife try to use the doorknob in the first episode?

[/QUOTE]

I have no issues with a zombie using a rock. Best example of memory retention of their previous life in a zombie movie is Day of the Dead. It was a major plot point, and even created one of the most memorable zombies ever onscreen in Bub. It was also touched on in Dawn of the Dead as a reason they flocked to the mall. The whole 'scent of a zombie' twist last night was different, but otherwise the zombie behavior has been pretty much consistent with other examples in the genre to this point.

Ian

Reaction score

Ian_C said:
Not knowing the backstory in the comic, any one of those department store survivors outside of Dixon could have been sacrificed (I'm sure there is a setup there for him in a future episode).
Ian
like Rick stuck in the tank, this whole sequence was made for tv. glen yelled to rick to follow him and get to the rooftop. buncha roofjumping later, they got down and broke for the treeline.

it's almost like the zombies are just a background threat. it could happen at any time but the surviving people are a bigger threat to each other than the dead.

Reaction score

So far so good, each episode leaves me wanting more. Can't wait to see what Rick does when he reunites with his ***** wife and backstabbing partner!

Reaction score

So I managed to find Episode 2 via an unscrupulous website that is streaming it. Seems like its going to be a good series. I just hope this website keeps getting the episodes.

Reaction score

DSIILuke said:
Can't wait to see what Rick does when he reunites with his ***** wife and backstabbing partner!
Oh yaeh, me too!

Reaction score

GREAT OFFICIAL NEWS:http://io9.com/5684850/walking-dead-gets-a-second-season-twice-as-long-as-the-first

So, I really dug Guts! I had a little issue with them constantly standing in sight of the department store windows when they all seemed to be well aware that their very presence would rile the hell out of the walkers. But that’s a minor gripe. There were a couple moments during the department store interior scenes when I kinda felt the way I did so many years ago when I watched the original Dawn of the Dead… And that’s not a bad thing. Bring on "Tell it to the Frogs"!!

Reaction score

Does anyone know how long the cop guy was actually in the hospital for?.I'm thinking at least a few months, but I might have missed the part where they explained it.

Reaction score

love this show... was a huge fan of the comic books and now to have a live action show it's even better... the special effects and makeup look amazing....

Reaction score

DSIILuke said:
So far so good, each episode leaves me wanting more. Can't wait to see what Rick does when he reunites with his ***** wife and backstabbing partner!
dude, you have no idea, hopefully they follow the comic....

Reaction score

Todd_F said:
GREAT OFFICIAL NEWS:http://io9.com/5684850/walking-dead-gets-a-second-season-twice-as-long-as-the-first

So, I really dug Guts! I had a little issue with them constantly standing in sight of the department store windows when they all seemed to be well aware that their very presence would rile the hell out of the walkers. But that’s a minor gripe. There were a couple moments during the department store interior scenes when I kinda felt the way I did so many years ago when I watched the original Dawn of the Dead… And that’s not a bad thing. Bring on "Tell it to the Frogs"!!
great news indeed!

Reaction score

boff123 said:
DSIILuke said:
dude, you have no idea, hopefully they follow the comic....
I was reading somewhere that in an episode rick "makes an ultimate sacrafice" maybe he leaves Shane for the zombies or something.

Really glad to hear that AMC picked it up for a second season.

Reaction score

jedijaysin said:
Does anyone know how long the cop guy was actually in the hospital for?.I'm thinking at least a few months, but I might have missed the part where they explained it.
I want to say 3 weeks but I cannot find anything to confirm that nor do I remember where I read or heard that. Based on the lack of overgrown vegetation I'd say that's a fairly accurate guess. However, some of the ghouls do look pretty decomposed.

Reaction score

I was thinking a week or two going off Rick's facial hair when he woke up. The vegetation is another good point.

Ian

Reaction score

It can't really be that long. I'm no doctor but wouldn't he dehydrate or starve without his IV being refilled after a couple of days?

Reaction score

im pretty curious about the time line myself. it couldnt have been too long because there would have been no one there to take care of him, but at the same time i would hope it would take more than a few weeks for something to completely decimate society.
also if it has liteally only been a few weeks then my opinion of his wife is instantly much worse.

Reaction score

Well after just two episodes this, in my opinion, is the best show on TV, followed closely by Family Guy and Dexter. I just hate waiting a whole week for another episode.

Reaction score

I agree inferior10. I think TWD is the best show too. It's nice to see someone thinking outside the box with a new show instead of regurgitating the same old ideas over and over again. I'm probably a bit bias anyway as I'm a HUGE zombie fan.

Reaction score

The show just keeps getting better and better

I totally called the whole "meat suit" part, very original (wonder why directors haven't used it in the past). Glad that racist guy got his come upins in the end

Reaction score

But their gonna save Senor McRacist in the third episode judging by the preview, so I'd say he got his temporary come upins. I'd also say he will manage to get the cuffs off some how and get Rick with one of the tools the black guy dropped.

Reaction score

Mildoo said:
But their gonna save Senor McRacist in the third episode judging by the preview,
Plus, he's played by the AWESOME Michael Rooker. You can't get rid of Michael F'n Rooker after one episode!

Reaction score

Mildoo said:
But their gonna save Senor McRacist in the third episode judging by the preview,
Plus, he's played by the AWESOME Michael Rooker. You can't get rid of Michael F'n Rooker after one episode!