AMC's Fear The Walking Dead

Reaction score
I've been waiting for the criticisms, since I've been discussing the same thing all week on the FB groups, lol. I truly feel people aren't paying full attention to what they're watching (on both shows), as I have had absolutely no trouble figuring out the differing time jumps, etc.

First of all, if those big white letters on a black background before a scene ("BEFORE", for example) aren't enough, then surely the cinematography should do the trick? If it's full color, it's a flashback scene. If it's washed out with grey, it's "current" timeline. Can it get any easier than that?

Why the time jumps? Well, because it fits the narrative. They needed to bring the timeline up to date to allow for Morgan, yet there is clearly a backstory to this season they want to fill us in on. Clearly, something major is going to happen to Madison, since she is neither seen nor mentioned in any current scene. That is obviously going to be a highlight of the mid-season finale, where her fate is revealed. Is she dead, a prisoner, or possibly even working with the Vultures? We don't know, although it's unlikely she switched sides and left Alicia to die. Also, they have new cast that is important to the timeline they're mostly involved in to this point. If they do a linear storyline, all the new cast members and Morgan don't appear until very late in the season, if not after the mid-season episodes. If they stick to the current timeline, there is just too much backstory they want to tell to cram it all into an episode or two. They do that, and we don't care who Mel is, we're not invested in the heartbreak John Dorie feels at the thought Naomi is dead, nor her apparent betrayal by working cooperatively the Vultures. Trust me, the complaints if they went with a linear story would far outweigh the criticisms of the timeline jumps.

Why were Alicia and company acting that way to John and Morgan each time? The first time, they are clearly not trusting any strangers, and that's exactly what they were when they first met, as if they expect anyone they encounter to be with the Vultures. The rest of this season has been slowly explaining how they got to that point. Anyway, my question about people not paying attention can be shown in that next question about this past week's episode. Last time they were all together, John had said he was going off on his own after the grief of Naomi's supposed death. Morgan went with him, because he gets where he's coming from. Alicia would not have expected to see them at the Vultures's meeting spot, because they weren't there to see the map showing where it was. They would have had NO idea John would have found a Vulture, and in his refusal to accept Naomi's death, demanded to know where he would find the Vultures next. To address the question of what their plan was, obviously it was intended to be an ambush, since they were hiding when John and Morgan showed up. Because they had no reason to expect them there, Alicia and company immediately assumed that John and Morgan were with the Vultures the entire time, as their initial contact with them suggested was the case. That's why they reacted the way they did. However, while having their standoff, the rest of the Vultures showed up, which blew their ambush, and led to the standoff against Mel we got.

That was hard to figure out if you had paid attention?

John is almost certainly not going to die. Did anyone see any blood after that rifle hit him square in the chest? He's injured, but he'll live. Probably due to that Scrabble tin, or he could have taken a non-fatal hit that Naomi, being a nurse, can fix up. In any event, he's going nowhere any time soon. I was expecting the question to be, why did Alicia shoot John? It clearly wasn't intentional, as she got emotional at seeing Naomi driving that car and fired at her, which strongly leads one to speculate Naomi betrayed them consciously. John just got in the way and took the bullet.

Is Naomi a Vulture? Well, she was driving the car Madison made Alicia pack up and hide away in case an emergency evacuation was needed. That means she either turned against them and took it, or she was an opportunist and was simply trying to get away rather than get killed in the stadium. She was in direct communication with Mel through that walkie talkie though, so she's cooperating with them. The only question is whether it's by her choice, or if Mel is holding something on her and forcing her hand. I have zero problems with having to wait another episode or two to get that answer, as it will clearly tie in to the final battle at the stadium and the fate of Madison.

As for Nick, it's fair to be upset he's gone - but don't blame the show, or worse, Gimple, for that. Frank Dillane asked to leave the show last season. They had to find a way to write him out. One benefit of the split timeline is that they could give that shock death of his early in the season, but he's still on the show in the "before" scenes. That plot twist was entirely the actor's doing though, as everyone behind the scenes has agreed they did not want to kill off Nick.

Finally, this season seems so different - because it IS different. Ratings dropped from 6-7 million average in Season 1 to 4 million in Season 2 and around 2 million for Season 3. By NOT changing the direction, the show would have zero chance of surviving past Season 4, and it's worked, as ratings have rebounded a bit so far. Morgan was brought in almost certainly to add a known main cast member to the show to hopefully spike interest. To do so, meant they were forced to adjust the timelines so they could logically cross over. That's why we have the current direction the show has taken.

I'm still convinced they've mostly given up on Fear, and this crossover is just so they can kill most of the cast and then have a couple of characters cross back onto the main show. I also still believe someone on Fear (Madison or Naomi are most likely) will become the comic character Alpha. This would either eventually make Alicia or Charlie the Lydia character. I explained how that could work in a spoiler post a couple of weeks ago.

Ian

Reaction score
nothing you have just explained changes much...you are acting like we didn't understand WHY they were doing the different time lines. I think most just feel they are doing a poor job at it like they do on the main show (just **** poor writing). We were saying they need to connect these timelines sooner rather than later.

If they wanted to ambush the vultures, why not actual ambush them? they just ran out to an open area with no cover....why no hide and dig in, then you can truly ambush them. Instead they ran out there and got caught with their pants down.

Nobody was blaming the show once they realized Frank wanted out.

Who cares about ratings when the season you just wrapped up was one of the best....they didn't change the story this drastically to improve ratings, to me it seems like they realized Frank wanted out and had to come up with a way to tell that story, so scrap the whole original outlines for this season and start over and bring in Morgan (who's been pretty meh on this show) to help keep interest

Reaction score
This weeks episode was a bit confusing, I hope they tie up the before/after time lines for next week's mid-saeson final. All signs point to Madison dying but could it could be too obvious?

Reaction score
Just watched episode 5 Laura and wow, that was some amazing writing. John Dorie is my new favorite character. FTWD is by far the superior show. I was worried about Morgan joining the Fear and now I can honestly say I am glad he made the change.

Reaction score
While I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new direction and new characters of FEAR, the mid-season finale was an insanely brutal gut punch that I mistakenly thought I was prepared for. It is difficult to comprehend what this show will mean to me going forward now that my favorite character is gone. :eek: :( :'(

Reaction score
While I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new direction and new characters of FEAR, the mid-season finale was an insanely brutal gut punch that I mistakenly thought I was prepared for. It is difficult to comprehend what this show will mean to me going forward now that my favorite character is gone. :eek: :( :'(
I really hope that they don't do a Glenn thing with this character. I think the way it was handled was great and the character should be left to this ending.

Reaction score
The episode was incredible though. Perhaps my favorite episode of the entire series to date. That character went out in the perfect way too.

Amazing where the show is going 3 1/2 seasons in, compared to when it first premiered. This was the review of the very first episode.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/fear-walking-dead-tv-review-813209

So much for this show being about the struggles of the Clark family in LA. I went back and looked at a bunch of posts after it debuted, and many of us (myself included) felt that if the family suffered any casualties, it would be Alicia. o-o I guess we all got that wrong.

I posted a few weeks back that I think AMC has given up on the show, and will kill off most of the cast before merging what's left with the main show. I still think that is the plan (and ratings have dropped with each episode so far, with last week's under 2 million). I'm still not convinced we don't have the beginnings of the Whisperers here (and won't give up on that idea until Charlie is dead, or they are revealed to be different characters on the main show), but I now also think we just might be seeing Alicia turning into the Magna character, and those that survive this season will be the rest of Magna's group.

Looking forward to the second half...

Ian

Reaction score
I really hope that they don't do a Glenn thing with this character. I think the way it was handled was great and the character should be left to this ending.
Nope. Talking Dead confirmed it. Huge sendoff for the character, and everyone including the actor confirmed that was it. No dumpster. No Daniel surviving a burning building. Nothing like that at all.

Ian

Reaction score
I was never really a big fan of Madison and it was sorta telegraphed in the first episode this season so it wasn't that much of a shock. I felt her acting was really poor in this episode too. I am glad the time jumps will be over when it returns in August. Nick was my favorite character with Alicia right behind. Her character kept getting better and better last season and now she is my favorite. It will be interesting to see what role June and John take in the back half of the season. Will they stay with Alicia/Strand/Luci or will they go on their own with Morgan possibly joining them? I am still not sure what to think of Morgan coming over to Fear. It doesn't seem to be paying off yet the way I thought it could. I still don't understand why they still have Charlie amongst them...I don't think they should have killed her but I wouldn't trust her if she was going to be traveling with me.

Ian, I don't know too much about the Whisperers arc but I am interested to see if your idea comes through, although I don't think they would merge the two shows, if anything with Rick/Maggie leaving I think that opens AMC up to adding more spin offs in the TWD world.

Reaction score
Speaking of Daniel I hope the back half of the season finds him alive and well, or at least find out his fate after the dam explosion.

Great season I enjoyed it.

Reaction score
There's something about this first half that just didn't feel right. The time jump thing really didnt work for me very much, and the video recording explanation at the end felt contrived. I would've rather watched the season in sequential order, even if it meant Morgan jumping in at episode 4 or 5. The whole thing felt contrived, just to get Morgan in the season premiere.

Hopefully it will get better now that everyone's together in the same story.

Reaction score
Since we never actually saw Madison die I thought there might have been a misdirect but I am glad there's not and she went out the way she did.
I didn't loathe the time jumps but was not a fan of them either so I look forward to getting back to linear storytelling.

Reaction score
Wow, they really managed to goof this show up in one season! I get that Nick wanted out but then to go kill ANOTHER main character? Morgan was useless and John and Al are lame. I went from talking this show up over the main TWD, and now I'm not sure I'll even watch next year.

I feel like it could be argued that this is what happens when you take Gimple on in ANY capacity...

Reaction score
I still don't trust Gimple in the fact that Madison is "Officially" dead... I can see him coming up with something like she survived or worse yet have Travis all of sudden show up and be all like I didn't know if I would ever find you.

Reaction score
Madison is coming back as a cyborg.

If she is dead, she got the only death I could've accepted for Rick at this point in the shows run. Dying for the survival of their children.

Reaction score
Finally caught the mid-season finale. I throughly enjoyed the episode. The intense fear for the lives of these characters is what makes this show far superior to the original. I really liked the time jumps so far this season and it worked extremely well in telling the story.

Infusing fresh faces is what is pushing this show along. Bravo.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Also very happy with the direction of the show, the new characters (yay Al and the SWAT vehicle, and I've liked Morgan here), and the Vultures were a nice variant on the typical threat, sort of scavengers with the Dead as weaponry.

Reaction score
nice episode last night to launch the show for the second half of the season. I'm curious to see where the show goes from here and if this is setting up the ultimate crossover or meet-up with TWD.

Reaction score
It was an okay episode. I thought it was a little strange what the characters were doing after the mid-season. It was also nice to see Chris back, and he was genuinely happy to be back too. I now want to see that Donald Glover episode of Talking that they took off the air right after.

Reaction score
Lots of table setting for the rest of the season last night. It was nice to see the weather affecting the zombies for the first time ever in this franchise, even if towards the end it looked like the extras where just trampolining into the side of the van. It's clearly gonna be up to Morgan to fix these broken people and make them whole, so I doubt he's going back home anytime soon.

The show was renewed for season 5, so unless they're gonna reboot it again with a new cast, after they rebooted it just to bring Morgan in, it's definitely going to take Morgan longer than a quick montage for him to travel back to Alexandria.

Reaction score
nice episode to start midseason, but seriously, right after the introsequence, my first thought that popped into my mind was :
ooooh, walker-nado :) :) :)

Reaction score
nice episode to start midseason, but seriously, right after the introsequence, my first thought that popped into my mind was :
ooooh, walker-nado :) :) :)
well since Sharknado is coming to close this Sunday with Sharknado 6... maybe Syfy will come up with Zombienado or something.

Reaction score
I have to assume the everyone completely missed the SyFy series Z-Nation. If you want weird zombie occurrences this is your show.

Coz

Reaction score
I have to assume the everyone completely missed the SyFy series Z-Nation. If you want weird zombie occurrences this is your show.
I watched it and enjoyed it very much. All kinds of crazy zombie types. I loved the zombie tumble weed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
second episode in and I'm getting tired of Alicia... not sure if I want her to go or not but the last episode was just interesting to see how her character is developing but also meh too as it's the same angry whiny version

Reaction score
it's Charlie that I am tired of, and with this episode it kinda dragged the character of Alicia down...the episode was really good until Charlie showed up. Why was she inside the house while there were 4 undead inside? How did she manage to get all the way upstairs without them trying to attack her? The zombie in the tree magically falling on the basement door and breaking the pad lock was just more poor writing.

Reaction score
this episode was bad

looks like they're gonna do the lame split everyone up for half a season before reuniting thing again here.

They're probably going to spend the whole half season getting everyone to like each other, kill off Strand or Luciana, and at the end they'll head off to Alexandria. The way the ratings have been declining will probably force them to make Season 5 the last one before they ship off any surviving characters to TWD for season 10 if the cast wants to join another sinking ship.

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't enjoy that episode at all. It was covering the same ground that's been covered in TWD before. This could've easily been Carol and Enid stuck in the house, with nary a script change. The more I watch this season, the more I hate that they time-jumped. Season 2 was so good! Different environment, different timeline - they're still learning how to survive and hanging onto the old world. Now it's just more of the same stuff we've already gotten in TWD circa season 4/season 5.

Reaction score
Did we really need a scene showing us Morgan taking a dump?

Behold The Walking Dead franchise's nadir!

Spoiler:  

That's just his shirt by the way.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That episode was horrible! wth is going on with this half of the season?
-Morgan can sleep for over 400 miles in the back of a semi and not wake up?
-Jimbo goes on and on about beer
-So predictable, just knew the people who tied and hooded Jimbo up would be Sarah and Wendell
-Jimbo tripping and falling into Morgan to eventually cause Morgan to be trapped on top of a car, which walkers all of a sudden can't climb? We've seen them climb before....

ugh....

Reaction score
This show has me so freaking confused anymore. I don't even know where to begin, what with all the timelines jumping around, etc. What, are they now going to have Morgan bring the whole Fear crew back to Alexandria for the final season?If I did not have so much time invested, I'd jump, but at this point, I just need to see how they try and redeem themselves.....if they even can.

Reaction score
I enjoyed the first half of the season, but man this second batch has been such a bore because of Gimple's favorite storytelling tool. You can tell he had more to input in this second batch of episodes because everyone is split up again, the episodes are running past an hour when they could stand to be shorter for what's being accomplished in the episode. If the series keeps going like this just announce that season five will be the last and be done with it. 5 seasons is a respectable run.

Reaction score
This episode was better than the last few. At least there was some character building. But still, the whole premise of this half is just a WTF. The zombie lady is also something we've seen before in TWD. Crazy bad people that look bad. There's nothing new here.

You can't kill off your star and the best character on the show and think you can still make something out of it just because you brought in someone from the other show.

Reaction score
I don't think these episodes are terrible but they are certainly lazy retreads from seasons past from this and the flagship shows. Last season really set the bar high especially compared to how lazy TWD had become.

Reaction score
I'm seriously starting to wonder where FTWD is going with this new cast and story. although the crocodile in the recent episode was good the rest again was meh.