AMC's Fear The Walking Dead

Reaction score
Technically everyone is infected remember so if anyone in an isolated community dies, even if they can't be reached easily by the dead, they would be creating their own. If they were hyper vigilant however it might work for a while I suppose.
True, but wasn't it the government that created the virus? That could mean only the States has it. Or that it is more widespread there. But what about some remote village, that doesn't see foreigners? And as I said earlier, other Countries.

But isn't that why spin-off's are created, just so that they can rehash earlier storylines? :grin:

Reaction score
As far as has been revealed we have no idea how it started, bio-weapon, virus that evolved, something from outer space…we have not been told. It could very well be that only the US had it or that it started there. I would imagine though that in the age of constant contact between countries that most of the world was infected. And we don't know how long it might have been incubating, could have been years which means if it is easily transmissible it probably did spread worldwide. But you never know I suppose.

I hope this is NOT why they are creating this spin-off!

Last edited:
Reaction score
As far as has been revealed we have no idea how it started, bio-weapon, virus that evolved, something from outer space…we have not been told. It could very well be that only the US had it or that it started there. I would imagine though that in the age of constant contact between countries that most of the world was infected. And we don't know how long it might have been incubating, could have been years which means if it is easily transmissible it probably did spread worldwide. But you never know I suppose.

I hope this is NOT why they are creating this spin-off!
Didn't Dr. Jenner from the CDC mention something about the French being the ones who held out the longest while everyone else was abandoning their posts? So, obviously the virus made it to Europe.

I would assume that it was an airborne virus, which would be the easiest way to explain how everyone in the world got infected.

Reaction score
Yeah, you're right he did, totally forgot about that.

Reaction score
True, but wasn't it the government that created the virus?
In both the show AND the comic, they have not addressed what caused it. Robert Kirkman has said the cause is not a focal point, only how people are surviving the aftermath.

I don't care much what form the new show takes. If they give it as much effort as they put into the parent show, it can only be great. My only wish is that it NOT be in either New York or L.A. Those two cities are the setting for far too many shows and movies. I have nothing against the cities themselves, it's just it's now a cliche that so many movies/shows have to be located there. One of the most refreshing things about the current show is its Georgia setting. If the new show has to be in the US (I think an overseas location would be fascinating, but I understand it lessens the appeal to the general public over here), I would like to see it maybe in the Midwest, or Oregon. Something way out of the ordinary.

Ian

Reaction score
Just give me some "snow" Walkers.

Waits for inevitable picture of AT-AT.

Reaction score
I have always wanted them to show walkers in the snow.

Reaction score
In the comic wasn't there an issue or two where they addressed what would happen to them in sub-zero temperatures? Didn't it slow them down due to a lack of or very weak circulatory system?

(or maybe I'm thinking of something from one of the novels)

Last edited:
Reaction score
In the comic wasn't there an issue or two where they addressed what would happen to them in sub-zero temperatures? Didn't it slow them down due to a lack of or very weak circulatory system?

(or maybe I'm thinking of something from one of the novels)
You are correct, there were a few issues of the comic in which the walkers froze and were crunchy and slow.

Reaction score
There was an article on Cracked.com a while back that gave 7 scientific reasons that a zombie apocalypse would fail and fail quickly. I'm sure most people here have already read it, but just in case...

Here's the article (some minor language):
7 Scientific Reasons a Zombie Outbreak Would Fail (Quickly) | Cracked.com

Here's the portion that talks about the effect cold weather would have on zombies:
#5. They Can't Handle the Cold

Zombies are dead meat. No arguing that; it's their one defining characteristic. But everybody focuses on that "dead" part like it's such a huge deal. They often forget about the "meat." Do you know what else is dead meat? Steak, hamburger, possibly even that red grease mush inside of Taco Bell food.

Look at it.
When flesh is alive, it's got all sorts of defense systems to keep it that way. When it's dead, you have to throw it away in about a week even if you seal it up in plastic and keep it at a carefully modulated temperature. Now, your first inclination may be to think of cold as dead meat's friend, after all, the surest way to defeat that week-long deadline is to freeze steak, keeping it fresh for months. But don't forget: Unregulated cold does awful **** to formerly living things. If you live far enough north, the zombie apocalypse will probably work itself out the first time it tries to go outside. The first zombie-killer is the simple fact that the human body is mostly water, and water freezes. Once the temperature drops to freezing (or near it with a high wind chill), zombies will become significantly more rigid.

No word on them transforming into snow monsters.
After enough exposure, a dead body is going to be frozen solid and not chasing down any screaming victims, no matter how delicious and Rascal Scooter-bound they might be. It's also safe to assume that zombies wandering around in a wintry wonderland are not going to be wrapped air-tight in plastic like we do with food, so freezer burn becomes an issue. Seriously. The same thing that ruins your ice cream also ruins the Undead Onslaught. The freezing of the flesh at night, combined with partial thaw during warmer days, then refreezing again sets up the perfect conditions for the onset of freezer burn, which results in the cells dehydrating as water evaporates, even when frozen solid. Freezer burned meat isn't just dead, it's destroyed.

Read more: 7 Scientific Reasons a Zombie Outbreak Would Fail (Quickly) | Cracked.com
So, if you are really worried about a zombie apocalypse actually happening, then it might be time to pack up and move to North Dakota. :)

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
As I stated in the other thread, disappointed. This was their chance to really propel the story in a unique setting. And we get LA? Bah! They took the way too easy way out on this folks.

Reaction score
LA? Bull ****.

I have no issues with the city itself - just tired of so many shows/movies being set there.

Lame.

Ian

Reaction score
I don't know, I'm not going to dismiss it just yet. Like someone said, it isn't going to be set in forests so it won't feel like a total repeat of what we've already got. Plus there might just be some use of the ocean by survivors to keep themselves safe. There are some interesting possibilities, maybe they don't stay in LA, maybe they go north up the coast, maybe they get visitors from across the ocean with tales of what went down in Japan etc. But I will admit there is a part of me that wonders if this wasn't done so a lot of LA types could end up doing zombie cameos!

Reaction score
I always enjoyed episodes of the original series set in urban areas. This sounds interesting. LA, Vancouver, Atlanta, Chicago, Cleveland. . . . An urban area is an urban area in my eyes.

Reaction score
Well i was interested in how it would go down in a big City location, and how someone would navigate such place in that situation. I'm a little sad that it's in LA, would have prefered someplace less high profile. Or as I mention earlier, outside the U.S.

Reaction score
While I'm not really pleased with Cali, it does offer some wildly differing landscapes; big city, urban sprawl, coastal, valleys, mountains, etc. The cinematography has got some serious potential imho. Guess we'll have to wait and see what they do with it all. Overall though, TOS has given us some pretty beautiful stuff from urban and rural Georgia, so I guess I'm at least a smidgeon optimistic.

Reaction score
what would be a better ("unique") location? Not sure why its such a big deal

Reaction score
what would be a better ("unique") location? Not sure why its such a big deal
Because it's overdone, and practically a movie/TV cliche.

Hollywood would have you believe that 99% of all plots happen only in LA or NY. While I know there is plenty they can do in those locations, quite frankly it's a case of "been there, done that" to death. I like the idea of taking outside the US, but I am completely aware that would cost the show US viewers if it did so (sadly). So why not a different large US city like Portland? St. Louis? Dallas? You could still get the large urban scenery, but avoid the trappings of the typical LA based show. You just know we'll be seeing clips of Hollywood, Mann's Chinese Theater, Beverly Hills, and all the other well known locations. Do we want to see walkers in Disneyland? A dozen celebrity walker cameos, that would only serve to be a distraction to the show itself? Sure, they might be cool, but for me, one of the coolest parts of Walking Dead is seeing events unfold in an area that I can identify with but am not overly familiar with at the same time.

Ian

Reaction score
I get people's misgivings about the location but ultimately if the stories are good and if there is an original use of the location, filming in lesser known parts of the area, I don't see any problem…yet. I mean, ultimately this apocalypse happened everywhere so it did happen in LA and New York too, showing us what happened there isn't weird, we've had some of Atlanta but we've mostly been in rural Georgia. Focusing in on a large coastal city seems like a fine choice to me. If it does start (or flashback) to the early days, maybe we'll even get a different insight into what happened to the government etc. And I seriously wonder if there will be any visits by people from other nations across the ocean. And do we yet know if they will stay in LA? Or does it only start there with them heading out from there to northern or southern directions perhaps ending up in Seattle or Portland. But ultimately, if the writing is solid and the characters great, I could care less if it was LA, New York, Paris, Tokyo or Toronto.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So since the setting is LA, the group is basically going to consist of gangbangers. Since they'll be the only ones armed well enough for such a problem, and have no problems shooting anyone.

Reaction score
So since the setting is LA, the group is basically going to consist of gangbangers. Since they'll be the only ones armed well enough for such a problem, and have no problems shooting anyone.

You sure you have the right term there?

My idea of a gangbanger is certainly a group of guys who don't mind "shooting" on anyone, but with a far different "gun" than I think you're thinking of.

Ian

Reaction score
I read that the main group is pretty much school faculty and their families.

Reaction score
While LA in some sense is kind of lazy, it does present some interesting alternatives, being so close to the ocean. My first thought is find a pier, peninsula, or island and lock it down, creating a pretty strong home base. Another option is finding a boat or ship and heading to Catalina.

Reaction score
Like the Vatos? :p Those gangbangers didn't fare so well. I'd love to see Guillermo again, aaaaand since we never saw his corpse...... :hmm:

Reaction score
Because it's overdone, and practically a movie/TV cliche.

Hollywood would have you believe that 99% of all plots happen only in LA or NY. While I know there is plenty they can do in those locations, quite frankly it's a case of "been there, done that" to death. I like the idea of taking outside the US, but I am completely aware that would cost the show US viewers if it did so (sadly). So why not a different large US city like Portland? St. Louis? Dallas? You could still get the large urban scenery, but avoid the trappings of the typical LA based show. You just know we'll be seeing clips of Hollywood, Mann's Chinese Theater, Beverly Hills, and all the other well known locations. Do we want to see walkers in Disneyland? A dozen celebrity walker cameos, that would only serve to be a distraction to the show itself? Sure, they might be cool, but for me, one of the coolest parts of Walking Dead is seeing events unfold in an area that I can identify with but am not overly familiar with at the same time.

Ian
fair enough....I was just curious what the nits with it were. I guess Im just more willing to wait and see what the storyline looks like before getting down on it. I do get what youre saying, its not like they didnt have their pick of anywhere on the planet. Personally, I dont think the location will shape the storyline that much in a stereotypical way...sure ToS has a small share of rednecks (back off, Rebelscum PC police) but its not like they are overwhelming to the story. And its not like we've seen much focus on Atlanta, so maybe we'll get some "gratuitous" shots,episodes and then the action will move to lesser known backgrounds

Reaction score
I like the idea of taking outside the US, but I am completely aware that would cost the show US viewers if it did so (sadly).
I think it has more to do with this being a TV show that doesn't have an unlimited budget. Are there any basic cable TV shows that film outside the US?

I'm a bit disappointed by the choice of LA, but I'm keeping an open mind.

Reaction score
L.A. doesn't bother me and likewise I only see it as a starting point, I have no reason to believe they will just stay in the middle a huge crowded city full of walkers for ever. I was really hoping for a foreign location though and there is something about Australia that I think would have been really interesting. but I think that's partially because I have liked a lot of Australian and new Zealand films through the years. seeing walkabout when I was younger, and watching films like the quiet earth and dogs in space as a teen in the 80s. well and of course the mad max films I guess. perhaps some of us americans would like to see some interesting lovely and foreign to us scenery for a change, of course to me a big city like L.A. is those things.

I also think it could have been really cool set in south America, seeing survivors of over filled dangerous shanty towns trying to get out alive, and seeing those awesome gigantic forests full of swallowed up old ruins and collapsed civilizations. a group of young streetwise orphan teens, it could be very sad but very compelling. as long as no one is doing BJJ on walkers.

they could do one on one of those small pacific islands where the elder of the group ends up being one of those old WWII Japanese soldiers hiding out thinking the war is still on. just joking about that one.

I think it has more to do with this being a TV show that doesn't have an unlimited budget. Are there any basic cable TV shows that film outside the US?

I'm a bit disappointed by the choice of LA, but I'm keeping an open mind.
I thought they filmed most show actually about new York and l.a. and Chicago and big cities in Canada because it was cheaper. at least that's what I recall a lot of them doing a few years back.

Reaction score
Since it is not being set in Australia, my dream of seeing the lead singer of the band Midnight Oil, Peter Garrett, as a walker has been destroyed. Somewhere, beds are burning.

Last edited:
Reaction score
they could do one on one of those small pacific islands where the elder of the group ends up being one of those old WWII Japanese soldiers hiding out thinking the war is still on. just joking about that one.
also if they did this then I wouldn't have a tantrum about the character having a katana.

GNT

Reaction score
Kim Dickens Takes Female Lead in The Walking Dead Spinoff

Deadline is reporting that veteran character actress Kim Dickens -who recently made waves for her role as a police detective in Gone Girl- has taken the lead female role opposite Cliff Curtis in AMC’s “The Walking Dead” companion series.
As previously reported, the female lead will be a guidance counselor who is in a relationship with a divorced teacher (Curtis). Frank Dillane and Alycia Debnam Carey are playing her children from a previous marriage, and Dickens’ character will have a dark past which comes back to haunt her. Unlike its Georgia-set predecessor, the spinoff show (nicknamed “Cobalt”) will take place in Los Angeles during the same zombie outbreak.
Besides her plum role in this year’s Gone Girl, Kim Dickens has appeared as a series regular on HBO shows “Treme” and “Deadwood,” and will also play a key role in the upcoming third season of Netflix’s “House of Cards.” Her film work includes memorable roles in Zero Effect, Thank You For Smoking, The Blind Side and the Footloose remake.

Co-created by Robert Kirkman and Dave Erickson, the series will take place in the same zombie apocalypse depicted in “The Walking Dead” albeit in a different location and potentially at a different point in time. Erickson will serve as the showrunner for the new series which will be executive produced by Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd and David Alpert. Adam Davidson will direct the series.

GNT

Reaction score
I just hope it's just as successful as the original series.

Reaction score
Cool, so maybe around mid August, if they want it to lead into the Season 6 premiere of TWD. I just hope they don't simply call this series TWD:LA.
That would make the most sense. I don't like the name TWD:LA either, however I really like "Fear The Walking Dead." After all, its taking place at the start of the Apocalypse.

IMDB lists it as Fear The Walking Dead as well. I don't think its set in stone yet though.

Reaction score
Just got an email from Skybound, Kirkman's company, and it said the new show is scheduled to start late summer with 6 episodes. Season two will start in 2016.

Edit:
opps! All this info has already been posted. Got excited there for a moment!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd be on board if it takes place in another country like the UK or Russia or even a sort of prequel that begins right before the outbreak then follows through it. I'm not talking a whole season before the outbreak but maybe 3 or 4 episode then let all hell break loose.

Reaction score
Well unless they get a boat or plane or something it has been revealed it is in L.A.