AMC's Fear The Walking Dead

Reaction score
Heh...I was about to post this here - in The Walking Dead thread. Not sure if this needs it's own thread.

I'm really not happy about this spin off development. Not. One. Bit.

Reaction score
Man, I thought you'd be REAL psyched about that!

I have faith in AMC. Like, I believe Agents of Shield will suck because big network shows are corny and lame. But a TWD spinoff from AMC sounds a lot more promising...

Reaction score
I'm with Beek on this one. I don't want things to get overexposed. Too much of a good thing sometimes isn't a good thing. I will give it a try, but I am not holding my breath.

Maybe this is a way to move away from the original show and make a move to the big screen? Who knows . . .

Reaction score
I have a feeling they would air this new series during the breaks the original takes, that way AMC can keep getting those high ratings year round.

Reaction score
I am excited but very sacred about this. I agree it could be a very good choice or could suck something terrible. I do think it would be better the way it is. I have high hopes from Robert because if anyone can do it, it's him. I guess only time will tell.

Reaction score
It really depends, to me, on the "hook" they use to explain the basis for a new show. If it's simply another group of survivors doing similar things to the current WD crew... then it could be hard to get the casual fans involved and would risk wearing people out since they'd be seeing essentially the same things over and over again. As new characters are introduced in the current series - casual fans could feel "out of the loop" if another series starts and they start losing track of who's who.

To me they need to do something unique - like maybe following a medical team holed up somewhere trying to develop a cure or something (without it feeling like a copy of WWZ) or even a military unit.

Clearly in a the world where WD exists there are many many others dealing with the outbreak so they can tell plenty of stories that don't affect the existing WD storyline... but it just seems like it would be too much "we've already seen this" if it's just another group encountering zombies and evil survivors. I'd almost rather see them do one-off episodes where you follow single stories that wrap up within the hour - similar to the webisodes where we watched what took place in the storage unit, or how the female half-zombie Rick encountered came to be. Those little single story episodes would augment the existing series vs. potentially watering things down.

Reaction score
I've said it before, but I want another group, in New York or somewhere with snow in the winter. Add the challenge of surviving in nature to the "undead hunting you" aspect.

I'm referring to rural, like the current series, but you could also do Manhattan and the challenge of the city. We already saw what it would be like in Atlanta, but do you want to risk being trapped in the tunnels to escape New York?

Reaction score
I've said it before, but I want another group, in New York or somewhere with snow in the winter. Add the challenge of surviving in nature to the "undead hunting you" aspect.

I'm referring to rural, like the current series, but you could also do Manhattan and the challenge of the city. We already saw what it would be like in Atlanta, but do you want to risk being trapped in the tunnels to escape New York?
That would be cool to see!

Reaction score
i just worry they will kill off daryl and then give the dixon brothers a prequel show.

Reaction score
I'd like this new series to have more of a macro-view of this post-apocalyptic world. Even in the comics we know virtually nothing about it. Kirkman keeps his characters extremely uncurious about this & other huge questions about the current state of the world. If it doesnt progress or transmit any new knowledge or comes off as an also-ran copy cat series, then AMC is doing nothing but attempting a money grab. In fact there are already signs thag the network is starting to run scared & out of fresh ideas. Prequel to BB, dragging out Mad Men's last season over 2 years to 2015, and pretty much all their other original scripted shows are failing to find an audience or critic appeal... Makes me think this move might be out of desperation more than any great creative revelation. Additionally, what director/producer of quality wants to run a Walking Dead series where the network has replaced 3 show runners in 4 seasons? Will hope for the best but wont be expecting much.

Reaction score
I didn't realize The Walking Dead was a George Romero series where we see the same thing happening over and over to different groups of people. I can understand that they changed the title somewhat, because Walking Of The Dead doesn't sound as snappy.

GNT

Reaction score
Walking Dead Spinoff Working Title and First Casting Revealed

The first two actors cast for AMC's Walking Dead spinoff/companion series have been revealed, as well as the working title for the show for the time being - Cobalt.
Deadline reports that British actor Frank Dillane (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince) and Into the Storm's Alycia Debnam Carey have joined the spinoff pilot as the "former druggie" son, Nick, and "ambitious" daughter, Ashley, of one of the show's main characters - a female guidance counselor named Nancy.

Cobalt takes place during the same zombie apocalypse depicted on The Walking Dead but in a different location. It revolves around Nancy and a divorced teacher named Sean.

Reaction score
Cool, I guess those character descriptions were legit. Looking forward to "Cobalt", and I hope they don't go through old material that the main show's gone over (although going over some is expected).

Reaction score
Did I overlook the info in the previous links listing the name Cobalt? Does anyone have the official title release link available by chance? Sorry, just my nerdy see-it-to-believe-it persona shining through, again. ;)

Reaction score
I'm excited about the show and I don't need it to stray too far from the basic formula of the original series: a ground-level view of survivors fighting off zombies and other survivors. The characters are what carries this kind of show, not the premise.

I also like the idea of a show that has no comic book predecessor, so not as many worries about people unintentionally posting spoilers.

Reaction score
Is Cobalt the name of a place? Anyone have any guesses?

I don't honestly care what the premise is either as long as it is well written. Of course, some variety would be nice, so new locations presenting new challenges or some other unthought of spin. Like maybe wherever these people are they find out that there is a supposed government/military hold out city or something nicknamed Cobalt that they are trying to find…I don't know even as I type that I feel like it would be bad to give them too much of a goal to achieve maybe. But would be interesting to see another group that perhaps is finding signs of a official government remnant or something because of their location.

Reaction score
I am assuming "Cobalt" is the code name for the show, just like Lucas used various code names for the Star Wars movies in early production stages, i.e. Blue Harvest.

Who knows . . .

Reaction score
Ah maybe…or else this is ONLY the title of the first episode? The pilot?

I know there is a place here in Canada called Cobalt but not sure if there is any American town with that name. Cobalt is often associated with "blue"…maybe this takes place near the ocean?

Last edited:

GNT

Reaction score
It's all pretty irrelevant at this stage, a new show is on the way and not much is known about it just yet other then the cast.

Reaction score
Yep, totally irrelevant but fun to guess at all the same!

Reaction score
Read a rumor on the official site that filming for this show will happen in Pennsylvania. I have no idea if true or if the person who posted the information is smoking crack.

Reaction score
Anywhere that's not Georgia would be great. It would be nice if they'd resist doing a crossover episode for a long time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It would be nice if they'd resist doing a crossover episode for a long time.
I could really get behind (bringing current comic storyline into play here...)

Spoiler:  
this spinoff introducing Magna and her gang, and eventually have them "mix" with current show.

Reaction score
I've been wondering the progress of this show, ever since I heard about it months ago. Nice to see it's moving forward. Though personally, I'd prefer the location to be somewhere far away. Possibly Australia, Canada, or somewhere in the UK. I've always been curious how an Island bound population would deal with it, or if it would even reach them.

Reaction score
Technically everyone is infected remember so if anyone in an isolated community dies, even if they can't be reached easily by the dead, they would be creating their own. If they were hyper vigilant however it might work for a while I suppose.

I'm trying to decide which I'd prefer to see. A show that starts at year 0 of the infection or in the same time frame as the main show is currently at. I'm torn. I'd like to see that kind of terror, incomprehension and "freshness" again but it might also feel like starting over and having to watch another group go through the same growing pains. But that could work.

Reaction score
They're going to have to get the "everyone is infected" revelation out of the way pretty quickly in the new show, even if it does take place prior to the current series. Otherwise, that might get a bit frustrating to watch if the cast acts like the zombie "virus" spreads one way, when everyone in the audience knows how it's really spread.

Reaction score
the one thing I hope is that it doesn't involve the comics at all.

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide which I'd prefer to see. A show that starts at year 0 of the infection or in the same time frame as the main show is currently at. I'm torn. I'd like to see that kind of terror, incomprehension and "freshness" again but it might also feel like starting over and having to watch another group go through the same growing pains. But that could work.
I couldnt agree more. While it would be wonderful to see the initial collapse of civilization (all the stuff skipped in TOS due to Ricks coma), all of the "growing pains" would seem extremely familiar unless things just played out so wildly different for the new group(s). My fear is that if the new group has drastically differing experiences with better outcomes and manage to cobble together something that resembles a functioning society before Rick's group, that could risk cheapening Rick's story in the eyes of the viewers. I think Kirkman, AMC et al have their work cut out for them to make this into an all-new, totally different, yet equally similar and compelling series. I honestly don't know how/if they can pull it off, but kudos to them if they do. I'm waiting anxiously!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I guess I wouldn't mind a compromise, they could give us either flashbacks to what they went through or even start the series with a bit about how maybe the main players met (so an extended flashback) and then get us up to something that feels close to a year or so.

Had another thought about what Cobalt could mean (though I kind of like my idea about it referring to cobalt blue…water…but I guess it could be a "cobalt blue harvest"…as I believe was mentioned already!) maybe it refers to a mine? Maybe this group is hanging out in an abandoned mine? Seems some cobalt mining was done in Pennsylvania.

Reaction score
I'm still hoping this turns out to be an anthology series, so that everyone in this series gets their story told and we can see how different parts of the world deal with this virus.