Ambitious projects...

Deathspawn9000

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
So the resident 9 year old has convinced me to take on a really ambitious project. I really didn't want to post this until I was further into it, and I know I'll be lucky to finish this before he graduates... from college, but I want to share what I've done so far. I'll leave it to you to figure out what the project is...

Well, who's gonna buy him? All he does is stand around scratching his butt!

Let's play guess the figure!

Testing the size to make sure there's room. I was afraid it would be too big, but not sure now. Can't make it bigger, it's already gonna be huuuuge!!

Pile o' pit droids!!

VideoViper

High Admiral
Reaction score
keep up the good work!

Question what are you using for the treads? I'm building a sandcrawler myself & ran into some support issues once I started loading it up with figures.

Deathspawn9000

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
All I have done so far is the first floor structure. I found a good way to temporarily hold it together with toothpick rods in the walls. When I'm satisfied with it, it can be glued together with no visible brackets! I'm going off of the cross sections illustration.

The body of the sandcrawler will be built mostly of 1/4" plywood and will sit on the bottom assembly as if in a cradle(inside the ledge starting with the little door above the front treads). I have a good idea of how I want to do the crane and the treadmill assemblies. The treads are probably the last part I'll do. They won't roll, but I have an idea about having the front ones turn as if steering. I'm going to need to get better at casting if I want to make the treads like I want to. I need to get more tools and supplies and with working 2 full time jobs some time would be good also. Thanks for the interest!

Tulgah

High Admiral
Reaction score
Wow. I couldn’t do it in fifty years!

I do think I’m seeing a Twiki from Buck Rogers in there!

Utinniii

Reaction score
Wow! this will be amazing when it is finished.

I love how deep it will be. You can really get a lot of figures in there.

I started a large scale Sandcrawler but it is more of a facade, much like the cardboard Kenner playset. Partly because of space but mostly because the sandcrawler is pretty boxy.
Nienyub made a 1:18 scale version of this. It is on his website.
How accurate are you going with this? I mapped out the storage room and where all the various droids were in relation to each other. So if you want to know where to put the IG 88 head, let me know.

I made a mold of an old rectangular phone button that was perfect for the overhead lights.

I agree that the treads will be the most difficult part. They will be tedious to make. Video Viper makes a good observation about weight. That was something I hadn't considered.

But the most important question is, are you adding the Jawenko?

Deathspawn9000

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
I rewatched the Jawa sequences last night for more ideas. It seems that the lights were mounted on heavy beams across the ceiling, shouldn't be too hard to replicate with LEDs. They will be much brighter than the sandcrawler's dingy atmosphere, partly because they don't make dim LEDs, partly because I'm 50 and I NEED TO SEE WHAT I'M WORKING ON DAMMIT!! Ahem, excuse me.. anyhoo..

I saw the Foamcore Sandcrawler Frank (NiubNiub) made for the Celebration convention some time ago, it's kind of what made my son want me to make one. I was disappointed that he didn't have any instructions or info on it, I found out later that it didn't really survive the con and he didn't do anything else with the idea.

The project so far is using some leftover 2ftx2ft square 1/4" plywood. That's the basis for the interior width. I hope to make it 5 floors high. First floor ceiling is about 7". Second floor will probably be about 10" but will have a catwalk at 5". The third and fourth floors will be jawa size and the top floor will just be the cockpit/drivers area. Gonna be as big as a coffee table!! Haven't decided how much of the interior of the back section I will do. That depends on how much space I need for the power supply and wiring. Not going to make everything exactly as in the cross section, but as much as I can. Some things in that pic don't make sense, but it was artist's discretion when they were painting it. I have (most of) the whole thing planned out in my head, but I need a few more tools and more wood and other supplies. As I go, I will try to post dimensions and what supplies I use and from where and approximate price for others to copy. I mean, "to be inspired by...".:p

I plan to have the crane motorized to move fore and aft and to lower and raise. I don't think I'll be able to make the claw powered, it'll probably be hand operated, something like the scavenger droid that was a pack in with a figure some time ago.. I also am looking into having the giant front door be motorized to open and shut. So far, that looks like it'll be expensive, but I'm still researching. Working as an electronics engineer is awesome!!

More updates when I have time!

DagMarus

Grand Admiral
Reaction score
This is fantastic. I made a foamcore facade of one for my Purchase Of The Droids dio, but this looks like it's going to turn out to be awesome!

Last edited:

Deathspawn9000

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
... Jawenko?
Gezhundheit!

Just kidding! As giant as this will be, I don't think I have room for this. I could maybe try to make one for the kiddo to play with, but he hasn't played Super Star Wars and wouldn't know what we're talking about! This is mostly a for him project!

The outer hull will be skinned in plastic sheet to replicate the panels. Haven't decided if I will try to scribe the panels or just cut them out and jigsaw them together. But that's like step 250 and I'm still on step 2 or 3...

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
Since mine will be static, my idea was to have one of the tread units hollow and put the Jawenko in that. I may even add the micro machines Jawas that I have.

Tulgah

High Admiral
Reaction score
This is an amazing project. My biggest obstacle would be the lights and wiring, and how to hide them without losing space. So far, it looks like you have a great layout!

Deathspawn9000

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Going to use a dremel router to freehand the channel for the LED wiring! Secured in place with hot glue. Lots of planning for this, just no money.... yet!:p

Tulgah

High Admiral
Reaction score
I think that I’m more interested in this than anything anybody else is working on. The bigger and grander and more decadent, the better! Keep posting when you can...

Deathspawn9000

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Doing the planning for the next floor layout. Trying to find something to make the conveyor belt assembly as seen in the first pic. The two options I'm looking at so far are in the bottom pic. They are Dart weights, the brassy looking parts, and Trackball bearing rods, the smoother cylinders. Not really feeling either, so I'm open to suggestions. The trackball rods look best but are solid metal and would weigh a TON...

20191106_144730.jpg

20191106_144842.jpg

ALSO: warming to the new look and interface for the forum but WHERE THE FORK DID MY EARLIER PICS GO? I can't find them in my gallery!!!

Utinniii

Reaction score
I like the brass ones with the grooves the best. (I may steal this idea).
If you want something light, use straws with textured paper to simulate the grooves. I often use plastic lollipop stems in my models. Some are solid and others are hollow so you have an option.
They can also be made with rolled up paper, lego or K'nex which are poles that can be attached Bionical like. I got some Plants VS Zombies figures in this company's sets.
Will they be functional or static?

VideoViper

High Admiral
Reaction score
Make sure you plan to use proper support as the weight of the structure plus the toys adds up.

Had to fix some warp issues with mine.

Deathspawn9000

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Slight update today. Figured out the lattice work for the beam style ceiling. Now I need a router bit for my Dremel to carve out the channels for the lights!

20191119_134511.jpg

The droid hold layout is about 16"x16". I will have the lights in the 2 vertical beams 4 per beam. There will be 3 illuminating the "airlock walkway" between the droid hold and the giant fold down door. The plan is to have the remaining 4 lights on this set lighting up the area behind the droid hold, that will have the extendable stairway inside...

20191119_135059.jpg

This is the area I just mentioned. I plan to have the extendable stairs in this little alcove. This is above the area between the front and rear treads. The hole saw marks the approximate location of the R2-D2 vacuum tube. I still haven't figured out that one. Probably just PVC tubing with some greeblies.
20191119_135103.jpg

This shows the front end of the droid hold and the "airlock walkway". I will have some kind of hinged flip up door on the droid hold and the lip to the right will be where the giant front door is hinged. In the cut away painting, there is a small personnel door at either side of the Sandcrawler in this area.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Looking great! If you have seen the Mandalorian, I'm sure you have gotten some great ideas from how the texture of the ramp looks to all the little door hatches.

Deathspawn9000

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Yep! I knew the Jawas were a spacefaring race, but I thought the sandcrawler designs were only found on Tatooine as they were abandoned mining equipment. Guess there was mining on other planets... It was funny watching the big bad bounty hunter get his @$$ kicked by a sandcrawler full of Jawas!!

Reaction score
Yes!!! This is something I have thought about a lot. Any opportunity to combine droids and dios is good in my book. Anytime I watch ANH I always muse about knocking out the sandcrawler and for some reason I've always liked the ceiling. Glad to see you doing this. And in wood! Solid!

Deathspawn9000

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Some ceiling updates!! All you aspiring woodworkers out there, STEP ONE IS MAKE A DOWNDRAFT SANDING PLATFORM!!!!!
20191208_125255.jpg

This is the channel I routed to hide the wiring in the beam.
20191208_123043.jpg

Test fitting the beam framework.
20191208_125221.jpg

Test fitting with a row of lights installed. Good and bright! Gonna have to do a lot more routing to hide the wires. Really don't want to cut and solder every. damn. light....

Thanks for checking this out!

Last edited:

Deathspawn9000

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
While doing another test fit of the lights, I had a little mishap. It had been slowly breaking at most of the joints, but when this one gave way, I just sighed and decided to redo it with a larger rod. These were 1/2" and the cross bars were 3/8". I think I have room to upgrade to 3/4" and 1/2". Only the larger beams will have the lights and channels in them. You live, you learn...
20200118_184855.jpg

Deathspawn9000

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Well, I finally got back into the shop today. I found an easier way to do the wire routing in the beams. Not sold on the look yet, I think it makes the beams hang down from the ceiling too far, but as always, this is a work in progress..
20200206_124205.jpg

I used the same size wood beam and just glued some balsa strip to either side to make the channel. I then temporarily hot glued the wires down to test the fit.
20200206_124151.jpg

A stellar example of the maxim "measure twice, cut once." Math is hard. Let's go shopping! I may use these holes for a set of yellow/orange lights to match the ambience of the movie Sandcrawler...

20200206_124118.jpg

Just in case my description of how I did it wasn't clear...;)

20200206_124103.jpg

The test fit. I think two beams of lights should light the inside just fine! Cross beams will be fitted later. These lights have been more trouble than I expected. Hands up all the customizers who've said that in the past!

Deathspawn9000

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Finished the second.... light beam? Beam of light? Anyhoo...
20200206_153734.jpg

Test fitting how the cross beams will be mounted. Toothpick dowels connecting them through the Beams of Light and glued on either side. I really want to avoid having visible screws or fasteners on this project.

20200206_152723.jpg

This would be the view if you were on the floor looking up. I like how the cross beams are a smaller size than the Beams of Light.

20200206_152712.jpg

Lights in the shop off. Only lit by the Beams of Light!

20200206_155602.jpg

Note to self: Gotta get some larger clamps for the next step...

Comments and feedback and better ideas than I can come up with always welcome! Thanks for checking this out!

Reaction score
Beams and light setup look great. The ceiling beams are fairly pronounced in images from ANH, I don't think the slight addition in how thick they are is a problem at all. Sometimes solutions mean minor changes, but I really think things look even more accurate now. I can relate to that "measure twice" maxim also. I sometimes measure five, six times and still end up cutting three or four times. Keep truckin'!!!

Last edited:

Deathspawn9000

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Well, after four months I can finally boast I have ONE ROOM allllllllmost done..

20200210_155443.jpg
Cutting the holes in the wall to run the lights to the front airlock walkway....

20200210_155455.jpg

And the back stairwell alcove.

20200210_161345.jpg
Clamping and gluing. I put pins through the ceiling into the crossbeams that didn't have any lights or wires in them and then glued the crossbeams. The Beams of Light are held on by pins through the crossbeams and then glued to them.

20200211_141340.jpg
Finally! All walls pinned top, bottom and back and lights installed! First floor structure complete!

20200211_141437.jpg

Testing for size with the various figures. Only lights in this pic are the LEDs. Shop lights off and no flash! Deathspawn happy!

20200211_141448.jpg

The alcove that will hold the retractable stairway. Gotta figure out how I want to mount the lights here...

20200211_141458.jpg

And here in the front airlock area.

Deathspawn9000

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Aaaaaaand.... OPEN!!!
I'm gonna need a Claptrap to imprison in here someday....

20200213_155250.jpg
Next step is doors! Opened the front of the Droid hold today.

20200213_155717.jpg

What good is a doorway without a door? Don't ask what good is a door without a hinge, gotta go shopping!

20200213_155755.jpg

No, the door won't open that way, just hiding some of the less glamorous areas of the shop/basement.

20200213_163135.jpg

The door will be hinged at the top. There will be a Beam of Light above it to help hide the hinge. In the movie and the cutaway book, it is a solid piece that slides upwards in a channel. Unfortunately, I couldn't make this floor that tall so this has to be the compromise. I love the dramatic raising of the door in the movie. May work on motorizing it somehow....

20200213_163418.jpg

I guarantee it will look waaaaaay better after some detailing and such.

Deathspawn9000

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
You always need a good housewa... I mean. Sandcrawlerwarming party! invite all the droids from the other properties! Mayyyyybe do a little.... freelance collecting while nobody's looking....

20200216_175729.jpg

Turrets? They're just for decoration! One of them is defective!

20200216_175736.jpg

Wow! I was surprised at how badly my paper arcade was falling apart in storage. Gonna have to do ALL of them over..

20200216_175742.jpg

I hope I'm not the only one with such varied taste in Science Fiction media or toys...

20200216_183254.jpg

Starting to think I should have made the ceiling a little taller. The Beams of light look good but made it... interesting to get some of the arcade in here.

20200216_183242.jpg

Not sure if TWIKI is drunk or stealing tokens....again.

20200216_184948.jpg

Always gotta do the after party cleanup! Come to think of it, I haven't figured out how I'm going to get this thing from wood colored to Sandcrawler colored. Maybe have to find a really dark stain that looks close to rusty metal...

gerrit

Commodore
Reaction score
This looks like it's going to be sturdy fun playset, love the Sandcrawlerwarming pics :) Have a look on youtube for some rust painting tutorials.

Reaction score
To quote the eminent philosopher Jeffrey Spicoli.....

AWESOME!!! Totally awesome! Alright, Hamilton!

Love the party shots.

Hey! Where'd you get the R2-D2 post office box??? (to be read aloud the same as Spicoli asking, "where'd you get this jacket?" ...but seriously, I wanna know...

Deathspawn9000

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
The mailbox is a downloaded papercraft file the Post Office provided way back when they had the R2-D2 wrapped boxes promotion. It's easy to print, cut, fold and glue. Same as my arcade machines! I'll post the file here when I can find it...

Deathspawn9000

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Next step: Hinging the door. I want the hinges to be as invisible as possible.My first thoughts were to not use screws at all, just cut dowels to fit the screw holes and glue them to the door frame and then glue a wooden strip to the dowels to hide the hinge. That wound up as a non workable plan. First, I could not find a piano hinge that was 8" long to span the entire length of the door. The following story is how I worked around these issues...

20200304_134634.jpg

I cut down the door to fit inside the frame. I thought to use three of the hinges I found to fabricate the full length hinge I wanted, but due to my amateur carpentry skills, the door may not be entirely straight. So I settled on just using two.

20200304_130004.jpg

I finally settled on just using two hinges. I wanted to cut a channel at the top of the door to recess the barrels a little to help hide them. That's why I wanted the full length hinge, easier to mortise...

20200304_124635.jpg

I didn't want to start cutting on my door and frame unless I had a clear plan in mind, so I grabbed two scrap pieces to test with. This is how I decided to mount the hinges, with a mortise (it is a mortise, right? Hope I'm not sounding like too much of an amateur idiot...) to recess the bolt and hide the hardware.

20200304_124632.jpg

This was my scrap piece attempt. Pretty close to what I was thinking, just made the cuts a little too wide. Glad I used scrap for this!

20200304_132834.jpg

ARGH!! I had a scrap assembly picture to illustrate this, but it got lost somewhere in the uploads. This was the reason I was originally going to not use the screws. 3/4" screws through 1/4" plywood...

20200304_124642.jpg

So this became my work around for the protruding screws. Affix some of my scrap 1/2" square rods to drive the screws in, strengthening the attachment and hiding the screw tips.

20200304_124656.jpg

Yes, I know the hinges are mounted backwards, with the finished side to the wood. This was the best way to hide the hinge barrels in between the door and the frame. Still has the movement range to work perfectly.

20200304_124730.jpg

I originally thought to carve out the area behind the hinge to have them mounted flush, but that was more work than my lazy butt wanted to do today. I had some scrap strip from the Beams of Light left over and it is the exact thickness of the hinge flaps, so I think I will frame them out like this....

20200304_124743.jpg

Then using another strip to cover the hinge flap. Looks good? No? I'm open to better ideas!

20200304_132834.jpg

Back to this pic again. This shows how the hinge barrels are recessed to help hide them. Note the pins to help align assembly with the ceiling, walls and floor.

20200304_132827.jpg

Hinge test fitting. Good news is the door holds itself open at any angle. Bad news is, got a squeaky hinge...

20200304_132859.jpg

Here are the backing blocks cut to size and ready to be glued to the door and frame. I cut them from the broken lattice work of my first attempt at the Beams of Light. Todays scrap is tomorrows innovation!

20200304_133259.jpg

Backing beams glued and clamped to the door. I will drill out the holes so they run less risk of splintering the wood. Tomorrow. Or next time I get down in the shop....

20200304_133834.jpg

Backing beams glued and clamped on the frame. Seems like I worked several hours on such a trivial part of the project, but that's how it works sometime. If I ever decide to do another one, or inspire some one to try this themselves, I've already found a lot I'd do differently. If you do try this, or something similar, please post pics and share your work!

Last edited:
Reaction score
You may be able to use a dremel cutting wheel and just cut the screws, I did with similar circumstances (1/4 " wood) and there's enough toothiness in the screws threading that it should hold pretty well even though your intuition may tell you otherwise. I used hinges on the backside wall in my cantina and cutting the extra length of the screws turned out to not really be a problem. And I made my hinges hidden by recessing them flush (traced in pencil their dimensions and again used the dremel to gouge out enough wood so they fit perfectly) and orienting them when I installed them to be as hidden as possible. Looking good!!!! Keep at it!

Deathspawn9000

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Looking for more Jawas tonight I decided to pass on Derpy here...

20200304_220926.jpg

Probably just glued his face on crooked. Boy, that sounded dark...

Deathspawn9000

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Following YodaShizzles excellent advice, I was able to get the hinges recessed today! Thanks YS!
20200305_174038.jpg

This is exactly how I wanted it to work! Once the trim strips are purchased and cut to fit, they will hide the leaf of the hinge very well.

20200305_173048.jpg

I didn't do the dramatic lighting on purpose, but I like it! The nicks and scarring around the hinge will be covered by the trim and the Beam of Light that will be above the door. That step will be coming up soon...

20200305_174025.jpg

The trim will go around the perimeter of the door, and overhang the sides slightly so the door doesn't swing inward past the frame. I think I will have a matching strip on the frame on the other side of the doorway to make it look more like a blast door frame.

20200305_173434.jpg

Another look at the way I want to hide the hinges. Suggestions always welcome. Thanks for checking this out!

Deathspawn9000

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Well, OK. Yesterday, I went down to my shop and found that some idiot had GLUED AND SCREWED THE DOOR INTO THE FRAME BACKWARDS.... If I mounted the wall the way it's supposed to be, the door would open the wrong way, into the droid hold, not the airlock hallway. In attempting to remove the glued on backing blocks, I did more damage to the door and the frame that the whole section will have to be recut. So mad at myself for too many stupid mistakes on this project. I will update with pics when my blood pressure gets back down and I can start again.