Amazing new find

Joined
Nov 4, 2000
Messages
5,437
Reaction score
0


This turned up through some random dealer who had no knowledge of its history. I have no background information on it, though the colors seem to speak for themselves.

-chris
 
Joined
Jul 8, 2002
Messages
4,745
Reaction score
4
Whatever it is, it looks really cool!!! Was it sold to you as a prototype??
 
Joined
May 26, 2001
Messages
2,574
Reaction score
0
Looks like John A has been hard at work in his basement again.... First it was Inner Circle Bootlegs, now he has progressed to prototypes. Where will the insanity stop??

Billy
 
Joined
Jan 10, 2002
Messages
4,975
Reaction score
2
I was there when this amazing find was unearthed by Chris. Let's just say it left those of us who met up at the Greensboro toy show speechless. As I was driving home I regretted not offering some major cash to Chris for this piece, or at least trade some of my coveted R2 items. In retrospect, Chris is a "keeper of the hobby", and this rare find should always stay with him. "Original 21" protos are exceedingly rare. I'm sure it keeps a spot next to Chris' amazing prototype collection.
 
Joined
Apr 23, 2002
Messages
248
Reaction score
0
So is this thing real or not? Or is it just stripped of it's chrome and parts dyed different colors? I NEED to know
 
Joined
Jun 28, 2003
Messages
4,792
Reaction score
0
It's a death star droid that fell into a rainbow colored vat of paint. That's all.

Great find.

-John

PS: To Bryan, I just noticed your signature line, I think I laughed for a good solid five minutes. That's Great...
 
Joined
Feb 21, 2001
Messages
12,725
Reaction score
1
Location
NJ
Neat looking piece, Sparky. Dare I ask if you bought it as a prototype or if the dealer sold it as a novelty? Either way those colors make that a killer piece. Congrats!

John
 
Joined
Dec 10, 2003
Messages
1,093
Reaction score
2
I too was there when Chris found this piece, and for someone who hasn't delved into prototype collecting, I was blown away. I even had a booth at the show, which means I could walk around to dealers tables the night before the show, but with my untrained eye I didn't spot this one. I kicked myself all the way back to Raleigh, but to the victor goes the spoils, or Chris in the this case. Good eye my friend, good eye.
Jeffery
 
Joined
Feb 15, 2003
Messages
2,645
Reaction score
1
Oh my godness its the super duper rare rainbow Gay pride Death Star Droid that Kenner was working on for all those years. Where did u find it?
 

James_Gallo

Moderator
Joined
Jun 16, 2001
Messages
1,914
Reaction score
0
Location
Philadelphia PA
Wait are you saying Chris owns Star Wars Toys?? I didn't think he had anything, well at least nothing of much value.
That Death Star Droid is killer, I would trade you a loose Vlix for it... What do you say Sparky???? Up for some more trading?

James G
 
Joined
Jun 11, 2002
Messages
1,552
Reaction score
0
forgive my ignorance of paint (chrome) stripped figures. Are they generally patch worked plastic colors like this underneath?
 
Joined
Feb 15, 2003
Messages
2,645
Reaction score
1
dockingbay97 said:
forgive my ignorance of paint (chrome) stripped figures. Are they generally patch worked plastic colors like this underneath?
If your for real, the answer is no.
 
Joined
Jun 11, 2002
Messages
1,552
Reaction score
0
Todd_Hudson said:
dockingbay97 said:
forgive my ignorance of paint (chrome) stripped figures. Are they generally patch worked plastic colors like this underneath?
If your for real, the answer is no.
Sorry, I am not an expert like you. I can't follow the thread. Is it a prototype or a paint stripped figure and a fake.

I am trying to educate myself but I can't follow what is going on here.

Sorry.
 
Joined
Apr 25, 2002
Messages
3,836
Reaction score
0
Do first-shots or proto-types have a copyright mark and land of origin mark?

And how come all those weirdo collors?
 
Joined
Nov 4, 2000
Messages
5,437
Reaction score
0
I thought I'd wait 24 hours before responding, but 21 replies isn't bad. I wanted to post this as an example of why NOT to buy stuff off ebay just because someone calls it a "prototype" with no further explanation. And just because it might be missing paint or in a weird color.



This is what it looked like when Jeff C. pulled it out of a box of junk figures at the Greensboro Toy Show on Saturday. The colors underneath were very interesting to see, and immediately made me think of the C-3PO that Bill Cable posted the link to above.

A 24 hour soak in brake fluid, a straght pin for the crevices, and a toothbrush to clean it off and you have what I showed above.

Never make assumptions just because something is a goofy color. Prototypes just don't show up out of nowhere with no history. Be careful with ebay folks and buy items like this from reputable people.

This thing cost me $1.

-chris
 
Joined
Oct 12, 2002
Messages
2,077
Reaction score
1
That's pretty wild.

I took a look at a few of the DSD's that I have in poor condition, and they all seem to be white plastic where the chrome has rubbed off.

Never figured you to be "taking chrome" Chris.


-Mike
www.womprat.com
 
Joined
Apr 25, 2002
Messages
3,836
Reaction score
0
All right, hands up everyone who is feeling really really stupid now...


My scepticism turned out to be correct. In your face experts!


(Just pulling your legs!)
 
Joined
Feb 15, 2003
Messages
2,645
Reaction score
1
dockingbay97 said:
Todd_Hudson said:
dockingbay97 said:
forgive my ignorance of paint (chrome) stripped figures. Are they generally patch worked plastic colors like this underneath?
If your for real, the answer is no.
Sorry, I am not an expert like you. I can't follow the thread. Is it a prototype or a paint stripped figure and a fake.

I am trying to educate myself but I can't follow what is going on here.

Sorry.
Hey relax bro, I just wasnt sure if you were being serious or not, there were alot of people being sarcastic in their remarks. I answered your question just in case you were being serious, and I dont think I was a **** about it like your remark back to me would have suggested. Sorry if you took offense

Todd
 
Joined
Jun 11, 2002
Messages
1,552
Reaction score
0
Todd_Hudson said:
dockingbay97 said:
Todd_Hudson said:
dockingbay97 said:
forgive my ignorance of paint (chrome) stripped figures. Are they generally patch worked plastic colors like this underneath?
If your for real, the answer is no.
Sorry, I am not an expert like you. I can't follow the thread. Is it a prototype or a paint stripped figure and a fake.

I am trying to educate myself but I can't follow what is going on here.

Sorry.
Hey relax bro, I just wasnt sure if you were being serious or not, there were alot of people being sarcastic in their remarks. I answered your question just in case you were being serious, and I dont think I was a **** about it like your remark back to me would have suggested. Sorry if you took offense

Todd
Sorry, I was tired and confused.
 
Joined
Feb 21, 2001
Messages
12,725
Reaction score
1
Location
NJ
Herbert_Ackermans said:
All right, hands up everyone who is feeling really really stupid now...
*raises hand*
(though I realized and felt stupid last night)

I only took it at face value because of the source of the post. Chris has always been known for having really neat pieces and if he posted it I didn't see any reason to doubt that he thought it was real. But then for some reason I looked at what the file was called *after* I posted last night and saw that he named them "strip1" and "strip2". He got me at first though.

I should have realized something was up since he NEVER posts pics of his collection. LOL

John
 
Joined
Nov 4, 2000
Messages
5,437
Reaction score
0
BillCable said:
It looks almost the same colors as the stripped Takara 3PO that was on eBay a few weeks ago...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5900320028
This is one reason I made this posting. The one on ebay ended at $202 and I'm sure that the winner thinks he got some Takara prototype. This has happened in the past and I see figures that look to be easily stripped of paint on ebay now and then.

Until that Takara auction I never thought that they used anything but that off-white color plastic on the figures. Now after picking up this Death Star Droid I have changed my tune. Why on earth it's comprised of so many colors I couldn't tell you. And not only that, they're swirled. The arms are a mix of black and red, though it's hard to tell. Every speck of chrome is gone, so any light spots you see are white coloring in the base plastic.

But this is a piece I could have put on ebay (under some unknown ID) and had a field day with. It's scary, really.

-chris
 
Joined
Jul 8, 2000
Messages
925
Reaction score
0
I didn't comment on this, since I know absolutely nothing about the subject, but I was dubious about the copywrite and "Hong Kong" on it.

I expect the multicoloured parts are down to the fact that they didn't need to be any particular colour so they just melted down whatever drosss they had on hand at the time.
 
Joined
Jun 27, 2000
Messages
1,553
Reaction score
0
ChrisGeorgoulias said:
Why on earth it's comprised of so many colors I couldn't tell you. And not only that, they're swirled. The arms are a mix of black and red, though it's hard to tell.

-chris
They probably had a large cavity mold of nothing but left arms, or nothing but right legs, etc. and shot them at different times using whatever color they had loaded.

Knowing it was going to be plated, they could use anything they had. Probably used the leftover pellets from other jobs and also didn't bother to clean the machines between colors.


Dan
 
Joined
Jan 10, 2002
Messages
4,975
Reaction score
2
John_A_Graham said:
PS: To Bryan, I just noticed your signature line, I think I laughed for a good solid five minutes. That's Great...
Glad you could have a sense of humor about it
. I've been looking for something to replace it, so quick, someone say something funny!
 
Joined
Jan 10, 2002
Messages
4,975
Reaction score
2
ChrisGeorgoulias said:
A 24 hour soak in brake fluid, a straght pin for the crevices, and a toothbrush to clean it off and you have what I showed above.
-chris
We all got quite a chuckle when Chris showed up with this thing at Jeffrey's booth. By the way Chris, I guess this is now proof-positive that the brake fluid thing does indeed work, right?
 
Joined
Nov 4, 2000
Messages
5,437
Reaction score
0
flarida said:
Knowing it was going to be plated, they could use anything they had. Probably used the leftover pellets from other jobs and also didn't bother to clean the machines between colors.
Yeah, you're right on that. I guess what I meant to say was that seeing a bunch of wacky colors was a shock.

Thinking more about it now I bet it was probably more of a case of them using regrind and just lumping a bunch of different colors together. Or maybe mixing virgin material together (no jokes, please, that's what it's called)


In any of these scenarios, including what you mentioned, I wonder just how many figures would have been made like this. If it was what you said and they let the materials mix in the barrel then there couldn't have been that many made because after it ran awhile the machine would purge the old and mixed material and run the new colors.

I bet this was due to them using regrind (re-ground runners and junk parts that were melted down and shot again). This would allow them to make lots of these things. Being vac-metallized would let the factories pretty much use anything they wanted underneath.

At any rate, I'm going to start keeping a closer eye on junk bins to see how common this might have been on old 3PO's and DS Droids.

-chris
 
Joined
Sep 30, 2001
Messages
406
Reaction score
0
Darthbryan said:
John_A_Graham said:
PS: To Bryan, I just noticed your signature line, I think I laughed for a good solid five minutes. That's Great...
Glad you could have a sense of humor about it
. I've been looking for something to replace it, so quick, someone say something funny!
Wuzzle-Wozzle?...........

Ace
 
Top