Allow the Star Wars: Legends Brand to Continue

Reaction score
Fans of the Star Wars Expanded Universe, I address you with a matter of great importance to the fandom.

As you know, George Lucas has sold Lucasfilm to Walt Disney Studios and they plan on making a sequel trilogy, along with a number of stand-alone films. In my mind, these were bad decisions on his part, but I was willing to let it pass. However, when Mr. Lucas made the claim that the films would not deal with material already in the Expanded Universe, alarm bells started going off in my head. How would he be able to do such a thing without disturbing already established events from the novels and games? This question was answered by the recent shocking decision by Lucasfilm that all Star Wars stories outside of the films and cartoon were now to be labeled as non-canon.

This was a major blow to the Star Wars fandom, of whom most considered the Expanded Universe to be canonical; rightfully so, as it has slowly been established over the course of more than twenty years. Lucasfilm has claimed that while all the already created works will continue to be sold under the “Legends” brand, but they have also claimed that no more stories under the “Legends” brand will be published in the future. For a Star Wars fan such as myself this decision is intolerable. The Expanded Universe told many great stories of the Star Wars universe, and it still held promise many more stories yet to be told.

Obviously, we can’t convince Lucasfilm to cancel production of future films; they’ve already spent too much time and money for that. Likewise, we can’t convince them to withdraw their claims that the “Legends” brand is non-canon, as that would work against their film production. However, one thing we can convince them to do, with enough strength, is to allow more works to be created under the “Legends” brand. Just because they don’t view it as canon doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be allowed to continue following it. In the end, it would simply be a matter of there being two separate Star Wars universes, allowing each fan to decide for themselves which one they want to follow. And knowing the fans, many of them will probably decide to follow both.

That being said, if they did properly separate the two “canons” and allow them both to continue, some work would have to be done. The main thing that would have to happen is that the “Legends” brand would have to disregard most of what happened in the “Clone Wars” cartoon. The reason for this is that the cartoon was the biggest part of the franchise that contradicted events that occurred in books of the old Expanded Universe. However, some events from the cartoon would have to be included in the “Legends” brand because some of the later books and short stories mentioned or dealt with events that occurred in the cartoon. Even so, it would most likely have to be altered so that it didn’t contradict events, lore, or facts from works in the “Legends” brand. Most likely a novelization of those episodes with necessary alterations to their stories would have to be written. This shouldn’t be very difficult. A Star Wars novelist who has read most of the Expanded Universe novels could do it easily enough.

So I appeal to Star Wars fans everywhere. Tell Lucasfilm to allow the “Legends” brand to continue and publish future works. Let the Expanded Universe we grew up with to continue.

Sign this petition.

https://www.change.org/petitions/lucasfilm-allow-the-star-wars-legends-brand-to-continue-creating-future-works

And get as many others as you can to sign it as well. Also, if you want to send your own complaints to Disney and Lucasfilm, email them at the following addresses:

publicity@lucasfilm.com.
robert.a.iger@disney.com

Last edited:
Reaction score
I really wish they would continue to release new novels under the Legends banner as a separate canon to the new Unified Canon.
Other franchises do this (including Marvel I believe) so why now take advantaged of both canon's and release new material for both. It's a missed opportunity and is leaving money on the table IMO.

Your link doesn't work. You need to take the deviantart bit out.

Reaction score
alright, it's been fixed. please sign and get as many others to sign as possible. even post in on your facebook while you're at it.

Reaction score
Your take is a little intense in that I don't think too many fans are opposed to the new movies.

However, I certainly agree with the core thesis here to let the "Legends" novels and comics continue along there own continuity. Both universes can draw whatever they want or don't want from the other. Who cares, it's fiction.

I just think these books are a license to print money. It seems foolish to discontinue the story so many have followed for so long.

Reaction score
if you feel that way, please sign the petition and get as many other people to sign it as you can. spread the word. i can only do so much myself.

GNT

Reaction score
Maybe I'm the only one but having one universe going forward is the best decision IMO, having multiple comics some that are and some that aren't canon would get confusing for the general Star Wars fan, maybe down the line Disney could look into it but one universe going forward atm is the direction Disney wants to go with the franchise as a whole. I'm 100% with Disney on this one.

Reaction score
Why? Would it be too confusing, kind of like X-Men? lol

I don't mind the "one" universe thing, but I surely don't want to lose beloved characters. Some people just aren't getting it, because their Precious OT is safe...

GNT

Reaction score
Why? Would it be too confusing, kind of like X-Men? lol

I don't mind the "one" universe thing, but I surely don't want to lose beloved characters. Some people just aren't getting it, because their Precious OT is safe...
It'll just get out of control with multiple different stores floating around again and eventually they'll start contradicting the official canon.

No one is taking your existing comics away, you still have them in your collection to read anytime you want. Maybe people can imagine what might be next for the characters instead of waiting for something to be released. Some imagination can go a long way.

I love all forms of Star Wars so I'm not a "OT is precious or the OT is perfect in every shape or form" type of person because I'm not, I personally want to see the main 3 cark it in the ST.

I think many people are taking Disney's move way too seriously. It's the best thing they've done, EU has been a mess for a long time and hopefully now it'll be on par with the movies going forward.

Reaction score
They'll be using bits and pieces, least for inspiration - plus the flip side is we do not yet know whether the new canon will be any better or worse than the old EU and quasi-canon. Thing that bothers me the most really is they basically said no more EU figures which no matter how you cut it, a crock of you know what. There is no good reason why they wont allow atleast 2-4 EU figures into the mix per year where they wont take away from anything but will add to the Star Wars galaxy and mythos even under this new "Legends" tag.

Last edited:
Reaction score
GNT said it best. However, my only concern as a fan moving forward is: will the future of Disney SW, beyond the theatrical live action releases, be heavily kiddie-based? If there's a SW animated musical film coming out w/ bumbling wildlife and singing lightsaber hilts instead of candelabras and so on, It'd be quite lame... For some families and kids it'd be a blast, but the pre-existing fan base, ooooooooh could be rough...just speculation of course, not saying it's happening. It's still called Star WARS! .,..really don't think too much about children in the storytelling context of WAR.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It'll just get out of control with multiple different stores floating around again and eventually they'll start contradicting the official canon.

No one is taking your existing comics away, you still have them in your collection to read anytime you want. Maybe people can imagine what might be next for the characters instead of waiting for something to be released. Some imagination can go a long way.

I love all forms of Star Wars so I'm not a "OT is precious or the OT is perfect in every shape or form" type of person because I'm not, I personally want to see the main 3 cark it in the ST.

I think many people are taking Disney's move way too seriously. It's the best thing they've done, EU has been a mess for a long time and hopefully now it'll be on par with the movies going forward.
I know I can go back and read all of those old comics and novels but I want to see the story continue. That imagination argument doesn't really hold water, if that was realistic why produce any form of entertainment again ever? it doesn't hurt the brand to allow the post-Fate of the Jedi novels continue along with the multiple comics and other "Legends" material. I can see the case for cleaning up the bloat of the last twenty years but a lot of people like those stories and would continue paying good money to read them.

Reaction score
Maybe I'm the only one but having one universe going forward is the best decision IMO, having multiple comics some that are and some that aren't canon would get confusing for the general Star Wars fan, maybe down the line Disney could look into it but one universe going forward atm is the direction Disney wants to go with the franchise as a whole. I'm 100% with Disney on this one.
I get your point but Marvel, DC, Transformers, MOTU, and several other brands all have multiple active canons and their fans seem to handle it. so why would SW fans get confuse. It just needs and symbol of line or text (like the Legends banner) on the cover saying which canon its from. That why they can sell products to fans of all canons and ultimately make more money.

I know I can go back and read all of those old comics and novels but I want to see the story continue. That imagination argument doesn't really hold water, if that was realistic why produce any form of entertainment again ever? it doesn't hurt the brand to allow the post-Fate of the Jedi novels continue along with the multiple comics and other "Legends" material. I can see the case for cleaning up the bloat of the last twenty years but a lot of people like those stories and would continue paying good money to read them.
This is exactly how I feel. I want to see the post-Fate of the Jedi story continue in novels, or at least be allowed to be finished. The Fate of the Jedi series set up several story threads that were left unresolved in order to be continued in The Sword of the Jedi trilogy. If they wont continue the post-Fate of the Jedi story then at least release The Sword of the Jedi trilogy to give us a proper ending to the EU canon and tie up all the loose story threads.

Reaction score
I was rather disappointed to hear that the E.U. was cut entirely from the Star Wars continuity so that Disney could place their mark onto the franchise going forward with the new films and TV series. I can understand the decision to cut any E.U. material that takes place Post-Return of the Jedi in order to make way for the new films but what I don't get is why cut anything Pre-Episode One or the comics, books, video games, etc., that take place during and after the Clone Wars like Karen Traviss Republic Commando books, and the Dark Times comics. A lot of this material provides what I will call the "connective tissue to the Star Wars Universe." Materials like KOTOR and SWTOR games, Tales of the Jedi comics, Dawn of the Jedi comics, Knight Errant comics, Darth Bane Trilogy, Jedi Vs Sith comics, Darth Plagueis book, etc., provide a history to the Star Wars Universe. Games and comics such as the Dark Times and Purge comics series along with The Force Unleashed also fill in the gap between Episodes 3 and 4 rather nicely given there is a 19 year gap between the films. So with all of this material out there now floating around like a dying satellite I fail to understand how these things would interfere with the new films or TV shows. Even if they did there is enough wiggle room in the Star Wars Universe to integrate these materials with these already established materials. Given also that both the Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Prequel Trilogy borrowed from the E.U. especially when it came to characters like Aayla Secura, Quinlan Vos, Delta Squad, and referred to past conflicts such as those between the Jedi Order and the Mandalorians or the Sith doesn't cutting away the E.U. materials hurt the franchise because these materials are no longer considered canon?

The thing that I always loved about the Star Wars franchises is that the Universe portrayed in the films felt like it had a history that existed for a long time. It felt more accessible for me anyways to understand why certain characters act the way they do towards each other and informed the nature of the conflicts or why a certain culture in Star Wars dressed in the manner in which they do because of the cultural practices they have. The films were always great at letting you make up your own mind about these things but having the E.U. there to inform you why these things exist the way they do made the Star Wars Universe come alive in more ways than one. Even George Lucas couldn't entirely cover the scope of such a vast Universe just by telling the fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker in his films. The E.U. however had already integrated itself nicely with the Star Wars franchise or at least the best parts of the E.U. had done this given that some parts of the E.U. are a complete mess. Maybe in the end the best parts of the E.U. should have been kept or at least the materials I named above should have been kept as they do provide depth to the Universe and make it feel like pre-existing place. Disney's decision was too rash and too soon without them fully analyzing the potential the E.U. has in making the plans they have for Star Wars even better by including the rich plethora of characters, settings, conflicts, etc., that encompass the E.U. especially given that many fans love the E.U. or at least the best parts of it anyway.