Alias Smith and Jones - Retro Vintage Customs

Reaction score
Hey, guys!

I don't know if any of you are into Westerns like me, but I had this idea with me for some time - what if Alias Smith and Jones got action figures made in retro 3 3/4 scale like the Kenner Butch and Sundance figures?

This thread will contain my recreation of the two main characters - Hannibal Heyes and Jed 'Kid' Curry. Be sure to watch this space and check back for updates real soon!

And here are the concept images I made! NOTE: These are just rough ideas of what they would look like:
http://orig12.deviantart.net/31d3/f/2015/150/9/3/asj_custom_figure_cardback_by_harry_topper-d8vdveo.png
http://orig06.deviantart.net/ca6b/f/2015/150/3/6/asj_hannibal_heyes_custom_figure_design_by_harry_topper-d8vdvef.png
http://orig10.deviantart.net/85ce/f/2015/150/3/4/asj_jed__kid__curry_custom_figure_design_by_harry_topper-d8vdve4.png
I do not own the original photographs of the Butch Cassidy figure as they were the only decent pics of the Kenner Butch Cassidy figure. The original image used was from the website Toymania (http://www.toymania.com/334archives/index.htm). The images were basically used as renderings of how to plan out a custom figure and what to use. The original cardback was a design of mine using an image from one of the episodes as I thought it would better fit the way I designed the cardback.

Alias Smith and Jones (C) Universal

Last edited:
Reaction score
I never heard of the characters, but like western lines. I look forward to seeing what you can do. Funny that the sun dance and butch line is what your going to use to customize off of as that is the line Kenner customized from Luke farmboy and Han bespin (head sculpts).

Reaction score
I never knew the last part until now. Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Now, when the Hannibal figure is made, I'll try and submit a picture here (I don't know if that's possible, but I'll find a way - probably how I posted the images of the cardback and the planning images).

Reaction score
You should hit Ryan Shaw (bantha5) up and see if he can talk you through making a mold and casting. Then you could turn one figure into many figures for experimentation with paint work, arm changes, etc....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Honestly I didn't think of the quick draw on them, but I am sure if you crack one open it is probably a simple spring mechanism that as long as you find a spring replacement you might be able to replicate. Ryan is very good at customizing so he would for sure have more knowledge than me on the tricks of the trade. Personally duplicating the figure without the QuickDraw would be fine for me as eventually you run out of beaters to customize. And if you could make a generic torso leg combo you could try different molding on the arms.

i forgot I had shown you some of Ryan's work before in this thread.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1116299/

if you look at his post in the link I gave before you can see he made a custom Jesse James to fit a preproduction head. So he may have some insight into the line already. I haven't spoken to him in a long while so I don't even know if he is still around, but if he is he would certainly be helpful with his knowledge.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Honestly I didn't think of the quick draw on them, but I am sure if you crack one open it is probably a simple spring mechanism that as long as you find a spring replacement you might be able to replicate. Ryan is very good at customizing so he would for sure have more knowledge than me on the tricks of the trade. Personally duplicating the figure without the QuickDraw would be fine for me as eventually you run out of beaters to customize. And if you could make a generic torso leg combo you could try different molding on the arms.

i forgot I had shown you some of Ryan's work before in this thread.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1116299/

if you look at his post in the link I gave before you can see he made a custom Jesse James to fit a preproduction head. So he may have some insight into the line already. I haven't spoken to him in a long while so I don't even know if he is still around, but if he is he would certainly be helpful with his knowledge.
Thanks. I got his reply to a message asking him about the prototypes and I will ask him how to include the quick-draw features too. Speaking of which, how small a spring would the mechanism be? And the pre-production Jesse James head - I've always wondered what the back of it looks like.

Reaction score
http://orig14.deviantart.net/97d9/f/2015/164/f/6/redesigned_heyes_and_curry_custom_figures_by_harry_topper-d8x6srb.png

I have just redesigned the concepts which should make them more accurate to their costumes. When I printed them off, they looked a bit dark (Heyes' shirt was light yellow and Curry's waistcoat/vest was too light tan) so I remade the figures. The figures have knee articulation so I also tried to outline it on them (I'd use a full-zoom for closer inspection). Heyes' waistcoat/vest looked too similar to that of the Butch Cassidy figure and I re-tooled it a bit to resemble a western waistcoat/vest similar to that of the Sundance Kid figure. Curry's hat has a big brim, so I redesigned the brim and made it bigger than before and respectively to the figure; the conchos on the hat were also detailed as well and the waistcoat/vest was also redesigned to a similar look of that kinda like the Sundance Kid figure. The rest - all were detailed and improved upon them in the style and spirit of Funko Super7 ReAction figures The quick-draw should work alright on the figures (Kid's the fastest!).

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
You are using existing figures to make these or your sculpting new figures and only using existing legs and arms?

Reaction score
I wasn't sure since you talked about re tooling a vest. So your going to try some sort of modification on the torso of an existing figure? Shaving bits off isn't hard, but replacing them is more difficult. Sculpey putty can do the trick, but may make the paint look darker or lighter depending on the thickness of it you use.

Reaction score
I wasn't sure since you talked about re tooling a vest. So your going to try some sort of modification on the torso of an existing figure? Shaving bits off isn't hard, but replacing them is more difficult. Sculpey putty can do the trick, but may make the paint look darker or lighter depending on the thickness of it you use.
Yes, I am. I'm using Sculpey polymer clay to re-sculpt the vest into a Western style similar to the Sundance Kid vest. You can tell that by the images I sent you. You see, I am trying to recreate the costumes as closely and accurate as possible. Paper circles with a hole cut through them to fit over the figure's head and then sculpt the hat over them is what I shall be doing. I'm also trying to decide whether or not to make boots like the character has or use them from figures like Sheriff Bledsloe or Marshall LeFors and add some neat details on them.

Reaction score
Would love to see the progress on these if you have them done or near done.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Turned out good. What did you end up doing/using for the hat brim?
Thanks.

All I did was draw three circles from normal paper, cut them out as well as a hole through the figure's head and cut down to the right hat length respectively, then they were lightly soaked, molded into the brim shape while damp and then covered in glue to harden, and finally, painted and varnished.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reaction score
It turned out amazing.
http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1116953/
If you ever decide to try it, that link has good pictures of the process. It is also good for making replacement guns, hats...
Until then, I hope hope you find enough figures to make your posse.
That is one good figure.

And yes, I might, but we'll see. Also, which plastic molding material substance do you recommend? All I have is Sculpey.

Reaction score
QUCK UPDATE

The Kid Curry figure will be delayed as the figure I ordered off E-Bay has not arrived due to problems. But don't worry, the seller has been contacted, so we'll see what happens...

SAD NEWS

The Kid Curry figure is post-poned because the seller has refunded us as the item was lost in the post. These Butch and Sundance figures are hard to come by as they are so darn rare. Consequently, there is no Kid Curry figure to go with my Hannibal Heyes figure (at least, for now)... :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
GOOD NEWS

The Kid Curry figure is back on track! I have ordered a new 3D printing pen and I already have a Butch Cassidy figure to work with. More on this as it develops.

CELEBRATION!

The Kid Curry figure is done! It's all finished and complete! More on this as the pictures arrive soon. :grin:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here are some customs I made and completed today!

It's been over two years since I posted and visited here, but I have some lost time to make up right now. Funny how I made two custom action figures based on Heyes and Curry from ASJ for its 45th Anniversary and now that I have created some ASJ Minimates, I am three years ahead of schedule for its 50th Anniversary.