Alex's Indiana Jones collection

Reaction score
Alex\'s Indiana Jones collection

Hi gang,

I had posted these elsewhere but have moved them here for your enjoyment. These will be a work in progress, so I'm going to organize them by film and add/replace some images as new toys or better photos become available. Plus, I haven't yet photographed everything I own.

Alex

Reaction score
Re: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Wow, great, great job! Some terrific pics here. Awesome use of vintage playsets and accessories along with the new figures. Wish I had some of that classic Kenner stuff.

The camels/horses shot cracked me up.

Great job with the Vogel customizing - where is the set of goggles from?

The Young Indy shot is very nice, too. You concealed the belt cross very well with your choice of angles.

Lovely all around!

Reaction score

Lance_Quazar said:
The camels/horses shot cracked me up.
Yeah, I saw those toys at Big Lots a couple of years ago and thought, those are perfect and inexpensive, but they didn't have enough for five of each! (Sallah should be riding my fifth horse, but his articulation prevented it.) I had to keep checking back until Big Lots got more of them in stock.

Lance_Quazar said:
Great job with the Vogel customizing - where is the set of goggles from?
From a BBI 'Elite Force' figure...

Apparently, I bought him a couple of years ago because the head sculpt looks good for a custom Indy, but never got around to opening him. I found him in my 'supplemental Indy toys' box the other day while looking for some of these 'set dressing' toys, and cracked him open just for the goggles. Prior to that, I was using the goggles of the Golden Compass figure of Daniel Craig, but they're not as film-accurate as these.

Lance_Quazar said:
The Young Indy shot is very nice, too. You concealed the belt cross very well with your choice of angles.
I meant to digitally erase it, since at that point in the film the Cross of Coronado is on the floor of the train car, but I forgot to tweak it once I had it in the computer.

The camera angle and pose were actually an attempt at recreating River Phoenix's body English in a freeze-frame from the actual movie.

I also had an old Sgt. Slaughter "Smokey the Bear" hat on hand when I took that photo, since Young Indy's Boy Scout hat looks very similar. But when I checked the film, I saw that Indy loses that hat when he falls into the snakes earlier in the circus train sequence, so it didn't get used for my photo.

Alex

Reaction score

Great pics! I like the use of the old and the new (just wish I had some of those old playsets).

Reaction score

Very cool!!!!! Wish I had already scored those Lats Crusade figures. Is the scale of the young Indy figure correct? For some reason, it seems like he might be too tall. Maybe as tall as adult Indy.

Reaction score

I haven't compared the heights of the figures, I'll look into that.

I was watching the Last Crusade a lot lately while working on this custom figure of the character played by the late Michael Sheard...

... and realized that there was something which had been subliminally bothering me about my photo of Indy and the Grail Knight. It has to do with the 'cool' lighting that's used on the Grail Knight in the film.

So here's my original unretouched photo...

And now here it is with the color temperature of the Knight shifted into the cooler end of the spectrum.

I think it looks a lot more like the movie effect now.

Alex

Reaction score

I wonder if Hasbro is considering making a hitler figure?

Reaction score

Wow Alex,
Great job on that Hitler figure.
What parts did you use?

..and yes, the color of the Grail Knight is much better. Hey, is that the movie paused in the background?
I did that with a photonovel a while back, works much better than having to build a dio for each scene.

Reaction score

Halo11701 said:
I wonder if Hasbro is considering making a hitler figure?
Hasbro addressed this question in a Q&A. Not a chance, they said.
EDIT: Ah, just noticed the funny. Yes, looks like it's going to be up to the customizers to make their own Füher.

Reaction score

Flacksguy said:
What parts did you use?
Mostly Vogel, plus Admiral Ozzel's face and the hands of a 21st Century figure. Here's my thread on Indy customs, including in-progress shots of the Sheard custom.

Flacksguy said:
Hey, is that the movie paused in the background?
Close... it's a retouched photo displayed on my computer monitor behind the figures. For more details, including the original and retouched images, check out this thread.

Alex

Reaction score

Great pictures. Nice job setting them up.

Keep them coming.

-MD

Reaction score

holwer said:
Is the scale of the young Indy figure correct? For some reason, it seems like he might be too tall. Maybe as tall as adult Indy.
Yeah, you're right...

That does seem kinda tall for a 13-year-old.

Oh, and since I wasn't sure where else to post this, has anyone else noticed a variation on the snake accessory with Mutt Williams?

Alex

Reaction score

^Well, Indy might have been 13, but River Phoenix was fully grown and appears quite tall in the movie.

Can't remember other adult roles off the top of my head to compare, but he didn't look much like am actual 13 year old kid in LC.

Reaction score
Re: Last Crusade

Hey gang! I need your help!

Does anyone have a better version of this production photo from Last Crusade?

I want to see the complete artwork on the side of the 'Raging Rhinos' train car, but you only see bits and pieces in the film.

Thanks,
Alex

Reaction score
Indiana Jones and the Curse of Tutankhamen

So I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday and I found this:

I almost didn't buy it because I thought the colors looked too bright and cartoony to work with Indiana Jones toys. Then I discovered that the tiny Earth on top of the Toob was a complete globe which spins, and since I need a tiny globe of the Earth for a GIJoe diorama, that sealed the deal.

For $8 and tax, you get:

Back row (l to r): Queen Nefertiti, a mummy case, Tutankhamen's Funeral Mask, Anubis, Isis, Thoth
Middle row (l to r): the Pyramids of Giza (all three joined together), Bastet (the black cat), a hieroglyph of Re the Sun God (the bird), an amulet of Anubis
Front row (l to r): the Great Sphinx of Giza, and a Scarab.

Oh, and the flat obverse of the Scarab is a page full of hieroglyphics.

My first thought was to use these with the vintage Kenner 'Well of Souls' playset, but then I remembered something more Egyptian which I'd bought years ago... The McFarlane Monsters 'Mummy' playset. I normally don't collect McFarlane stuff, but this one was an absolute Indy-fan must-have, because it came with a tiny jackal-headed canopic jar, just like the one in the first episode of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

So I gathered everything together and threw together this little Egyptian tomb scene...

Alex

Reaction score

Indy and Sallah discover an undisturbed tomb while excavating in Egypt.

Is it reverence for the past which crosses Indy's face... or a quest for fortune and glory?

Sallah expresses a bad feeling about all of this.

They strain to lift the cover from the sarcophagus.

Sallah loses his balance and topples in on top of the desiccated ruler.

Indy hoists him up with an admonition to quit fooling around.

Actually, the Sallah figure fell over on top of the mummy while I was trying to pose them with the lid, and it just seemed so perfectly in character for him, I kept it in.

Alex

Reaction score
Re: Indiana Jones and the Curse of Tutankhamen

Here's another 8 bucks you've gotten me into. lol This would also work well with Stargate figures. What's the globe for? Hmmm?

Reaction score
Re: Indiana Jones and the Curse of Tutankhamen

Nice find Alex, a little paint and those should blend beautifully

Reaction score
"The dead SPEAK!"

I'm doing a little archaeology in my Rebelscum photo albums and found the original pics which are now X'ed out in the original posts above, from Sep 13, 2008. It doesn't seem to give me an option to simply edit the old posts, so I'm quoting the text and re-adding the pics.

So I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday and I found this:

Indy_Egypt_1.jpg

I almost didn't buy it because I thought the colors looked too bright and cartoony to work with Indiana Jones toys. Then I discovered that the tiny Earth on top of the Toob was a complete globe which spins, and since I need a tiny globe of the Earth for a GIJoe diorama, that sealed the deal.

For $8 and tax, you get:

Indy_Egypt_2.jpg

Back row (l to r): Queen Nefertiti, a mummy case, Tutankhamen's Funeral Mask, Anubis, Isis, Thoth
Middle row (l to r): the Pyramids of Giza (all three joined together), Bastet (the black cat), a hieroglyph of Re the Sun God (the bird), an amulet of Anubis
Front row (l to r): the Great Sphinx of Giza, and a Scarab.

Oh, and the flat obverse of the Scarab is a page full of hieroglyphics.

My first thought was to use these with the vintage Kenner 'Well of Souls' playset, but then I remembered something more Egyptian which I'd bought years ago... The McFarlane Monsters 'Mummy' playset. I normally don't collect McFarlane stuff, but this one was an absolute Indy-fan must-have, because it came with a tiny jackal-headed canopic jar, just like the one in the first episode of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

So I gathered everything together and threw together this little Egyptian tomb scene...

Indy_Egypt_3.jpg

Indy_Egypt_4.jpg

Indy and Sallah discover an undisturbed tomb while excavating in Egypt.

Indy_Egypt_5.jpg

Is it reverence for the past which crosses Indy's face... or a quest for fortune and glory?

Indy_Egypt_6.jpg

Sallah expresses a bad feeling about all of this.

Indy_Egypt_7.jpg

They strain to lift the cover from the sarcophagus.

Indy_Egypt_8.jpg

Sallah loses his balance and topples in on top of the desiccated ruler.

Indy_Egypt_9.jpg

Indy hoists him up with an admonition to quit fooling around.

Actually, the Sallah figure fell over on top of the mummy while I was trying to pose them with the lid, and it just seemed so perfectly in character for him, I kept it in.

Alex

[PS from 4/1/2020... doesn't the McFarlane statue of Anubis in the background of that last photo look like a laughing Jar Jar Binks? I didn't notice it twelve years ago, when the photo was originally made and posted, but now it's all I can see. Enjoy!]

Last edited:
Reaction score
My archaeology into my own collection continues. I unearthed my McFarlane mummy playset and the Ancient Egypt Toob. I also found a small jackal/sphinx statuette that I bought many years ago to go with these items, but until today have never put them all in one location and photographed them.

DSC09698b.jpg

Alex