Ahsoka Tano (The Mandalorian) - Speculation

Reaction score
No idea when we will get it but there was a discussion's worth of posts about it in another thread. so here we are!
Talk about the inevitable release of The Mandalorian's version of Ahsoka here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am certainly curious how they approach this figure's design, especially the leg area. And will she get a SG's cloak/hood or plastic?

Reaction score
I am certainly curious how they approach this figure's design, especially the leg area. And will she get a SG's cloak/hood or plastic?
Better have soft goods, bad enough Dark Rey has a rigid plastic cloak and hood.

Reaction score
I think I know now why I like her live-action outfit a lot.
(Though at the same time, it's close to being a rip-off)

Anybody ever played Tenchu: Stealth Assassins on Playstation?
Ayame looks very much like what inspired this outfit for Ahsoka or maybe even Ahsoka herself.
Even the names are somewhat similar.

Reaction score
It's just typical for a certain style. To say it's close to a ripp-off is stretching it.

Reaction score
This figure won't arrive before I'd say October 2021, but it's going to be a really great figure, that's for sure.

Reaction score
Saw a custom on Instagram. You can even buy the custom head on eBay. The legs being used were originally Hera but then it was changed to Maul.

http://instagr.am/p/CIO6YRQA3Mf/
That looks pretty cool. I may give this a whirl. Certainly have all the extra parts with all the recent Rebels redos. And you could probably use GI Joe sword handles or similar for the saber hilts.

Reaction score

it's close to being a rip-off)
Ayame looks very much like what inspired this outfit for Ahsoka or maybe even Ahsoka herself.
Look follows the most generic fantasy Kunoichi visual tropes. That you think it's a" rip off" of some 90s game speaks to maybe your own tiny frame of reference?
If anything...

Last edited:
Reaction score
That looks pretty cool. I may give this a whirl. Certainly have all the extra parts with all the recent Rebels redos. And you could probably use GI Joe sword handles or similar for the saber hilts.
Or use the ones that came with Rebels Ahsoka ;)

Reaction score

Look follows the most generic fantasy Kunoichi visual tropes. That you think it's a" rip off" of some 90s game speaks to maybe your own tiny frame of reference?
If anything...

I didn't say it IS a rip-off... I say it's close to.
Those scenes are even closer.
I do know Yojimbo. I have practised Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu for 19 years, so I have maybe a natural interest. :)

Reaction score
It's not (close to) a rip off. It's an intentional homage to Japanese film and culture, even more so than the Original Trilogy. Star Wars has always taken inspiration from broad Japanese culture, and so have Lucas and Filoni themselves personally.

I say this as a Japanese person (born in Japan). I don't think there's a specific resemblance to that character, outside of bearing a resemblance to somewhat standard fantasy kunoichi design. It's a bit of a reach that a 1998 PlayStation has influence on Ahsoka of today.

There is no similarity in the name other than starting with an A. Ayame is a Japanese name. Ahsoka is taken from an Indian name. Her name was originally Ashla but Lucas decided to use the name of the Indian Emperor Ashoka, which I find ironic because that's the most common misspelling of her name.

But if you feel there's a connection there and you take something positive from it, then there's nothing wrong with that of course.

I appreciate and love this Ahsoka outfit because it has a lot of rich textures and layers and combines Japanese and Star Wars aesthetics incredibly well. Which is the whole episode, really. I think the tabi are a bit too far, but everything else is perfect.

Reaction score
^ On the GL... the Vanity Fair article says he was on set when this episode was being filmed and the famous pick of him holding Grogu was from that day. RD was in full costume off-camera. So cool...

Reaction score
It's not (close to) a rip off. It's an intentional homage to Japanese film and culture, even more so than the Original Trilogy. Star Wars has always taken inspiration from broad Japanese culture, and so have Lucas and Filoni themselves personally.

I say this as a Japanese person (born in Japan). I don't think there's a specific resemblance to that character, outside of bearing a resemblance to somewhat standard fantasy kunoichi design. It's a bit of a reach that a 1998 PlayStation has influence on Ahsoka of today.

There is no similarity in the name other than starting with an A. Ayame is a Japanese name. Ahsoka is taken from an Indian name. Her name was originally Ashla but Lucas decided to use the name of the Indian Emperor Ashoka, which I find ironic because that's the most common misspelling of her name.

But if you feel there's a connection there and you take something positive from it, then there's nothing wrong with that of course.

I appreciate and love this Ahsoka outfit because it has a lot of rich textures and layers and combines Japanese and Star Wars aesthetics incredibly well. Which is the whole episode, really. I think the tabi are a bit too far, but everything else is perfect.

As stated in the very first paragraph I wrote:
I think I know now why I like her live-action outfit a lot.

However, I will rephrase my wording to "very heavily inspired by" instead of rip-off, since that's such a no no word. :) and "reenacted with love and care for the old" - Better?
Yes it's nothing new how Georgie boy took inspiration from Asian lore and cinema, as well as Western. I love it. I love westerns, I love samurai and ninja movies - I am child of the 80s :)

At least she is not wearing knee-high riding boots, like the Jedi. Apart from aesthetics and how this was a practice with our world's own military of old and thereby, I'm guessing, giving it a feeling of "back in the day" in a galaxy far far away, there's no advantage as a warrior wearing those. Tabi at least gives a better balance :) (and look a whole lot better)