AFA Star Wars Vintage Action Figures Price Guide $30.00

Reaction score
And the more they see his immature replies and temper tantrums, the less likely they're going to be to deal with him. ;)

Ian

oh come on Ian stop being that way with him. So what if he cant handle your abrasiveness, doesnt mean he is not in the same camp with you and I, and that is he does, honest to god, genuinely love SW and he's filling a niche. :grin: At least give him time to blossom, and what hes doing is positive, and thats really the important thing here.

Reaction score
Hmmm are you being negative and putting down Missouri, Mr BF34? You do realize you have a very large reputation issue in the community thats discussed everywhere I go and communicate? So please keep negative comments to yourself and dont cast stones when you yourself have issues out there. Please dont go down the path of putting people down from where they live, thats very childish and infantile.

When someone pokes fun of ****** molestation I will say whatever I want...you're a nothing burger, haha, go away...

Reaction score
oh come on Ian stop being that way with him. So what if he cant handle your abrasiveness, doesnt mean he is not in the same camp with you and I, and that is he does, honest to god, genuinely love SW and he's filling a niche. :grin: At least give him time to blossom, and what hes doing is positive, and thats really the important thing here.

Hey, if you look back at when I entered this thread, it wasn't even with anything negative towards him. Just some incredulity that people would actually pay for this. Then, my next replies were directly in response to your posts. When Brian replied to me, he started bringing up concentration camps and other tripe. Yet I still kept a level head, and just pointed out an opinion, which was still based on his customer base, not him. Oh, and I corrected him that he did indeed threaten to stop making this guide.

Then he went nuts, citing dictionary definitions and such.

I laughed it off, played the game with him, and even stated my comments were in reply to you, not so much him. That's when he started with the molestation and nationality ignorance garbage. I've played this game enough times to know he went overboard here, not me. I may have had a negative opinion, but he took it to a personal level. And I'm sure his potential customers can see this, and must wonder what may happen if they run into any issues with these sales and if it'll result in the same childishness.

Ian

Reaction score
I was just curious why Ian and others get their panties in such a bind when people reply that they believe the AFA is beneficial to the hobby.
You would think that the AFA was related to Pol Pot the way they bash it.
It is simply a service that provides collectors with the benefit of a third party grade.
Real simple. Why so many of Ian and his pets get so frustrated is a mystery.

Reaction score
Erik has worked hard at putting that in the past. I haven't seen any re-occurrences of that in some time. And his reply there was in response to the childish cheap shot Brian took at where I live. Don't see you condemning Brian for throwing the first stone there......

Ian

Yea but see, it should be between you and Brian, one on one. Erik shouldnt be entering in and ganging up on him. Thats not really fair. .... and yea.,,, I am getting around talking with other fellow collectors and while I am sure Erik is working hard to work on his reputation and thats a very good thing for the chap, he has a lot of undoing to do as I keep hearing people that are offended. So lets hope he keeps up the good work and makes up for his mistakes.

Reaction score
Well, Brian, I'll ignore the 'pets' comment, since this post seemed more level headed overall. Some have heard this before, but since you seem to honestly want to know, I'll spell it out here.

What are the benefits exactly?

It benefits a seller, because it artificially inflates the price of whatever is graded. And by artificially, I mean it's the same item as it was pre-graded, but for some reason a label and case make it worth more. To me and others, that's collecting a grade, not a toy. It also kills a large percentage of the buying public. Entry level collectors and those on a budget are priced out of the hobby by this artificial inflation. And for those of us that promote it as a hobby for all, this doesn't sit well. It doesn't even affect me personally - I have 99% of what I need for my collection already. But the future is doomed if it is only open to the rich in the future.

It sells itself on consistency. Sure, it's more consistent than those of us that use the c grade, since many people embellish those grades and it's hard to get an idea on exactly what you're getting. But AFA has the same issues. They have had countless items resubmitted, and seen grades come back higher and lower than the first grade. That's the exact science you guys are after? So the individual grader makes a difference between an 80 or 85, while the next one might go the other way, and that difference can mean hundreds in 'value', depending on the toy. To me, clear pictures and descriptions accomplish a LOT more than either system of grading, but the markup on graded stuff makes the whole thing silly.

It sells itself on preservation. Well, if someone needs an acrylic case to store their items properly, there are FAR cheaper ways to do this than AFA, and the end result is just as displayable.

They also assure authenticity. Well, there are PLENTY of examples of repros being accepted by AFA, or other fakes. There are missed coverups on flaws that have been exposed. And don't get me started on the Toy Toni situation. To be fair, it fooled lots of knowledgeable collectors - but these guys are PAID to assure authenticity, and failed. That raises doubts about everything they authenticate. Besides, places like here tend to know more about the toys in question than AFA does, and we will gladly authenticate here for free.

It's not so much that they are evil (not counting U grades - the most destructive practice to ever hit the hobby). It's simply unnecessary. If collectors would just learn about what they collect, they could grade and authenticate for themselves, and then AFA is not needed. It's a lazy way to collect that absolves buyers of any responsibility to educate themselves on the hobby.

There are other issues, but I'll just start with those. The downsides outweigh the positives they do have, and some of the positives they promote are straight out fallacies.

Ian

Reaction score
Hey, if you look back at when I entered this thread, it wasn't even with anything negative towards him. Just some incredulity that people would actually pay for this. Then, my next replies were directly in response to your posts. When Brian replied to me, he started bringing up concentration camps and other tripe. Yet I still kept a level head, and just pointed out an opinion, which was still based on his customer base, not him. Oh, and I corrected him that he did indeed threaten to stop making this guide.

Then he went nuts, citing dictionary definitions and such.

I laughed it off, played the game with him, and even stated my comments were in reply to you, not so much him. That's when he started with the molestation and nationality ignorance garbage. I've played this game enough times to know he went overboard here, not me. I may have had a negative opinion, but he took it to a personal level. And I'm sure his potential customers can see this, and must wonder what may happen if they run into any issues with these sales and if it'll result in the same childishness.

Ian

Like I said, perhaps he cant handle your rough side and it rattled him. But I dont think the guy has any evil intent and furthermore, its really HARD to understand exactly what someone is saying online, its way tooo cryptic. I dont think tho he's being mean. Just shake hands and let it be.

Look, IF Brian is not going to succeed, then let him fail on his own accord. I dont think he will, hes just going through growing pains and this is a huge project. But ganging up on him and antagonizing him isnt really good form.

Reaction score
Yea but see, it should be between you and Brian, one on one. Erik shouldnt be entering in and ganging up on him. Thats not really fair. .... and yea.,,, I am getting around talking with other fellow collectors and while I am sure Erik is working hard to work on his reputation and thats a very good thing for the chap, he has a lot of undoing to do as I keep hearing people that are offended. So lets hope he keeps up the good work and makes up for his mistakes.

And by the same token, you shouldn't be here as Brian's personal cheerleader section. Let him sell his own stuff. You have done just as much in this AFA debate as Erik has. ;)

Actually, if anything, I took our conflict and brought Brian into it. So, this should be between me and you.

Ian

Reaction score

Nothing Burger, you also have your own fan club haha...you may want to take a peek at SWFUK...

Reaction score
Just some incredulity that people would actually pay for this
"this": being my time, energy, hard work and diligence

concentration camps and other tripe
merely stating an example with some dark humor, sorry didn't know you were so politically correct.

Then he went nuts, citing dictionary definitions and such
I believe the word "nuts" is subjective

molestation and nationality ignorance garbage
More humor. Don't take it so seriously, madam.
mad·am
ˈmadəm/
noun
noun: madam

• used to address or refer to a woman in a polite or respectful way.

childishness
So it is.

Brian

Reaction score
Nothing Burger, you also have your own fan club haha...you may want to take a peek at SWFUK...

hahahahahaha :p oh trust me, your issues will take YEARS to go away and settle down Erik. I commend you for working on correcting your behavior because the word about what you have done in the past has stuck. I am ALL for forgiveness, fairness and moving on so I like that you are changing but its going to be a hard road ahead from what I have heard from many many folks :'(. I hope it works out for you as I know you are trying hard to change and undo things Erik.

Reaction score
Well, Brian, I'll ignore the 'pets' comment, since this post seemed more level headed overall. Some have heard this before, but since you seem to honestly want to know, I'll spell it out here.

What are the benefits exactly?

It benefits a seller, because it artificially inflates the price of whatever is graded. And by artificially, I mean it's the same item as it was pre-graded, but for some reason a label and case make it worth more. To me and others, that's collecting a grade, not a toy. It also kills a large percentage of the buying public. Entry level collectors and those on a budget are priced out of the hobby by this artificial inflation. And for those of us that promote it as a hobby for all, this doesn't sit well. It doesn't even affect me personally - I have 99% of what I need for my collection already. But the future is doomed if it is only open to the rich in the future.

It sells itself on consistency. Sure, it's more consistent than those of us that use the c grade, since many people embellish those grades and it's hard to get an idea on exactly what you're getting. But AFA has the same issues. They have had countless items resubmitted, and seen grades come back higher and lower than the first grade. That's the exact science you guys are after? So the individual grader makes a difference between an 80 or 85, while the next one might go the other way, and that difference can mean hundreds in 'value', depending on the toy. To me, clear pictures and descriptions accomplish a LOT more than either system of grading, but the markup on graded stuff makes the whole thing silly.

It sells itself on preservation. Well, if someone needs an acrylic case to store their items properly, there are FAR cheaper ways to do this than AFA, and the end result is just as displayable.

They also assure authenticity. Well, there are PLENTY of examples of repros being accepted by AFA, or other fakes. There are missed coverups on flaws that have been exposed. And don't get me started on the Toy Toni situation. To be fair, it fooled lots of knowledgeable collectors - but these guys are PAID to assure authenticity, and failed. That raises doubts about everything they authenticate. Besides, places like here tend to know more about the toys in question than AFA does, and we will gladly authenticate here for free.

It's not so much that they are evil (not counting U grades - the most destructive practice to ever hit the hobby). It's simply unnecessary. If collectors would just learn about what they collect, they could grade and authenticate for themselves, and then AFA is not needed. It's a lazy way to collect that absolves buyers of any responsibility to educate themselves on the hobby.

There are other issues, but I'll just start with those. The downsides outweigh the positives they do have, and some of the positives they promote are straight out fallacies.

Ian

I will be honest. If it was not for AFA, I would not buy Star Wars figures.
How am I supposed to buy a figure on eBay with a photo on a computer screen?
Yeah, I know, Buy from Rebelscum classified. It is a valid point.
But eBay AFA is so easy. What is the risk? Toy Toni, clones? Who is going to clone a Gamorrean Guard loose AFA 85?
All I buy is AFA 85 loose figures. When I have all 96 in my collection I'm done.
So for me at least AFA is a plus. I go on eBay, buy the item and that's it. I know it is NM+ and it is all ready to display.

Reaction score
And by the same token, you shouldn't be here as Brian's personal cheerleader section. Let him sell his own stuff. You have done just as much in this AFA debate as Erik has. ;)

Actually, if anything, I took our conflict and brought Brian into it. So, this should be between me and you.

Ian

haha you are very cute Ian :p The thing is, I KNOW you adore me and so you have taken upon yourself to follow what I say here and I am 100% fine with that and I like it :D I see zero conflict between you and I; notice you used the word conflict lol.. I dont and didnt. I merely see you have a diffrent opinion. Which to me implies you take to heart everything, which is very cute lol. Like I said, I love you nonetheless Ian. :)

I have only commended my fellow hobbyist and collector for his efforts in appreciation of his hard work, just as I encourage and commend and am appreciative of many other collectors on this site. Being positive, being encouraging, those things will push our hobby forward. Ganging up on someone isnt fair tho, and I think the impression, sadly, that you, Ian, are giving, is one of being overly negative on his efforts. :(

Now, I want to shake everyone's hands here and because this is Brian's thread I dont want to take away from his hard work and attention he deserves for it so I dont want to ruin his thread; I will leave this thread to Brian as its his ;)

Reaction score
"this": being my time, energy, hard work and diligence

That no one has asked you to do before you did it. I'm pretty sure all of that was for your own benefit anyway. You simply decided to see if what you did for yourself could make you some money along the way. Whatever. You're not the first, and won't be the last, but please stop acting like a martyr.

Ian

Reaction score
hahahahahaha :p oh trust me, your issues will take YEARS to go away and settle down Erik. I commend you for working on correcting your behavior because the word about what you have done in the past has stuck. I am ALL for forgiveness, fairness and moving on so I like that you are changing but its going to be a hard road ahead from what I have heard from many many folks :'(. I hope it works out for you as I know you are trying hard to change and undo things Erik.

hahahahaha, I was able to change my behavior but you can't change your personality, haha...I'll try not to lose too much sleep over it, hahaha...

Reaction score
That no one has asked you to do before you did it. I'm pretty sure all of that was for your own benefit anyway. You simply decided to see if what you did for yourself could make you some money along the way. Whatever. You're not the first, and won't be the last, but please stop acting like a martyr.

Ian

It is for my own benefit. To profit and make money. Do you think I am doing this because I want to be prom king? I want to make money off of this. But I am not gouging people. $30 for a full year of data. And you cannot get this data on eBay. EBay only goes back 3 months.

I think it is a heck of a deal. There are over 8,000 prices in the guide. And the Excel sheets are sortable. Which can show many trends. I think it is rad.

Reaction score
I will be honest. If it was not for AFA, I would not buy Star Wars figures.
How am I supposed to buy a figure on eBay with a photo on a computer screen?
Yeah, I know, Buy from Rebelscum classified. It is a valid point.
But eBay AFA is so easy. What is the risk? Toy Toni, clones? Who is going to clone a Gamorrean Guard loose AFA 85?
All I buy is AFA 85 loose figures. When I have all 96 in my collection I'm done.
So for me at least AFA is a plus. I go on eBay, buy the item and that's it. I know it is NM+ and it is all ready to display.

Fair enough. One can argue that all you need to do on ebay is ask for better, up close pics. Just like you would on here (which you say is a valid place to buy). So, as I said, depending on the person and/or their mood that day, a figure may be an 85 today, and an 80 tomorrow. In either event, clear pics can show you as much as a grade can. More so, even, because the pic will show you why it only got an 85 and not 90/95. Most sellers don't include that info. It just validates my assertion that AFA collectors chase grades, not the actual toys. And while you're right, no one is cloning a Gamorrean, they ARE cloning Yak Face, Amanaman, etc.

One thing you said though points out exactly what I tried to say. "But eBay AFA is so easy." This is the problem. It's lazy collecting. You don't really know anything about what you're buying, because you are taking someone's arbitrary grade as gospel. That's fine, but that type of collecting gets no respect from other (non-AFA) collectors. You're just buying off a shelf like you would a pair of shoes.

One thing that really concerns me in this post is you saying '96' figures as 'all' of them. Even if you don't count Blue Snaggletooth, a full set is 100 non-variants. A POTF card showing "Collect All 96" fails to include the two previously released, separately sculpted, R2-D2's, the previous C-3PO, and Yak Face. Does your guide only cover 96 figures, or is this just what you collect for yourself? I'm sure people wanting to buy this guide will also be curious on some of the more desired variants (big/small head Han, smiling/non-smiling Lando, orange/brown snake Yoda, etc), as well as some of the rarer ones (DT Luke, VC Jawa, etc). That's not even mentioning the Droids and Ewoks figures. Are these included in your guide? If not, I'd think many potential buyers would find your guide far from complete.

Ian

Reaction score
POTF shows 92 figures. R2D2 sensor, pop-up and C3PO removable limbs and Yak Face make 96.
it's "with teeth"; "no teeth" Lando, "large head; "small head" Han Solo. all the variants are there.

I guess I should say 97 with blue Snaggletooth.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Whoops, you're right. See I make mistakes. What I meant to ask was the Rebo Band.

Ian

Reaction score
wow never thought of Rebo band. I have 97 in my guide so plus 3 (Rebo Band) is 100. cool. Do they grade loose Rebo Band members?
Perhaps my guide is incomplete.

Reaction score
Not sure I would buy blue Snaggeltooth graded. check out the prices:

1978 Kenner Star Wars
Loose Action Figure / HK
No Dent in Boot
$111.11
Free
3/23/2014
1978 Kenner Star Wars
Loose Action Figure / HK
No Dent in Boot