AFA collectors...do you have a minimum grade threshold and do you always stick to it?

Reaction score
I have a whole half dozen loose AFA graded figures but I seem to be picking up one every couple of weeks lately. I decided a long time ago that 85’s were the lowest I would go as I find that a lot of 80’s I’ve seen just have too much paint wear for my liking. Anyways I have two Fetts (HK 85 and Taiwan 90) and I’d really like to add a Trilogo sooner rather than later, so my question is this, do people have a certain grade floor that they won’t go below no matter what, or is it a matter of buying the individual figure and not always the label on a case by case basis?

Reason I’m really asking is that there are two Trilogos available in the market right now, and both appear to have really nice paint and colours but both are “just” 75’s. Do I want to enter another rabbit hole and accept less than what I deemed to be my standard? Will I regret it and constantly looking to upgrade, will OCD kick in and I’ll stress that the Numbers don’t match, or will I take solace in the fact that all figures are different and not all 75’s look equal to each other? Loose or MOC collectors can all chime in, I’d like to hear all sides.

Jim

Reaction score
For me it's a case by case basis. Because I have seen grades of say 80, that are so nice that they should have been 85's. So if I just collected 85's I just missed out on a beautiful figure at a great price.

Reaction score
depends on the figure I guess. if you can afford it always get the best condition you can. in 2003, I passed on a very rare item because it was "only" graded an 80. It took 13 years for me to find one that nice again and it cost me 10x as much. Sometimes I've settled on a lesser condition item with the idea of eventually upgrading, sometimes I do and sometimes I can live with the lower grade.

Reaction score
Tri logo fett is one of the harder figs to get above an 80. The paint used on the pouches flakes as soon as the arms move it seems 😆this guys a 74.2 and I think he looks great(best of a few I found) The 85’s are expensive and to me it’s a ridiculous price difference.Also I send in all my own figs to be graded and have only bought:traded for some afa 90’s and sure they are a bit nicer but I don’t mind the lower grade because they still look awesome. Kimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Reaction score
When I was buying and collecting vintage AFA figures, I was riding between 80-85. My OCD made it difficult to add below 80.

But then I made an exception- I ended up buying a AFA 75 and I even own a AFA 60. Why? My focus changed and I had to make the change to a lower grade for a few items.

Reaction score
I’ve been a “nothing but an 85 or better guy”.
However, I pulled the trigger on a 80+ brown hair Luke farmboy a few months ago and I can’t for the life of me figure out why it’s not an 85. My only guess is some slight overspray in the boots. It’s super white and gorgeous.

It seems at times it is very apparent why a figure got an 80 vs 85 and other times it’s a head scratcher. That’s the subjective nature of the grading process.

I just picked up an 85 Tri Fett. The price jump from 80 to 85 is steep, but it will (probably) be the last figure I add to my collection, so why not go out with a bang.

But to answer your question, I think the OCD will kick in. You could pick up a lesser grade now and upgrade when the market cools a bit. But remember, the 50th anniversary is right around the corner and I expect demand to spike.

Such a great hobby, right?

Last edited:
Reaction score
It’s a case by case basis for me. Some items are difficult to find in any condition and sometimes lower grade items present better than higher grade items.

I generally won’t buy graded items lower than AFA80 unless they are uber rare or preproduction. I also don’t care to pay a huge premium for AFA90 items either.

Reaction score
This thread has been decent...thanks for all those that contributed so far - I've been debating sending my childhood Fett in for grading, as it is in surprisingly good condition for being played with by 5 year old me. It's got two very small marks on the chest plate and that's it - any thoughts as to how that would affect the grade? It's quite high-grade otherwise. If it's going to come back as a 70 or lower I'd rather just not do it.
F9B512DD-8D8C-4B19-BC21-E14DCDD5C334.jpeg

Reaction score
AFA has been tough on there grades lately what I think is going to be a 85 ends up being a 80. I think CAS is a little easier on the grades, I've seen some CAS grades that are 85, but I would definitely call them 80.

Reaction score
I do 85 and up. I'm down to 7 more figs left to complete my run. As for grading even though paint is great, loose limbs will cause a low grade.

Reaction score
AFA has been tough on there grades lately what I think is going to be a 85 ends up being a 80. I think CAS is a little easier on the grades, I've seen some CAS grades that are 85, but I would definitely call them 80.
Yea I agree, I have seen many people point this fact out. I suppose one reason they would do this is to get more unsuspecting people to use their service.

Reaction score
Yea I agree, I have seen many people point this fact out. I suppose one reason they would do this is to get more unsuspecting people to use their service.
I've had the exact same item graded by all big 3 graders : UKG, CAS and AFA. UKG gave it a 90, AFA gave it an 85 and CAS gave it an 85+. Another big ticket item I had graded by AFA about 7 years ago and it was graded a 75, I had it regraded recently by CAS and it came back a 75+. Both the AFA grades were before they started using +'s too so using my anecdotal evidence, I'd say for normal figures CAS and AFA are pretty comparable. The only place I've seen them really differ were DT sabers, at least in the early days, CAS didn't weigh damage to the saber enough. I'm pretty confident a DT Ben AFA 85 would also grade a CAS 85 but not sure the reverse is always going to be true.

Reaction score
I've used CAS and AFA. Some items from both companies came back with a higher grade than I expected AND a lower grade than I expected. Overall, they were in the validation ballpark, and that's how I view grading.

Reaction score
Sidebar: I hear people often saying "run" where I would say "set". To me a "run" is multiple variants of the same thing. Are they actually just interchangeable terms? Yes/no/maybe?

Reaction score
I completed a “run” / “set” of afa 85 loose a few years ago. Now Im ok selling some and would not mind replacing with an afa 80 or cas 80 or 85....its all a mind set and all are bound in value to whatever the market is at the present time...
Zeppelin: the front is an afa80 but post a pic of the back- if their is a paint loss or scrape it could reduce it.
K: i love that tri- logo fett!!!
Hoth: i think maybe afa has tightened the grading to get more ocd collectors to keep hunting and submitting for that coveted afa grade- perhaps thats what you meant?
Side note: if anyone needs to complete their run of afa loosies feel free to message me lol! For the right price it can be had!

Reaction score
I always thought of a run as a sequential procurring of items. As with numbered items: comics, trading cards. Say there are 50 issues of comic title produced. And I have issues 1-25, 27, 29, 33-47, 49, and 50. 1-25 and 33-47 are "runs." To have all 1-50 is a set. With figures, I could see ESB, RotJ or PotF being runs. Or, runs of figures by order of release. Sets with figures would depend on what you are collecting. A set of all figures that came on a RotJ card. A set of all figures of all known combinations (12A, 12B, 31A, etc.). . .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Zeppelin: the front is an afa80 but post a pic of the back- if their is a paint loss or scrape it could reduce it.
I took a fresh look the other day and the mark on the chest plate was actually a piece of dust stuck to it. I cleaned him up an bit and took some fresh pics - there’s not really any paint chips/scuffs or anything that I’m seeing, which is remarkable for how much I played with this. That said, I do have a pretty beat up Vader that probably took most of the L’s back then, and Fett just got knocked off the skiff quickly in those play scenarios. Anyways…fresh pics from all 4 sides. Anything you're seeing on the chest is light reflection - the plate has even, unblemished paint. This is about as good as I can get with my iphone and room lighting without setting up my diffuser and busting out the 6D.
7B9C814E-3FE8-40DB-83FC-68F26193A879.jpeg
FE1F13B9-6C06-4700-BD34-58E4E0EDB8A7.jpegB086AAD1-1C1E-454E-87B5-13BDAF9B9833.jpegD07F0CAD-53D1-4AF5-8FED-B8C6324C3CF8.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I took a fresh look the other day and the mark on the chest plate was actually a piece of dust stuck to it. I cleaned him up an bit and took some fresh pics - there’s not really any paint chips/scuffs or anything that I’m seeing, which is remarkable for how much I played with this. That said, I do have a pretty beat up Vader that probably took most of the L’s back then, and Fett just got knocked off the skiff quickly in those play scenarios. Anyways…fresh pics from all 4 sides. Anything you're seeing on the chest is light reflection - the plate has even, unblemished paint. This is about as good as I can get with my iphone and room lighting without setting up my diffuser and busting out the 6D.
View attachment 385049
View attachment 385050View attachment 385051View attachment 385052
in that case probably an 85 the visor paint doesn't look perfect. I wouldn't hold out hope for a 90 but you never know

Reaction score
Assuming loose only here…

Really depends on the piece. I like 85s that would regrade an 85. To my naked eye I don’t see much difference between an 85 and 90 so unless I can find a 90 cheap I don’t pay a premium for it.

Below 85 really depends on the piece. For example trying to complete an entire Ledy run with 85s is darned near impossible. I have mostly 85s, some 80s and like 3 75s. Plan is over time to upgrade but prices on high quality ledy figures has been so crazy the past 3 years I haven’t done much. Obviously the US kenner career MIM figures are easier to find in 85 shape than the ones only sold in Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro