"AFA/3rd Party Professional Grading" Debate Thread

michael_mensinger

Reaction score
\"AFA/3rd Party Professional Grading\" Debate Thread

This thread exists as an outlet for collectors to engage in discussions pertaining to the merits or lackthereof of AFA and professional grading in general. Although collectors often maintain very different viewpoints on this topic, I ask that discussion/debate continue in a mature fashion and that participants always keep in mind that all people do not collect in the exact same fashion. AFA debate responses *must* be made in this stickied thread. Members that wish to derail existing or new threads from their main purpose will be dealt with accordingly.

Thanks,
Mike

Reaction score
Re: \"Official\" AFA Debate Thread

Pros:

1.) They authenticate items that are heavily counterfeited, such as 12-backs, DT figures, and VC Jawas.
2.) They look nice.

Cons:

1.) They're expensive.
2.) There's a question about the qualifications of those doing the grading/authenticating.
3.) It makes it too convenient for sellers not to give detailed descriptions and for buyers not to ask questions, despite the fact that a grade of "80" is not universally applicable.
4.) It drives up prices of higher-end items, both graded and ungraded, discouraging new collectors with limited budgets.
5.) I've heard they don't actually authenticate the weapons of loose figures, though I don't know if this is actually true or not.
6.) They don't look any nicer than Oscar's cases.
7.) They don't always deliver on their turnaround times, despite charging significantly more for quick turnaround.
8.) It makes it too easy for buyers not to do their homework and not to learn how to determine grading for themselves.
9.) Are AFA graders allowed to actively participate in the hobby themselves? If so, doesn't that create a conflict of interest?
10.) The existence of grading authorities HAS destroyed entire hobbies before. Just look at the sports card industry.

These are the same point I've been bringing up for weeks now, most of which have gone completely unanswered.

Reaction score

Pro:
----

1) It's the best standard grading system that can be created (every person grades differently)
2) Authentication
3) Protection (not fully though)
4) If tape on vehicles ever comes loose, the item still is 100% NRFB

Negs:
----

1) Only grading being done now is in the US. So dangerous travelingtime for foreign submitions.
2) The making of the final grade is not realy transparant (but that's going to be explained more I've read on their site)
3) The items are locked away, and can't be touched with your hands
4) Too easy for sellers to just state the grade and not give full disclosure on the condition
5) Prices are much higher for grades items then non-graded items

blimpyboy said:
These are the same point I've been bringing up for weeks now, most of which have gone completely unanswered.
And some were made in threads that weren't created for that discussion... Fortunately Michael opened this thread!

-Alex

Reaction score

blimpyboy said:
Cons:

1.) They're expensive.
Expensive in comparison to what?

I think the price(s) charged by AFA for their non-custom work is fair in comparison to what I pay for CGC to grade my comics.

Your friend, TSM-in-N.Y.

Reaction score

blimpyboy said:
9.) Are AFA graders allowed to actively participate in the hobby themselves? If so, doesn't that create a conflict of interest?
My collection is 90% AFA so far, so i'm no AFA-basher, but thats an interesting point by Blimpyboy, that i've wondered about because of a situation that arose.

A *major* Palitoy collection was sold off last year to a UK guy who fancies himself as a dealer (a forum member actually). I enquired about a certain Trilogo, to be told it was for sale, but was at AFA with a batch of Trilogos and therefore price would depend on the grade. When i chased it up, i was told that the particular Grader at AFA turned out to be a collector of European MOC, and had contacted the submitter (the forum member) directly and bought the entire lot and kept them.

I dont know if they were bought before/during/after grading, but it made me raise an eyebrow about the anonymous grading procedure to be honest. Its a story thats always played on my mind.

I've grumbled about the odd AFA issue in the past, but a few grumbles aside i do quite like AFA and do purchase AFA-cased MOCs and Proof Cards!

My personal biggest gripe with any AFA cased products isnt with the company, its with sellers who hide behind the grade and refuse to answer direct questions about pieces! Thats stopped me buying many times!

I guess my other gripe, is i'm jealous it wasnt my idea in the first place

Reaction score

I guess my biggest complaint is that there are people destroying pieces of toy history to get a silly 'U' grade. Bagged Blue Snaggletooth? Rip 'em open! Baggies in general? Rip 'em open! Some of these "collectors" probably don't even realize how rare some of the baggie figures are.

Beater cards (VERY subjective BTW) are getting ripped open for a U grade. Playsets, mailaways. You name it. They are getting destroyed just so they get a silly little 'U'.

It's pretty sad.

Reaction score

who cares.Let people do what they will with their toys. It's their property.

Reaction score

tomstroncek said:
who cares.Let people do what they will with their toys. It's their property.
Then there's the ones who have this attitude. Yep, let's not TRY to understand anything about the item. Let's not TRY to see if there's some significance in it. Let's not TRY to learn about it.

Reaction score

steve_tomlinson said:
I dont know if they were bought before/during/after grading, but it made me raise an eyebrow about the anonymous grading procedure to be honest. Its a story thats always played on my mind.
I'd like to find out AFA's policy on this; if they don't have one, I think they should. What if the grader comes across a piece he/she is especially partial to, for reasons of nostalgia maybe, aren't they more likely to want to grade the item higher? Or, like in your story, they could purposely grade them lower in order to purchase them for a lower price.

I know with the coin market, employees of certain grading authorities are forbidden from even owning collectible coins for these very reasons.

Reaction score

Hello,

Everyone certainly has a different opinion on the merit and need for a grading system, but I will address this question:

blimpyboy wrote:

No, they are not. There is not one AFA grader who collects toys. At most, they may keep a momento of a show exclusive as a souvenir or something to that extent. They cannot grade their own toys or sell any graded toys (nor do they ever sell ungraded toys to my knowledge). Not one existing grader has a background in collecting toys to any extent other than casually prior to being trained as a grader, nor do any graders seriously collect toys after being hired. However, with several graders now having over 5 years of experience in grading toys, they are truly experts, but not collectors.

Steve, you have received false information. Ask the seller who he sold the figures to. I can absolutely GUARANTEE that they weren't purchased by a grader at AFA. If you would kindly send me the contact information of the seller privately, I would be happy to address the issue with him. Wherever he sold the figures, I am 100% certain it wasn't to someone at AFA. It may have been to me, especially if it was a Lumat and Paploo on the alternate picture Wicket cards, but it was certainly not to a grader. Only CIB can broker toys between buyers and sellers. No AFA grader is allowed to do that, and I am also completely certain that no AFA grader collects vintage Star Wars toys privately, nor do any collect any toys seriously. They may buy an occassional collectible toy because they like it or for their children, etc., but that's about it.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Tom

Reaction score

Tom, i'll send you an email, and tell you what i was told.

Apologies if i'm totally out-of-line with the facts on that story
...thats why i described it as a *story*, because i had no way to corroborate the validity of what i was told!

steve

Reaction score

Blimpyboy wrote: These are the same point I've been bringing up for weeks now........ and dont we know it

I agree some of the prices people charge for afa items are ridiculous, especially when it is only like an 85 grade and even if you brought an ungraded version with no damage at all would end up a lot cheaper

but at the same time i have seen cards that only grade 85 take less money than a nice c 9 ungraded one takes so it works both ways and as for 80's they hardly make any money at all unless ultra rare

the service is good in my opinion though but sellers should be more descriptive and let you know whether the card has creases and if there are scratches on the case before you buy it, but thats what questions are there for.

i do dislike the U grade as to me it means nothing, Who really cares if its been touched or not, if its a u 90 or a 90 its still in roughly the same condition

plus the Y grade too as far as I am concerened if a bubble has yellowed it should be marked down because it is also harder to see the figure in the bubble too, after all there isnt an F grade if the card has faded or a loose figure doesnt get a Y 95 if the legs have yellowed but more likely an 80

apart from that though I have used the service and enjoyed the experience, it is good for authentication and the figures look smart inside the case and if you are a minty mint collector atleast if you purchase a 90 it should be in condsition you are after instead of purchasing a so called c9 thern when it comes the back has huge crease that seller still belives would be a c9

but as said people can collect what they want and how they want

Reaction score

Of course in this day and age with deals taking place across the globe its not always possible to pick a carded figure up yourself, there are far fewer dealers with shops due to the internet. AFA at least provides some consistency and reassurance for a buyer - not everyone on ebay has a good camera or is capable of taking a decent picture. Substantial flaws can be easily missed. The grading gives some confidence and potentially reduces disputes.

I think some of the scepticism comes from long time collectors who have been lucky enough in the past to see and handle the items they are buying. Its not so easy these days especially for those outside the US. I remember quite a few shops in the UK with vintage but now thats probably down to two or three, if that, as many have gone web-only.

Times change and AFA seems to have evolved as a result of people not being able to handle vintage as much. Would they exist if the shops were still around? Who knows? but AFA seems to be an effective aid to trading globally.

Reaction score

CollectInvest said:
Hello,

Everyone certainly has a different opinion on the merit and need for a grading system, but I will address this question:

blimpyboy wrote:

No, they are not. There is not one AFA grader who collects toys. At most, they may keep a momento of a show exclusive as a souvenir or something to that extent. They cannot grade their own toys or sell any graded toys (nor do they ever sell ungraded toys to my knowledge). Not one existing grader has a background in collecting toys to any extent other than casually prior to being trained as a grader, nor do any graders seriously collect toys after being hired. However, with several graders now having over 5 years of experience in grading toys, they are truly experts, but not collectors.

Steve, you have received false information. Ask the seller who he sold the figures to. I can absolutely GUARANTEE that they weren't purchased by a grader at AFA. If you would kindly send me the contact information of the seller privately, I would be happy to address the issue with him. Wherever he sold the figures, I am 100% certain it wasn't to someone at AFA. It may have been to me, especially if it was a Lumat and Paploo on the alternate picture Wicket cards, but it was certainly not to a grader. Only CIB can broker toys between buyers and sellers. No AFA grader is allowed to do that, and I am also completely certain that no AFA grader collects vintage Star Wars toys privately, nor do any collect any toys seriously. They may buy an occassional collectible toy because they like it or for their children, etc., but that's about it.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Tom
Tom,

I have several vintage loose figures that I recently have been considering sending to AFA for grading. To add to the debate, I personally think having high graded figures enhances the overall presentation of a collection.

However, during the process of researching AFA for mailing several of my vintage figures for grading, I noticed that AFA is located here in Norcross, GA, just 7.5 miles away from Cloud City collectibles. I live here in NE Georgia and work in Suwanee and noticed this fact. I find it very odd that 2 of the biggest entities in our hobby are so close in proximity.

I guess I am looking for piece of mind that their is no correlation between the 2 companies. Credibility is the biggest factor when trusting a company to grade a collectors' item, whether it be a Barbie, GI Joe, Hot Wheel or Star Wars toy. This issue has been plaguing me for quite some time and I did not know which direction to turn, so hopefully you can address this matter here and put my mind at rest so that I can move on and enjoy my "toys" as I should. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score

Hello shb033196,

I would be happy to address your question. It is no secret among long-term collectors that I actually started Cloud City. It is also no secret that I sold and left Cloud City in 2005 to pursue a different career path specializing in the authentication of toys through CIB. I also now direct the marketing worldwide for all the CGA companies (AFA, DCA, and CDA). I also live right on the Norcross, Duluth border. One CIB office is actually located inside the AFA building itself. These companies are therefore close geographically and in relationship. I even helped Chip expand AFA in 2002 by moving it to a larger city (Atlanta), providing the acrylic cases for a time before AFA bought the company making them, helped to find qualified employees, and even consulted with him and others at AFA on corporate issues. There came a time when I decided I preferred this line of work to running a toy retail outlet (Cloud City).

I retain no ownership in any toy retailer, Cloud City included. All items which pass through AFA, pass through the grading process anonymously. I still provide consulting services to Cloud City, Brian's Toys and half a dozen smaller retailers as well as to many collectors. I can however assure you that the main goals of CIB and AFA are to provide unbiased grading and authentication services, and even to 'police' the market to some extent. There still is a connection anyone can make between the two companies and that connection is me. I would however point out that all I have done is change jobs and focus, just as anyone else has a right to do. My experience in this hobby is also now crucial to AFA's credibility. The experience I have cannot be matched by anyone who has not worked full-time in this hobby for a long period of time, and the only place you would gain that type of experience is by running a retailer. I have maintained close to an unparelled reputation in this hobby for the last 11-12 years because I am very careful to always be fair, balanced, and honest. You can rest assured that you can trust AFA with your toys. I didn't build a reputation which has stood the test of time in order to utilize my position to do anything unfair or dishonest. Please let me know if I can help further.

Thank you,

Tom

Reaction score

Tom,

Thank you for addressing this issue for me. Not being in the "trade" and just a collector who loves SW, I personally did not know any of this information, even though it may be known in the circles of the industry. Hopefully you can understand my concern as a collector from the other side of the "table" not knowing any of this information. I thank you for your candor and can appreciate your response, even agree with most of it. After all, who would be the most qualified to grade collectibles: a person who has been trained but knows nothing about the history or someone who has dealt and retailed in the business for a long time and shares a passion with the collector for the hobby as you must.

Thank you again for your fast response. I feel a litle more at ease.

Steve

Reaction score

Hi Steve,

I can certainly understand and appreciate your concern. Please let me know if I can ever help with anything in the future.

Thanks,

Tom

Reaction score

i must disagree that authenticating companies destroy hobbies i.e. the sports card industry. there is was and always will be too many companies flooding the market with cards and has become way too much to keep up with. luckly in our hobby our only authentication company grades items from a much smaller pool of maufacturers which also by the way are much more rare and valuable. i also do beleive that afa is also helping to preserve the industry for the future by helping collectors preserve the items in their collections for the long haul. even if you dont agree with the grading system or the consistancy( which by the way they are human and mistakes are made) at least today we all have an idea of what an 80 is and what an 85 is, before a dealers c-9 could be a c-7 to someone else. you must agree the pieces are better off after grading protection wise than they were before they were sent in

Reaction score

drzza said:
you must agree the pieces are better off after grading protection wise than they were before they were sent in
It depends on which pieces you are talking about. Loose figures move around too much in the case so their paint has the potential to get damaged pretty easily.

Also, with carded figures, I have seen first-hand how a MOC figure can easily become a loose figure bouncing around inside a large acryllic case: got myself a nice cheap TopToys Chief Chirpa that way.

Baggie figures, sure they'll be fine in the cases, but that's mainly because they have a baggie already wrapped around them for protection. It really appears that the only thing with increased protection are boxed vehicles and playsets. Mainly because they move around a lot less, and the chances of accidentally bumping them while moving or storing them are greatly decreased because of the acryllic case.

Reaction score

too many times have i purchased figures that were described as perfect and looked great in the pictures only to find it is junk. i like that AFA is out there and that they are pretty accurate with their grading. i have gotten a few figures graded, but a good portion of my collection is afa graded (me buying them pre-graded)

yes they make mistakes, but who do you trust more
a guy trying to sell you something and saying it is perfect
or
a guy who has nothing to gain on what the grade is or how perfect it is, and he is just reporting the facts

i trust the guy who has nothing to gain, and is just reporting what he sees

i do have one question

i thought i read somewhere that each piece is checked by several people. is this true, and how do they decide which grade to use...is it, one person grades it and everyone else will agree or disagree??or is it they all grade it individually??

this i would like to know

Reaction score

Could I possibly ask a question regarding AFA. Is AFA and its associated companies privately owned or are there shareholders involved?
Just one thing that has crossed my mind in the past...

Jim

Reaction score

i agree with you sotoam about the loose figures i'm really not into that whole side of the hobby but as a misb playset and vehicle collector my items are well protected after grading from afa.

Reaction score

i think some of the loose graded figures look cool in the little case, but i wouldnt pay the money they want for the grading

Reaction score

lumat said:
i think some of the loose graded figures look cool in the little case, but i wouldnt pay the money they want for the grading
I think they look ok as well. I'm with you on it though, I wouldn't pay the money to get it slabbed and graded. I have picked up a few of them mainly because the price was right: when I can get an AFA 85 R2 pop-up lightsaber and an AFA 85 Imperial Dignitary for the same price as a loose figure, sure, I'll buy.

Reaction score

lumat said:
Actually I kind of disagree, I think having the weapon fastened to a separate piece of acrylic like AFA does takes away from the displayability of the figures. Give me the weapons in the hand any day.

Reaction score

blimpyboy said:
Cons:

1.) They're expensive.
2.) There's a question about the qualifications of those doing the grading/authenticating.
3.) It makes it too convenient for sellers not to give detailed descriptions and for buyers not to ask questions, despite the fact that a grade of "80" is not universally applicable.
4.) It drives up prices of higher-end items, both graded and ungraded, discouraging new collectors with limited budgets.
5.) I've heard they don't actually authenticate the weapons of loose figures, though I don't know if this is actually true or not.
7.) They don't always deliver on their turnaround times, despite charging significantly more for quick turnaround.
8.) It makes it too easy for buyers not to do their homework and not to learn how to determine grading for themselves.
10.) The existence of grading authorities HAS destroyed entire hobbies before. Just look at the sports card industry.

Most, if not all, of these concerns have been addressed thoroughly by Tom Derby (CollectInvest) in this very forum section. Some of them are even addressed by the AFA website.

My suggestion would be to use the search feature and reference the AFA website.

Leif

Reaction score

Leif_G said:
blimpyboy said:
Cons:

1.) They're expensive.

Most, if not all, of these concerns have been addressed thoroughly by Tom Derby (CollectInvest) in this very forum section. Some of them are even addressed by the AFA website.

My suggestion would be to use the search feature and reference the AFA website.

Leif
Most, if not all, are a matter of opinion and cannot simply be "cleared up" by someone in the know. But I'll be sure to heed your advice and reference the AFA website to see what they have to say about my qualm that they are expensive.

Reaction score

blimpyboy said:
Most, if not all, are a matter of opinion and cannot simply be "cleared up" by someone in the know.
True, some of your statements are perspective oriented and based strictly on your opinion. Personally, I have always felt that the more a person knows about something, the greater the worth of their opinion. In that sense, a little information from 'someone in the know' can go a long way toward forming or changing the opinion of a reasonable person. If you feel your opinion based position is so entrenched that it cannot simply be 'cleared up' with some additional knowledge, that's an unfortunate state. Hopefully that's not really the case.

blimpyboy said:
1.) They're expensive.
First of all, someone reading this wouldn't know whether you meant the grading service is expensive or the AFA graded items are expensive. In any case I would say that whether an item should be considered 'expensive' or not depends on several factors including the pricing of competitors, services received for the cost (value), and the consumer's standard of living.

Here's an example of a question that's been asked, and answered by Tom, on several occasions.

blimpyboy said:
A couple of threads that touch on the subject that you may have missed... search yourself for others.

The Grading Operations
Some excellent comments by Tom describing graders and process

This next statement isn't really even an AFA specific issue.

blimpyboy said:
This would apply equally to any grading system including the old 'C' grading. There are as many eBay auctions that list C-7 or C-8 without going into details about flaws. Also a 'C' rating could be every bit as ambiguous. Does a 'C-8' mean the bubble is dented? Or does it mean a paper tear on the card? It can mean either, and is far more prone to not being an objective rating (not being assigned by a third party).

So my point here is simply this... Why suggest this is specifically an AFA issue when in fact it's not? Somewhere in cyberspace is there a 'C' grading thread where I can go and see you leveling the same critisism in crusade-like fashion against the flawed 'C' grading system? This just seems more like a quick easy stone to cast.

Here's one statement that makes no sense to me:

blimpyboy said:
So? Why is that a con? Do they have to look nicer than Oscars? The AFA is a grading service that charges people for grading, not for casing items. Oscar has nice cases, but does he provide grading services? No. Your comparing apples and oranges and implying that the AFA isn't providing better value for what they charge. Sure, maybe that's easy to do when you ignore the service they provide.

Truthfully, I think your list of 'cons' would be quite short if it were based more on knowledge and less on opinion.

Don't take that as personal critisism. I just think you could benefit from some more knowledge on the subject, a more objective view of AFA services, and perhaps a better understanding of the role of 'value' in the marketplace.

This one here...

blimpyboy said:
...I would probably agree with to some degree, but reworded. I think I would word it like this:

"The AFA grading system is complex and thus some people tend to simply rely on the overall grade given, instead of appreciating the need to understand the condition that grade represents." ... or words to that effect.

Leif

Reaction score

ah I like the way you use great linguistic skills to make your point instead of just drop some angry lines.. great!!

Reaction score

I am beginning to get irritated by the U grading. sure there's all of the complaints about a piece of history being destroyed, but that's not what is bothering me.

a ton of lower to middle grade items are disappearing because people are buying them to send for U grading. So newer collectors and those just trying to fill holes are losing opportunities to get an item that they want.

I recently watched a Cut card figure go for more than a damaged card, no idea why, but they both went for at least double the previous going rate. So, the disappearance of these lower grade items is driving up the prices on whatever remains.

And it seems like there are more than enough loose figures out in the world, do we really need to continue making more loose figures? It's not like the figures in these cases are going to be played with, and if something jars that case, the figure can become a lower grade, just by rubbing on the case.

Reaction score

I am not a fan of AFA personally and would never buy anything graded or have it graded myself, though i can see the point with boxed items and carded figure. Loose figures on the other hand are to me a little misleading. The cases for the boxed and carded items are made to fit so it is nearly impossible for the items to move thus remaining in the condition they were graded. The loose graded figures are put in mass produced, and for some figures ill fitting cases, allowing them to move about and rub against the case itself removing paintwork. I understand that AFA recommend how these figures should be stored but most of the damage occurs when the item is sent back from AFA caused by the postal service. That said for items, if they are left out in the sunlight and fade they will, if sold still have a grading of whatever they originally received even though they will obviously have deteriated. The thing that would be better is that if AFA designed a case to fit each figure exactly and to use UV protected cases, i do not know if this is possible with plastic but i have signed John Lennon albumn protected by UV glass and when i take it out it is still like new even though it sits in the sun all day on my wall.

As for the U rating, i think AFA should remove this for the good of the hobby.

Reaction score

I guess I don't have a problem with sealed item grading, it does make it annoying and more expensive for me to find items, but hey, some people like it, and there's no harm in it, except when a figure dislodges in shipment because their bubble is too weak, but that's not AFA's fault. But this U grading is just creating a cottage industry of destroying perfectly good carded/bagged figures to add to the legions of loose figures already available.

Reaction score

Special cases to specifically fit each figure is a great idea, but the cost would probably be high. I'd prefer paying more for it than risking them shaking around and blowing paint loads all over the inside of the cases.

Reaction score

Lord_Tumnayar said:
I'd prefer paying more for it than risking them shaking around and blowing paint loads all over the inside of the cases.
You mean like this...? No AFA case required. Just a spacious trilogo bubble. Apparently, quite a common occurance, so I should just get used to it.

For the record I've never had a loose AFA graded figure that could move around enough in its case to cause that sort of damage.

Reaction score

Lord_Tumnayar said:
Special cases to specifically fit each figure is a great idea, but the cost would probably be high. I'd prefer paying more for it than risking them shaking around and blowing paint loads all over the inside of the cases.
LOL, oh man that's funny. I'm not even sure you meant it the way I took it, but that's funny.

Reaction score

You figured out what I meant

And yeah, paint marks like that Tri-Logo bubble.

Reaction score

Leif_G said:
Lord_Tumnayar said:
I'd prefer paying more for it than risking them shaking around and blowing paint loads all over the inside of the cases.
You mean like this...? No AFA case required. Just a spacious trilogo bubble. Apparently, quite a common occurance, so I should just get used to it.

For the record I've never had a loose AFA graded figure that could move around enough in its case to cause that sort of damage.
The main difference here, though, is that the AT-ST Driver in your Trilogo, has always been in that Trilogo bubble. You didn't pay somebody $20-50 to rip it out of its bubble, and put it into a case that offers it the same type of "protection" that the Trilogo bubble is offering.

Reaction score

Its probably impractical and wouldn't show the rear of the figure off very well, but a thin vacuum-formed bed for the figure to sit in could be made (similar to those in some Jedi bubbles. This might stop so much movement but I guess cost would be a big issue

Reaction score

They should do it, who cares about the back displaying well!