Adding the Lars landspeeder to my garage diorama, finally! (WIP 11/9)

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Whew! An 11-year old diorama gets a revisit due to a (significant) missing detail: the Lars garage's family landspeeder. I don't know exactly why I didn't try to add it before, but it has always nagged at me, LOL. Here is a pic of the dio when first completed back in 2008; note the shallow alcove that could not accommodate a full vehicle:

Well, I still don't want a full alcove nor full-size landspeeder (shelf space and relative importance to the scene). So, I decided I will slightly deepen the alcove and make only the front half of the landspeeder. Here are a couple pics of the structure made from good quality posterboard cut carefully and folded/super-glued where necessary (the geometry of this thing was tough!):

And here she is spraypainted with a good quality darkish-blue (which looks a lot brighter here than in regular light and in shadow like in the alcove):

I have the windows spraypainted and will post pics of that soon. I expect to do the white trim detail with peel-back adhesive paper cut to the proper shapes. More soon!

Reaction score
Diorama looks great. Can't wait to see it "finished".

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Here is a pic of the windows added in; I spray-painted black on the back of the clear plastic sheet that I got from a box that had a window-display on it, and super-glued it to the inside of the frame.

The best shot of the Landspeeder is when C-3PO is "hiding back there", and the windows appear to meet at each edge rather than be separated by a frame like the models show, so I may put another clear window above it, or possibly even spray paint another sheet and cover it over. Not sure yet :rolleyes:

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Thanks, pal! I very quickly decided that I didn't want the windows just underneath the frames, but over them, as seems to be the case on the set vehicle. So, I cut and folded another piece of clear plastic to get it to the correct size and shape:

So I very lightly spray-painted it from behind, like the previous windows, and affixed it on top of the landspeeder this time. With some light, you can see the frame underneath a little, which is a cool effect!

Here are a couple pics test-fitting it into the alcove. Racing stripes and other details to follow!

A bit more light here, but not typical of how much light there is when the dio is in place:

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Absolutely- and it's even darker than these pics show, when it's placed in its normal shelf space! I finished the decals, but they may be a little too thick-lined, so I might try to thin them (and darken them too).

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Busy couple weeks, but I was able to thin out the racing stripes, then I dry-brushed on some grey to darken the vehicle a bit. Here it is placed into the deeper, expanded alcove (these pics are in full lighting, where I work on stuff, so imagine it darker on my shelf :unsure:). Also note the shortened Luke's chair and the broken T-16 model stand! I added a restraining bolt to C-3PO's chest, and the oil bath rag to his hand too. I believe I'm going to try to hollow out the holes in the high wall strip and add some mini-lights.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Thanks! I have since resprayed the back of the full-size T-16 and altered the backside a little, to more closely resemble the set piece. I'm also going to remove the strip along the top, and re-cut with larger, fewer holes- and add lighting!

Reaction score
Where'd you get the Hologram Leia? I thought I had them all...

I'd love to see you sneak a small LED under the Hologram!:cool:

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Where'd you get the Hologram Leia? I thought I had them all...
I couldn't remember until I did a search:

And here is a pic of the T-16 engine tweaked a little, and the ceiling light strip removed for altering:

And another of the Lars landspeeder:

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I was hologram obsessed a while back and thought I found all of them!

Won't hold my breath to find that one though.....
I do marvel at the level of detail you put into all of your works!

EDIT: Amazon has two available, one at $100.00 and the other at $338.00. Yep, my collection won't get completed anytime soon. Thanks, Daigo_bah!!:ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Love the update, this is one of my favorites of yours. It is also a fantastic example of your mastery of greeblies. All those little bits and details are wonderful.