Actual price Point of OTC Vintage style figures?

Reaction score
It is to my understanding the OTC Vintage style figures carry a $10 "Suggested retail" price. Do you suspect that this is what they will actually sell for when they arrive at our local retailers? Does anyone know what the "Suggested" price is for Basic saga figures?

I'm looking forward to getting them, and since they are based on Main Characters I wouldn't mind both an Open and Boxed set. I could see maybe $8 per figure, but $10 will probably keep me at one set and a few duplicates of Yoda and maybe han.

Reaction score
Good luck! With what I've read these things are going to be in very limited supply and geared directly at the collector (ala the protective case). Fortunately I'm only looking forward to the "regular" OTC line that won't, or shouldn't, see a price increase. Again, good luck. It seems many, many collectors want to abtain two sets of these. For me, $240 is just unrealistic for 20 figures.

Reaction score
There's 12 figures due out, and they're around a $10 MSRP so far... They will likely retail for that, as this is a figure set by Hasbro for the retailer to make a % profit off of the item, and MSRP is usually set by production #'s, and final cost to the manufacturer and what they sell to the retailer for.

The reason they're clocking in at $10 is mostly to do with the packaging as I see it. The word is that these aren't going to be easy to find, and very limited. The packaging sounds rather elaborate, for any toyline, and limited run, elaborate packaging means a much increased cost. Generally packaging's cost is made up for in the fact that it's standardized across an entire line of figures. The "Vintage" OTC cardbacks are going to be 12 unique cards that will each be somewhat different. Even the bubbles are to be unique when compared to the regular line's bubbles.

At the same time, Hasbro's going to go with a whole new card design for the REGULAR $5 figures as well. The OTC (Not to be confused with "Vintage" OTC). These cards are going to be more "standard", and have a less unique quality to them (Standard bubbles, no clamshell protective case, etc.) and will subsequently cost less.

The "Vintage" OTC figures also make heavy use of softgoods, or cloth, which is an added expense as it's generally a heft increase in production costs. Their articulation is heavy as well, though articulation is something we should expect in all figures in the line, not just a "special" run.

Really though, the cards are what are going to put these in this higher price range. The packaging of 300th Boba Fett was a major reason that figure (which for all intents and purposes wasn't exactly "special" compared to what Hasbro has accomplished in the standard line) came in at such a hefty pricetag, but people responded well to it nonetheless.

As for MSRP of the standard line, it's still around $4.99 if I'm not mistaken. This isn't the minimum cost a figure can be sold at and still make a profit however. MSRP is usually figured out so that a reduction in price can still mean a profit. The profit margin just begins to shrink as price decreases, naturally.

Reaction score
I am a little bit miffed about the "limited run" on these if that's true. It's hard enough to find newer Saga stuff in good quantities where I live IMO. But that's the way it sounds like it's going to go down. They finally get a good idea with packaging and articulation on figs and then limit them. ERRRR!!!

Hopefully they won't be that hard to track down. I am hoping they put them on the OTC packaging at a later date IF these are difficult to find.

Reaction score
I predict a huge disaster in distrubution with the OT figures. I think if the scalper situation with current figures is bad in many areas this is going to be much much worse. I know we're going to see these figures going for big bucks at online stores as well. I still have to see what these figures ultimately look like before I decide to buy any.

Reaction score
Just do what I did, Pre order a case from Entertainment earth. I am going to be shure not to miss out on these cool figures. Later and I hope that helps.

Reaction score
Kebco is selling them to club members for $10.49 - not bad at all!

I joined them about 18 months ago and although I miss scavenging the stores from time to time, it's times like these that make me happy I'm a member.

Reaction score
Originally posted by dark-side:
Kebco is selling them to club members for $10.49 - not bad at all!

I joined them about 18 months ago and although I miss scavenging the stores from time to time, it's times like these that make me happy I'm a member.
<font size="2" face="arial">Couldn't agree more. While they're a little slow, I'm patient enough to wait. Considering the rumored scarity of these, I'll sit back and wait for these to be delivered to my door.

Reaction score

I agree...

I hate this whole "limited run" crap. These will obviously sell, so what's the point?

When toy companies attempt to create false supply and demand issues, it does nothing but hurt the collectors they are trying to cater to. Waves have been "come and go" enough lately without this looming on the horizon. With this warning, Hasbro has essentially given scalpers the heads up to horde all they can before it's too late.

Has the 1701 debacle that KILLED Playmates once popular Star Trek action figure line taught them nothing?

Reaction score
Anyone know approximately these are due out? I have heard September around the DVD releases, and then I also heard early this Summer. Anyone know for sure?

Reaction score
I've got two words for you guys worried about the distribution of the 12 "vintage" figures....

Order

Them

Well that's 3, but you know what I mean. In addition to people who have been collecting for a while like us as well as scalpers snatching these up to try to sell them on eBay, you're also going to be competing with non-collector SW fans who see these, think they look cool, and grab 'em up. I'm going to avoid the hassle and get my set from a trusty online retailer.

Reaction score
However, with all the people seemingly ordering them online, coupled by a limited run, isn't that risky as well?

And how limited is the run anyway compared to how many figures are produced typically? I know hasbro said they will be released one time, and when they are gone, they're gone. But does that mean it's gouing to be a very short run?

[ 02-24-2004, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: short4astormtrooper ]

GNT

Reaction score
By "limited run" still doesn't mean they'll be hard to get only that they are more limited and not as many made as the basic line. They could be hard to obtain like Sacul with each figure being quickly sold never to return with the only chance of getting them is through Ebay or like the Silver figures(except for Vader) which were made in larger quantites while more limited they were still obtainable if needed.

We'll see what happens when the ANH figures are released in a few months time to see how they sell and the demand for them, I'm sure a few vintage collectors will get them besides the modern collectors.

At $10 a pop only the real die hard fans and completists will buy them. I'm sure they'll be a major hit when they reach the collecting circuit (with only people complaining about the price). It's Hasbro we are talking about here so yes they'll probably be reissued on a different card in 05 either just before or just after EP3s release.

Reaction score
Originally posted by short4astormtrooper:
It is to my understanding the OTC Vintage style figures carry a $10 "Suggested retail" price.
<font size="2" face="arial">$10?!?!?!?!?!?! per figure?

Reaction score
We're used to paying that sort of money for figures in Australia (we're not as lucky as you Americans!).

I'm really looking forward to the Vintage style OT figures.

Just in relation to those saying that possible limited quantities are a problem for collectors. This is a double edged sword isn't it? On the one hand all collectors will want them, so Hasbro should produce huge quantities. The other side of the coin is that if they were to produce huge quantities, they would end up sitting on the shelf (Orn Free Taa style, or however you spell his name).

I guess my point is, if Hasbro make these in huge quantities, they are not going to be 'real' collectors pieces, are they?

You can't have it both ways I suppose.

[ 02-24-2004, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: EvilBert ]

Reaction score
I can deal with the $10 pricetag, as long as I can find some of them at retail. I'm not sure if I'll resort to buying online, but only time will tell.

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet in another post, but over at the Hasbro site they have a Q & A up regarding what was revealed at the Toy Fair. In the post, they list the 12 vintage figs that they'll be releasing in the Summer and the 2nd Han theat was supposed to be included in the ROTJ shipment has been replaced with a Stormtrooper.

You can check it out here:
Hasbro SW Page

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see the Hasbro Q & A thread. My bad!

[ 02-27-2004, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: DarthWormie ]

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Originally posted by EvilBert:
The other side of the coin is that if they were to produce huge quantities, they would end up sitting on the shelf (Orn Free Taa style, or however you spell his name).

<font size="2" face="arial">You make a good point, but I think it is much more appropriate to have classic characters like Han and Luke warming pegs, so that later collectors can pick up the main guys months and years after they're released. Also, most people who collect loose will want a couple of each for various scene dioramas and such, whereas with Orn Free Taa, many people don't even want one.