Action Fleet TIE Phantom 'Cloaking/Decloaking'

Reaction score
When TIE Phantom was first introduced back in 1996 Rebel Assault II Game, I felt that this is so cool! Finally, something similar to Bird of Prey! ...... their cloaking effect!

Specially requested 1:72 scale from Shapeway, I chose the clear version (it is actually translucent). Drilled a hole to fit the Action Fleet stand. Here's unbashed photos of the kit. I say cloaked version.

Since the kit is hollow, I cut the cockpit to fit in the pilot. Trimmed the windows and customised the hinge for the canopy.

So, which version should I choose? There are several amazing customs in the internet (cloaking, decloaking, cloaked or simply uncloaked). To make all four versions will be too costly. Then, I remember toying with my son's Hotwheel color changing diecast cars. I did some research, it's thermochromic paint! Changes colour at different temperatures. There are not many choices so I chose black and blue and both colours activated at 27°C to become colourless. (i.e. can be activated by body temperature easily)

Next, I added coils of wire to generate the heat (max at 50°C) and glued an electroluminescent wire (Sky Blue) to simulate cloaking effect. In addition, I made a sliding base to 'move' the cloaking from back to front.

Here's photos of cloaked TIE Phantom.

Slowly decloaking back to original state.

For the first figure, I chose TIE Fighter Pilot (a must for all TIEs). As in X-Wing Miniature Games, TIE Phantom survives better in battle with an Imperial Agent. As such, I chose Imperial Agent Kallus (from SW Rebels) for the second figure.

Comparison photo against Micro Machine TIE Phantom

Reaction score
That is staggeringly 'next-level' 3D-Printing / Customization!!! :eek: B)

Awesome job itsme - and thanks for sharing: that is inspiring stuff!

[saddestmoon pulls jaw off floor]

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, mates!

I am still a rookie to customisation as compared to GL1 and Unreality. Anyway, I am still hoping that Hasbro brings back Action Fleet vehicles someday.....

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, mates!

I am still a rookie to customisation as compared to GL1 and Unreality. Anyway, I am still hoping that Hasbro brings back Action Fleet vehicles someday.....
Seriously?? Dude this is phenomenal work!! I actually said out loud "that's awesome" when I read about the paint and it changing color due to the temperature changing. Brilliant work! I haven't done any work like this, I usually do repaints lol.

So if I read correctly, you requested this 1:72 model from shapeway? How do you go about doing that? I'd love to have a TIE Advanced/Avenger model. Also how did you cut open the canopy?

As for the return of Action Fleets, I want them to return myself. Over at Imperial Shipyards, they had a topic where we could submit in questions for Hasbro at SDCC. Mine was "Dear Hasbro, with the return of Micro Machines, could we see a revival in Action Fleets?"

Fingers crossed!

Reaction score
GL1, I love all your AF customs!

So if I read correctly, you requested this 1:72 model from shapeway? How do you go about doing that? I'd love to have a TIE Advanced/Avenger model.
Yeah, the TIE Phantoms from Shapeway are in 1/270 scale and there are many different versions. I chose the version that I like and emailed the seller if he can do 1/72 scale (since AF figures are about that scale).

For TIE Avenger, there is already one in that scale but I don't think it is accurate.

Here's the link:

https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=Tie+advance+avenger&type=&awc=6920_1500706517_4ce33fc678db1d2029f021349d255475&utm_source=affiliatewindow&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=affiliate

The TIE Phantom that I bought is from Mel Miniatures (Shapeway). I like all of his versions, very close to the SW vehicles. You need to msg him if he can do TIE Avenger in 1/72 scale.

.... wait till Shapeway send you a promo code. It'll take 15%-20% off its listed price for new buyers :)

Also how did you cut open the canopy?
I cut the canopy using a small saw and trimmed the windows using dremel and file/sandpaper. It is hollow, about 2mm thickness.

Reaction score
Reaction score
How do I go about requesting these for 1:72 scale (Action Fleet size)? Do I do that in checkout or separately? Also under "choose a material" which is the best option for painting?
Great!

Both items are from same seller (Carter3D). Click "Send Message" button and ask the seller if he can make both vehicles in 1/72 scale. If he can do them, they will appear as another product with 1/72 scale and its price too.

You need to wait for the seller's response before adding the new product to cart and checkout.

For the material, I have only tried "White Strong & Flexible" and "Frosted Ultra Detail". WSnF is a bit more grainy but easily painted while FUD is more detailed and need multiple coats.