A very odd request...

Reaction score
“Your side of the family taught him that.” 🤣🤣🤣

Somehow you manage to cover fun Star Wars manipulatives and actually show us how to assemble something all while simultaneously telling these quirky (yet completely relatable) stories from your life. People always say that Star Wars is a generational thing, but really everything you say strikes a recognizable chord. I’ve experienced essentially all that same stuff. I just really, really enjoy your videos!

Reaction score
Glad you liked it! I realized after I had uploaded everything that I neglected to mention how and when I got the Toltoys Death Star, as I'd intended. (Short answer: mail order catalogue, circa 1995?)

In fact, the stories that I told were something I'd jotted down on a piece of paper some time back, without really being sure what video they would go in. I happened to spot the note when I was clearing off the table to shoot this video, and thought I'd throw the anecdotes in as an experiment to see if a mostly-unrelated verbal story would work with an otherwise silent visual.

It was sort of like the time when I was single and hanging out with this girl I liked, and all of her roommates. They put on a specific video they wanted to watch, but muted the TV, and then they played a vinyl album at the same time. (No, it wasn't Dark Side of the Moon and the Wizard of Oz. A coworker asked me that when I told him the story recently.) I don't recall what either of them were, it was just two random things they liked, so that night they wanted to do both simultaneously. I remember thinking it was vaguely unsettling, and yet there were times when the juxtaposition almost seemed to sync. Like a song lyric would almost match an actor's lip sync movements in the TV show. Weird.

Alex

Reaction score
I could tell it was kind of a tongue-in-cheek deal. You would be talking about the elementary school principal or whatever and then just randomly insert something like “the detention block tab goes here.” It was really weird but also really funny. The great thing is that all your past stories and experiences tie in to your collecting in one way or another; your whole life can be viewed through that lens, which is what so many of us relate to. It does somehow oddly all connect.

Reaction score
The great thing is that all your past stories and experiences tie in to your collecting in one way or another; your whole life can be viewed through that lens, which is what so many of us relate to. It does somehow oddly all connect.

Come to think of it, weeks ago, I scanned some photos from one Christmas in the early 80s, and that cousin and aunt are visible in them.

He's the one holding the Dukes of Hazzard garbage can. That's my Mom in black. His mom is at lower right in the glasses. I suspect that one lanky arm creeping into the photo behind my Mom is me.

Christmas Corinth ESB toys.jpg

Neat thing is, it was a total fluke. I'd already been conceptualizing this video series and one day I'm over at my Mom's and she hands me a stack of old photos she wants copied.

And even though the pic was ostensibly of my cousin's excitement over that garbage can, the way the photo is offset, it almost looks like the photographer (my Dad, judging from the height) was intentionally trying to record my haul of toys in the floor in front of the stereo.

Christmas Corinth ESB toys zoomed.jpg

As best I can deduce, here's a list of what all is visible.

Christmas Corinth ESB toys zoomed annotated.jpg

Here's a reference pic of the MPC R2-D2:

Corinth MPC R2-D2.jpg

Here's the sideways Kenner box rotated:

Corinth ESB Toys Tauntaun ref 2.jpg

Compare it to this ref pic of the Tauntaun:

Corinth ESB Toys Tauntaun ref.jpg

Overlay:

Corinth ESB Toys Tauntaun ref 3.jpg

I never have used these pics in a video (yet) but this bit of 'personal lifetime archaeology' definitely informs the overall approach to the subject matter.

Alex

Reaction score
Ah yes...I love that your dad most likely was getting a shot of your star wars haul.

I videoed most Christmas mornings while my boys were growing up. Each one was a large star wars Christmas. You will notice in those videos I have them give the camera a run down of their Christmas haul while I filmed it.

It was something I did knowing years from now, they'll want to see what they got. I only wish my parents had done the same.

Reaction score
Another engrossing video!

Relatable moments:
4). Accessory bursting out and flying across the room
3). Obsessing over school yearbook misspellings
2). Addictive sounds of tight joints popping
1). Getting emotional over fellow figure people (“friends long gone” 😜)

Again, you seem to be one of the only vloggers who understands that it’s not just about the product reviews. Great stuff.

Reaction score
I had someone steal figures from me while at school as a kid. I was so bummed as we didn't really have money so figures for me weren't plentiful.

I made up for it in the 90s when I had a real job. I bought all the POTF2 I could just to satisfy the itch I had as a kid to walk into a toy store and buy one of every fig available.

Reaction score
Alex, you left us hanging! Did you find the Quill accessory?

Spoiler:  
Yes, I found it a mere ten minutes later. I've begun editing the next installment, but I had to go in early at work a couple of times this weekend, so I haven't had a chance yet to finish it.

By the way, as soon as it happened, I flashed back to a couple of months ago when I was working on a Jurassic Park custom. I cracked open the torso of a Mattel Robert Muldoon and tiny internal parts went flying. I found everything but his head. Zak and my wife and I looked everywhere for it, for about ninety minutes.

DSC02351.JPG

Finally, at that point where you start retracing places you've already looked multiple times, and even the totally illogical places, I spotted it. Somehow, it had fallen off the table and caught itself on the height adjustment knob of my camera tripod, which had been leaned against the table by my right leg.

I'd picked it up and moved it a few feet away when I first pushed the chair back to search for the Muldoon pieces. It had miraculously stayed in that precarious location the entire time.

DSC02364.JPG

But, technically he's not supposed to have his hat on when he's in the raincoat, so I still need a different head for him.

Alex

Reaction score
Love the video Alex!

Every father and boy scout bone in me screams out in cringy terror every time you cut towards yourself while removing those blisters.

Reaction score
Every single detail from every single part of that renews my faith in humanity.

Thanks! I was worried it rambled too much, with too many forgotten names in the improvised anecdotes.

In fact, at the 15:30 mark or thereabouts, there's a splice right after I mentioned 'clasps' on some Luke Jedi cloaks. [I meant to say 'snaps', btw.]
I began a story about being at a flea market in Corinth Mississippi and when I yet again blanked, this time on the name of the booth owner with whom I'd done frequent business, I neglected to ever finish the tale. So in the final edit, I cut the dead-end tangent altogether. The odd part is, while editing it rather than extemporizing it, her name popped automatically to the forefront: Katina Vastlik. So I might do a future video about her booth and tell a couple of anecdotes involving purchases there. One with the full Luke Jedi with snap cloak story, and one about a carded Lando who had 'plastic mold' developing on him under the blister.

There's also about five more minutes from this same shoot left to use, but I need to find a free day to shoot some photos for it. I like that clip because it finally dawns on me that Zak ought to be in the shot with me, so I scootch over and let him share the spotlight.

Love the video Alex!

Every father and boy scout bone in me screams out in cringy terror every time you cut towards yourself while removing those blisters.

Agreed, it's a bad habit, and I wasn't really cognizant that I'd even done it until seeing this footage during the editing phase. But maybe it all balances out, because I told a story in a previous entry for this very series about my mother cutting herself during a lesson to my sister's girl scout troop. Specifically, she was showing them to ONLY cut away from their heart with a knife, never toward, and when she reversed direction solely for the purposes of illustration, she cut herself and began to bleed profusely. She tried to keep them calm by just incorporating it into the lesson and announcing they were going on an impromptu field trip to the emergency room, with my oldest sister driving.

Alex

Last edited: