A very odd request...

Reaction score
I never looked up any of the details, but did assume it to be true, knowing that Kenner had scrambled to change directions right as the figure was being released. I’m sure that LOTS of toys in the old days were FAR more dangerous than now, perhaps mainly just because companies were still existing in a kind of consumer Wild West where everyone lived in a kind of less litigious way.

Even so, I remember Dan Aykroyd as Irwin Mainway all the way back in ‘75, trying to convince consumers not to sue over his “Bag o’ Broken Glass.” Even late in the day (in the mid to late ‘80s), some toys still were pretty dangerous. And it seems like everybody was using harmful chemicals and plastics to manufacture them (lead, asbestos, etc.).

Ha, I love Irwin Mainway. I had plans to use a clip from one of those skits but couldn't find a copy online anywhere. It's the one where he's talking about the 'Johnny Space Commander' costume (a dry cleaning bag and a large rubber band) and asks Jane Curtin, right there in the heyday of the movie coming out, "I don't know, Miss Face, if you're familiar with the movie, Star Warzzz?" The way he says it just cracks me up.

Of course, being a Ghostbusters fanatic as well, I got to meet Aykroyd about seven years ago at one of his vodka signings in Mississippi.

240078673_4451971221583073_6347371590230590856_n.jpg

Alex

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hooray! I have a piece I’d LOVE to post, but I’ll wait until this story arc is over…😇😜

Reaction score
Started new job training AND had to babysit an 8-month-old last week. Finally got this edited more or less how I imagined it.

Tulgah might get a kick out of the newly-shot opening in particular.

Alex

Reaction score
Yes! All shout-outs welcome! 😜.

Man, those little spring-loaders definitely do pack a punch! That’s some of the kind of stuff I remember, and should’ve known they probably were made a few years before, back in the ‘70s.

I didn’t remember that the modern mail-away had such a ridiculously long rocket! 🤣. But hey, better safe than sorry.

As always, I can identify with many of the elements you present in your story. My ‘80s mall didn’t have a Circus World, but it did have a Hardee’s. It was the best one-two punch imaginable—getting a figure or two at Penny’s or Sears and then getting some fries and a cone from Hardee’s!

Your rocket-inspired Fett collection has grown to epic levels. This is another fun twenty minutes!

Reaction score
Thanks!

A lot of my local Facebook friends were having fun today, posting what store names they remembered from that mall. I had found and shared a map that had no key, circa 1978, and invited any memories of what stores were where.

Two guys (credited in the video) found a better map *with* the key and posted it within minutes of each other, so that was how I was able to shore up some of my own tentative IDs of surrounding stores.

One of my high school classmates had no memory of the Hardee's and said the conversation was making her feel 100 years old instead of 52. I told her that the Hardee's was one of the only food-service locations of the original layout that changed to a NON-food-related store later on (at one point a proto-Dollar Store) and never went back to being a restaurant again. They must've gutted that kitchen when it stopped being a Hardee's. That's probably why so few people remember another food place in that corner.

I had a specific incident occur in that Hardee's that survives in my memory, so I was sure of where it was. About 1987, I was spending a lot of time in that mall because my mother was the manager of Tobacco Road at the time. My high school girlfriend (let's call her M) and I were in there on a busy weekend night. I'm waiting to order the food, she's getting us a table. I see her talking to some girl, whose back is to me. When the other girl walks out into the mall, my girlfriend mouths something I can't make out and points after her.

When I got to the table with the food, I asked, "What were you saying?" She said, "That was _____", naming HER ex-girlfriend.

I never saw the other girl's face. Not then, not in photos, nor at any time since.

BUT many years later, after my first marriage dissolved, I had a coworker with that same uncommon first name. And we had a date or two, but nothing really clicked between us. I never did get up the courage to ask, "Hey, by any chance did you know a girl named (M) when you were a teenager?" LOL

Sadly, (M) is no longer alive. She died a few years ago of a drug overdose. I was informed by her ex-husband, another high school classmate of mine. His comment sticks with me: "Even though she was a distant taillight in my rearview mirror, it still hurts."

Okay, don't want to end on a downer here, so here's a couple of other things to consider...

Two other future video topics were foreshadowed in today's video. One is pretty obvious, the other was more subtle, but definitely deliberate.

I guess I 'retro-shadowed' the Matchbox/Lesney army vehicles in this one. I hadn't intended to ever feature them again when I originally used them as background clutter in that Cantina photograph, but I needed a counterpoint to the 'non-swallowable' missiles that came later, so it dovetailed kinda nicely to bring them back in this one. If I ever do a video about my Bridge on the River Kwai built from Lincoln Logs, I might even show off some of the other Matchbox cars.

My favorite visual in this is the move from a Kenner insert photo into my video re-creation of it, with the camera coming around to the side to show Power Droid and Kit-Bash Fett sticking up too high in the case.

The last scenes of unboxing the painted J-slot Fett were actually shot first, almost four weeks ago. The figure with the production-error on his paint apps was mailed off a couple of days later, and his replacement could arrive at any time. So the other four videos that precede this one were all shot with the unboxing already under my belt, which I felt helped me craft the overall story better.

The giveaway between the stuff shot on the 29th and the unboxing shot way back on the 4th is the 'room tone'. I forgot to turn off the A/C in the room for the new shoot to match the old, so when the audio is suddenly cleaner, that's the switcheroo. I put the clip from the VHS Droids episode ("J2 Communications") in between them so it's a little less obvious.

Some stuff that had been cut was put back in when I saw the whole 20 minutes in context. There was a shot of me having trouble opening the baggie of the unpainted J-slot that I'd trimmed out for time because it was just a boring glitch. Then when I got to the section where I talked about the baggie of the *painted* J-slot, I had to go back to the raw footage and put the other one back in, so the comment about "why do they always..." had more impact. It seemingly built off the earlier one.

Except the 'second' one was shot four weeks before the 'first' one, so that was a total accidental find in the edit. I didn't deliberately shoot it that way, in fact when the unpainted baggie gave me trouble, I stopped talking until I had the figure out, then repeated what I'd just said, fully intending the initial 'stuck in the bag' performance would never be used.

The only deliberate foreshadowing in this one were references to 'could shoot an eye out' and 'wearing eye protection'.

I very nearly broke this 20-minute video into yet another 'to be continued' which would've forced me to renumber the videos to all be 'of 6' (I'd already bumped their numbers twice before). But I wanted the 'shoot your eye' subplot to bookend a single video, so I opted to go for the longer version.

If I *had* cut it in two, then it would've said 'to be continued' right after I talk about my scheme to 'Krazy Clone' my Stormtrooper. Dropping the Stormtrooper on the table would have become the 'mic drop' at the video's end.

Speaking of Krazy Clone... I'd actually asked the 'Concellation 2021' group on Facebook for help identifying the toy a full TWELVE WEEKS ago, so technically you could say this video's been in prep for three months. Ed Lord was the guy who remembered the toy's name, and when I saw the box graphic again, I knew that was the stuff.

My own searches had been fruitless because I'd conflated the Krazy Clone molding compound with the term 'Life-Life Flex-Flesh', which turned out to be the stuff included in the King of the Gorillas makeup set I'd received from Santa on Christmas Eve of 1977.

240928530_4478730275573834_3412029620565358466_n.jpg

241098389_4478550985591763_2276786199856229638_n.jpg

Alex

Last edited:
Reaction score
That’s some storytelling. Just keep posting here, please!

Reaction score
Indeed! I got a repro based on the original Kenner kitbash, the one with the droid/imperial parts, alternate helmet sculpt, and proto color scheme. Its little rocket absolutely fires strongly enough to get lodged in an eye or a throat!

This is one of my favorite all-time figures; it makes me feel connected straight to those early Kenner ads from ‘78! This custom is still available on eBay.
1630451524563.jpeg
1630451640242.jpeg
1630452566928.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looks great! If it's the auction I found just now, that's the same figure from the site I mentioned in the video. Same person who made my L-slot, J-slot, and painted J-slot customs. Also the same person who is currently replacing my painted J-slot because of a production error on the paint apps.

He has LOTS of stuff on his site that I desire to order. I mentioned in one vid how I am hoping to save up for some of them.

But that figure looks even better in your pics than it does on the site. I may have to add that to my wish list.

If I get it, maybe I can paint my other one to look more like the paint job it had on the 20-back cards.

Kitbash Fett comparison art to photo.jpg

Alex

Reaction score
This custom is still available on eBay.

View attachment 400291

Hey Tulgah, quick question... is the antenna removable on this figure? I noticed yours lacks one, which is my preference, but the website photo shows it with one, which has always stayed my hand from ordering.

1086612241.jpg

If that part is easily detachable, I'm more interested in buying one now than ever!

Alex

Reaction score
I don’t actually remember one way or the other. I don’t know if mine ever had one. But certainly the hole doesn’t appear to hold any residual broken antenna pieces or messed-up glue or anything. It just looks like a hole. So I imagine it’s VERY easily removed.
1630560831841.jpeg

Reaction score
I ABSOLUTELY remember that now! At the time, I didn’t even think about it. It’s like I just shrugged it off and didn’t even consider that option. I NEVER thought about it again. But I DEFINITELY remember that little glue tube! I have no idea where those little pieces are.

Reaction score
Um, that depends…😜.

Nobody does the dio better than you, @Utinniii. You always have without question the most bizarre (and most fun) stuff!

Reaction score
Is it weird that I want that glue tube for a diorama?

Not weird at all. I have boxes and boxes of interestingly-shaped pieces of plastic or styrofoam.

Here's a new Toyaholic topic. My camera chip got full while I was shooting it, so I'm uploading the first chapter now until I can get the rest of it shot.

Alex

Reaction score
Thanks!

I thought I would have this one done by now, but the universe is thwarting me. First the camera chip got full and I had to postpone shooting the ending until a different day off from work.

Now there will be a slight delay on the third chapter. I'd pre-edited all of the footage from the old chip days ago and shot the new ending last night, but when I sat down to add the new footage to the ready-to-go footage... every clip in the file just disappeared.

Sigh. It happens occasionally. I just have to go back through the raw footage and make every editing choice over again.

Alex

Reaction score
Good news is:
I finally finished the Death Star chapter 3 video.

Bad news is:
While shooting an insert for this video last night, my camera fell off the ring light mount and took a hard lick. It's currently inoperative.

I tried to fix the lens, as I'd done in the past and had one more spare part for, but that didn't help.

So enjoy this video, it might be a while before I post any more.

Alex

Reaction score
Great video, as always. But your luck just keeps getting worse! Come on, universe, give Alex a break!

Reaction score
I had always wanted to do that with Death Stars too. Glad to know it will take 9 of them.

In the video from 'Tydirium hanger' [sic] where I grabbed this still-frame, he explains that his cardboard pieces are reprints, and some of his struts are reproductions. I think he made a simple push-mold and cast them, because they are detailed on one side and rough on the other. He also only has one gun on the entire 9 top floors.

He did something kinda clever with the cardboard panels so that some of them can slide behind others, which are taped in place, giving him access to interior scenes. He also has the trash compactors backwards, I think to save space on the overall footprint?

But yes, 9 is how many it takes to complete the 'cylinder'.

Alex

9 Kenner Death Stars make a circle.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I love how many of us probably have experienced some of the same problems over the years. Every single piece of that Death Star is prone to breaking, cracking, or warping. It’s just so hard to find an intact anything! 🤣

Reaction score
Minor updates:

1) Replacement RocketFett, as detailed in the 'part 5' of the Fett vids, arrived from Singapore yesterday. I may try to shoot a quick unboxing video using my son's phone.

2) I've got a lead on the same model of camera for a price I can live with. While I'm a bit put out with its fragility (having replaced/repaired the lens twice *before* this latest breakage), using the same model will allow me to keep using my three spare batteries and separate battery charger, which come in handy when making these vids. Fingers crossed that this option works out.

3) In the meantime, I've begun something I've been meaning to do for a while now... I'm editing a clean-up of my 90s VHS retelling of Star Wars using vintage Kenner toys, entitled 'Whoever Dies With The Most Toys Wins'. Not sure what form it will ultimately take, whether a 'Special Edition' or a 'Director Commentary', but it deserves some attention after so much time. I'm using a file from Martin Thurn, who digitized a VHS that I snail-mailed him in the 90s. I've already noticed some black screens indicating picture dropout, so I may still have to find my master tapes and work from those for a full restoration.

Alex

Last edited:
Reaction score
Touchdown!

Replacement camera is in my possession, now I just need to tinker with the settings to duplicate how I had the old one.

Alex

Reaction score
I’ve always LOVED gear and accessories packs! I too wish Kenner had pursued this.

It’s hard for me to lay off stuff like that. I buy the Episode I accessory packs whenever I see them.

Reaction score
Ooh! I forgot about those! Must have been some of the Hasbro influence on the line by that time. I can't remember if I ever found the hyperdrive repair one. I hauled my Royal Starship out last year and cleaned it up, got some corroded batteries out and got the electronics working again. I remember thinking at the time I needed the repair accessory pack, but did I ever source one? Hmmmm

Alex

Reaction score
...if anyone has a be-headed Death Squad Commander or a 12-back Han Solo that was chewed on by a dog, let me know!

Alex

Back in June, I started this thread and the above quote was my signoff.

For the past week, I've been watching an auction for a decapitated Death Squad Commander figure on eBay.

decapitated Death Squad Commander auction which I unbelievably lost.jpg decapitated Death Squad Commander auction obverse.jpg

My thought was, hey for about five bucks, I can shoot that "how my DS Cmdr got decapitated by my neighbor" video for the Toyaholic series.

Well, the auction just ended... amazingly enough I was NOT the winner of this item. There were at least two other bidders, who drove it up to about $12 with shipping.

Not sure what their project was for it, but they wanted him more than I did.

Alex

Last edited:
Reaction score
And since there is a custom I've got planned for a separate video where I would need to put a different head on a Death Squad Commander, I might actually re-create the decapitation incident live on camera, and then use the end result for the custom.

Alex

Also from June, here's the reason why I didn't want to pay any higher a price for the pre-be-headed one. I actually sourced a beater some weeks back for a very low price, with the intention of using him for both the guillotine re-enactment AND the other custom.

Looks like we're back to plan B.

Alex

Reaction score
It’s now beyond my ken. I didn’t worry about the steady price climbs before, because even the climbs still seemed cheap enough. But now almost everything ‘80s—regardless of condition (or even item type)—is just up in the rafters somewhere.

Reaction score
It’s now beyond my ken. I didn’t worry about the steady price climbs before, because even the climbs still seemed cheap enough. But now almost everything ‘80s—regardless of condition (or even item type)—is just up in the rafters somewhere.
You nailed it Tulgah! I've been watching auctions just to see where they end up. If I want to continue collecting 80s SW, I need to contact my banker and put a third mortgage on the house.

Reaction score
Even school supplies like pencil bags are soaring. There’s very little that people don’t want!