A Tonnika Sisters question-

Reaction score
Tucson, wretched hive of scum and villany
In this weeks Q&A at SirStevesGuide.com Hasbro said that they can't make the Tonnika Sisters.

"SSG: In the event that Hasbro collaborates with ToyFare Magazine or another outlet on a new open-entry official Fans' Choice poll, could you provide the voters a short list of characters that Hasbro absolutely cannot do - such as the Tonnikas - to ensure that the poll results are as useful as possible rather than having unusable entries? Hypothetically, if you were to do that, what characters might go on that list?
Hasbro: You hit on the only characters that would be a waste of time on the list. Everyone else is fair game."

Does anyone else know anything about why Hasbro can't make the Tonnika Sisters? These are some of the Cantina Figures I have hoped to see for quite a while, but I had never before heard that they weren't allowed to produce them.

Reaction score
I think it had something to do with aquiring the likeness rights didn't it?

Reaction score
I think that's the going reason...

...but it's interesting that they say EVERY other character is fair game. Do they just mean movie-wise? If not, time for Holiday Special fans--and Jaxxon fans, for that matter--to start drumming up support for Malla & Lumpy & Itchy (and Jaxxon) in future polls.

Reaction score
Must be some really bad problem if Hasbro would consider Jaxxon before cantina denizens. I wonder if they realize what they said there? ANY character is fair game? BEA ARTHUR. NOW. I command you Hasbro.

Reaction score
It was in another Q&A I read this week that they did say that the Holiday Special was also off limits.

I can not remember the site but the question was for an ewoks, droids, and holiday special gift set.

Reaction score
Yeah, they said they "cannot approach the Holiday Special". But maybe if some site calls 'em on their "Everyone else is fair game" comment, they'll not be so quick to put misleading statements like that out there in the future. A simple modifier like "Everyone else FROM THE FILMS is fair game" would've solved that nicely. So, I hope some sites ask about that, referencing both it and the other site's "Holiday Special" comment together as potential contradictions. Did the HS comment simply refer to multipacks? Stuff like that.

Reaction score
Toonimator said:
Yeah, they said they "cannot approach the Holiday Special". But maybe if some site calls 'em on their "Everyone else is fair game" comment, they'll not be so quick to put misleading statements like that out there in the future. A simple modifier like "Everyone else FROM THE FILMS is fair game" would've solved that nicely. So, I hope some sites ask about that, referencing both it and the other site's "Holiday Special" comment together as potential contradictions. Did the HS comment simply refer to multipacks? Stuff like that.
Well, thechnically the Holiday Special is a film. It wasn't shot digitally as I recall....

Reaction score
I think Lucasfilm has a gag on the holiday special. If Lucas could he would erase it completely from history. So we won't see anything from it. Just be happy with our lonely animated Fett.

Reaction score
I realize that Lucas hates the special, but I don't think he knows how much money he's sitting on there. Admit it, we'd all buy a copy for kicks. Ackmena, Malla, Itchy, and Lumpy are all highly requested figures. C'mon George. Swallow you pride and do it.

Reaction score
They don't want to do Holiday Special stuff. It's possible that Lucasfilm doesn't want Holiday Special stuff. But they could do it. The Tonnika sisters cannot be done, no matter how much they might want to make them.

Reaction score
Personally, I believe that they at Hasbro are stubborn in making BOTH of them, and therefore do not want to make just one alone.

Which is a shame, because I have the strong feeling that Christine Hewitt should have got a figure of her character when she was alive. It just doesn't feel right.

Reaction score
Why not make one and "double it," so to speak? Aren't they supposed to be identical twins anyway? Even if they aren't they look similar enough in the film that Hasbro could just make a figure of the sister whose likeness rights aren't in limbo, then we can buy two and voila. It won't be 100% movie accurate but really sometimes we've just gotta take what we can get. Besides, remember how we used to "pretend" when we were kids?

I still pretend. It's why I don't mind the inaccurate AT-AT and AT-ST, or the "Renz" figure that looks more like Dyer and has a rank badge and no gloves. I've honestly reached the stage, as a consumer and a collector, where I've grown tired of nitpicking every little thing. Whether this is good or bad is up for debate, but it's helping me to cope with the fact that not only will I not get everything I want, what I do get isn't going to be perfect.

So if Hasbro were to make only one Tonnika Sister, I'd buy two and call it a day.

Reaction score
Unfortunately it's not up to Hasbro, it sounds like Lucasfilm has these blocked due to whatever likeness rights and confusion exists. Even though you can EASILY tell that the one in blue is Christine Hewitt, and the one in green is Angela Staines, apparently the naming of the characters (Brea and Senni) has been crossed over time, one originally credited with one role and then later with the other - such that no matter how Lucasfilm and Hasbro try to get around it, they're facing a potential lawsuit - which I don't get, but then, some lawyers are slimy like that.

Hate that they're untouchable for now, but alas, that's what we're being told.

'78

Reaction score
obviously if they cannot just use the one whos rights they can obtain, the tonnika sisters and individual names are tied into the rights issue. i think they could release a figure under the other name "Bresenni", or under one of the other alias names. this figure would be so popular, hasbro could name it bugs bunny if they wanted to and have no problem selling it. i just wish whatever needed to be done to get the rights to the one that doesn't care would be done and everybody would be happy

Reaction score
In Timothy Zahns story "Hammertong" the Tale of the Tonnika sisters from Tales From the Mos Eisely Cantina he writes about the fact that the two are in fact not the real Tonnika sisters but Mistryl shadow guards posing as them.Could Hasbro not release a two pack Comic type with them as Shada D'ukal in Brea disguise and Karoly D'ulin in Senni disguise this may eliminate any legal conflicts.I would really like to see these characters made, whats the Cantina without them??

Reaction score
Mynock09 said:
I would really like to see these characters made, whats the Cantina without them??
Or the other twenty characters they need to make!
I think it's the whole name thing period they cannot be referenced to at all even in disguise.
Beside why buy Tonnika Sisters if you can't call them that.

Reaction score
I totally agree, I know theres 4 new ones out in January for the Cantina and more are in the works apparently for 2010.Ive heard of the saurins and bom vimden rumoured and possibly a new sculpt of ponda baba and Dr. Evazan (about time)I'm dissapointed with both of the previous Evazan figures.Supposed to be a new Bith sculpt as well with better articulation,I hope so I have a lot of trouble getting mine to stay standing without stands.

Reaction score
Although the question posed was what characters you can't do, but Hasbros response was they sisteers would be the one set that would be a waist of time, they didn't say they couldnt do it. As for the Holiday special, Lucas said if there was anything he wished he hadnt done, that was it. however, someone said that he was sitting on a gold mine, and needs to swallow his pride, i think he did that when binks was created(lol). but yes, i would buy a copy as i am sure that many others would also, and with some of the things i see getting produced(mighty mugs) i dont see what the hold up is on holidy soecial dvd release and figures. but oh well, i guess hasbro is too busy making all the repaints that they CAN do.

Reaction score
Bumping this thread because we collectors/fans are still waiting for a Tonnika Sisters two-pack. Any ANH cantina diorama is incomplete without these two ;) We may never get them, but it would be interesting if Hasbro/Disney were to address this at some point.

I know that a character that looked like a Tonnika made it's way into the older Clone Wars cartoon years ago - but that was obviously just a homage.