75222 Betrayal At Cloud City

It's been 15 years in the making, has LEGO come up with a set you want?

• Yes - I'll get this for my collection!

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Maybe - but I'll be modding it.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Meh - only worth it for the minfigs.

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • No - it doesn't appeal to me.

Votes: 15 42.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Also posted on Rebelscum front page - I love it when people link there instead of offsite.

In my opinion it makes Insult On Hoth look like a quality UCS set.

And for the record this is a MBS (Master Builder Set) and not a UCS set.

Reaction score
I don't like the Deathstar so this is an easy pass for me. I'm more into vehicles. With that said, I think it looks pretty awful. The epic I am your Father catwalk area should've been a LOT bigger in my opinion. Bespin Leia figure is amazing though.

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Individually it all works but amalgamated it's a bit of a train wreck.

Reaction score
Also posted on Rebelscum front page - I love it when people link there instead of offsite.

In my opinion it makes Insult On Hoth look like a quality UCS set.

And for the record this is a MBS (Master Builder Set) and not a UCS set.
Sorry, I rarely go to the front page, I just bookmark the forums for the sites I use.

Feel free to edit the link and title to remove the UCS part if you'd like.

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Feel free to edit the link and title to remove the UCS part if you'd like.
No,no that wouldn't be right. I'll leave it as it is and just look like an a-hole ;)

I've edited the post title to remove the UCS part. And that comment wasn't directed at your thread title, it's just that it's going to become a misconception.

Reaction score
It’s coming soon or October 2018 in the LEGO store website. Plenty of pictures there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ive been looking forward to this reveal and unfortunately I think it is a pass.

The rooms look fine but the overall model just looks awkward. I wanted it to be cloud city shaped...a flat sphere with a pointed slope at the bottom. I do like the diving board with Luke and Vader.
I don't have need for a midiscale slave 1 or cloud car. I get why they did it. Its similar to the tie fighter on the DS but... I would have rather they add to the build and release the vehicles as mictofighters or something.

Reaction score
No,no that wouldn't be right. I'll leave it as it is and just look like an a-hole ;)

I've edited the post title to remove the UCS part. And that comment wasn't directed at your thread title, it's just that it's going to become a misconception.
No problem, I'm pro-accuracy!

Reaction score
I'm in for sure-x1, but would have preferred more Darth and Luke Duel area's and less Slave one/Cloud car etc.

Reaction score
Not a fan of this set... looks like a mash up of previous smaller sets.

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The rooms look fine but the overall model just looks awkward. I wanted it to be cloud city shaped...a flat sphere
It does look like four sets charged head on from different directions doesn't it?

I think that if the gantry and the landing pad could swing out 90 degrees it'd look better.

It took me a while to spot the interrogation room. Bit surprised about that inclusion.

I still haven't spotted the Lobot cybernetic accessory that the text mentions.

Reaction score
Not a fan of this set... looks like a mash up of previous smaller sets.
Since we've only had, like, one Cloud City set in the last 10+ years, that's not even possible. :grin:

I like it a lot! There are a few things I'll add to the set myself eventually, but overall I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Reaction score
Design-wise, it's a mess. I really don't understand some of the choices here.

Reaction score
Huge disappointment, and I’m one of the rare fans (it seems) of UCS Hoth so my standards and expectations aren’t unreasonable.

Reaction score
Looks like a big mess, but maybe it'll look better in person. I'll probably buy it anyway, as it'll be years before we potentially see another Cloud City set.

Reaction score
No, that's a print. The text specifically mentions it as a separate item :

• Accessory elements include a wrench, handcuffs and Lobot’s cybernetic band.

Yeah I was just Kidding about the on his head thing. Usually they will put up a video on youtube so that may show all the little details.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Eh, don't love it, don't hate it. but it's not a priority, maybe if the right deal came along

Reaction score
Yeah, first impression isn't that great. They're obviously trying to replicate Cloud City's saucer shapes, but without any cowling on the sides or top, there's not enough there for the viewer's brain to fill in the empty space and achieve an overall satisfying impression (like they did with the Death Star), so the whole thing just ends up looking messy. Then add the wasted empty spaces of two (two?!) landing pads, and the fact that the carbon freezing chamber seems to also be floating in midair (but if you fill that area in, then the gantry *isn't* floating in midair). I do like the other individual rooms, but they are all awkwardly placed together. I think they should have filled out the freezing chamber and moved the gantry to the other side, where the Slave One landing pad is, and had that landing pad as entirely separate piece attached to one of the sides, kinda like the original Cloud City set.

Finally, being that the set includes two Bespin Guards, it really would have been nice if at least one of those could have represented one of the other (Earthling) ethnicities of those among the guards in the film.

Reaction score
Since we've only had, like, one Cloud City set in the last 10+ years, that's not even possible. :grin:

I like it a lot! There are a few things I'll add to the set myself eventually, but overall I'm very happy with how it turned out.
Ummmmm we had the carbonation chamber.... as well as cloud car and much better slave 1's. I'm glad your excited but this set does nothing for me.

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think the sentiment should be "Og vi gør det på vores måde, ja vores måde."

Reaction score
Found this funny pic on Facebook. It was someone's opinion on what this new set reminded them of.
Except it's actually this big:

Also this site does an amazing job of breaking down the lego set design compared to the movie itself. Fact is, Cloud City is kinda a boring location that didn't have a ton of detail. I think the designers did the best they could with what they had to work with.

https://www.brickhello.com/single-post/2018/08/23/Star-Wars-Movie-vs-LEGO-Comparison-The-Empire-Strikes-Back---Betrayal-at-Cloud-City-75222

That said, i do agree that the overall shape is underwhelming. If the designers did a 1st draft of Cloud City using 2 levels, i'd love to see it and hear why they chose to go this route.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the set and will be picking it up day 1 via VIP... can't wait!

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What's truly the most disappointing aspect of this set is that the graphics on the front of the box doesn't have a silhouette to kick start new rumours. For shame LEGO, for shame.

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I've put together something and given them a link back.

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/LEGO_75222_Betrayal_At_Cloud_City_PreReview_181719.asp

Do you know where the above photo came from?
Page 3 of this thread on EuroBricks.com forums... but i'm afraid it's a dead end as that author just says "just found someone made this". Wish I could give credit but I'm not sure, sorry.

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/164750-press-release-for-lego-75222-betrayal-at-cloud-city-announcement/&page=3

I think your article does a great job of pointing out the many positives of this set, while also not denying that it has some shortcomings. Originally I saw it and kinda mentally compared it to Ninjago City (and the docks I had just finished building) and this set is pretty boring. But after looking closer and seeing the movie-compared-to-set I think that's pretty unfair. On the other hand, compare this set to the Death Star and it's actually very much on-par. Ultimately people will vote with their wallet.

Which leads to an interesting idea... is the OT Star Wars line of Lego played out? (At least the OT sets based off 30-year old movies.) Are we doomed to rehashes with minor updates and lack-luster playsets? The 2018 Sandcrawler says yes... while the 2018 Hoth Medical Chamber says no. If I was fresh to Lego, I'd have a very hard time spending $350 on CC when the $300 Ninjago City... or ANY of the modulars, or Harry Potter, or Roller Coaster, or etc... are right next to it for sale.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I’m on the fence about this set. I really like some of the detail, but I think they could’ve made it a lot better if it had been 2 or 3 tiers. I’m more into collecting & customizing minifigures, so from that perspective, I’m happy with the large assortment that comes with the set. Unfortunately, I’m upset that they didn’t do a minifigure of the Imperial Officer played by Jeremy Bulloch. He pulled double-duty on Episode V and that would have been a nice nod to him.

Reaction score
On the brick fence...

I’m on the fence about this set. I really like some of the detail, but I think they could’ve made it a lot better if it had been 2 or 3 tiers. I’m more into collecting & customizing minifigures, so from that perspective, I’m happy with the large assortment that comes with the set. Unfortunately, I’m upset that they didn’t do a minifigure of the Imperial Officer played by Jeremy Bulloch. He pulled double-duty on Episode V and that would have been a nice nod to him.

Reaction score
Sorry about the 2nd entry, I’m new to this.

EDIT: Double post deleted - and welcome to our club! - Jeremy (admin)

Reaction score
Ordered.
Looks like it went available at about 8:00am EST.