7. A Look Back At Han Solo

GNT

Reaction score
From the beginning and into the future this week take a trip down memory lane as we look back at the ANH costumed Han Solo from the past, present and even the future!!!

How can anyone not call Han Solo their favourite smuggler? We’ve gone through the good and the bad times but one things for sure Han always seems to top notch mostly.

Han Solo - Vintage
Well to think it started with this vintage Han Solo figure, there were 2 versions of Han Solo released both a big head and small head version(I like the big head version). Truly time does fly when the first version is compared to the OTC version. The figure was reissued when each new movie was released and came with his handy blaster.

Han Solo - POTF Original
Well the figure didn't get off to the best start but wasn't as bad as some other earlier figures. Han comes with a his Hand blaster and a rifle type gun which would be nice for army builders. Released in 1995 started the line off with abit of buff. Holster wasn't able to hold his gun yet.

Han Solo - Smuggler's Flight Pack
Released as a deluxe figure in 96 saw Han going to extra lengths to smuggle in goods. The pose is pretty similar to the 95 version with a few new additions including the chest. This is one Han fans try to forget.

Han Solo - Jabba The Hutt 2pack (SE)
Released in 1997 to celebrate the new ANH scene we saw a pack-in Han Solo. While similar to the 95 version the new Han was slightly thiner with a whole new arms and chest as well as the 4 can type shapes on his back which wasn't present on the 95 version. Hasbro was moving in the right direction!

Han Solo - Gunner Station
One of 2 Han Solo in pilot gear released in the year 1998, pretty basic sculpt with no added points of articulation at all. Han came with part of the gunner station which is able to connect to Lukes for double the fun!

Han Solo - Millennium Falcon CD-Rom Game
The 2nd Han Solo figure is abit different to the Gunner Station version. This version came with the Millennium Falcon CD-Rom Game back in 1998 and the only difference is that the figure now has a knee joint on both legs which the gunner station version doesn't have. Otherwise the figure appears to be roughly the same, this is also the last time Hasbro made a Pilot Han figure.

Han Solo - Cantina
The figure that changed it all! This version became the best standard han made - articulated legs for sitting, elbow joint as well as the first Han figure to have a working holster (maybe even the first to have a working holster!) Han was released back in 1999 as part of the Commtech Line and has become a fan favourite, so good was the figure that it would be reissued later on 3 more times! [More]

Han Solo - Death Star Escape
The 2001 toy line POTJ saw a new Han Solo figure made without his famous blaster, Death Star Escape Han features an Imperial Blaster and a stormtrooper belt. Han was made so that he could fire the weapon over his should as he runs down the corridor away from the stormtroopers as well as holding the blaster in a more normal pose, the figure features elbow joints but no wrist articulation which is the only downside to the figure. [More]

[ 03-10-2004, 01:47 AM: Message edited by: Bounty Hunter GNT ]

GNT

Reaction score
Han Solo - Death Star Escape

Released in 2002 as part of the 25th anniversary line the articulation took a backseat with this version of the figure, the figure is posed crouching and can't be changed, Chewbacca was the other figure released in this statue set. Besides the weapons he comes on a Death Star display stand which is really the best place to have him blasting away.

Han Solo - Flight to Alderaan
Hasbro was up to no good again by reissuing reissues with stands and who better to release then the best Han figure made! The figure is the same and as a bonus we got a clear stand for him to stand on. The same figure would be released in the Hall Of Fame wave and in 04 as part of the basic OTC.

Han Solo - Original Trilogy Collection
In 2004 we'll be seeing the next incarnation of our smuggler! Han Solo returns with a whole new sculpt with ball jointed knees, shoulders and elbows this figure is sure to be the best all time Han solo figure... as well as the only one to cost alot!

So share your thoughts on the Han Solo figures from past, present and future!

Reaction score
You forgot:
Bespin Han from POTJ and ESB
Trench Coat Han from Vintage and POTF2
Endor Han from 2002
POTF2 Han Carbonite, Jabbas Palace pack in Han, just to name a few.

But a good start.

NEO

Reaction score
He said he was only reviewing ANH Han Solo figures..due to the new Neo-Vintage OTC Han Solo that will be released later this year.

Great job on the review Bounty Hunter GNT, but believe me when I say that you only scratched the surface when you said that this new upcoming Han figure "is sure to be the best of all time". This figure is destined to not only be the BEST ANH Han figure, but quite possibly THE BEST figure of the entire line.

To shed some new (and possibly not yet known) details about the figure:

Firstly, I just want to say that this figure is the perfect example of not only what Hasbro is capable of doing, but also what they ought to be doing all the time. I have no problem whatsoever paying $9.99 for a figure that is this detailed and has so much articulation. This figure got me back into collecting Star Wars big time!!

He sports 14 points of articulation, including a ball jointed neck, ball jointed shoulders/arms, ball jointed elbows (that swivel and bend), forearms, waist, hips, ball jointed knees and ankle joints. This figure is a perfect example of EXACTLY what Hasbro should be doing, for those of us that like very neutral poses this figure is perfect, but with the added articulation you can pose this figure in any way you want, there is no he can't do.

Do not be fooled by these early prototype pictures that have popped up. The pics were of an early hand painted hard copy that masks a lot of the details and also is at the mercy of the artist painting it. This figure is super detailed with an incredible likeness to Harrison Ford. There is far more details to this figure that meets the eye. Also, all of the ball joints are MUCH SMALLER than the ones in the picture. Hasbro took an anatomy class and leared to create a ball and socket in the chest for a realistic ball joint, rather than what they have previously and hideously done.

Just as with the Cantina Han of '99, this Han sets a new standard for all future figures to (hopefully!!) follow. In 1999, Cantina Han set a new standard in terms of scale, articulation and the newly added feature of a holster. This new Han improves upon this a hundred fold, he is a new thinner, more proportioned scale that makes him much more "movie replica" like than toy. Hasbro really tried to capture Harrison Ford/Han Solo rather than just a mere toy representation of it. Hasbro spared no expense in adding as many details as possible.

The detailing is incredible, for example, the pinstriping is sculpted even on the knee joints, where before they had left blank. The vest is not removable, but is sculpted in such a way that you will believe it to be. I was a little disappointed in hearing this at first, but upon seeing the figure, I can honestly say that it looks fantastic, and adds to giving the figure that long, thin look that Han had in ANH, instead of the "hunchback look" the removable vest figures have fallen victim to.

The newest feature though, that sets this figure light years apart from all others is his holster. Hasbro reinvented the holster for this figure, no longer is it attached to the leg NOR is it a belt that is sandwiched between the waist joint, ala Death Star Escape Han. No, this figure has an Actual seperate belt that goes around his waist for the most realistic holster we have ever seen.

Hope this helps....I know I can't wait for July!!!

Reaction score
My favorite is cantina Han. It's still an up in the air thing with the OTC version.

Reaction score
Thanks for those details NeoToys, you must be quite fortunate to have seen this figure in person. This is truly the figure that sold me on the VOTC line. Han has always been my favorite, from the time I was 6 until now...and from the pics I have looked at online, this looks like the best Han ever made in this scale. I can't wait to (hopefully) get it this summer, it looks like a tremendous figure.

NEO

Reaction score
Your welcome mosnab. All I can say is that the pictures you have seen do not do the figure justice.

My only complaint is that Hasbro did such a great job on the Han figure...almost too good, that it sets a new standards in detail and ruins all previous Han figures (we need them all redone now)...and most figures in general. All I can say is that this is proof positive that Hasbro CAN do great things....when they want to, and there is no longer any excuses for garbage product.

I look forward to (hopefully) seeing more figures of this calibur.

neo

Reaction score
I like the the Cantina Han, but I'm pretty sure the OTC Han will take its place as my favourite.

Reaction score
You know, for a "scene-specific" Han, I'm really happy with the DS Escape version. I really like the head sculpt--they captured the disheveled look of that moment of the film. The details are incredible, down to Han's regular belt underneath the Stormtrooper belt--and I love that the stormy belt is a separate piece.

Really an underrated gem of a figure, IMO. I wish they'd done a companion Luke with as much attention to detail; as it is, I'm left with the Gunner Luke for his "counterpart."

NEO

Reaction score
Hasbro sculpted all of the little details including the small belt around Han's waist on the new figure. I plan on buying an extra just to remove the holster belt, as it is a seperate belt) and put that DSE Han's Stormtrooper belt (modified a bit) around his waist for a new super Death Star Han.

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I'm not saying I don't want the OTC Han by any means. I just meant that I really like the DS Han so far too, and I hardly ever hear the accolades that Cantina Han gets applied to him.

But yeah, OTC figures: rock on!

Rik

Reaction score
The OTC Han looks a bit like Chris Pontius to me.

GNT

Reaction score
My favourite Han figure for a long time was the Cantina version released back in good ol 1999 because it was the first Han to be truely accurate to how he was portrayed in that scene and managed to look good in any scene unlike the 95 version. When I first saw the VOTC version of Han I thought that he was a great sculpt but abit on the skinny side...since then his grown on me as I'm sure alot of other collectors will as well and his articulation can't be beaten!

Thanks for the details NeoToys now my only concern is that any future Han Solo figures won't be as good as this version, Hasbro creates 12 VOTC vigures and any future releases of these characters might suffer with less detail or articulation then these new VOTC figures.

For sure this Han figure one of the highlights in the upcoming series, hopefully no one else likes him so I have a chance to pick him up
NeoToys did you see the others in person?

FYI Vator don't worry we'll get to those figures later on down the track

[ 03-09-2004, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Bounty Hunter GNT ]

Reaction score
My favorite is han gunner station w/out knee articulation....I have no idea why.

Although GNT...I believe there was an ANH Han that came with the Falcon Cockpit PC Computer Game.

HA! I was right!

The articulated Knee Han Pilot is from the GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ 03-09-2004, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Ooryl Qrygg ]

Reaction score
It's a tough call, but that new OTC version really looks good. Might try to grab one to open.

GNT

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ooryl Qrygg:
My favorite is han gunner station w/out knee articulation....I have no idea why.

Although GNT...I believe there was an ANH Han that came with the Falcon Cockpit PC Computer Game.

HA! I was right!

The articulated Knee Han Pilot is from the GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<font size="2" face="arial">I have him listed above but I put the wrong title for him d'oh! It's been changed to fit properly.

Reaction score
I've always have liked the Death Star Escape Han, but overall, I've always thought the Bespin POTJ one was the best.

Reaction score
I can't say any particular Han in those pictures stands out as my favorite. The new Han looks promising though.

NEO

Reaction score
Hey Gregg, I know what you mean. In many ways these new Neo-Vintage figures will become the standard by which all future figures will be judged. Hasbro is giving us what we have always wanted - Super Detail and Super Articulation and No Garbage (i.e. Pre-Posed or Action Features).

I'm fortunate enough to have seen the first two waves figures in person, I have not seen the third wave of figures yet. With the exception of the Han, I have only seen the others as early resin hardcopies. I am reserving judgement on the Luke and Obi-Wan figures (as well as the others) until I see more finished versions of them.

I have seen more finished versions of the Han figure, and that is why I am able to provide more intimate details about it and guaranted that it is a thousand times better than the pics you have seen. There was a significant improvement from resin hardcopy to later protos of the Han and I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be the same case with all of the other figures as well.