3D Re-releases Cancelled

Reaction score
I know this is more of an all-over-the-board Star Wars development but I though this an appropriate place to post. It looks like the scheduled re-released of AOTC and ROTS have been cancelled due to disappointing ticket sales and a desire to put forth all energy into the new movies. I am bummed that we probably won't be seeing the OT in 3D now, but besides that, I think it is a good thing.

Read about it here: ‘Star Wars’ 3D Re-Releases Cancelled; Focus now on ‘Episode 7′

Reaction score
Well I'm not happy with that....

Yeah it's the prequel's Andrew not everyone likes them but any chance to see star wars in a cinema is a good thing IMO

Reaction score
Well this sucks. I was really looking forward to seeing those two and getting 2 more cool pairs of glasses like the Maul ones.

Reaction score
Yeah. I was talking about this in the release date thread, but I'll just say again that I think this sucks. I sincerely hope that it's merely a postponement, but I'm not going to hold my breath for anything soon.

The original article that mentions this said that TPM "underperformed" during the 3D re-release. It made $23 million. Is that considered bad for something like this? I thought it sounded rather good, unless the conversion process cost significantly more money. Titanic 3D only did 57 million, and that movie has a lot more sentiment attached to it than TPM does.

Also, though it's not mentioned in the article or announcement, I'm really surprised there hasn't been a 3D BD release for TPM, either. It seems that a lot of movies still make a fair bit of cash on home video sales, and TPM3D has been stewing for almost a year now. Considering they charge like $40-50 a pop for those 3D BD discs, it seems they're passing up a fairly good cash grab right there.

DTW

Reaction score
Yeah. I was talking about this in the release date thread, but I'll just say again that I think this sucks. I sincerely hope that it's merely a postponement, but I'm not going to hold my breath for anything soon.
I agree that this announcement sucks. I think the vast, silent majority of fans (especially ones young enough to not have the knee-jerk prequel-hating mentality) are going to be bummed.

The original article that mentions this said that TPM "underperformed" during the 3D re-release. It made $23 million. Is that considered bad for something like this? I thought it sounded rather good, unless the conversion process cost significantly more money. Titanic 3D only did 57 million, and that movie has a lot more sentiment attached to it than TPM does.
This isn't a slam on you, but the way you interpreted the article shows the weird media bias that has always been stacked against the prequels, and TPM in specific. The article only gives a sliver of info, slants with negative words like "underperformed" and leads you to believe that's what TPM 3D did. Yes, it made 23 million--OPENING WEEKEND. Which, by the way, beats the opening weekends of classics like Titanic 3D, Beauty & the Beast 3D, Finding Nemo 3D, and Toy Story 1 & 2 3D. Its full domestic gross was over $40 mil, and its worldwide gross was upwards of $100 million (beating the totals of Beauty & the Beast 3D, Finding Nemo 3D and Toy Story 1 & 2 in 3D), which is more than some first run movies make in their full run. And this was for the SW movie that "everyone" supposedly hates. Puts a different spin on things that way, doesn't it? Imagine what ROTS could do at the box office...not to mention how awesome it would be to see it in 3D on the big screen.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I agree with pretty much everything you just said. When you look at the numbers this action is just unfathomable.

DTW

Reaction score
I agree with pretty much everything you just said. When you look at the numbers this action is just unfathomable.
This is pretty much a power play by the new heads to establish themselves as the brain trust behind Star Wars. It's like when a new TV exec comes in and suddenly cancels or changes things just to put his stamp on them. They want the world to focus on their Lucas-free Star Wars sequels, which I personally have zero interest in. So, they don't want to put the prequels or IV-VI out there in 3D to remind people that maybe, just maybe, the guy who actually CREATED STAR WARS did make some pretty darn good movies after all. If anything, the fact that TPM DIDN'T bomb probably freaked them out, because it lessens their ability to say, "We're fixing all the stuff that guy got wrong! C'mon, trust us!"

The guy who wrote the ScreenRant article also can't spell "wane" correctly and the Deadline piece was horribly slanted ("debuted to only $23M domestically" is a ridiculous statement, especially considering how that stacks up against the other 3D re-release openings listed above), but that's about what I'd expect from this kind of prequel-hating shill PR piece.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First I was bummed episode 2 was pushed back, now I'm bummed cause they're all canceled. What the heck?

Reaction score
This is pretty much a power play by the new heads to establish themselves as the brain trust behind Star Wars. It's like when a new TV exec comes in and suddenly cancels or changes things just to put his stamp on them. They want the world to focus on their Lucas-free Star Wars sequels, which I personally have zero interest in. So, they don't want to put the prequels or IV-VI out there in 3D to remind people that maybe, just maybe, the guy who actually CREATED STAR WARS did make some pretty darn good movies after all. If anything, the fact that TPM DIDN'T bomb probably freaked them out, because it lessens their ability to say, "We're fixing all the stuff that guy got wrong! C'mon, trust us!"

The guy who wrote the article also can't spell "wane" correctly, but that's about what I'd expect from this kind of prequel-hating shill PR piece.
Heh, that's what I get for not double checking the figures myself. I was talking about this with my wife a bit, and I said pretty much what you say right here. I think this probably has a lot more to do with not wanting to give FOX any more money for distribution.

Honestly, this news actually does make me a bit nervous about the potential cross-company agreements that need to happen to get A New Hope back into LFL's hands. FOX currently owns the film in perpetuity, which means Disney has to basically buy the IP back from them, if I'm not mistaken. If this 3D postponement is a sign of things to come, we may not see the 3D releases until they revert to Disney in 2018(?). While it'd be a disappointment to wait that long, I hope they give us some idea of what's in store for them sooner than later.

DTW

Reaction score
Heh, that's what I get for not double checking the figures myself. I was talking about this with my wife a bit, and I said pretty much what you say right here. I think this probably has a lot more to do with not wanting to give FOX any more money for distribution.
Good point about Fox. I don't really know how the current distribution/profit set-up works with them and the films, but considering how Disney muscled other studios over the Marvel films that were under different banners, it's likely that's playing a role here, too. It sucks that these behind-the-scenes power struggles are depriving fans of just being able to see the movies on the big screen.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Glad I went to the 3D Presentation at Celebration where they showed a tiny piece of ATOC in 3D.

I was looking forward to seeing the films on the big screen again.

Reaction score
Not to bemoan the point too much more, but TPM 3D was the first time I saw a Star Wars film in theaters with my Dad. It was a really important moment for me, and I was looking forward to repeating that experience with II and III.

DTW

Reaction score
Not to bemoan the point too much more, but TPM 3D was the first time I saw a Star Wars film in theaters with my Dad. It was a really important moment for me, and I was looking forward to repeating that experience with II and III.
This shows another important point that the prequel-haters fail to acknowledge. For a lot of us (possibly the majority at this point, given how many new young fans Clone Wars has brought into experiencing the prequels and OT), seeing the prequels can have just as much emotional importance, nostalgia, etc. as seeing the OT has for them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't like PT, SE, CW and probably ST. What I don't like even more is spoiling other people's enjoyment with these movies.

Reaction score
No big loss here. You mean I won't be able to eventually see George Lucas's latest defilement of the Original Trilogy with a gimmick? Oh noes!

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how much did it cost to convert each film to 3D and do they have both AOTC and ROTS completed? Yeah, I wasn't looking forward to them, but still, to throw away such an investment seems... wasteful.

GNT

Reaction score
In all honesty I'm not really worried if it stays cancelled or gets pushed back. Ive seen them on the big screen multiple times as it is so I consider myself happy and not overly worried as I thought TPM in 3D was pretty sucky anyway.

However I do think newer fans and kids should have a chance to see them on the big screen, what they should've just done is release one every 2 or 3 weeks at the box office.

Reaction score
Seems like a bogus cover story IMHO. The team working on the 3D conversion was outsourced anyway so I really don't see how not doing these movies in 3D would be freeing up any resources toward the production of the Sequel Trilogy.

Reaction score
the article just says they've cancelled the "theatrical release" of the 3D conversions. not the 3D conversions themselves. --> it's safe to assume the 3D versions will go straight-to-bluray.

Reaction score
I'm sad only bc I had visions of taking my kids to see the OT when they got around to them. Dang.

Reaction score
(Sigh). Well, color me disappointed. Forget the 3D and how bad or good it was, I'm just sad I won't get the chance to see the complete Prequel Trilogy theatrically at an age where I can actually appreciate the experience of seeing a Star Wars movie on the big screen as opposed to when the movies first came out and I was in grade school.

I guess this means no 3D Original Trilogy either, which really sucks seeing as up to this point, I've never seen Eps. 4, 5, or 6 theatrically as I was too young for the Special Edition re-releases.

:(

Reaction score
Seems like a bogus cover story IMHO. The team working on the 3D conversion was outsourced anyway so I really don't see how not doing these movies in 3D would be freeing up any resources toward the production of the Sequel Trilogy.

That teams presentation at Celebration was really technical at times but it was obvious lots of people put lots of effort and time into the whole 3D conversion. I feel bad for them that they put in all of that work and the "big dance" has bcanceledlled.

Reaction score
CNN is reporting "postponed" (not cancelled).

The release of 3-D versions of "Star Wars" Episodes II and III, previously planned for next fall, have been postponed while Lucasfilm focuses on new episodes, the company said Monday. "Given the recent development that we are moving forward with a new Star Wars trilogy, we will now focus 100% of our efforts on "Star Wars: Episode VII" in order to ensure the best possible experience for our fans," Lucasfilm said.
The revised 3-D release plans will be announced "at a later date," it said.
'Star Wars' Episodes II and III in 3-D delayed - CNN.com

Reaction score
Was really excited about the 3D prequels..sad that they cancelled 3d for ep 2 & 3. I wasn't too thrilled about them making 3d's for ep 4/5 & 6, thought they were milking it.

Reaction score
I watched The Phantom Menace in 3D once and the experience was underwhelming, to say the least. It looked more like an upscaled Blu-Ray than actual film - the entire image had an unnatural, waxy appearance. I had no plans of watching Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith in 3D. I didn't like either film enough to bother. I am somewhat disappointed about the original trilogy, but they would have been the latest SE versions that were released on Blu-Ray no doubt, so maybe it's for the best. I wouldn't be surprised if there are marathons of the first six films in theaters prior to the release of the new film, however, so all hope may not be lost for those who were looking forward to them.

Reaction score
(Sigh). Well, color me disappointed. Forget the 3D and how bad or good it was, I'm just sad I won't get the chance to see the complete Prequel Trilogy theatrically at an age where I can actually appreciate the experience of seeing a Star Wars movie on the big screen as opposed to when the movies first came out and I was in grade school.

I guess this means no 3D Original Trilogy either, which really sucks seeing as up to this point, I've never seen Eps. 4, 5, or 6 theatrically as I was too young for the Special Edition re-releases.

:(
Hell, man, I've never seen the original theatrical cuts in a theater and have no hope of EVER having that happen. THAT'S a bummer. Even if they did the Special editions it wouldn't be the same. I hope for those who don't care about it that they just re-release the movies in 2D as a special event or something like that. I won't see them, but it would be cool for those who haven't.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Curious how FOX feels. They had the distribution rights. TPM made $102 million in domestic and foreign box office. That puts it in third place all time behind The Lion King and Titanic.

If a rerelease can make over $100M then you know it was hugely profitable. No way should anyone view TPM's box office as disappointing. So while I'm not a prequel fan - I'm surprised that's the reason being given here.

3D Re-Releases

Reaction score
I honestly could careless about 3D releases but with the new films coming, I really what to give my kids the theater experience of Star Wars (all of them). As soon as TPM was over, my daughter asked to see AotC and was sad to have to wait a year - now longer, if ever.

DTW

Reaction score
Curious how FOX feels. They had the distribution rights. TPM made $102 million in domestic and foreign box office. That puts it in third place all time behind The Lion King and Titanic.

If a rerelease can make over $100M then you know it was hugely profitable. No way should anyone view TPM's box office as disappointing. So while I'm not a prequel fan - I'm surprised that's the reason being given here.

3D Re-Releases
Yeah, it seems to be more of the same bias when discussing anything relating to the prequels. Love them or hate them, the numbers don't support the perception they're trying to give about any "disappointing" performance for TPM 3D or the prequels in general.

Reaction score
The stupidity of Disney amazes me. I'd assume most of the work is done. All that's left is some modest promotion.

I just saw where Jurassic Park made $18M this weekend for its 3D re-release. That's $4M LESS than TPM made in its first week. Does Disney not see the $$$$ they could make? Plus it would geek up a few folks, especially if we could ever get to the OT. Meh - Disney seems clueless here. Worried that 3D re-releases could have anything but a good effect on the sequel trilogy.

DTW

Reaction score
The stupidity of Disney amazes me. I'd assume most of the work is done. All that's left is some modest promotion.

I just saw where Jurassic Park made $18M this weekend for its 3D re-release. That's $4M LESS than TPM made in its first week. Does Disney not see the $$$$ they could make? Plus it would geek up a few folks, especially if we could ever get to the OT. Meh - Disney seems clueless here. Worried that 3D re-releases could have anything but a good effect on the sequel trilogy.
Disney's decision seems to not be based on money here, but solely on sticking to their hard-nosed strategy for the "brand," which is to toss out everything that doesn't relate to their sequel plans. Looks like the 3-D re-releases were a victim of it, Clone Wars was canceled because of it, and several completed video games are unlikely to be released due to it.

And while I'm glad to hear that TPM 3D outperformed so many other high-profile 3D opening weekends (not just JP, but Titanic, too), it's sad to say it will never get the credit for doing so. Because to admit that would mean the nerd-media at large would also have to admit that some people actually do like the prequels, and then they'd burst into flame or something.

Reaction score
Eh, we'd just argue that TPM 3D's performance was a result of fans wanting to ensure that all six Star Wars films got the 3D release treatment. Remember, we were told last year that TPM's box office would determine whether the rest of the films got released. ;)

DTW

Reaction score
Eh, we'd just argue that TPM 3D's performance was a result of fans wanting to ensure that all six Star Wars films got the 3D release treatment. Remember, we were told last year that TPM's box office would determine whether the rest of the films got released. ;)
People wanting all the movies (PT and OT) to be released isn't inconsistent with people liking TPM. You're skewing it as if wanting "all six Star Wars films" to get a 3D release really means "just the OT ones." I legitimately feel sorry for anyone who felt compelled to go see a movie (possibly multiple times!) that they actively dislike. Unfortunately, it's that kind of mentality that will prove Disney right in doing whatever it wants with Star Wars.

Reaction score
Clone Wars was cancelled because Cartoon Network had first refusal, and Disney wants products that they can distribute themselves through their own channels.
3D rereleases were cancelled because FOX had the distribution rights, and Disney is only interested in products that they can distribute themselves through their own channels.

Disney owns so many different media companies, its mind boggling. Whenever possible they try to cross-promote their own companies, and shut everybody else out.
Like an(y) ethnic community that only hires its own kind, they share economic activity with THEMSELVES and nobody else.

--> Why would they pay to develop a product for TSN, when they own ESPN?
Why would they pay to develop a product for CBS, when they own ABC?

By the same token, why would they pay to develop a product for Cartoon Network, when they can just END the cartoon network show, and start a NEW show, and develop it for themselves?
make no mistake: if Disney owned cartoon network then the Clone Wars would not have been cancelled; if Disney owned the distribution rights to the SW saga, then the 3D releases would not have been cancelled.

FOX's distribution contract for the Original Six films will expire in 2020.. that's really not too far away.. and these re-releases are worth hundreds of millions of dollars..
why would Disney throw FOX a bone, at all? why not just shut them out completely, and just wait until 2020?

then we'll see 3D theater releases and 3D blurays on a whole new release schedule for the entire 3D saga. with the "disney-DVD" logo on the box, instead of the FOX logo.
releasing ANYTHING sooner would be utter stupidity.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am man enough to admit i enjoyed seeing TPM 3D in the theater with my girlfriend and her son (he saw SW for the first time on the big screen, dressed as rebel commando :) . It was awesome and i loved every minute of it. I'm an a bigger OT Fan, but i also like the prequels, its all star wars and i think its all great! So it is sad that the other five are not being shown, but hey we do have Episode VII coming. Her son and I am excited (and not afraid to admit it)!

Last edited: